[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We're talked about favorite style of robots, warships and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 28

File: launching.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
launching.webm
2MB, 640x480px
We're talked about favorite style of robots, warships and launch shouts. But what is /m/'s favorite style of launching?

Linear catapults?

Stuffed in a cannon and shot at the enemy?

Just walking and jumping off the ship?

Running off the platform and doing a long jump?
>>
>>14857265
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZQ9vWgAYJo

Look at the way the CONSENT Mobile suits are launched, they do it UPSIDE DOWN :O
∀∀∀∀∀∀∀∀∀∀∀∀
>>
>>14857265
Linear catapult is great for space, but something has always been strangely satisfying about the tunnel launch from Eva. I think it's the effect of hitting the top
>>
File: Albion stop motion catapult.jpg (2MB, 3124x1089px) Image search: [Google]
Albion stop motion catapult.jpg
2MB, 3124x1089px
I love unnecessarily complex catapult mechanisms, like arms and tracks shifting into place
>>
>>14857280
I thought G-Savior was late-UC?

Why aren't they using panoramic cockpits?
>>
I like how VFs launch in space.

>Get them out via elevator and they do their control surfaces check
>They lift off the surface slightly with their own vernier thrusters, then throttle up and go
>>
>>14857265
Nothing beats an orbital drop
>>
I know it's hokey as shit, but I really like it when it's a bunch of mechs or vehicles launching in totally different ways from a variety of locations and platforms (for instance, one gets an orbital drop, one launches from a junkyard blasting scrap everywhere, one takes off like a fighter jet from a base, one deploys from the main tower of the flagship building of Robot Manufacturing Zaibatsu, one blasts out of a hidden ramp on a busy expressway, one emerges from a swamp or a mountain or somewhere in Nature) and they all swoosh dramatically toward wherever the fight is (don't think about the logistics) and then GATTAI SEQUENCE and I'm lying there spent and twitching before MegaMech even busts out the Laser Numchucks.
>>
Wooden barrels
>>
>>14857265

I'm partial to the ZAFT launch style in SEED of shooting MSes out of a tube lined with non-contact magnetic catapults. It just looks good as a launch method in zero-G.

Probably minus the forced detaching of the cable at the end, though, imagine the whiplash from that.
>>
>>14857307
Because I'm guessing the producers kind of glossed over the whole post-OYW series of events. OYW stuff is the most recognizable gundam stuff in general so that's probably all the people who made the movie were going off of.
That's why Side 8 are using RGM Freedoms instead of Jegans or Jamesguns, and why the 360 cockpits aren't a thing.

If you wanted to try and solidify G-Saviour's place in the canon you could argue that the downfall of the EF and the current anemic situation of the CONSENT economy is responsible for the regression in technology.
All in all, G-Saviour has the beginnings of a really good late UC story going for it, but it's just totally messed up by it being a half assed made for TV flick. The premise when judged by itself is actually pretty unique by gundam standards.

>Instead of a spacenoid-earthnoid conflict, this is a conflict between spacenoids alone
>The conflict is over food production and how CONSENT can maintain tight authority through it
>The protaganist is more or less older than your average edgy teenage bishonen mech pilot, and even has an established girlfriend, no, a fiancee

I'm secretly hoping that someone decides to reboot G-Saviour and do it right
>>
I love me some catapult launching. There' something awesome when a launcher folds out of a ship and then fires the mecha like a rail gun while the dude suffers from extreme g's.
>>
I liked watching Diamond force launch in 7. It was the same footage every single episode but it was still fun.
>>
>>14857265
Just detach and burn. Catapults are stupid. Artificial gravity isn`t a thing we will develop soon enough, so "walring and jumping" won`t do too. Storing mech or other ship in a pressurised internal volume is also an utmost stupidity.
>>
They need to make a Macross VR Flight sim game. Just wanted to say that.
>>
>>14857307
Budget.
>>
>>14858311
- Macross VR game.
- Ace Combat VR game.
- Mechwarrior VR game.
- Freespace/X-Wing/other space simulator VR game.
The industry needs to do many things.
>>
File: immersion.webm (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
immersion.webm
1MB, 640x480px
>>14858324
I just want a Macross X Ace Combat game. Doesn't need to be VR.
>>
File: 1436618644321.jpg (927KB, 3297x3602px) Image search: [Google]
1436618644321.jpg
927KB, 3297x3602px
>>14857265

