[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Captain Kirk is kind of an asshole. He keeps running in to all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 267
Thread images: 56

Captain Kirk is kind of an asshole.

He keeps running in to all these alien entities with amazing super-technological powers that can solve all of humanity's issues, but he basically kills them every time because they're a little handsy after several millennia of isolation and won't let the Enterprise leave.

>oh you can cure all illness and eliminate anger and sorrow? well fuck you we don't want to stay on this planet, die
>oh you can reverse aging and materialize shit? well fuck you we don't want to stay on this planet, die
>oh you can materialize anything and make our wildest dreams come true? well fuck you, we don't want to stay on this planet, die

Would it seriously hurt the guy to say,
"Hold up. WE, the crew of this ship, aren't cool with hanging around here. We have places to be. But there are assuredly hundreds, thousands, potentially even millions of humans and other lifeforms in the Federation that might take you up on this offer. If you let us go, we'll pass out some pamphlets, see if you get any takers."
>>
>>14916513
Fuck yeah humanity.
All of you aliens can suck on my cock.
>>
>>14916513
go cry more about how you dont have any gods left to kill anymore klingon
>>
Apollo was kind of an asshole though
>>
>>14916587
All he wanted was some laurels and a deer, was that so much to ask? Kirk was willing to sacrifice one or more of his away team to get out of there, but killing a deer was out of the question.
>>
>>14916591
>All he wanted was some laurels and a deer

Also bitches
>>
>>14916591
it's like "If you give a mouse a cookie", and the next thing you know you have to open up an entire block of storefronts with pizza joints with alien murals and decapitated kids and all sorts of crazy shit just to keep the stupid alien god satisfied
>>
>>14916595
He accepted everything in the end. What he wasn't aware of was that there's undoubtedly still humans left who DO care about Gods (and Kirk himself is monotheistic still since it's the 60s). Even in later series that take place decades after, there's Federation-dwelling humans who just want to live a simple life of farming and shit, and TOS still has frontier planets that do just that.

Like the planet that had the malady-curing spores on it. They just wanted everyone to be happy. Sure, they took over everyone's mind and turned them into hippies, BUT, they cured all diseases and physical ailments. Surely it was worth keeping a few spores around in a lab so someone could set up a medical facility.
>oh looks like you're dying
>here go to the facility on Planet Whatever Six
>they'll wave a plant in your face, you'll feel real good, then someone will call you a faggot and piss you off until you return to normal
>>
Apollo was kind of a dick and deserved it. Also fun fact: Apollo's actor went on to dub a lot of /m/ anime. He's Alex Rosewater and the narrator in Giant Robo.
>>
>>14916673
Neat
>>
>>14916513
>>oh you can cure all illness and eliminate anger and sorrow? well fuck you we don't want to stay on this planet, die
Socially disruptive, especially in the federation context.
>>oh you can reverse aging and materialize shit? well fuck you we don't want to stay on this planet, die
Socially and economically disruptive, especially in the federation context.
>>oh you can materialize anything and make our wildest dreams come true? well fuck you, we don't want to stay on this planet, die
Socially and economically disruptive, especially in the federation context.

You can't expect beings that can materialze all kinds of shit out of thin air not be destabilizing and extremely dangerous to society, especially a galactic federation, and things like immortality are the bane of any kind of society or species.

You aren't fit to be a commander of the federation fleet, boyo, you can't even grasp the underlying socioeconomical and philosophical commentary of the show.
And it was really just an excuse for Kirk to use his OP karate chop and mad shooting and CQC skillz.
>>
>>14917437
The Kirk double overhead smash is no mere karate chop.
>>
>>14917437
But the Federation has technology that can literally materialize shit.
>>
>>14917437
Even TOS had food replicators.
They also routinely mucked around with non-warp civilizations without even trying to disguise their own capabilities and gave pretty much zero shit about first contact.

The entire TOS Enterprise crew does whatever the fuck they want at all times. They're utterly amoral. Hell, here's Spock looking for Vulcan lolis to bang during his pon farr.
>>
>>14918345
frontiersmen are always just bandits with a paycheck. Sometimes even without the paycheck
>>
>>14918345
>Hell, here's Spock looking for Vulcan lolis to bang during his pon farr.

The pon farr remains to be one of those concepts that I find really silly, but I can't hate. Whenever scifi dabbles into sexual matters I just find myself entranced by what is basically the author's fetishes being put up on display so publicly.

See: TNG's use of foot rubs as an analogy for sex.

It's really funny to go through old Sci-Fi. You'll end up with a fancy world where the lines between reality and fantasy are blurred, then while some big conspiracy is going on you'll get

>He couldn't help but admire her chiseled body, and soon found himself teasing her biceps with the gentle sway of his fingers.
>>
>>14918558
The TNG crew were pretty professional for the most part.
>>
>one of the best fights in the series so far is a different ship's captain fighting a fucking redshirt
>said redshirt actually does really well
>>
>>14918615
TNG wasn't the frontier. They were in the developed parts compared to the other Treks.
>>14918579
still in the lead for me for OH BY THE WAY SEX DID I MENTION SEX BECAUSE SEX IS SEXY is the last two Foundation books Asimov did
>>
>>14918621
Was TNG not seeking out new life, new civilization, and boldly going where no man had gone before on its continuing mission?
>>
>>14918621
I never looked up what was the deal with the later Foundation stuff.

It went downhill pretty quickly and I always wondered what was going on.
>>
>>14918628
they're worth going through for completion's sake and to find out it was robots all along, but from what I heard Asimov was responding to critics citing the lack of sexy times in his stuff by sexing it up in the last two.
>>14918625
it was, but it seems they're a lot less in the middle of nowhere and on their own compared to TOS

Like TOS would be exploring the area at the end of the map, TNG is filling in the map between known spaces.

Of course everything is based on whatever the writers thought it should be that week, so ymmv.
>>
>>14918633
>no robot sex
What's the point
>>
>>14918634
we needed to hear about Flash Bazbo's sex adventures and find out there was really a keikaku all along like every other Foundation thing
>>
>>14918638
>Flash Bazbo
man we're old
>>
File: Shatner in 2015 ;_;.jpg (229KB, 977x1353px) Image search: [Google]
Shatner in 2015 ;_;.jpg
229KB, 977x1353px
>>14918651
Everyone on /m/ is old. We're 4chan's board of old sci-fi otaku.
>>
File: 1432521316718.jpg (92KB, 358x350px) Image search: [Google]
1432521316718.jpg
92KB, 358x350px
>>14918681
>This pic
>MFW
>>
>>14918579
>He couldn't help but admire her chiseled body, and soon found himself teasing her biceps with the gentle sway of his fingers.
I don't know who wrote that but he has excellent fetishes and is my brother for life.
>>
>>14916513
Not Japanese = Not /m/

Remember, mecha is a Japanese term

Fuck off to /co/ or /tv/
>>
>>14918757
Nobody but you cares sperg. We have Star Trek threads and other western threads all the time and have for ages so fuck off.
>>
>>14918763
You're just supposed to ignore him.
>>
>>14918633
It sorta felt like the critics of Foundation were a big part of what defined the latter parts of it.

