[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I finally hit the core of the difference between eastern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13

File: Kurata_robot.jpg (286KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
Kurata_robot.jpg
286KB, 550x550px
I think I finally hit the core of the difference between eastern and western mecha
Eastern Mecha: robots with cockpits
Western Mecha: vehicles with legs
Basically they go at the subject from completely opposite perspectives.
What do you think? Agree/Disagree?
>>
Eastern is more "a cool guy but huge and metal"
>>
File: great again.jpg (7KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
great again.jpg
7KB, 261x193px
>>14953446
I think you should stop trying to pigeon hole Western and Japanese mecha.
Ultimately the difference does not matter.
>>
>>14953446
so, I'm hoping Kuratas to crush the american bot, but I feel the japs aren't even bothering in preparing for the duel, like, they will probably forfeit it all
>>
>>14953453
This. Please stop this shit. Thank you.
>>
>>14953474
The japs actually have a bot, though.
>>
>>14953453
This.

There is no actual difference beyond the geographical location of origin. For every example you can think of that "defines" one side, the other side has an example that does the exact same thing. There is zero difference between the two what-so-ever.
>>
File: CvIvfAQVMAAvbCj.jpg large.jpg (267KB, 2048x1896px) Image search: [Google]
CvIvfAQVMAAvbCj.jpg large.jpg
267KB, 2048x1896px
Eastern Mecha: Are cool
Western Mecha: Are cool
>>
>>14953665
Here, here! Its not about what side of the world they come from... its about how many gigawatts of energy and megatons of explosive potential they can bring to bear on a target!
>>
>>14953474
lol this shit is never happening stupid
>>
>>14953670
so eastern?
>>
>>14953453
This.
>>
>>14953704
-Points to WH40k Titans and Bolos, not to mention Megas XLR et al-
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 564x564px
Western mecha are mostly destroid ripoffs and bayformers ripoffs
>>
>>14954215
Eastern mecha are mostly Gundam ripioffs
>>
File: russian robot.jpg (32KB, 622x350px) Image search: [Google]
russian robot.jpg
32KB, 622x350px
Every time someone says "eastern mecha" I always think of Russian Robots.
>>
>>14954289
Indirectly this makes them Zambot 3 ripoffs
>>
>>14954293
>>
File: 1395778760376.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1395778760376.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
>>14953446
Interesting theory, but its not as clear.

Macross for example have fighter-jet that turn into a robot with a cockpit in
Battletech which took japanese design is all about robot who happen to have a cockpit
Avatar's AMP look a little like gunship with leg but is actually meant to be the actor with robot gear.

My take would be :
Western author take the industrial age as reference with big visible pistons, plenty of cables, slate armor. Then they believe that utilitarian = ugly.
Eastern author imagine the future as sleek and unique purpose-built design. Then they add samourai helmet and katana.

But Pacific Rim and plenty other stuff show that ultimately everything is globalizing.
American understood their artist were shit and got inspired by japan, while japan understood Americunt were tired of their samourai and started having ugly mass produced expendable mechs.

We would have better luck saying that if the West consider their vehicles as expendable tools, the East is focusing on super-tech symbol

>>14953652
This except the "This"
>>
>>14956301
Japan did mecha as ugly mass produced expendable tools long before America did, and the West did giant robots as sleek super-tech symbols long before they started doing ugly mass produced expendable tools, shit probably long before Japan even did mecha anime.

So like the other post you quoted said
>There is no actual difference beyond the geographical location of origin. For every example you can think of that "defines" one side, the other side has an example that does the exact same thing. There is zero difference between the two what-so-ever.
>>
>>14956596
>long before Japan even did mecha anime
what is this american revisionism?
>>
File: iron_man.jpg (281KB, 1200x1860px) Image search: [Google]
iron_man.jpg
281KB, 1200x1860px
>>14957375
Most likely Iron Man. Older suits such as Bozo the Robot predate Stark's Get-Out-Of-Nam card, but they weren't sleek.
>>
File: 17229165886_e7d036438a_b.jpg (403KB, 816x1024px) Image search: [Google]
17229165886_e7d036438a_b.jpg
403KB, 816x1024px
>>14957375
Giant robots go back a very long way, anon.

