/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4b -haPATmI Why do realism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 27

File: Tank vs mech.gif (990KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Tank vs mech.gif
990KB, 500x375px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4b-haPATmI

Why do realismfag get triggered by this?
Moreover, why do people can suspend their disbelief when it comes to shounen and super heroes genre but not with mecha anime?
>>
>>14855917
Why do you get triggered by realism fags being triggered by that?
>>
>>14855917
Because people in the West have no taste for robots besides strict association with particular franchises. Anything outside of those strict bounds is as good as lost on them.

Honestly, though, I don't get it either.

>>14855930
How does he seem triggered?
He asked a question. He is not disparaging anyone in doing so.
>>
>>14855930
I don't. Just curious.
Like when I told one of my weeb friends about an anime but if he saw mechs in it, he would refuse to watch it because it's unrealistic, despite the fact that he likes watching seasonal harem anime and shounen.

I'm more or less giving up on try to convince them otherwise.
>>
>>14855943
Have you ever asked them why they could accept super heroes and shonen but not robots, specifically?
>>
>>14855917
It is like " meet me in real life, I will fuck you up for good you nerd hiding behind keyboard" kind of deal. By stating the obviously obvious things like pointing out how this thing is not like real, they convince their ego that they are not an anime geek fapping to this because they have a live and and give the pretense to have experience real shit to know how it goes down.
In short, they derive some sort of relish in order to give a vibe of being of superior intellect and experience.
And this results time wasted on making very idiotic comments on a random clip of a tv show you might haven't even seen for a ephymeral sense of being feeling Superior.
>>
>>14855947
Once or twice, they just said that it was different and shifted the topic.
Asking any further and I got the "lol nobody cares, anon XD" response.
>>
>>14855943
Reminded me an encounter I had with a guy from my college years ago. We were having some casual conversation about Tv shows and movies at the place where I was hanging around with bunch of my classmates. Usually things went like this-
>lol anon why watch this show or movie for it's social and historical context when you can just watch a documentry?
>I watch superhero movies because they deal with science

Even to this day I regret for not calling him out on this. I get easily overwhelmed in social meets.
>>
>>14855960
I suppose that in keeping with normie tradiiton it'd be best not to push the question.

But yeah, at a glance it sounds like they're discriminating for very little reason. Sometimes I've asked /co/ these sorts of questions myself. I've gotten some pretty solid answers e.g.
>the West doesn't have the cultivated appetite for it
>it's always perceived as kid's stuff
And some real bullshit answers
>magic and powers are okay because you use them directly
>robots always job in capes so I have no reason top see them as cool
>>
>>14855960
I think mecha just dosen't appeals your friend and pulled the "not realistic" card just to avoid the topic by calling it "childish" i.e. "huh I am a grown man despite engaging in flagrant hypocrisy".
>>
>>14855980
>engaging in flagrant hypocrisy
But anon, that's what adult do!
>>
>>14855917
Most people can handwave that shit, it's not too difficult when writing a plot, they create an instance that seems unbelievable at first but then explains why later how it was possible via technology or some other plot device. In fiction, impossible just is implausible.
>>
>>14855917
it's annoying because by having mechs shit over everything else you lose the possibility of having cool asymmetrical fight scenes
>>
>>14855917
From what I've heard, it's because it doesn't show the mechs as superior but instead the tanks as inferior. That is to say, the tanks should be a lot more maneuverable than that, in reality. So the robots aren't winning because they're so much better than conventional military hardware, they're winning because the tanks they're fighting are so much worse than conventional military hardware.
>>
>>14855917
>>14855917
I think the answer would be demographics.

See, try to think of the various groups that form both the reader/spectators/fans of shounen manga and mecha series. In the shounen manga area we generally have younger lads, kids or teens, that still have little to no barriers with simple, fantastic or idiotic plots (I really wanted to find other way to describe a shounen manga plot, but nothing comes to my mind right now, sorry). Or we also have older people that still like to read said mangas, are already acostumed with it, and so, have little problems suspending their disbeliefs.

Now, inside of the mecha fan base, and even among many of the people that did mecha anime back in the 80's and 90's, there is a fucking ton of military otakus. I'm both a mecha anime fan and /k/ browser, for example. Because I know and I like things like tanks and military strategy, it pains in my ass to see a group of some few mechas wrecking easily entire platoons of tanks, even I knowing fully well that tanks in mecha shows are simply cannon fodders to show how said mechas are powerfull, and that I should not expect much more from them, anyway.