>>14918741
I just sorta came up with that on the spot.

I didn't want to dig through Ellison or Heinlen and start looking for sexy time quotes.
>>
>>14918763
Newfags have star trek threads. Not /m/ fuck off to your normalfag boards
>>
File: food_cubes.jpg (41KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
food_cubes.jpg
41KB, 576x432px
>>14918345
>Even TOS had food replicators.
Food resequencers actually. You need tapes with the appropriate program to get food you want like ice cream or sandwiches. However typical fare in Starfleet ships with Food resequencers are these colorful cubes. Yum!
>>
>>14918822
They were handled pretty sloppily. There'e one episode where a man out of time is milling about in THE TRANSPORTER ROOM and the operator there asks him if he wants something to eat. Guy asks for chicken soup, operator presses one button on the wall, and the automat opens up and there's some chicken soup. Shit was faster than actual replicators.
>>
>>14918651
>>14918681
to be fair I'm not even able to claim any original knowledge of National Lampoon's audio work, I heard the Flash Bazbo bits around 1999 or so off a friend's cd set of stuff from them.
>>
>>14916673
He was also the voice of Lt. Col Kojima in Gundam the 08th MS Team.
Vanship Union Operator in Last Exile
Harry Roland in Planets
voices in Ghost in the Shell
Capt. Dry in Gundam 0083
Theo Fairchild in Gundam F91
Admiral Haines in Lensman
He's as /m / as they come.
>>
>>14918822
>>14918828
>tea earl grey hot
>>
>>14918828
Maybe there's slaves working behind the wall preparing food and ready to serve at a moment's notice.
>>
>>14918854
That's not too questionable for TOS, so maybe.
>>
>>14918854
JK Rowling what are you doing on /m/
>>
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-next-generation-meet-james-camerons-aliens-comic-book-crossover-942033

Can someone please fill me in on how xenomorphs are a problem for a ship that can teleport them into space every time
>>
>>14918828
>>In 2268, while the USS Enterprise was infested with tribbles, it was discovered that they had gotten into the food processors aboard the ship through one of the ship's air vents. (TOS: "The Trouble with Tribbles"; DS9: "Trials and Tribble-ations")

>>One of the reasons Rojan cited for neutralizing non-essential Enterprise personnel during the trip to the Andromeda Galaxy was to conserve the food synthesizer's resources. (TOS: "By Any Other Name")

>>Nurse Chapel offered the surviving children of the Starnes Exploration Party a selection of cards with differing flavors of ice cream to choose from. All they had to do was pick a card and the computer would mix their favorite combination. (TOS: "And the Children Shall Lead")

The precursor to the Food Resequencer in Enterprise is the Protein Resequencer. So unlike Replicators, which uses energy to matter to produce food and objects, Resequencers likely synthesize food stores from one form to another.
>>
>>14918884
Aliens have skills at finding places that are difficult to remove them from. Like when Superman fought them and they were smart enough to be on a sunlight-proof space station.
>>
>>14918884
How can you lock-on to something with no lifesigns?
>>
>>14918877
House elves like their job, dammit.
>>
>>14918998
Did you know that every house elf that has ever been freed has died?

#wizardtruths
>>
>>14918978
They transport inanimate objects all the time. And we know xenomorphs are easily detected by motion. Couldn't the ship's computer, which conceivably knows where all of its own parts are, look at an area where motion is detected and beam everything there that isn't one of its own components away? Or, hell, just scramble the signal entirely and annihilate the thing.
>>
>>14918621
>still in the lead for me for OH BY THE WAY SEX DID I MENTION SEX BECAUSE SEX IS SEXY is the last two Foundation books Asimov did
Ringworld's pretty good for that. "All contracts are signed by fucking."
>>
>>14918885
>So unlike Replicators, which uses energy to matter to produce food and objects
This depends on the episode. Some times (notably in Voyager) it's implied to be pure energy->matter, which is mind bogglingly ignorant of the scales of energy involved. Other times it's supposed to be a fancied-up transporter taking things from stores of raw materials elsewhere in the ship and reassembling them on a molecular level.

>>14918822
I like the yellow ones.
>>
>>14919473
In Voyager, they were always bitching about their antimatter stores with regard to their ability to create food. I'm pretty sure the antimatter was simply used to create energy, which was converted into matter by the replicators, but that raises a lot of other questions about the apparently very un-rationed use of general power compared to replicators. It's possible the replicators simply use hideously large amounts of power by comparison, but this is the crew who left the holodeck running 24/7 for weeks, and that thing was always replicating food and drink.
>>
>>14920259
>It's possible the replicators simply use hideously large amounts of power by comparison, but this is the crew who left the holodeck running 24/7 for weeks, and that thing was always replicating food and drink.
Yes, the excuse for Neelix's kitchen was to conserve energy, but of course this is Voyager. The holodeck thing was justified in one episode by saying they have their own power source, but then you wonder why couldn't they use it for other systems. Again, Voyager.
>>
File: tricorder.gif (284KB, 814x618px) Image search: [Google]
tricorder.gif
284KB, 814x618px
How does anyone read anything on a tricorder, medical or technical? Especially the old round ones in TOS that don't have screens or lights at all, just whirring noises. I've seen LCD poker games you can pick up at the dollar store with more displayed information.
>>
File: 182he619qrzpxjpg.jpg (40KB, 635x329px) Image search: [Google]
182he619qrzpxjpg.jpg
40KB, 635x329px
>>14920365
>>
>>14920646
I'm pretty sure a doctor's never diagnosed my space plague with an early 90s cell phone.
>>
>>14920365
It blips and beeps in morse code
>>
>>14920861
But your 90s cell phone doesn't have 24th century's technology.
>>
>>14920983
Unless 24th century technology is shooting a laser into my eye and drawing all the relevant information on my retina I don't see how I'm supposed to get a full medical work-up on someone by staring at that tiny screen for four seconds.
>>
>>14920272
I love Voyager because of how dumb it is when doing stuff like this. Killing off Harry Kim and replacing him with an identical copy of himself was a goddamn riot.
>>
>>14921081
And that's why you application to Starfleet Academy was denied.
>>
>>14921150
>we heard your baby died
>here's another baby from an alternate dimension
>>
>>14918681
Tfw no fantasy equivalent
>>
>>14921171
>implying we wouldn't talk about Record of Lodoss War here
Also, a lot of 80s sci-fi and earlier is just legit fantasy with the occasional laser sword or "the demons were robots from space all along".
>>
>>14920272
They did mention at one point that holodeck power was incompatible with the rest of the ship's power. It's stupid, but it sort of works... until that episode where the Hirogen cosplay as Nazis and tell Harry to convert their power cells to run more holodeck, which is apparently pretty easy.

