[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Patlabor 2 is a great film but how do you feel about it shifting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: patlabor.jpg (19KB, 513x287px) Image search: [Google]
patlabor.jpg
19KB, 513x287px
Patlabor 2 is a great film but how do you feel about it shifting the focus away from Division 2 and the mecha for a more political serious plot?
>>
>>14803470
It's not a great film, and it sucks precisely because of the shift to political bullshit.
>>
>>14803470
It's a great film, and I thought the political/military drama is interesting. The shift away from the SV2 doesn't really bother me because they have 2 OVAs and a TV series dedicated to them.
>>
>>14803470
Kind of frustrating. I wanted Patlabor but I got political drama. I don't mind political drama and this was some good political drama but really, I just wanted a Patlabor movie.
>>
File: 1473448659921.png (97KB, 485x619px) Image search: [Google]
1473448659921.png
97KB, 485x619px
>Jin Roh 2 ft. Goto and Friends

It was actually the first piece of Patlabor media I ever saw, so I'm fine with it. Goto is my favorite Patlabor character anyway.

It's still better than Patlabor 3. Last fucking thing I wanted was for Evangelion to seep into Patlabor.
>>
>>14804409

I think I liked WXIII more actually. It at least was more upfront with how disconnected it was from the rest of shit.
>>
>>14803470
>Patlabor 2 is a great film but how do you feel about it shifting the focus away from Division 2 and the mecha for a more political serious plot?

Patlabor was never exclusively about the Alphonse. Even in the tv series, it's a 90% slice of life anime (thankfully not in a school), and 10% Alphone sorties to deal with some kind of police emergency.
The first film had no political plot, as it was a classic police mystery film. Alphonse was in it for what ? The one scence where it takes down a crazy labor and in the final couple of minutes of the film when the second squad is trying to bring down the platform ?
In the first series OVA you had 2 episodes that dealt with politics around the SDF forces. So the film in this respect was nothing new. It just added a more coherent backstory to the attempted military coup.
>>
File: havet feels.png (255KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
havet feels.png
255KB, 640x480px
>>14803470
The character development in it hit me really hard because at the time I saw it I had seen the OVAs, the second OVAs, the first movie, and howevermuch of the TV was out commercially at the time, and I was at the point in life where my high school friends and I were starting to move on and do other things with their lives.

We as an onlines hadn't quantified the feel yet, but I felt feels then.
>>
>>14803470
It's a boring political thriller that falls flat.
The fact that it was shoehorned into the Patlabor franchise and did a very poor use of its characters and distinctive setting elements simply makes it even more of a waste of good animator skills.
Much like Jin-Roh's underuse of Kerberos dudes in action scenes, in favor of large amounts of talking heads, is a waste of good animator skills.

Politically-centered plots in Patlabor may not be new, but they didn't have massive budgets and highly skilled animators thrown at them for no good reason.

It's an exaggeration, but fuck it I'm gonna do it: Patlabor 2 is the Star Wars prequel of Patlabor.
>>
>>14804409
But the original OVA series had an ep dealing with a giant monster, too...
>>
>>14804497
I think maybe Mamoru Oshii's stories aren't your cup of tea? I love Patlabor 2 and Jin-Roh and didn't realize there was a contingent of people who actively disliked them.
>>
>>14804846
Not that anon, but I've never enjoyed anything Oshii made. It never felt like he knew how to naturally communicate his ideas without ranting directly to the audience using his characters as mouth pieces. Maybe Angels Egg is better, I hear they don't talk much in that one.

Maybe it really is just 2deep4me
>>
>>14804497
>Patlabor 2 is the Star Wars prequel of Patlabor.
Where's the irritating "humorous" sidekick?
Where's the blatant CG?
>>
>>14803470
It felt kinda sobering knowing that SV2's adventures were mostly over and that everyone was moving on with their lives

but all great things must come to an end that's what makes them so special in the first place
>>
I think Shinobu having an affair with the movies antagonist was tacked on.
>>
>>14804836
Don't tell me you can't see the difference between a goofy cartoon monster and a horrible suicide-inducing abomination of science.
>>
>>14803470
Oshii is always best when he's kept on a leash. He's excellent at visual direction, animation and atmosphere. All those things always excel in all his movies. He just needs to philosophize. But he does occasionally go off the rails and has to jump up and down on his soapbox to make his pet point.
Patlabor 1 is a great Patlabor movie that has Oshii's fingerprints all over it.
Patlabor 2 is just Oshii's cock print with Patlabor wrapped around it.
>>
File: best boss.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
best boss.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
>>14804409
All this good taste
>>
>>14804846
No, boring stories about boring non-characters told in a boring way aren't my cup of tea.
>>
>>14803470