It also doesn't help that many old mecha animes that mix military thematics seems to try present themselves as more serious or realistic, and even when it is not the case, they give the impression of it.

Thats my opinion.
>>
>>14856215
The mechs in that scene got the armor column with its pants down.

It was pretty much the perfect ambush.

The show's argument for where the mechs are objectively advantaged comes from urban deployment where the fusion of humanoid mobility in a concrete jungle with the heavier firepower of a combat vehicle creates a weapon that makes you wish you were merely dealing with sandniggers wielding RPGs. In the open desert that was just a perfect blindside, but one not expected to last once the existence of tactical armors becomes common knowledge.
>>
>>14855917
when mecha tries to be realistic it can be triggering for some realistfags
>>
>>14855943
People are hypocrites and retards.

I know some Battletechfags. Despite loving a board game, books and video games based around giant robots, they break out into convulsions and froth at the mouth at the mention of anime for even stupider reasons like robots holding guns instead of having them mounted to hardpoints.
>>
>>14855952
hence forth it's called shitposting
>>
>>14855999
adults are EVIL. they must be PURGE.
>>
mech vs tank scenes would be way more interesting if they both had a good shot at destroying each other
>>
File: 1337296973014.jpg (90KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1337296973014.jpg
90KB, 400x400px
>>14856351
Teenagers are even more Hypocritical therefore they must be purged too Kamille.
>>
>>14855952
But this double standard on suspension on belief is about normies, and less about other nerds, going by OP's ranting.

Yeah, normies can accept the superhero idea, but not giant fighting robots? Why, and how did it come to this?
>>
>>14856254
>a fucking ton of military otakus

Anno and Miyazaki in general.

Nagano himself is a nerd for tanks.
>>
>>14855917
>Why do realismfag get triggered by this?
The problem isn't that the robots are too fast. It's that the tanks and IFVs were slower than they are in real life.

There's also the problem that they never make some kind of futuristic sanic tank that works against (or with) mecha.
>>
People don't get to choose what appeals to them and what bothers them. Think about it, if you could just decide "I don't want _____ to bother me" then everyone would choose to be happy with being broke and working shit job. It's our inability to make this choice that drives people to seek better circumstances.

For me personally, I have no trouble suspending disbelief for lots of things but sometimes something just bugs me even though less realistic things make it past the filter. I'm okay with 18m robots dominating warfare. I don't care how an MS pilot makes those complex movements with just two joysticks and two pedals. I don't care how the computer in GBF determines whether your gunpla has EXAM or Trans-Am. But for reasons I can't explain, the idea of a church revolving around an elevator bothers me. Domon catching every bullet fired at him by several machineguns with his bare hands doesn't bother me, and I realize that many other things that are far less ridiculous don't bother me, but that doesn't change my reaction to those things. For reasons I cannot comprehend, I'm more willing to accept a 40-something man destroying mobile suits with a scarf than I am someone controlling a Valkyrie with a guitar. If I could *choose* to like it, I'd have enjoyed Macross 7 a whole lot more, but that isn't how the human mind works.
>>
>>14855930

why do you get triggered by him getting triggered that realism fags get triggered by that
>>
File: treaded quadcopter.jpg (89KB, 634x357px) Image search: [Google]
treaded quadcopter.jpg
89KB, 634x357px
>>14856620
>There's also the problem that they never make some kind of futuristic sanic tank that works against (or with) mecha.

This always disappoints me. like the closest we ever got to this kind of thing was MGS3's Shagohad.

Push the concept, niggas.
>>
>>14856620
No show has really done proper warfare with multiple types of vehicles since 0079 or Dougram, and it's a huge shame. They always push the robots to fulfill the same role as planes, tanks and infantry and it's never as interesting as using all four together.
>>
>>14856794
Magela 2.0
>>
>>14856620
>sanic tank
Would be cool if it'll not flipping itself. Hell, Shagohod even need limbs to stabilize herself, and she need to take a long clear runway for her max speed or it'll be flatten hard.

Maybe there will be one if spherical wheel ever exist. Or just go full spider tank and stick some turbos on it.
>>
File: because it looks cool.jpg (43KB, 640x1442px) Image search: [Google]
because it looks cool.jpg
43KB, 640x1442px
>>14857069
Realistic military engagements is hard to portray right and often boring for long parts of it and the general public would find it hard to understand why they use the tactics they do.

On the other hand a giant robot punching the other giant robot's face in simple to comprehend.

It's why practically all medieval movies have two armies just charging at each other screaming instead of holding formation and moving as units using actual medieval tactics
>>
>>14857506
>Or just go full spider tank
Not fast.
>>
>>14855979
That's a pretty good response.