>>14921150
>>14921160
Some of my favourite stupid shit in the series. Hell, it's nice that at least sometimes there's consequences even though there aren't.

I think at one point they also cured death and never mentioned it again.
>>
Looking back the start fleet was very bad at its job of meeting new cultures and not interfering in their ways
>>
>>14921160
>>14921472
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k
>>
>>14921502
A lot of the time it feels more like "meeting new cultures and interfering like hell with their ways but trying to make it so they don't realize until much later if ever"
>>
File: 1466260036973.gif (441KB, 1100x582px) Image search: [Google]
1466260036973.gif
441KB, 1100x582px
>>14918633
I should have known better than to hover over every spoiler tag, but damn, this one broke me. I was planning to save the later, controversial entries till after I read the robot detective series, but is there even any point now?

Was that the biggest reveal that I've just spoiled myself of? Please tell me there's more content or revelations than that one.

For goodness sake, Don't tell me what they are. Just let me know if there's any more interesting content in the later books.
>>
>>14921906
I seem to recall Asimov making sure all the later Foundations had a twist revealed to the reader at the end.

Robot detective series is really good and has less books so definitely go for that, and then come back to Foundation.
>>
>>14921472
>I think at one point they also cured death and never mentioned it again.
They mention that standard Starfleet medical science can revive the recently deceased (as of a few minutes), but someone who's been dead for like half an hour is too much. Neelix comes in super-dead after some bullshit and Seven is all, "Oh, the Borg use NANOPROBES to reactivate damaged drones all the time, lemme go beep boop bop and done."

Cue several other crewmen dying later in the series and all they get is two fingers on the neck and, "They're dead." Ominous music, cut to commercial break, no one gives a shit.

There was also that alien race that took dead bodies of any race and somehow converted them into living aliens again.
>>
One thing I never understood in Voyager was how other groups kept catching up with them. They're moving in one direction, they generally have faster ships, and presumably these other guys have better things to do than fly for two years to chase down Voyager to exact their revenge before fucking off again, and occasionally Voyager does some superscience shit that jumps them 4-10 years ahead in their journey.

And people STILL catch up with them.
>>
>>14921919
Thanks for the reassurance.

So Asimov took parts made the original trilogy work and made it a bit of a formula and added sexy bits. Sounds like a fun read.
>>
>>14921927
Only the Borg and the Hirogen had a legit excuse for that as they were virtually everywhere to start with once they were first encountered.
>>
>>14920365
>Especially the old round ones in TOS that don't have screens
They do have tiny little screens that resemble miniture CRT TV's before those existed (sasuga Star Trek) The actors never look at them, though.

Really the prop designers need to talk to the directors about how the props should be used, the the directors convey that to the actors, but production is a mess.
>>
>>14921990
The Kazon catch up repeatedly. Yeah, they're in Kazon space for a while near the start, but there are distinct sects and it's always the fucking Nistrum (and the same characters in it, too).

The Hirogen also manage to send technology gained from Voyager AHEAD of Voyager by quite a ways, and they don't even have their communication network at that point.
>>
With Spock Prime dead, did he bother to write down everything that might be encountered in future for alt Spock (Jack the Ripper, NOMAD, V'Ger, the neural parasites, etc) or was he all Spoilers. until the very end?
>>
File: spocksummonssatan.gif (977KB, 330x220px) Image search: [Google]
spocksummonssatan.gif
977KB, 330x220px
Everyone is an asshole to Spock.
>ha ha, your ears are pointed
>how many times can we compare you to literal Satan?
>t. spacefaring futuremen who call every "deity" they meet a punk-ass bitch and kill it except, apparently, Jesus
>>
>>14922235
Do you think Spock of all people would fuck with predestination paradoxes? I mean, more than he has to.
>>
>giant impenetrable barrier at the edge of the galaxy
>somehow other things keep getting in or leaving
>>
>>14922235
Didn't they already have someone ask Spock Prime what was going to happen in the future and he brushed them off?
>>
>>14923977
>>14922235
I don't think it would be actually useful to even ask him about the future since they managed to alter how the timeline would go thanks to Spock going backwards in time and all the fuckery with the Narada

I just wish they would use the borgs already, I want to see how they would make them even more horrifying
>>
>>14921472
>until that episode where the Hirogen cosplay as Nazis and tell Harry to convert their power cells to run more holodeck, which is apparently pretty easy.

IIRC what they were having him do was convert corridors into holodeck roon.
>>
>>14921922
>They mention that standard Starfleet medical science can revive the recently deceased (as of a few minutes), but someone who's been dead for like half an hour is too much.
In fairness we can do that now. As long enough brain cells haven't died, it's possible to revive someone without it fucking them over too bad.
>>
>>14924019
It was both.

>KIM: By cutting through the bulkheads on decks four, five and six we've been able to expand both holodeck grids by five thousand square metres.
>KARR: More.
>KIM: I can't give you any more. Not without compromising Voyager's primary systems.
>KARR: Then compromise them.
>KIM: Look, holodecks require a tremendous amount of energy. I've already rerouted power from all nonessential systems. Anything more, and we'll start losing propulsion, deflectors, even life support.
>KARR: I'll transfer a supply of power nodules from my vessel. Integrate them into your systems. I want to expand the holo-projectors into all surrounding sections. Replicate enough emitters for the task.
>>
>>14923038
That's not what a predestination paradox is. A predestination paradox would give him the freedom to do whatever he wanted in the time stream because it would have always been that way according to his own timeline. I don't think Star Trek has ever done time travel that way.
>>
>>14923036
Don't forget:
>So what if your entire culture is based on traits that are generally beneficial to all sapient lifeforms? Shut the fuck up and let me stick this fork in a power outlet!
>DAMN IT MAN, COLORING OUTSIDE THE LINES IS HUMAN NATURE! YOU'D KNOW THAT IF YOUR MOTHER WASN'T A TRAITOR TO THE HUMAN RACE!