VTOL, mostly because of Star Wars.
>>
>>14857265
Catapaulting all the seperate bits so they can gattai.
>>
>>14860620
This. Especially if they're launched from a large vehicle, like the Daikyu-Maryu or Big Shooter.
>>
>>14857265
Why is the aspect ratio all fucked up?
>>
Having a mechanism that locks onto the mecha and slides it across a rail system on the underside of the ship,and then detaches. There are multiple of these,so you`re not limited to one mecha launch at a time.
>>
Linear catapult.
>>
I do like how in Star Wars the way TIE fighters launch is that they're held in racks with a magnetic thing, and they're just let go and dropped out of the ship.

Granted that doesn't make sense in zero G but it's still cool
>>
>>14857312
Orbital drop followed by midair docking sequence (Mazinkaiser movie) or weaponized using the mecha's transformed state (GUN X SWORD)
>>
Breaking trough a barricaded/broken launch gate
>>
File: rocket flanker.gif (92KB, 960x378px) Image search: [Google]
rocket flanker.gif
92KB, 960x378px
Just stick the mecha into a ballistic missile
>>
>>14860993
I suppose that could be explained away as sticking the scifi electromagnet in reverse to repulse them a bit.
>>
File: 1322382869539.png (253KB, 817x467px) Image search: [Google]
1322382869539.png
253KB, 817x467px
> favorite style of launching?

My favorite style is when the pilot go EVA outside the spaceship and get into the Mobile Suit that had been strapped on the outside of the ship.

Any other way is a stupid waste of space, metal and time.
The only thing you would need any hangar for is for maintenance and do we keep battle tank or even planes in hangar ? We don't.
We barely deign putting some planes under bunker in the off-chance we can't launch them fast enough.

Catapult don't even give any gain of speed.
But I would still like them if we didn't abuse it over and over again
>>
File: pacific-rim-81.jpg (475KB, 2133x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pacific-rim-81.jpg
475KB, 2133x1200px
Of course if your mecha is so big it count as a weapon of mass destruction you ought to move it properly so you don't have to rebuild its silo every launch
>>
>>14857854
>I'm secretly hoping that someone decides to reboot G-Saviour and do it right
Yes please!
>>
>>14861615
Don't they do that in Full Metal Panic?
>>
File: I GOT A BURNIN' HEART.gif (4MB, 230x173px) Image search: [Google]
I GOT A BURNIN' HEART.gif
4MB, 230x173px
>>14857265
Catapult is the best answer. Runways are also cool for stuff like jet planes like in Yukikaze and Macross.

Orbital drops are the coolest, though.
>>
>>14866624
I GOT A BURRRRNING LOOOOOOOOOVE~~~~~
>>
>>14858324
An Ace Combat VR arcade game actually exists. It's Pseudo-VR though; you sit in a panoramic cockpit sort of deal with a hotas setup.

It's not great, really loud, and blasts wind at your face. Not worth the $2 to play.
>>
>>14857265
>mecha/vehicle launches on the catapult
>immediately does a U-turn and flies away