The movie is great and oshii is a good director but you can tell that he was just using the setting of patlabor to tell his own story just like what he did with gits. Nothing wrong with that, but patlabor 2 is radically different from the rest of the series because of this.
>>
>>14809169
>Just like he did with GitS
No. GitS is just the puppetmaster arc with a few scenes taken from other parts of the manga, and some dialog and other scenes removed to make it tighter.
The big difference it has with the manga is that all the characters had their personality removed and that the tone is much gloomier. But that's just how seinen movies were made in the early 90s. It really isn't Oshii's story, it's just a simpler version of the original story, directed in a way that makes every loose end seem intentional when they're just side-effects of the format shift or already present in the manga.
>>
>>14809206

He still interjected his own style though, like animal observers, reflections out the ass, making the eyes look dead, etc. That's what I was referring to.
>>
>>14809355
Yeah but it's radically different from what he did with Patlabor 2.
>>
Patlabor 1 did a much better job of balancing an interesting philosophical standpoint and its meaning to contemporary Japanese society with being an interesting and enjoyable film. Patlabor 2, while still fantastic, has eyes bigger than its stomach and ends up dominated by its message, to the detriment of the film. It feels more like an essay than anything at points, which is a bad sign.
>>
>>14809389

The techniques aren't radically differen't though. Tons of birds (remember the bird like helicopters), beagles looking at people, reflections in shop windows, etc. It's pretty obvious when Oshii is working on something.
>>
>>14809455
Those are just cosmetic details.
GitS is just Oshii taking a piss on his dad's car and calling it his own when he's driving it to the grocery store.
Patlabor 2 is Oshii stealing his dad's car, getting Xzibit to replace the engine and add a couple neon lights and flame decals, and then going for a wild highway ride that ends with him crashing it into a grandma's house.
>>
Are you saying that bPatlabor 2 couldve been set in a different setting and still be the same story?
>>
>>14809651
Yeah
>>
I didnt like the P2 movie, except for the opening sequence, but the soundtrack was fucking fantastic.

I wish more mecha anime's used ambient music as well as P2 did.
>>
>>14803470
It hurt the film
>>
>>14803470

I thought the first film was better. Actual police drama and a detective story in a series about the police.

The second and third film stories didn't even try to work with their own setting assumptions.
>>
>REEEEEEEE
>NOT MUH PATLABOR
>NOT MUH WAIFU NOA
>SHIIIIIIIIIIT FILM!!!!

Why is this board so full of manchildren?
>>
>>14804902
>Where's the blatant CG?

In all the computer displays and readouts.
>>
>>14811010
That's not "blatant".
>>14810980
anything that doesn't jerk off their walking toys is shit.
>>
>>14810980
it's shit even as far as political thrillers are concerned.

least thrilling political thriller I've watched
>>
>>14804895
You didn't like his Patlabor episodes? Or the best episodes of Urusei Yatsura?
>>
>>14811020
spotted the adhd retard--stick to gundam build fighters next time
>>
File: NuMale-graphic.jpg (401KB, 1050x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NuMale-graphic.jpg
401KB, 1050x1080px
>>14810980
>I enjoy "deep" and "psychological" anime
>>
>>14811098
You really think we're gonna fall for this blatant falseflag?