I mean, it's pretty messed up in general, but even worse in the context that his race is the only reason humans can make fun of aliens in the first place.
>>
Anyone else disapointed at the dismal amount of stuff for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek?
>>
>>14924453
Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be some good news about Discovery coming out any day n--
>Fuller is out
ahahahaha welp
>>
>>14924413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTtKmCk123A
McCoy is always like four shots of Saurian brandy away from saying this shit and meaning it.
>>
>>14921177
Not without /a/ crossboarders screaming NOT /m/ and abusing the report button like they love to do
>>
>>14924472
The solution is to put a giant robot and some other subject nobody cares about in the OP and then spend the rest of the thread talking about whatever the fuck.
>>
>>14921906
Its REALLY not that much of a spoiler. Its like knowing that Turn A exists when you start watching 0079
>>
>>14924472
>>14924473
You're both cancer if you think spamming /m/ with non-mecha is okay. That said, Star Trek belongs here. Record of Lodoss War does not.
>>
>>14924453
No, I've grown to expect that they're kind of half-assing the franchise at this point. Really wish it hadn't come to this, but I doubt it'll get better.
>>
File: 1478838217382.jpg (80KB, 616x594px) Image search: [Google]
1478838217382.jpg
80KB, 616x594px
>>14916513
>Captain Kirk is kind of an asshole
u dun it now arry porer
>>
>>14924653
>Why you using a derogatory term as a derogatory term?
>>
>>14924653
Bill Shatner is the hero we need.
>>
>>14924653
>William Shatner would never be friends with a real-world Spock
>but he would try to sell him cheap hotel rooms
>>
Who mourns for Adonis is the peak of TOS atheist writing.
>>
>>14925194
>Mankind has no need for gods. We find the one quite adequate.
"Peak atheist" for TOS isn't very atheistic at all.
>>
>>14925448
Those were the words that would hurt Adonis the most.
>>
>>14925194
That would be TNG's "Justice".
>>
So I just watched the last movie.

What the hell was up with that? Why do you even need the bioweapon when you have a fucking Mining drone fleet that pretty much overwhelms any conventional planetary army? how did Idris Elba become an alien? Why are Miner ships so fucking powerful?
>>
>>14925653
>how did Idris Elba become an alien?
Side effect of the life extension tech makes you somewhat like the people you drained.
>Why are Miner ships so fucking powerful?
The aliens that built them stuck a lot of stat points in armour. It's worth keeping in mind that that's really all they've got, other than numbers. The ships aren't even armed.
>Why do you even need the bioweapon when you have a fucking Mining drone fleet that pretty much overwhelms any conventional planetary army?
He wanted to kill everyone on the base and then use it himself. Throwing wave after wave of his drones at it would've resulted in the successful capture of some wreckage.
>>
>>14924653
>>
File: spock_1024.jpg (66KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
spock_1024.jpg
66KB, 620x465px
>>
No.
No.
I'm fucking done.
You can't keep pulling this shit, Star Trek.

>another planet that coincidentally developed exactly like Earth, down to the same language, symbols, political crises, and even proper nouns
>>
>>14928402
they had to work with stock shit laying around the studio a lot
>>
>>14928408
It's just so unnecessary. There's no reason for the American flag to be here! The notion that a group of people were kicked off of their land in an ancient war and just now retook it doesn't necessitate a parallel to a fucking American-Asiatic Communist War where the Commies won! I'm all for alternate history, but you can't just visit Planet Whatifthenaziswon Beta.
>>
>>14928422
Be gentle. They were trying to invent preachy scifi tv. It can't all be Devil In The Dark.
>>
File: commander.jpg (37KB, 528x544px) Image search: [Google]
commander.jpg
37KB, 528x544px
"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."
>>
>>14916673
Apollo's actor also reprised his role in Star Trek Continues.
https://youtu.be/3G-ziTBAkbQ
>>
File: rikerzoom2.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
rikerzoom2.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>14928490
>>
>>14923036
>spocksummonssatan.gif

This has been reposted since the early 2000's (note the Teletoon logo), but that doesn't happen in the episode. It's two separate clips from the episode merged together.
>>
>>14925194
>Who mourns for Adonis is the peak of TOS atheist writing.

That would be "Who Watches the Watchers".

A bronze age level atheist civilization meets advanced technology they mistake for their ancient gods, and a prophet tries to revive the religion.
>>
>>14928402

Original Series is kinda silly. You roll with it. It's awesome.
>>
>>14918884
Because they're cool murder aliens so it's a cool fun crossover to have. It's like you've never ever been exposed to any form entertainment.
>>
Worst red shirt death?

The guys who got accidentally beamed into the vacuum of space because the Enterprise de-orbited a planet without anyone realizing it probably had a rough go of things.
>>
File: Van_Mayter_dead.jpg (34KB, 685x543px) Image search: [Google]
Van_Mayter_dead.jpg
34KB, 685x543px
>>14932524
Worst gold shirt death?

That one engineering lady that got trapped between decks while in that dark matter nebula.
>>
>>14932711
Transporter'll fix that.
>>
File: AtAr-U L-Um.jpg (395KB, 1153x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AtAr-U L-Um.jpg
395KB, 1153x1080px
>>
>>14936825
>Ke
>YU
>>
>>14936839
Also
>L-Um
>>
File: 1412626779659.jpg (21KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
1412626779659.jpg
21KB, 500x336px
Do you agree or disagree with Star Trek's vision of the future for humans?
>>
>>14936990
100%
How the fuck do they acquire necessities or anything else for that matter
>>
>>14937007
Replicators. Machines made life stupid easy so everyone has free time to kill.
They still have work tho, which is odd. People work because they've been mind fucked into thinking that work is what you work to earn.
>>
>>14937016
there's neets who loaf around doing nothing, they just don't make tv shows about them
>>
>>14937007
>>14937016
They gather base materials to replicate into various objects. So there is still industry. I assume that every citizen has a basic income, but you can earn more through various forms of work.
>>
>>14937031
Alternate timeline Tom Paris, for instance, seems to have lived entirely dicking around playing pool.

>>14937034
Money's not a thing, mostly. Makes Starfleet officers gambling at Quark's a bit confusing, though.
>>
>>14936990
No, because greed is good.
>>
>>14937558
The Federation has credits.
>>
>>14937623
Sometimes. Other times (and at any time, if you'd asked Roddenberry) there was no Federation currency of any kind, credits or otherwise.