I have the opposite problem, my italian friend has very fond opinions of 70s franchises, but more or less ignores mecha outside of Grendizer/UFO Robo type shows.

I know another guy who loves gundam and knows it pretty well. He is aware of some other tomino productions. Once you get into Votoms, outside the realm of Tomino and Gundam, he completely loses interest.

I feel like I'm the only balanced mecha fan I know.
>>
that scene somewhat annoys me as a fan of the show

that entire encounter went against the entire combat purpose the TAs/MFs were created to fulfill (unparalleled mobility in urban settings) and they're completely outside of their niche their. They should have gotten blown the fuck out by any Tanks in an open field, because that's not what they were created for, nor their strong suit, and should have been outclassed.

You can make the argument that they blindsided the battalion by blitzing them with a surprise attack using unprecedented tactics and new weapons but that can only go so far.
>>
File: led8.jpg (175KB, 1737x808px) Image search: [Google]
led8.jpg
175KB, 1737x808px
>>14856552
>Nagano himself is a nerd for tanks.

Are you sure? Mamoru "high heels on a skeleton knight" Nagano is a /k/fag? Maybe he just likes the big guns.
>>
>>14857069
>No show has really done proper warfare with multiple types of vehicles since 0079 or Dougram
SEED actually handled this pretty well despite it's story related problems, a lot of the grunt MS were hybrids that were basically tanks, and normal tanks and aircraft played a bigger role on land.
It also did really well with involving the main ships in the battles
>>
>>14857603
You also forget the fact that they're powered by Japanese alien war demons and cocaine IVs. Everybody forgets that they're powered by Japanese war alien demons and cocaine IVs.
>>
>>14857603
It's the only time they ever do a blindside of that caliber, and this is before any public announcement of TA technology existing has been made.

It's part of Gowa Industry's argument that the NATO coalition should have the JSDF bring their Type 17 Raidens to Begilstan: the enemy has tactical armors, and while you might blown them out of the sand the next time you're out there in wide open spaces don't expect it to go well in the city; they're already surprisingly agile on open terrain and it just gets worse when you give them the advantage of verticality.

That the sandpeople can't muster an effective enough anti armor presence gives the Raidens the additional opportunity to show off in open combat, but the Ishtars pegging that armor convoy was ostensibly a product of excellent timing against an unprepared and uninformed force by a small team armed disproportionately relative to their size and mobility. The perfect ambush, really.
>>
File: co_28.jpg (371KB, 1229x1600px) Image search: [Google]
co_28.jpg
371KB, 1229x1600px
>>14857751
>Mamoru "high heels on a skeleton knight" Nagano is a /k/fag?

Yep, he is, especially with WWII stuff and alike.
>>
What I don't understand about the western market is they suspend their disbelief when the giant robots are sentient beings from another planet with a vehicle mode... and they're put off by giant robots being piloted by humans.

Nevermind the superhero stuff, THIS is what really puzzles me. No one freaked out when Blackout singlehandedly took out an entire military base. lol
>>
>>14855917
>tr*ggered

FUCK OFF!
>>
>>14860099
man movie 1 was decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Q56BUgUPo
>>
>>14856525
Teenagers are proto-adults anyway.
>>
File: empress1.jpg (87KB, 368x909px) Image search: [Google]
empress1.jpg
87KB, 368x909px
>>14859961
Interesting. I assumed all his interests were in costumes since he was a fashion designer, so he made all his mecha based off of knight armor and various other baroque costumes. Course I haven't read FSS so maybe there is a side to out Sailor Venus cosplay man that I have yet to see.

If he really is a /k/fag though how can he stand giving his robots such goofy proportions and heels?
>>
>>14860099
Banking on nostalgia + super srs plot + extra heavy greebling
>>
File: 2b59c3495f9099ae37525220740c768b.jpg (138KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
2b59c3495f9099ae37525220740c768b.jpg
138KB, 1000x750px
>>14860099
We just need a Hollywood studio and a competent director to take risks and get one made. I think a movie with a setting sort of like Gungriffon's could do very well in the US market.
Though right now the trend seems to be stuck in Superhero mode, but I don't think it's going to last for more than a few more years before people stop buying tickets.
>>
File: barbatos-sixth.jpg (42KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
barbatos-sixth.jpg
42KB, 768x960px
>>14860919
>If he really is a /k/fag though how can he stand giving his robots such goofy proportions and heels?