Of course patlabor 2 is pretentious. Your attempt to associate /pol/tards with those who are aware of this fact in order to discredit the latter is futile.
>>
>>14811146
If by "assuming you have some knowledge of early 90s Japanese geopolitics" than yes, P2 is pretentious. Otherwise that word isn't really appropriate
>>
>>14811151
The word is appropriate. At the heart of Patlabor 2, there's Oshii's pretension to elevate dumb teenager entertainment to the level of serious adult movies, which is laughable since the only unarguably good parts of this movie are those any teenager can appreciate: the flashy animation sequences. So, in effect, he elevated a boring, uninteresting political thriller for adults to the level of dumb entertainment for teenagers, but not very successfully because it wasn't what he was trying to do.
>>
>>14803470
it's Good
>>
>>14811201
It's like Kimagure Orange Road. You should mute it, turn off the subs, put on some appropriate ambient music and watch it while high on codeine.
>>
>>14810980
>M'LADY
>ANIME IS A DEEP AND MATURE MEDIUM FOR DEEP AND MATURE PEOPLE LIKE ME
>GET THOSE BITCHES AND WHORES OUT OF HERE WE NEED FLAT CASTS FOR MATURE STORIES
>GOTYAY OSHIIIIII PLEASE LET ME BLOW YOU

Why is this board so full of try-hard intellectuals?
>>
>>14811166
Hey now, I liked the scene with the SDF in the city with all the civillians interacting with them. Stuff like the tanks sharing the same road as the cars.
>>
>>14803470
>Patlabor 2 is a great film but how do you feel about it shifting the focus away from Division 2 and the mecha for a more political serious plot?

I liked it. It served as last stint of SV2 for a reunion party near the end.
I liked the political subtext of the movie too.
When I first watched it, it was too dull for me.
2nd time around, I actually liked the sombre parts.
I think I am getting old.
>>
>>14813685
If you watch Patlabor 2 and think it has political "subtext" rather than blatant, in-your-face-the-whole-time literal political text, then yeah you might be getting old. Full-blown alzheimer's in fact.
>>
Not gonna lie: I had a hard time staying awake during the film.
>>
>>14812020
I hear Bennett the Sage sometimes posts here.
>>
>>14813692
To be fair I do have perception problem, like that instance where I found homo-eroticism in Apocalypse Zero subtle, for /m/ did say that I live in a gay bar in a very very gay place.
Considering /m/ is the only place I gotta got to, they were righr.
>>
File: 1441415348744.jpg (45KB, 700x476px) Image search: [Google]
1441415348744.jpg
45KB, 700x476px
>>14813737
>homo-eroticism in Apocalypse Zero
>subtle
>>
How the hell do I watch Patlabor? I've heard reports I should just watch the series first before delving into the movies considering they have a much more changed tone compared to them.
>>
>>14813989
production order
>>
>>14813989
There's two continuities. One is OVA1 and the movies, the other is TV and OVA2. Pick one, go for it.
>>
Standard Oshii pretentiousness, nothing beyond that.

Although to people feeling they got screwed in wanting another movie about patlabor. The issue is, it's not, it's a political thriller set in the Patlabor world. Same as Wasted XIII is a police noir set in the Patlabor world.

It's because of that, that people who went into the film expecting it to be about SV2 and some solid labor action like the first movie got hit so hard with whiplash where they only touch on where the members are now before sticking to Goto's trampsing around Japan for a majority of the film. The real scene that probably was a kick to the groin is the one near the beginning where Noa states she outgrew Alphonse. Yes, a good message about growing up and not always being labeled as the same thing throughout your life, but that sameness is what gives the viewers comfort Or at least if the change did happen, it's part of a progression that they follow and not just a time skip that starts with 'I'm older and don't want to be seen as the labor girl anymore'.

>>14813989
3 timelines.

The Manga

First OVA > Wasted XIII > The first Movie > The Second Movie

TV Series > Second OVA

It's worth going through it all. And hoping someone translates the rest of the manga into English. That's currently in the NEVER EVER Category with Steel Angel Kurumi But in terms of where you want to start, the amount of time you want to put in is a good way to decide. Hint: First OVA and the movies take up a lot less time.
>>
>>14816701
She bites at Asuma pretty much every time we see her we do not see her very often about not wanting to just be that chick loving labors. It's not that she doesn't love them anymore, she just wants an identity outside them.
>>
>>14813694
It's interesting how much pacing has an impact on the perceived length of a film. If you didn't know that The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was the second longest animated feature ever and the longest post-2000, you probably wouldn't guess it was the case. It just doesn't feel like a long movie. Patlabor 2 on the other hand doesn't even crack the two hour mark but feels like an extremely long film.
>>
File: file.jpg (119KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
119KB, 1280x688px
>>14803470
I didn't understand any of it sadly.
>>
The first movie's art was better.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.