Like so much of the franchise, consistency is not a strong point, though I think the "no money" angle shows up more often.
>>
>>14932524
>The guys who got accidentally beamed into the vacuum of space because the Enterprise de-orbited a planet without anyone realizing it probably had a rough go of things.

what episode?
>>
>>14937886
the one with the demon and the kids?
>>
File: 1477118448825.png (301KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477118448825.png
301KB, 720x480px
>>
>>14937016
People work because they need something to do in their lives beyond endlessly consuming holoprograms. It's like old folk who retire and then mope around the house for five months going absolutely fucking nuts because they can only watch so much TV; they just want to DO something, to produce something meaningful, to learn some new shit.

Now, there are mooches who live off basic income in the Federation forever or develop holoaddiction, but they're rare and no one writes and episode about them unless they're played by Dwight Shultz.
>>
>>14937894
>>14937886
Yes, S03E05, And The Children Shall Lead.
They use spooky children of the corn mind-powers to get Sulu to steer the ship towards a colony of billions without an order, and trick everyone into seeing the planet on the view screen.

Makes me wonder how shitty the transporter controls are that the guy manning them didn't realize there was no planet down there anymore, because no one in that room was being mind-fucked by the kids. How does the TOS transporter even work? "Yeah, just send them 22,000 miles straight down."
>>
>>14938662
This image is great. Thank you for it. Even if it is the wrong thread.
>>
File: 1477183495497 copiar.jpg (127KB, 682x477px) Image search: [Google]
1477183495497 copiar.jpg
127KB, 682x477px
>>
>>14938695
I like to think they're so used to orders that sound insane because they're so remote from the exposition happening on the bridge that they're just willing to do it no questions asked.
>>
>>14921858
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k
>PIGxMEN

What the fuck?
>>
File: firstcontactuniforms.jpg (28KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
firstcontactuniforms.jpg
28KB, 600x300px
What's the best Trek uniform and why is it First Contact's?
>>
>>14942523
Those are the worst by far. I absolutely hated it whenever switched to those grey uniforms.

Here's the best variation between TNG and First Contact IMO.
>>
>>14936990
Man fuck space hippies.
>>
>>14942609
>Wow, they work to BETTER THEMSELVES and the REST OF HUMANITY? Haha, what cucks! Hippies, amirite guise? PRAISE KEK!!!1
>>
>>14942622
Where the fuck did that come from?
>>
>>14942523
The TOS movie sweaters look so comfy, but I have to agree. Late season DS9/First Contact is best. Some departmental colour badging while actually looking like uniforms.
>>
>>14942625
Plus, you've got sweet shirts.
>>
File: 1433862100249.gif (2MB, 288x216px) Image search: [Google]
1433862100249.gif
2MB, 288x216px
>>14942625
>Some departmental colour badging while actually looking like uniforms.
Except you can't tell the colors at a glace because they're mostly hidden under the jacket. The Voyager/early DS9 uniforms look business while having easily identifiable colors.
>>
>>14942696
Considering the uniforms are constantly changing based on ship, location in the galaxy, and year-to-year, you'd think Starfleet would just say "fuck it, wear whatever as long as it's got some kind of red/amber/teal going on".
>>
>>14942737
They should just wear sashes like Worf, but with color codes.
>>
>>14928496
I watched the first 4 episodes and honestly this is a lot better than I expected. The Lolani episode I could easily see having been a real TOS episode considering its ending.
>>
>>14942696
I don't know, man. I never had a problem telling from the neck bit. Voyager/early DS9 are alright, but the unzippable bit reminds me of a discount costume made of felt and/or McCoy's clothes when he first shows up in TMP.

At least they're still well ahead of early TNG.
>>
>>
File: star trek cleansing towelette.jpg (374KB, 1600x1477px) Image search: [Google]
star trek cleansing towelette.jpg
374KB, 1600x1477px
>>14944775
>>
>>14944775
I thought everyone was horribly off model for a second until I remembered the Cage existed.
>>
>>14944791
I can just imagine McCoy screaming at Spock to wipe the scent of brimstone off himself, you damned devil computer.
>>
>>14945169
Spock keeps them around to give to McCoy to be a bitch about cleanliness and humans being illogical about it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGpDo99KrZc
>>
File: jjborg.jpg (3MB, 984x5896px) Image search: [Google]
jjborg.jpg
3MB, 984x5896px
>the new Abramsverse Borg can have facial hair and skin tones other than "dead clam"
>>
I really want to watch TNG again, but the last time I saw it all the way through was just a year or two ago. I need to spice it up.

Are there full Japanese dubs for it like there are for DS9? Where could I find those? Any famous VAs?
>>
File: ProphetsAreUp.jpg (84KB, 581x740px) Image search: [Google]
ProphetsAreUp.jpg
84KB, 581x740px
>It's a "Ferengi side plot takes over the main plot" episode
>>
File: Rule of Acquisition No.69.jpg (260KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Rule of Acquisition No.69.jpg
260KB, 960x720px
>>14946067
The episodes should all or mostly be up on niconico douga iirc.

>>14946174
(You)
>>
>>14945251
>Somehow lazier and sloppier design than the original versions

Yeah, that's pretty accurate to the spirit of the films.
>>
File: master of the obvious.jpg (37KB, 377x480px) Image search: [Google]
master of the obvious.jpg
37KB, 377x480px
>>14916513
>Captain Kirk is kind of an asshole.
>>
>>14945251
Well, it's [current year]. If they took his color out, they'd be accused of white-washing.
>>
File: 1479559245852.jpg (39KB, 600x243px) Image search: [Google]
1479559245852.jpg
39KB, 600x243px
Where were you when impulse drives became real?

http://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published
>>
File: iggy pop.jpg (24KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
iggy pop.jpg
24KB, 640x480px
>>14946174
>It's a Iggy Pop plays a Vorta of all things episode
>>
>>14947267
That's not how impulse drives work, but it is cool.
>>
>>14945221
Holy freaking Takei in a pageboy cut.
>>
>>14945251
So now they're colorwashing albinos!
>>
>>14947267
Unfortunately this is just a peer review pass to eliminate some methodology errors. It hasn't ruled out equipment errors.
>>
>>14948100
It ruled out everything but thermal expansion, I believe
>>
>>14937558
>>14937623
>>14937759
In DS9 at least I was under the impression Starfleet officers received some kind of stipend for commerce with non-Federation cultures, which would include personal spending money. They don't need it in proper Federation space, but in a multicultural hub of trade and transport like DS9 it's essential. That or Quark just runs up a tab for them which Starfleet Command picks up back on Earth.