This triggers me and every space show does it all the time. There's no point in launching from the catapult if you're going to immediately waste fuel braking to a halt so you can fly the other way. Turn the ship around, or launch without the catapult.
>>
File: M9E_-_Flightpack.jpg (94KB, 578x420px) Image search: [Google]
M9E_-_Flightpack.jpg
94KB, 578x420px
>>14866614
They can put a rocket pack with wings on the back of the Arm Slave.
>>
>>14866847
No I'm fairly certain the protagonist's Lambda suit or whatever the hell that thing is called can be deployed via cruise missile, they did it in one of the early episodes
>>
>>14866854
They launched it via cruise missile in the Arbalest's debut, yes. They mostly use the rocket pack later on, though, especially with the Laevatein.
>>
File: 3lrSPiu[1].jpg (387KB, 1047x1279px) Image search: [Google]
3lrSPiu[1].jpg
387KB, 1047x1279px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa6_orLspHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7g9vuIocM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_OqsCa0iNw
>>
>>14857265
Linear Catapult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr0g-ookB9c
>>
File: 1337104519448.jpg (154KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1337104519448.jpg
154KB, 960x720px
>>14867284
> Captain Earth
I hardly see how you could make a more ridiculously complicated and over the top much fusion.
Catapulting each space station ? Have the space station gattai into one linear catapult ?

When will we ever have a Gattai sequences where all different part just meet at 0 speed in a shipyard and dock together awkwardly using robotic arms to grab and put themselves into position.

Really badass mecha don't get catapulted, it's their hangar that move away from them
>>
Strap a bunch of rocket boosters to your mech and make it go fast
>>
>>14857478
>Probably minus the forced detaching of the cable at the end, though, imagine the whiplash from that.

Every time I see that in any series I think, isn't that putting a whole lot of unnecessary stress on the units frame and rising damage?
>>
Can't really decide between launching them off a linear catapult or how the Starfuries were supposed to be deployed as described by technical books...by using a rotating section and in a sense drop them out of the ship using the centrifugal force to throw them clear of Omegas.
>>
https://youtu.be/9XcBsmVgC3s

Thrust positive.

Good luck.
>>
So far, Macross has three different launching type. There's the normal launch from a space carrier's surface, the crane arm from DYRL/VFX2 (ARMD class and gunships), and the torpedo launch on the submarine from Zero
>>
>>14871093
There's also the railgun launch from 7.
>>
>>14869854
It wouldn't be hard to have a easy release mechanism. Like magsafe, but for mobile suits.
>>
>>14866614
Don't the Anti-UN forces do it in Macross Zero?
>>
>>14864596
>We barely deign putting some planes under bunker in the off-chance we can't launch them fast enough.

No. The reason they don't put planes in bunkers anymore is because bunker busters were developed. Your comparison makes no sense to begin with though because you are comparing them to land based aircraft instead of aircraft on an aircraft carrier. Last time I checked those carriers have a hangar below deck where they do all the maintenance.
>>
>>14864596
>The only thing you would need any hangar for is for maintenance and do we keep battle tank or even planes in hangar ? We don't.
But we do keep planes in a hangar you fucking retard.
>>
>>14864596
>do we keep battle tank or even planes in hangar?

Even MBTs are supposed to get basic shade amenities, if not an actual storage hangar. This goes double for SPGs and other specialized vehicles.

Hangars can also be where maintenance crew make their workplace in. Most armored vehicles already go through strenuous maneuvers and require regular servicing and part replacement for; why willingly expose them to the elements and up their maintenance cost for no reason? Any structure built to shelter them by the dozens is far cheaper than the costs of replacing weathered parts of entire divisions of vehicles on a regular basis. This goes double for aircraft where any airframe damage will negatively impact its direct performance.

Open-park vehicles are mostly logistic-side vehicles who see use almost daily, are essentially huge trucks, and there are way too many to build a facility to hold them all, if they're under daily use for training, or if you are on a field exercise.

Space is a different story, of course, since there's no rain in space showering your shit and everything with mud, leaves, and branches. But you're still going to need internal storage to protect the whole setup. Damages to the hull will limit the areas you can strap returning craft to, whereas internal storage protects those facilities and allow crew to run resupply/repairs/pilot swaps for returning craft without having to worry about stray objects(eg. one of your own battle-damaged craft that gave out to damage stress and lost thruster control on return approach) careening into the hull and killing an entire technician company in one go and knocking a whole conga line of your other externally-strapped craft out into space.