Ask Bandai.
>>
>>14860919
Have you seen his tanks and infantry armor in FSS?
>>
>>14856343
Mounting weapons on hard points is dumb. The reason why it's done now is because it's more stable but if you're a universe where a giant robo hand is every bit as stable then there's no point. Fixed armaments is not the ideal, modular is always preferred but much harder to implement and more prone to mechanical problems. But in universes like Gundams' timelines it's a non-problem.
>>
>>14860947
Pacific Rim
>>
>>14861823
So it bombed domestically and in Japan, and sold well in China, Russia, and South Korea? Sounds about right.
>>
File: 1476990129209.gif (3MB, 252x195px) Image search: [Google]
1476990129209.gif
3MB, 252x195px
>>14855917
do you get trigger by this?

Same answer.
>>
>>14860453
>>>tumblr
>>
>>14861823
An uninspired pastiche that could only ever draw in fanboys.
>>
>>14860919
>If he really is a /k/fag though how can he stand giving his robots such goofy proportions and heels?

Because unlike you he doesn't have his head stuck in his ass about what MUH REALISM is. Fuck off back to Battletech.
>>
>>14862438
Anon, why're you so unhappy? He only asked a question.
>>
>>14861806
It's pretty goddamn hilarious that his heavy powered infantry armour's actually somewhat realistic, what with it being 90% ballistic fiber with some plates and most of the shape being made up of huge huge air cushions meant to shield the infantryman from concussions.
>>
>>14862443
Anyone who asks for realism in 15m+ robots is a fucking moron and should be called out on it. No exceptions.
>>
>>14862513
Well anon, I feel much the same, but at the same time other anon wasn't talking about or asking about that exact topic at all.

He said something to the lines of "if Nagano's a /k/fag, why don't his mecha seem to reflect this?" It's a rather legitimate question considering how Heavy Metals, Mortar Headds, etc. are aesthetically.
>>
>>14862513
Anyone who gets this assravaged at the mere thought of verisimilitude in science fiction has assburgers and should be called out on it. No exceptions.
>>
>>14862521
If Nagano was a /k/fag he never would have had a career designing giant robots. Same goes with every mecha designer. It's a dumb question regardless of the context.
>>
>>14862535
I still think it's a little harsh and unnecessary to disparage curiosity so hard. People like what they like.

>>14862530
I disagree with this. People have a right to their opinions.
I do think it's fair to say that being mad deserves a callout sometimes.
>>
File: realistic.jpg (346KB, 670x1075px) Image search: [Google]
realistic.jpg
346KB, 670x1075px
>>14862530
>muh giant giant robots cosplaying SWAT or Nazi clothing is more realistic than giant robots with high heels

Yeah, fuck off.
>>
>>14862540
>I still think it's a little harsh and unnecessary to disparage curiosity so hard. People like what they like.

If people got the message they would stop making or replying to these retarded "what is realistic mecha" threads.
>>
File: 1366942990765.gif (537KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1366942990765.gif
537KB, 480x270px
>>14862535
>If Nagano was a /k/fag he never would have had a career designing giant robots
>Same goes with every mecha designer
What has to happen to someone make them actually believe that an artist who designs machines for shows about military conflict would never do so if they have any inkling as to how machines used in military conflict actually function.

>>14862542
>15 meter tall robot armed with machine guns and used in a war against similar robots are exactly the same as hundred meter robots with giant drills and hyper mega soul spirit cannons that fights elder demon kaiju gods
>>
>>14862551
True that.

>>14862563
Well, neither's really more "plausible" than the other if you think about it. There's no reason to think about it that much.
>>
>>14862567
>Well, neither's really more "plausible" than the other if you think about it.
Bullshit.
>>
>>14862570
Well, I wouldn't want to debate it, but for me, the way a robot is isn't important. We already know that none of these things will ever exist, so there's no reason to think about it at all.

Just enjoy things you enjoy. It's fiction! And that's what makes it really great- you can do whatever you want and it'll always work out if you want it to.
>>
>>14862573
>Just enjoy things you enjoy
Why are you telling me and not the sperg who's flipping his shit at the thought of people enjoying things that aim for realism?
>>
>>14862563
>What has to happen to someone make them actually believe that an artist who designs machines for shows about military conflict would never do so if they have any inkling as to how machines used in military conflict actually function.

There's a difference between knowing how military vehicle and weaponry works and frothing at the mouth whenever a giant robot appears and beats up some tanks because it's "unrealistic". /k/fags are the latter, and no mecha designer is that stupid.