Logically the Federation would have to have some kind of financial resources if only to trade with cultures outside of it that don't have replicators everywhere.
>>
>>14946067
Data is Yazan and Worf is Ghiren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JShPVYFajpM
>>
File: mpv-shot0128.jpg (32KB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0128.jpg
32KB, 720x304px
Im 13 minutes into beyond and already depressed
>>
>>14948165
>Data is Yazan
>Sir, if you do not cease this behavior, I shall be forced to violate you
>>
>>14948780

Jesus Christ, what does that make Lor then
>>
>>14948792
Double Yazan
>>
File: star trek beyond.jpg (172KB, 1100x800px) Image search: [Google]
star trek beyond.jpg
172KB, 1100x800px
Huh. That was actually really good. Actually felt like a proper Star Trek adventure. WHY COULDN'T THE OTHER TWO BE LIKE THAT!?
>>
>>14949077
Now, I don't want to put the blame squarely on J.J. Abram, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman's shoulders, but it is entirely their fault we couldn't have more intelligent ST movies.

Turns out when you put people who care about the franchise and who understand characterization and progression in charge, you get a better product. Who knew?
>>
>>14949649

Seriously. It was just a nice simple story about the enterprise crew being stuck on a hostile planet. All the characterization and emotional stuff was there and straight forward but came off as far more genuine and I was legit enthralled by them having to get the old broken ship up and running again.

The use of the Beastie Boys was amazing this time around
>>
>>14949749
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1t0Zlo8VJ4
>>
>when you're just trying to get through the day but this Jem'Hadar emo keep talking about how he's already dead
>>
>>14950196
>HAHAHAHAH LOOK AT US WE REPLACED THE SONG! AREN'T WE FUNNY! REFERENCE!

Yeah fuck them and fuck you. Also it's been however many years and their flashes still look like they'd get laughed off of newgrounds.
>>
File: TNGS1008.png (892KB, 932x698px) Image search: [Google]
TNGS1008.png
892KB, 932x698px
>>14951250
>Going to newground after 2002
>>
>>14951236
You'd think the advanced space-future types would have figured out rifle / phaser ergonomics by now.
>>
>>14951262
>going to newgrounds
>ever
>>
>>14951266
It's not like it has any recoil, the ergonomics would be completely different.
>>
>>14951278
Just the awkwardness of holding it.
>>
>>14951262
Just what the fuck was Roddenberry thiking when he thought the Ferengi would be a credible threat? The new Klingons? Starfleet the post-economic society versus the ultimate capitalist society?
>>
File: ds9s05013.jpg (507KB, 1400x1072px) Image search: [Google]
ds9s05013.jpg
507KB, 1400x1072px
>>14951275
>Implying you didn't go there
>>
>>14951294
They were, occasionally, obscenely clever.

Plus it's kind of a bad guy you can't just blow up. They're not mustach-twirling, hand-wringingly evil, they just want to make a buck off you. When a Romulan is fucking with you, they're murder-happy. When a Ferengi is fucking with you... well, murder is an unintended consequence, but they're not actively seeking your death.
>>
>>14951294
S1 was a hard time. There were even bands of angry fans there was a new Trek crew at all, and a massive writer strike had been going on. Even the Borg concept went from being parasites to what S2 got us.
>>
>>14951300
>have hated newgrounds and YTMND since the beginning
>mfw they're no longer relevant
>>
File: tkvq3cjlcxwle7iarkeb.jpg (88KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
tkvq3cjlcxwle7iarkeb.jpg
88KB, 1024x765px
>>14951323
>He spent a lifetime being a contrarian reprobate
>>
File: 1389823613098.gif (3MB, 360x283px) Image search: [Google]
1389823613098.gif
3MB, 360x283px
>>14951346
>not liking low quality flash animations filled with unfunny jokes made by 12 year old autists makes you a contrarian reprobate
>>
File: 5659.png (193KB, 570x436px) Image search: [Google]
5659.png
193KB, 570x436px
>>14951369
>He was never 12
>>
>>14951319
I thought the writers' strike was S2.
>>
>>14951793

eh, either way TNG didn't turn not shit till well into the third or fourth seasons
>>
>>14951286
He's just holding it the same way that the Jem'Hadar hold their weapons. And they hold their weapons that way pretty much to demonstrate to the audience that they are aliens and do things differently.
>>
>>14952749
Kirk woulda hammer chopped that guy and told him that the only real way to hold a gun is the human way.
>>
>>14954137
Kirk may have written a whole section of the Federation CQC. Every crew uses the double-fisted slam
>>
Daily reminder that Picard stopped the Federation from siphoning life-saving fluids because indigenous people lived there.
>>
>>14954711

Looking back Picard was kind of a shit heel. I mean Sisko did some fucked up shit too but he had the decency to at least be honest about it. Picard set back medical technology centuries and let thousands upon thousands die because some 300 inbred hippies liked how pretty their lack was.
>>
>>14955035
Picard was probably the most autistic captain when it came to following the Prime Directive. But who was the most liberal with it? Janeway?
>>
>>14952310
I wish people wouldn't keep peddling this meme. Sure, the first two seasons were rough, but there were plenty of worthwhile episodes sprinkled throughout.
>>
>>14955496

The inclusion of a couple DECENT episodes doesn't mean the average wasn't awful. One A isn't going to get you on the dean's list.
>>
>>14954711
The line must be drawn HEEEUUHH
>>
>>14955496
I agree with you. The first two seasons have a vastly different tone from 3+, so I think that also turns people off.
>>
>>14955496
>I wish people wouldn't keep peddling this meme.

Not every thing's a meme your retarded piece of shit. Especially not decades old criticism.
>>
>>14955732
I'm sorry using the original dictionary definition of the word hurt your feelings.
>>
>>14955060
Janeway or Archer.
>>
>>14956001

Bullshit, you're tossing around buzz words because you can't actually defend the crappy first seasons.
>>
>>14955035
He's got nothing on Kirk.
>Kirk discovers a plant that heals all disease, all injury, and even restores lost body parts and organs, while soothing all psychological ailments and granting a state of complete and total bliss
>the mood-altering blissful effect and the plant's hold on the mind can be easily destroyed by calling the afflicted person a faggot harshly enough
>the afflicted then returns to their normal psychological state but retains all of the physical cures the plant granted
>Kirk orders it all destroyed and fucks off

or
>Kirk encounters an alien being of such supreme power it may as well be a God
>said being is lonely and wants companionship, is willing to keep people in perpetual health and youth and provide for their every need
>is so lonely it kidnaps the Enterprise crew
>instead of saying "let us leave and we'll find some people who will willingly stay with you, there's billions upon billions of us", Kirk kills the being
>doesn't even jack its fancy technology
This happens like 10 fucking times over the course of TOS
>>
>>14956020
There was no Prime Directive when Archer was around, and everyone gives him shit for trying to follow something like it that one time when it came to curing a planet of some crazy disease.
>>
>>14956667

Everyone gives him shit because he's a backwoods racists retard whose entire MO seems to be based around pissing T'pol off rather than making sound judgments.