Giant piloted robots don't go back as far, but still go back to before moving pictures were even a thing.
>>
>>14953446
Eastern good
Western bad

That's all
>>
>>14953446
>EastvsWest
that's kind of geographically limiting, can you provide your map denoting which countries are considered eastern and western?
what would inuit mecha riding mecha narwhal be considered as, as they live at the poles? is russia considered western or eastern?

mecha are mecha, stop trying to compartmentalise it into arbitrary shit.
>>
File: robotech_header_01_v1s.jpg (121KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
robotech_header_01_v1s.jpg
121KB, 720x480px
>>14953446
That's not true at all
>>
>>14956301
Ah but those "ugly" American designs indirectly trace back to Dougram & VOTOMS if you follow the thread. That's what weebshitter dont understand
>>
>>14957375
>What is Space age aesthetic
>What is the 1950s, 60s, and 70s?
Typical weeb completely ignorant outside of Japanese cartoons.
Theres a whole host of comic art and movies proving you wrong
>>
>>14958971
>Has unnecessary features like a head and human shaped arms
No. Im still right. Eastern mechs come from stuff like Gigantor, they just added cockpits.
Western mechs came from "yo what if this tank could step over shit"
>>
>>14961229
What's wrong with heads and arms?

A head gives a good place to mount bulky, high powered cameras/sensors, and in a lot of mecha the head also serves as a turret for machine guns/autocannons.
Though on most designs they are overly large and humanoid...

Having fully functional arms on a mech is more realistic and practical than not having them, sure just bolting guns to it would be easier to engineer, but it wouldn't allow the mech nearly as much versatility, arms can:
- Change weapons/tools without using a crane
- Move objects without an exposed human attaching a hook to them, and do so with much more precision.
- Help stand the mech back up if it falls
- serve as more mobile weapon mounting points, allowing the mech to shoot in directions it's torso isn't facing and around cover
- Humanoid arms have less joints than more complicated mechanical arms, without losing much usefulness, are easier to armor, are simpler machines thus cheaper and quicker to make.
- They also just look cool

In short western mech designs are dumb and boring and not as practical as they think they are
>>
>>14961229
>Im still right.
No, you're not.
>>14953652
>>
East? What's anything in other countries except jp
>>
File: image.jpg (130KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 768x1024px
>>14961448
>>
>>14961453
I'm not satisfied.
>>
>>14961456
C'mon someone, I just want to know.
>>
>>14961448
Taekwon V
Astro Plan
>>
>>14961229
Western mecha came from Macross' Destroids and their Battletech knockoffs. Probably the biggest influences are Tomahawk, Phalanx, and Defender.
>>
Japanese mechs = very cool with a bunch of innovative designs and design philsophies, as can be expected of over 50 years of making cartoon robots. there's a lot of shitters but that's to be expected when you make the most content
Western mechs = largely ripping off Shoji Kawamori from 30 years ago and bayformers. There's barely any interesting piloted or giant robots made by the West, there's a few like the Iron Giant or the dock loader from Alien

They're not equal partners. Stop saying Eastern when it's literally just Japan
>>
American robots are ashamed of themselves, Japanese robots are sincere
>>
>>14953446
Doesn't matter, thanks to internet magic all designers probably saw the same shows. Just look at Artstation, it's /m/ as fuck down there.
>>
>>14953453
cultures influence what come out of them
this is why across the world food,history,language,and entertainment is so different.

To not acknowledge this is to be blind to reality
>>
>>14957841
I saw this old video at my church years ago where some preacher was saying metropolis is apart of the illuminati because of the pentagram thing in the background
>>
>>14961795
Bayformers has some outstanding designs, not the concept artist's fault the movies sucked.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.