>One type of 15 m robot is more realistic than the other just because it's from a different setting

Sure thing buddy.
>>
>>14862576
Because your double standards are retarded and you should be ashamed of yourself, or better yet, fuck off back to your /k/ind and never come back here.
>>
>>14862576
I did, actually. I said to him, roughly, "well you can't disparage people for enjoying things", but here we are now. Oh well.
>>
>>14862582
Make me.
>>
>>14862594
It's okay, you can keep making as many of these "mecha realism" threads as you want and have 50 other people like me call you retard every time as many times as you want.
>>
>>14862596
This thread was made by your kind.
>>
>>14855917
>This video contains content from Starz Media LLC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
>>
>>14862598
In response to your kind, who make these threads at least once a week.
>>
>>14862605
>In response to your kind
Another lie. This all started when dumb teenage nerds would go around posting things like OP's and asking why we don't use mecha and other dumb shit.

And you keep saying that mecha are all equally impossible but you never say how and you just ignore all the differences anytime it's pointed out.
>>
>>14862628
Whoa whoa, I stopped replying at >>14862585
You've been having a back-and-forth with someone else kek
>>
>>14855917
>Why do realismfag get triggered by this?
>Moreover, why do people can suspend their disbelief when it comes to shounen and super heroes genre but not with mecha anime?
We're not fucking "triggered" by the anime itself, dipshit. We're annoyed that you're dumb enough to actually believe giant ass humanoid robota would be practical vehicles in any situation in real life. They're no different than monster trucks: They have no purpose other than to look cool and be entertaining.
>>
>>14862639
And how am I supposed to know?
>>
>>14862628
>This all started when dumb teenage nerds would go around posting things like OP's and asking why we don't use mecha and other dumb shit.

I never go on /k/, so that's your problem.

>And you keep saying that mecha are all equally impossible but you never say how and you just ignore all the differences anytime it's pointed out.

There are no fucking differences, no matter how many sniper rifles or black hole cutting swords you put on a 15m+ mecha, they're ALL unrealistic bullshit. Realism only applies to how practical mecha are in their own universe, in which case they are all practical. But outside of that, in your /k/fag territory, none of it any realistic at all.
>>
File: 1.jpg (82KB, 615x850px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
82KB, 615x850px
>>14855979
That's true. Vision is maybe the most powerful jobber in the Marvel canon next to Thanos.
>>
File: ex-s-parts.jpg (176KB, 736x968px) Image search: [Google]
ex-s-parts.jpg
176KB, 736x968px
>>14862438
I never said anything about realism, I was talking about Nagano's aesthetic preferences. For a guy who likes AFV's why does he give all his giant war weapons the looks of a fashion model? I'm saying I don't really see any kind of serious military inspiration from his designs. At least with Katoki and his hilariously over-the-top designs like the Ex-S you can see the influence. Stop dragging this conversation to something totally unrelated.
>>
>>14860952
See, I think IBO MS are just badly designed. They try to be gritty and militaristic, but then all the grunts have silly high heels and literal stick waists for no reason.
>>
File: e75-1.jpg (110KB, 1090x532px) Image search: [Google]
e75-1.jpg
110KB, 1090x532px
>>14861806
I've seen his flying tanks but never thought much of them. They are a departure design-wise from his mecha, I suppose. I've yet to see Nagano do a mecha design with this type of AFV aesthetic.
>>
>>14855917
They don't get over the fact that with all that plating, tank turret are need 6-9 second to rotate and need a full stop to do a meaningfull turn.

And enemies are actually into tactics and maneuvering instead of just stand still like an idiot like what /k/uck actually believe, since they never got to actual combat outside of target practice.
>>
>>14862696
>why does he give all his giant war weapons the looks of a fashion model?

In FSS, it explicitly said that it was master crafted grade weapons that was personally build for the liking of customers, and each of it was expression of art from their crafters, imagine the armor plates of 13-14th century lords.
>>
>>14862946
>Comparing real existing practical military vehicles to completely fictional animated superweapons

The F-35 is complete dogshit, couldn't even take out an X-Wing.
>>
>>14861858
No
Since it need one full lance of tanks to destroy one unsuspecting Zaku.
They don't even destroy that thing, just make it goes off balance and made the pilot goes blackout.
If the Zaku was already suspecting them, it will be another story.
>>
>>14862983
>Garasaki mech
>super weapons

It just multiarmed massproduced exoskeletons m8.

>Practical

The same like 19 century person considering canons and rifles are more practical than a glorified fliying kites aka. airplanes.
>>
>>14863015