>drrrrrr why are these aliums so mad I let my dog piss on their sacred trees, thats what dogs do
>>
>>14956694
>Kirk does this on a weekly basis
>everyone's still mad about that one time Archer failed to stop his dog from pissing on a tree
>>
when you let fag aliens play gods you get bajorans
that's why you kill alien gods
to prevent more bajorans
>>
>>14956766
Can you imagine Kirk on DS9
>>
>>14956771
"Men, it appears we've encountered yet another alien race that has taken me as their god. For posterity sake: let's go with it."
>>
>>14956771
>punches the Prophets on his first trip through the wormhole, seals it up forever so no Dominion War
>Bajor descends into a Holy War
>Kirk spends the rest of the series getting shitfaced at Quark's and winning Triple Dabo

It's just like Sisko only with exponentially more punching and fucking.
>>
>>14956694
To be fair if your father died before his dream was realized thanks to the patronizing limits placed on your species by a bunch of po-faced hobgoblin logic niggers who had somehow been completely infiltrated by Romulans despite the fact that they openly showed emotions in front of the Vulcan High Council of Elf Faggots, you'd want to see every last one of their soulless little mucus blooded children teleported into space too.
>>
>>14956804
Tell us how you really feel, Mr. Bakula.
>>
>>14955496
There's plenty of episodes with decent bits, but they're usually surrounded by crap. Of the first two seasons, I think the only episodes I'd actually call good are Measure of a Man and Q Who. Peak Performance is ok and Skin of Evil gets points for Troi actually being good at something. The rest usually have some interesting concept that's marred by poor execution or some other misstep, resulting in episodes best described as "watchable" if you cut them a lot of slack.
>>
>>14956794
To be fair, Sisko was a fair bit like Kirk.
>>
>>14957067

Kirk was Sisko's hero.
>>
>>14957169
>join starfleet
>dream of boning ayyyylmao chicks and punching gods
>find out your mom was an ayyyyylmao and you're half-god
;_;
>>
>>14957179
>be a self-hating masochist with an Oedipus complex
where can I sign up
>>
>>14956756

Because even Janeway left her stupid mutt back on earth where it belonged. Kirk stepped on his share of land mines too but none of it was because he was let his dog piss on aliens shit.
>>
File: garak.jpg (70KB, 705x386px) Image search: [Google]
garak.jpg
70KB, 705x386px
>>14956766
Yooo somebody say fag aliens?
>>
>McCoy flies around in a filing system he can't see using a simple off/on switch, orders a computer analysis of two records, and reads out complex medical test results by staring at rapidly blinking lights
What kind of wack-ass crystal Morse code is this?
>>
File: 1433853748069.webm (2MB, 1004x762px) Image search: [Google]
1433853748069.webm
2MB, 1004x762px
>>14957250
Hey, in his defense, he did bone Dukat's daughter.
>>
>>14957452
The same kind that let you lock onto a highly specific target and then run the insane amount of calculations it would require to transport it to a specific location. All with just the push of a button and occasionally the turn of a dial.
>>
>>14957480
Are we sure the computer isn't just reading (and writing to) the brain through finger contact and all the buttons are there for show?
>>
>>14957506

I think it's more just Gene Roddenbury doesn't really think his shit all the way through and just did whatever seemed most futuristic. Looking back he was kind of a chowderhead
>>
>>14957506
>>14957710
They had limited resources and limited time. It may be a nonsensical device, but it portrays the futuristic feel that the show needed. Especially in the time of analog computers. It's easy to just say, "they were dumb" but it's more accurate to take the historical context into account and look at things from their perspective.
>>
>>14956025
Lately I've been seeing more people who have barely watched TNG criticize the earlier seasons. Honestly, what would you call multiple people parroting the same half-formed opinions?

>>14956934
Fair enough. Personally I'd add The Big Goodbye, Datalore, The Battle, Where Silence Has Lease and A Matter of Honor to the list.

Maybe I'm more willing to cut those seasons slack since it was early on in the series, and I'm one of those guys who latches on to small character moments. I just don't see why people think they're so repulsive, even with all their faults. The only episodes I'd say were legitimately bad between the first two seasons were Hide and Q and The Outrageous Okona.
>>
File: the datas.jpg (915KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the datas.jpg
915KB, 1440x1080px
>>14956934
>>14957741
Here's the stuff I like from TNG s1:
Encounter at Farpoint
Where No One Has Gone Before
The Battle
Hide and Q
The Big Goodbye
Datalore
Too Short a Season
Home Soil
Heart of Glory
The Arsenal of Freedom
Symbiosis
Skin of Evil
We'll Always Have Paris
Conspiracy
The Neutral Zone

and s2:
Where Silence Has Lease
Elementary, Dear Data
The Outrageous Okona
Loud As A Whisper
The Schizoid Man
Unnatural Selection
A Matter Of Honor
The Measure Of A Man
Contagion
The Royale
Time Squared
The Icarus Factor
Q Who
Samaritan Snare
Up The Long Ladder
The Emissary
Peak Performance
Shades of Gray
>>
>>14957720
>It may be a nonsensical device, but it portrays the futuristic feel that the show needed

I didn't say it didn't. I just said it wasn't especially all that scientific
>>
>>14957771
You have to use a defter hand when trolling, like a safecracker or a pickpocket.

>>14957741
The episodes you mention are definitely high points (also I always forget The Battle is season 1, though it's got menacing Ferengi so it really should be obvious), but I think people give them shit because the rest of the series has a lot of those admittedly solid character moments or concepts without the gaping flaws. Take Datalore: really good acting by Spiner, neat concept for some betrayal and an alternate android perspective, but also Lore's reactivation is treated as a given, the one security concern is brought up in an indiscreet and unprofessional way, they meet a non-humanoid Galactus equivalent and it's basically shrugged off, and half the cast takes stupid pills in the back half so that Wesley can save the ship. None of those issues make the good parts worse (and a lot of them really are very good), but the episodes as a whole aren't strong.