I don't mind pilots getting into their units and then maneuvering outside on their units' own power, but if it's outside storage to begin with it better have a good reason.
>>
>>14857265
I always like it when the mech is in a some kind of pod, that's either flying on its own or shot from a cannon, then said pod breaks apart, whether it's from enemy fire or on its own, revealing the mech.

The example that immediately came to my mind was Wing Zero from Endless Waltz and its Gundam Evolve episode
>>
>>14871325 >>14871338
Our aircraft-carrier aren't hulk in 0G who can launch anything by detaching it from the hull. The catapult only purpose was to achieve aerodynamic lift, no such things needed in space.

> Last time I checked those carriers have a hangar below deck where they do all the maintenance
Nice thing I mentioned maintenance, guess where they store what isn't in maintenance ? Outside. In space you don't even have weather to damage your vehicle

> But we do keep planes in a hangar you fucking retard.
Only for maintenance. Look at any airbase, it's almost as if airplane were meant to be ready to take-off at any time.

Now learn humility before someone disprove space-fighter.
>>
>>14871436
Sorry, I didn't reload the page for a while and didn't see you posting

Tank are stored in hangar when you have the luxury of peacetime and because deploying them anywhere is an huge commitment, field maintenance would only protect it from weather if it help the maintenance.
Airplane are used much more frequently and stored outside most of the time despite being more sophisticated because they have to be launched at moment notice. It's even a problem when a plane stealth paint is too fragile to be outside, or even when normal paint corrode fast at sea.

The only environmental hazard a fictional-mecha face would depend of whether or not it survive longer if stored in the void of space (big temperature difference if left in direct sunlight) or within a pressurized hangar (with air that oxide stuff).
That could be used to justify internal hangar. I'm also assuming that maintenance/rebuilding equipment have been made for use within Earth-like atmosphere. Because if you must do the maintenance outside you are basically only protecting the mech from sunlight.
>>
>>14860526
why is the first order even using Tie fighters, there design is way to outdated, at least the new xwings look different.
>>
I prefer the calling summon, land on ship/roof/wherever, then the jump off, and frying into the sky method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBeiN2_ERYY
>>
File: 1450730066162.jpg (1MB, 2560x1691px) Image search: [Google]
1450730066162.jpg
1MB, 2560x1691px
>>14871505
It's cheap, do you think the Empire is made of money or something ?
Those death star won't build themselves
>>
>>14871469
>The catapult only purpose was to achieve aerodynamic lift,

Lift is more a consequence of the actual purpose: to accelerate a mass to a sufficiently high speed, typically within a short distance, so that the mass doesn't have to do that all entirely under its own power or at the great expense of its fuel stores.
>>
>>14858326
>HUD not cockpit
Into the trash

Why aren't internal launch decks a more common thing?
>>
File: 1453507531101.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1453507531101.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>14872078
> internal launch decks
Somehow I've got an hard time picturing what you mean. Do you mean the ship is already "launched" yet still navigating with at least 4 wall surrounding it ?
>>
>>14872556
>using an ipad to pilot a space ship
>>
>>14857365
This is objectively correct.
>>
>>14872868
Aren't they already replacing digital displays with touchscreens in new fighters?
>>
>>14873708
What kind of skullfuck would sign off on that. Have you tried using touchscreen interfaces with gloved hands? Even with capacitive fabric precision goes down the shitter with gloves.

