[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the Gundam movies good enough? 50 episodes is a lot of time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: gundman.jpg (28KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
gundman.jpg
28KB, 300x225px
Are the Gundam movies good enough? 50 episodes is a lot of time investment comparatively.

Same question for Zeta, Turn A, etc.
>>
I never saw 0079 but I heard they were good. Zeta movies... IMO I thought movie 1 and 3 were alright but movie 2 skips Dakar/kilimanjaro/Dijeh so it sucks.

Saw Turn A but I didn't think it was very good. don't bother with Seed/Destiny. AGE MOE was alright but it was more a retelling than anything else.
>>
File: vlcsnap-00068.png (804KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00068.png
804KB, 960x720px
>>14921688
0079's movies version is the only one that lives up to it's respective series. Most of the others have horrible pacing in comparison to their series. Or with the Zeta movies, the plot is different and includes new animation, so is best viewed later after seeing the series. And even though 0079's movie version is great, the series is still better. Even if it has more of pic related
>>
>>14921688
The Zeta movies are okay if you fucking hate Zeta.
>>
>50 episodes is a lot of time investment comparatively.

If you're going to balk at 50 episodes of a TV show, then Gundam isn't for you. The vast majority of Gundam series are in that neighborhood, and there are well over a dozen series and OVA's on top of that. And not all of the series have a movie to condense the content.

To answer your question, the 0079 movies tell the same story as the series, and leaves very little out. But they are not the same viewing experience, and the movies are a hit and miss in cutting stuff out. You get less QUALITY and less goofy stuff, but also less fights and less meat in terms of experiencing the world of UC. If you need to pick one, watch the series.

Zeta movies are not a substitute for the show. Don't watch them until after you watch the series. Turn A movies suck, and again you're barking up the wrong franchise if you need movies to substitute your enjoyment of the series.
>>
No cuck
>>
>>14921688
If you are trying to fast track your way through Gundam, the compilation films are serviceable. Zeta's "A New Translation" though is not a substitute for the Zeta story and some differences make the movie versions not canon. It's better to watch the Zeta TV show first and watch the movies some other time if you feel like it. And ZZ doesn't have a compilation movie, but it is however totally skippable if you want to save yourself 20+ hours of your life.

When it comes to the OVAs 0083 and 08th MST, it's better to just watch the entirety of the show (08th MST's movie is really just an elaborate recap episode of everything before the final assault).
>>
>>14921688
0079's are fine. You sacrifice some depth and character development for some better animation and a properly streamlined plot, especially in the back third. Generally, if you like the franchise, you want to watch both the movies and series for 0079 at some point.

Movies for the rest are garbage (Zeta's are very pretty garbage).

Incidentally, Ideon's compilation movies are weird because the first one is shit and a chunk of the second one is, but the rest of the second one is exceptional and basically required to complete the series.
>>
>>14921768
Ideon had one movie to recap the entire series and Be Invoked was the continuation. Be invoked is the only one of the two worth watching, and is better than any Gundam I'd say
>>
The 0079 Trilogy movies are canon anyway, so watch those. As a plus, they are in fact the superior version.

So just a quick recap: they are superior to the TV series and happen to be canon. Great!

As for the Zeta movies, skip them and instead watch the TV series. The movies are factually not as good as the TV series and are also NOT CANON.

Recap: Zeta TV series is really good and canon. Movies are bad and not canon.

Same with Turn A. Watch the series.
>>
>>14921797
Is it worth watching TV Ideon for Be Invoked?

>>14922011
>canon
OH BOY HERE WE GO
>>
>>14922042
>Is it worth watching TV Ideon for Be Invoked?
Yes. Ideon's kind of a slow series overall, but that's basically necessary to get the effect they were going for. Trying to speed it up for the compilation misses the point entirely.

>>14921797
A Contact isn't the whole series. It's more like 2/3-ish. I forget where Kitty Kitten's arc is in the show, but that's where Be Invoked starts (awkwardly, I might add).
>>
>>14921734
This.

"Hey guys, how can I get into this thing with as little investment as possible?"
That's you right now. I don't get why you'd want to fucking get into a series if you don't want to watch it. What's the rush? Trying to get in with the crowd or something? What's the point?
>>
>>14921688
The Mobile Suit Gundam movies are enjoyable and cut out a lot of the fluff the show had. They removed quite a bit of the silly aspects and kept the story down to what was necessary. But you will miss out on some enjoyable fluff as well. The MSG trilogy is great for just getting into the series and getting what you need to know. I'd recommend watching the series in its entirety if you like the movies though.

Zeta on the other hand changes a number of things and really fucks the pace of the story. As others said, it's best to watch the series and then the movie another time to form your own opinion.

ZZ doesn't have movies and really is best just avoided. Catch the highlights because fuck that series was brutal to get through. It does however set up important pieces for later stuff like Char's Counter Attack.

OVA's for UC really provides a lot of the greater stuff in the gaps of the series. War In the Pocket, Stardust Memory, and 08th MS Team are must watch. Char's Counter Attack is important as the conclusion MSG storyline. Unicorn is really only enjoyable for seeing cameos in delicious 1080p.
>>
>>14922042

>core
>booster

;D
>>
>>14921688
If you don't invest the time, you won't get invested in the characters and story. That time really makes a big difference in just how much the viewer cares.
>>
>>14921688
>50 episodes is a lot of time investment The truth is that I would prefer to dedicate all of my time to the Gundam.
>>
File: Saylabath.png (414KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Saylabath.png
414KB, 720x540px
The MSG movies give you the GOAT shower scene in the franchise
>>
>>14926041
>not Uso getting /ss/-raped in a bathtub
>>
The 0079 movies - fully watchable and actually the preferred way to watch the MSG story for many.

Zeta Movies - Bad pacing in movie 2 leads to the entire Dakar speech (A pivotal moment for the series and Char in general) out. Ending is changed to be happier and you no longer get the pyrrhic victory. Animation whiplash as the animation switches from 1985 animation to new 2005 animation.

Turn A movies - Terrible paced and leave a lot out. Movie 1 is hit especially bad and it's REALLY hard to care about the characters if you don't already know their backgrounds beforehand. Highly recommended to skip these and just watch the series.
>>
File: 1477431393604.png (99KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1477431393604.png
99KB, 320x240px
>>
>>14921688
0079, Zeta, 0083, and Destiny did them well, Turn A, SEED, and Age not so much
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.