>The only episodes I'd say were legitimately bad between the first two seasons were Hide and Q and The Outrageous Okona.
Not even Racism World or Much Less Obvious Racism World (with orgies and Wesley killing)?
>>
File: 1409071333946.gif (1MB, 356x321px) Image search: [Google]
1409071333946.gif
1MB, 356x321px
>>14958343
>you like stuff that I said is shit so you're trolling

Some of those episodes represent the very best of Trek and the worst on that list are just non-serious episodes that help endear the characters.
>>
>>14958343
>Not even Racism World or Much Less Obvious Racism World (with orgies and Wesley killing)?

Alright, I'm going to be honest with you. I may have skipped over those episodes during my recent run-through of TNG. I think I'll concede defeat in that instance.
>>
>>14960472
Planet of Killing Wesley And Fucking has two great thinks going for it.
>>
Who would win in a fist fight: Barclay or Rom?

Hard mode: no holodeck
>>
>>14960785

Barclay would win the fight but then Rom would be able to go home and get his ears rubbed by Leeta. Soooooooo Rom.
>>
>>14957720
I don't think it would stick out so much if not for how much work went into TNG and making sure that LCARS seemed like a plausible interface for such an advanced vessel.
>>
File: Sisko2375.jpg (150KB, 549x468px) Image search: [Google]
Sisko2375.jpg
150KB, 549x468px
>It's a "Somebody messed with the Sisko" episode
>>
>>14962076
How could anyone be mad in a uniform that comfy
>>
>>14955035
And don't forget about that time when he almost let an entire population die stating the Prime Directive, even though they were well within the Prime Directive.
>>
>>14962486

how about that time Archer DID let an entire planet die because of the prime directive. or whatever closest equivalent they had.
>>
>>14916513
>Captain Kirk is kind of an asshole
>William Shatner is kind of an asshole

apple...tree, funny how the former are found around the latter.
>>
>>14918345
>you wouldn't replicate a loli would you
>>
You know who I feel bad for is all those regular scientists who just joined the enterprise because they needed a mycology expert or a network admin for when the holodeck is down.

You're just minding your own business doing your job and next thing you know Picard bot a bee in his but about some alien robot cloud monster and your work station is blowing up left right and center

you're not even fucking paid for this shot.
>>
>>14936990
As it's a Communist future, I strongly disagree.
Roddenberry was a devout Maoist.

Most based race is probably the Cardies.
>>
>>14962764
To be fair, that kind of danger is a regular occurrence on any Federation ship. Or any ship in general. I'm sure Klingons have had their fair share of alien robot cloud monsters, they just shoot them down and keep going.

Point being, I'm sure there's a waver that's updated after every five year mission, that's signed without hesitation. Because honestly, what are the chances you run into giant snowflakes that absorb energy, or time-loop inducing wormholes multiple times in one quadrant?
>>
>>14937558
Starfleet officers on DS9 would have to have credits to use for the ton of other cultures there. Unless they get a Federation Platinum Express credit card upon graduation from Starfleet Academy and the Federation picks up your tab for Orion Slave Girls every month.
>>
>>14962764
Star Trek is perhaps the only series where I could entirely accept somebody shouting 'I didn't sign up for this shit', because there's a fair chance that they didn't.
>>
>>14963237

Nah, man. Being prepared for pirates or sudden enemy attack is one thing. Picard and Riker would suddenly decide they want a piece of the borg and next thing you know Barry the plumber is getting hauled away into some floating hunk of space geometry getting a coaxial cable shoved up his urethra

There's getting jumped by the unexpected and there's your acting officers suddenly deciding we're a war ship.
>>
>>14962804
>Maoist

Where in Roddenberry's work is there anything about a peasant based revolution leading the way to a communist society? Roddenberry is probably better described as a utopian socialist who smoked too much weed with college kids. There is clearly money and private property in the future as well as the federation owning a lot of military hardware.
>>
>>14937558
>Makes Starfleet officers gambling at Quark's a bit confusing, though.
Eh, it's a Bajoran station, not a Federation one, at the end of the day. There'd logically be a standard local currency, although all you see in Quarks is latinum. Maybe the Bajorans use that too?

You can be damn sure they're not gambling with worthless Federation credits. They probably need to get that exchanged for real money before they begin their gamling career.
>>
File: scrooge.jpg (37KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
scrooge.jpg
37KB, 400x300px
>>14948143
>>14963384

The Trek money situation has always given me a headache.

Like I get the idea. That people are working for the betterment of society first and foremost. But without some form of personal gain there's no real reason to do anything unless you're a higher ranked officer, manager or whatever.

There HAS to be working class schlubs. There can't not be. Shit wouldn't get made if there wasn't. And since not everyone is going to be able to own their own business a lot of people will have a boss of some kind. And if said boss is an tremendous asshole people aren't going to want to stick out shitty jobs if there's nothing to get out of it.

Even in star fleet I can't imagine why anyone for a minute puts up with any of the officers jackassery. Id be on the enterprise a day before Id tell Riker to fuck off.
>>
>>14945251
The horrible looking Borg is bad but the stupid one nacelle design pisses me off more.
>>
>>14963420
Might be a Brave New World type situation where even the menial labor derives some sort of genuine fulfillment from their work, only without the deliberate genetic tampering to leave them retarded.

What doesn't make any sense no matter how you look at it is Sisko's dad running a restaurant. Or future restaurants in general. I can buy people preferring the real thing to the replicator version, there's a value attached to doing things the old way with a personal touch. What doesn't add up is the person doing it for no other reason other than personal satisfaction. You know how satisfying it is to cook during lunch hour?

Cooking's one of the most stressful service jobs in the world, and even if you cook just for the joy of it, why run a restaurant? Without actual financial compensation why the fuck should you put up with some asshole telling you do the meal he wants the way HE wants? What if you want to do it your way? What, he's going to NOT pay you? Oh no. Anything but that.

Same thing with Picard's brother and his vineyard. Other than your own personal use what reason is there to use anything other than replicator or the magical alcohol that doesn't get you drunk?
>>
>>14965727

Then there's the entertainment and art industry

The love of creating things is an important factor to drive an artist but payment is more or less what keeps artists from slacking off and just not accomplishing shit. Even the Mona Lisa and Sistine Chapel where commission pieces. Da Vinici and Michelangelo weren't doing those pieces pro bono.
>>
>>14945251
is that an acog sight in the arm?
>>
>>14966653
You just had to point that out. I hate it even more, but now I can't stop staring at it. I can just imagine him raising it to his non-augmented eye before firing his gauntlet tilted at a 90-degree angle.

Holy fuck.
Thread posts: 267
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.