Stick with MFDs with buttons bordering the screen.
>>
>>14873715
I've heard of >>14873708 too, have a friend whose dad worked in the industry. But I thought it was less for brand-new fighters, and more for foreign countries who we share/sell fighters with. But my memory of this conversation is vague.
>>
>>14873715
I have and its a horrible mess unless the button is huge which I have also used with a thicker glove and the huge button worked just fine. As long as it didn't have any other buttons near it so they don't get pressed by mistake.
>>
File: 1245535435237.jpg (113KB, 1000x620px) Image search: [Google]
1245535435237.jpg
113KB, 1000x620px
I've always been a sucker for a good old fashioned carrier catapult launch. Nothing as exhilarating as blasting your burners and then just being flung into the stratosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIk7CnjRko8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyVwXc5KTKo
>>
>>14866614
They did in a few episodes. When Sousuke was out in the field and requested the ARX-7, they sent it to him by transporting it in a ballistic missile.
>>
File: f-35 cockpit 2.jpg (272KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
f-35 cockpit 2.jpg
272KB, 1200x801px
>>14873708
Yes
>>
File: Sv.51.jpg (252KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
Sv.51.jpg
252KB, 850x478px
>>14874289
We're getting more and more scifi every year.
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-to-test-in-flight-folding-spanwise-adaptive-wing-to-enhance-aircraft-efficiency
>>
File: Ghost_Fighter.jpg (253KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_Fighter.jpg
253KB, 800x600px
>>14874294
http://magazine.uc.edu/editors_picks/recent_features/alpha.html

http://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/genetic-fuzzy-based-artificial-intelligence-for-unmanned-combat-aerialvehicle-control-in-simulated-air-combat-missions-2167-0374-1000144.pdf
>>
File: yf-21-fighter-highspeed.gif (117KB, 1150x700px) Image search: [Google]
yf-21-fighter-highspeed.gif
117KB, 1150x700px
>>14874312
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoi78x4HP_M
>>
File: i have control.jpg (24KB, 704x528px) Image search: [Google]
i have control.jpg
24KB, 704x528px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSzXqlnT7nQ

>This video, recently declassified, shows the heads-up-display, or HUD, of an F-16, in which the student pilot experienced a g-induced loss of consciousness. The pilot credits the Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System, developed in-part by NASA, with saving both the aircraft and his life.
>>
File: X-53_AAW_flexywings.jpg (127KB, 1041x781px) Image search: [Google]
X-53_AAW_flexywings.jpg
127KB, 1041x781px
>>14874336
>>
File: DYRL.jpg (65KB, 672x432px) Image search: [Google]
DYRL.jpg
65KB, 672x432px
>>14857265
The thingamutwigs clamps in Macross DYRL
>>
Nothing beats Active Raid's launching via a ski ramp/a rollercoaster.
>>
File: cablerelease.jpg (54KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
cablerelease.jpg
54KB, 960x540px
>>
File: 1261038102243.jpg (118KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1261038102243.jpg
118KB, 1280x1024px
How about plane that are launched from another plane that where built in space and never ever land ?
>>
File: Wiki-background.jpg (297KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Wiki-background.jpg
297KB, 2560x1600px
copter

always comes with broest operators
>>
>>14878890
So, real talk for a sec: Banshee makes sense only because it solves a peculiar problem regarding the Faerie occupation: there is no ocean to establish conventional naval force projection over there (plus even if there were there's no knowing how the JAM would adapt to naval forces when the conflict has been purely centered around air combat), there is no way to conceivably push a boat through the Passageway to begin with over here on the Earth side (it's positioned over the Ross Ice Shelf), and the FAF needs a means of projecting force in a fashion that's more mobile than the fixed air base perimeter around the Faerie-side of the Passageway.

And so here we are, with one of the more insane and obviously sci-fi elements of the setting... and it actually makes sense in context.

Shame the two of them get blown up over the course of SYY and GLY. Plus they never did explain why those two were Banshees 3 and 4, what ever happened to the first two?
>>
File: 1407103544065.webm (3MB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
1407103544065.webm
3MB, 350x263px
>>14878935
This is a plane-fu story, the plane make as much sense as mech in most story. (and I say that as someone who believe in real military mech potential)

As for the other two, I only watched the animated stuff, never read the book. But speculating they were destroyed just fit. We are used to cool-hero-supership never getting destroyed but what if the White Base had been the third iteration ?

Speaking of fouls launch method...
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.