[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just started watching the The 08th MS Team Gundam and whilst

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Gundam thread starter.jpg (646KB, 3037x2144px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam thread starter.jpg
646KB, 3037x2144px
I just started watching the The 08th MS Team Gundam and whilst I'm enjoying the aesthetics of it, the plot and it's tone kinda surprised me. Coming of the Gundam79 this feels a lot more "pg", more like a weekly episode of Gi Joe. Will the show hold this kinda tone for the whole duration or is it done just to lull the viewer with a false sense of safety?
>>
The tone is fairly consistent, but it has it's fair share of your regular gundam "war is bad" scenes.

I agree that it somehow manages to feel less real than First Gundam, though.
>>
>>14823195
>somehow manages to feel less real

Probably the fact that the cast is all of military age, and are actually trained soldiers. The war hasn't hit the point where half the human race is dead yet, so shit like teenagers pressed into service isn't as prevalent and the whole honorable aspect of war hasn't been quashed.
>>
>>14823861
By the time 8th MS team takes place half of humanity was already dead.
Also 0080 was more realistic and gritty than this shitty show.
>>
>>14823861
I think most would say that having adult soldier protagonists is one of the more "real feel" aspects of 08th MS.

I'm fairly sure what he was getting at is that the tone of the show is actually quite upbeat like 90% of the time, despite the "gritty grunt" aspects that exist. It's ultimately a very brightly colored show with a surprising amount of levity and a super idealistic protagonist that kinda gets to have his cake and eat it too.

08th has easily one of my favorite aesthetic handling of MS in a show but the show itself totally betrays the concept of a "gritty grunt" story thematically. OP, the show dips into darkness here and there, and IMO is worth a watch, but yeah this ain't no Front Mission: DOG LIFE DOG STYLE
>>
>>14823861
>The war hasn't hit the point where half the human race is dead yet
The first episode of 08th MS Team shows Gihren's speech during Garma's televised memorial service, and MSG already began by telling us half of the human population was dead.
>>
>>14823195
Don't worry, it gets far worse after episode 6 and turns into a shitty Romeo x Juliet melodrama.
>>
>>14823195
>this feels a lot more "pg", more like a weekly episode of Gi Joe

What do you think the main demographic for Gundam is? The main reason why these shows are produced in the first place is to push plastic on to 14yo boys.
>>
>>14826088
God that shit felt so out of place. BUT ITS OKAY WITH THE POWER OF LOVE WE CAN SURVIVE a fucking explosion
>>
Yeah sure, spider Gouf is what I think of when it comes to realistic.
>>
>>14823861
That happens the FIRST WEEK OF THE WAR
>>
>>14823199
>feel less real than First Gundam
>Gundam
>Real

The show does have it's moments
>One of the busted Zaku crew in the village ambush blows away a house full of people when it used its jump jet
>Ground GMs sent into the mountain where every entrance is booby trapped and filled with radiation
>Practically every mobile suit is a walking nuclear bomb and having to fight in populated areas
>Support crew are forced to fight sometimes
>>
The romance shit, while a little sappy at times, really drives home the theme that the people involved in the One Year War are just that: people. Flawed human beings, yes, but still capable of not always giving into base hatred and revenge, and willing to join together to rebuild the world into something better than the mess it is now.
>>
08th MS team provides an atmosphere grounded in reality that you don't see much in other Gundam stories
As for it being "PG" I'm just gonna spoil this right now and tell you that somebody gets pregnant at the end and also a bunch of villagers get flak shelled/swiss cheesed
>>
>>14826811
So THAT'S how Kira did it.
>>
>>14836230
the sight of a pregnant woman is distressing?
>>
>>14823886
>liking 0080 over 08th ms team
But why. That kid has to be the worsr character in UC
>>
>08th is PG
So, anyone want to tell OP what happens to Kikki in the novelization of 08th?
>>
>>14840020
>Al is shit
Yeah, but Al is us. The viewers who are all "pew pew, war is a game." Then he goes through some traumatic shit and learns better. And, of course, it ends with the best line in all of anime: "don't worry Al, I'm sure there'll be another war soon."
>>
>>14827426
You forgot the part where Shirou literally sidesteps a what is, basically, fucking artillery shell fired by a Zaku's machine gun.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.