[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people like this guy? His directing style is so fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: original.jpg (895KB, 1800x2700px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
895KB, 1800x2700px
Why do people like this guy? His directing style is so fucking bland and boring.

He puts me to fucking sleep.
>>
Intellectual deficiency detected.
>>
File: 1478843651361.jpg (86KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1478843651361.jpg
86KB, 1000x800px
Low energy bait
>>
>>14939410
Get back to work, pajeet.
>>
>>14939420
>Low energy bait
You just described Oshii's entire directorial career.

Everything he does is low energy and sleep inducing.
>>
>>14939613
not patlabor 1
>>
>>14939480
>pajeet
nice projection poo in da loo
>>
>>14939412
t. pseudo intellectual
>>
>>14939410
I want to have sex with him. That's the most common reason.
>>
Oshii is a man who takes an awesome concept (police robots, cyborg cops, armored facists) and then executes them in the most boring manner possible. The only exceptions are Jin Roh and Patlabor. But my god, is ghost in the shell boring and pretentious as fuck. Why make an action movie when you can have cyborgs discuss philosophy. If I wanted to watch a discussion on philosophy I'd go watch a lecture.
>>
>>14940530
>exceptions are Jin Roh and Patlabor.
No they aren't
>>
>>14940559
Well Jin Roh was alright, it was pretty tense. And Patlabor is shenanigans. Nothing wrong with shenanigans. Even dull shenanigans.
>>
>>14940530
His Urusei Yatsura stuff was anything but boring. Then again, he didn't establish his style yet back then.
>>
>>14939410
When the character designs make everyone look like lifeless dolls.
>>
>>14940637
He did urusei yatsura? What the fuck happened to him? Was he cucked?
>>
>>14940755
Technically, he directed most of the show and a few movies, but yes. At some point down the line he was gonna collaborate with Takahata and Miyazaki, but their views clashed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamoru_Oshii
>>
>>14940755
Nah, more like he didn't have that much creative freedom back then. He did insert almost all those psychedelic/dream-like elements in the show which didn't exist in the manga, but when he made a movie all about that (Beautiful Dreamer) it got tons of criticism in Japan back then, even from Rumiko Takahashi herself, so after that he left and mostly worked on projects where he had greater control.
>>
I bet all of you would just love Talking Head, in that case.
>>
>>14940798
Ahitposting aside my problem with Oshii is that he's more concerned with shoving ideas down a viewer's throat than actually entertaining them.If someone works in a visual medium I would assume you'd first try to please the eye and then introduce ideas. Take for example Jin Roh, the reason I liked it so much was the fact that the story mostly took centre stage beside the allegory of Little Red Riding hood. But still Oshii's desire for smashing ideas into the viewer's brain still bled through even though he wasn't directing it.
>>
>>14940772
I remember reading an interview with Oshii and he sounds like the saddest dude in the world. All he cares about is his dog and apparently he hates his wife. Oshii's apparent beta cuckness is what pisses me off the most about him.
>>
Bear in mind that Oshii idolizes Godard and Tarkovsky. Oshii has mentioned his appreciated of Tarkovsky's Solaris in interviews, and I feel safe in saying that film would go over like a lead balloon with the crowd in this thread. Solaris has mindnumbing length, philosophizing, extended pointless montages like Tarkovsky's drive through Tokyo, and makes Kubrick's 2001 look like Mad Max: Fury Road. Call me a masochist, but I kind of enjoy that kind of punishment now and then, and being literally put to sleep by dry philosophy and inaction (Solaris does it every time).
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.