[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished Gun X sword this week. What did you guys think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: 57985685_p0.jpg (250KB, 700x1012px) Image search: [Google]
57985685_p0.jpg
250KB, 700x1012px
I just finished Gun X sword this week.

What did you guys think of it?

I really liked almost everything about it, except the ending which while not bad could have been more satisfying in my opinion
>>
>>14795789

What the fuck are you on about the ending was one of the most satisfying I think Ive ever seen.
>>
>>14795789
Definition of a fun anime right there. Does what it set out to do and did it really well. You gotta respect the fact that Van never lost his conviction and literally never changes his motivation from cold blooded revenge.

As cool as Dann is, Vulkein was my favorite. Also to mirror what >>14795832
said, i don't know what the fuck you are talking about with the ending. That is one of the most tightly knit, well executed endings in an anime which is extra special since the medium and Japanese storytelling as a whole are consistently flooded with terrible endings.
>>
>>14796077
Forgot my pic
>>
>>14796077
>. You gotta respect the fact that Van never lost his conviction and literally never changes his motivation from cold blooded revenge.
Yep I respect the notion that he was as one-dimensional as every character in this show.
>>
>>14796088
Van is far from one dimensional, he just was a man robbed of his dreams and his happiness so he became a broken husk determined to kill the man who stole all that from him. Even when they reveal how dangerous Claw is, Van doesn't let that affect his motivation and merely still wants revenge.

I'm not gonna try and claim anyone is particularly super deep, but most of the main cast has at least some development or arc and aren't really one dimensional. Although, the only ones with serious development was Van, Wendy, and Ray.
>>
>>14795789
The ending was perfect, as just about everything else apart the first three episodes.
>>
File: 1469574535478.png (801KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469574535478.png
801KB, 1280x720px
>>14796192
>Van is far from one dimensional,
>precedes to prove why he is one dimensional

Kinda sad that this was a lot of people's first revenge driven story so it left an impression on them given how unimpressive it was as a whole.
>>
>>14795789
>Generic and uninspired setting

>Black and white morality despite people going gaga over a protagonist getting revenge like its never been done before.

>Forgettable cast of characters

>Barebones story

If you're looking for a trashy mecha anime to waste an afternoon then sure its entertaining enough unlike a lot of trashy shows (Cross Ange) it doesn't go beyond its scope or forget what it really is in the end but I wouldn't call it godsend.
>>
>>14796454

Gee it's almost like execution matters more than a one or two sentence description.

>>14796495

You know we can tell when you're same fagging right? The board tracks how many posters are in the thread.
>>
>>14796454
>Holding conviction means you are one dimensional
So what? Unless he becomes a 100%different person he isn't developed? The whole series is wrought with episodes where Van is challenged in his conviction and he has to severely think about what he is doing. Van is not the same person he started as, the only thing that stayed was his conviction to kill Claw.
>>
>>14796532
>execution
>A PROTAGONIST DOES WHAT HE SAY HE DOES THIS SO SO REVOLUTIONARY

You fags are a joke.

>>14796563
>The whole series is wrought with episodes where Van is challenged in his conviction
No he's not. Nobody ever calls him out over what he's doing is morally wrong because The Claw is evil. The only time he ever doubted himself is when he lost to the fag with the Oedipus complex which had literally nothing to do with his revenge. Even the notion of killing children gets pushed aside as nothing and once again the show doesn't doesn't let up on making them evil assholes who deserves what they get. Van doesn't change at all through the course of the story because he barely has a character to begin with much like everyone else in the cast who are just there.
>>
>>14796532
>>14796532
>The board tracks how many posters are in the thread.
Either newfag or retard either way since you opted to use the samefag argument I'll take that as a concession.
>>
Dann has toes.
This was actually an exploitable weakness.

It was a really cool show.
>>
>>14796495
>Black and white morality despite people going gaga over a protagonist getting revenge like its never been done before.
This is what got me too and why I never got the hype it got back then. Van kills the badguy. The End. What exactly is so great about?
>>14796563
You're one-dimensional if that conviction defines your entire character. There isn't anything to Van's character other than his conviction.
>>
>>14796593
>Nobody ever calls him out over what he's doing is morally wrong
The fuck are you talking about? They do plenty. But they can't convince him otherwise and the fact that Claw is revealed to be a lunatic makes them agree he needs to die. But there are points pretty much everyone in his party aren't sure about continuing because so many people keep telling them Claw is actually working towards would peace.

They still all tell Van wanting revenge isn't this healthy, nor is willing to die for it or let others die because of it.
>>
>>14796627
>This is what got me too and why I never got the hype it got back then. Van kills the badguy. The End. What exactly is so great about?
No one claimed it reinvented the wheel, it's just satisfying. A lot anime and stories in general the goal here changed or affected, especially with revenge stories they have a tendency of making the hero change his mind and act "noble" instead. The main reason people like the ending is how cathartic it was, it delivered on its promise and then wrapped up everything leaving no loose ends.
>>
>>14796635
>The fuck are you talking about? They do plenty.
Let's see.

Wendy doesn't
The old guys and the waitress don't
Carmen doesn't
Ray doesn't
That bunny girl just wants to marry him

About the only person who does is Joshua and he gets shut down rather quick and then does a complete 180 once Ray dies. So nobody actually does challenges him on the matter because they either don't care or see The Claw as evil.

>But there are points pretty much everyone in his party aren't sure about continuing because so many people keep telling them Claw is actually working towards would peace.
This never fucking happens. At all. Fist time they meet one of the Claw's supporters their first response is that "this guy is insane" before they were just following Van because they saw all the fucked up shit the people doing his biding were doing and wanted to stop him at no point do they actually believe what the Claw is doing would lead to peace.

They never do because they don't have any fucking character.
>>
>>14796593
There's more to depth than arbitrary quantification of what actions can and cannot be considered evil and simple minded morality.
Just the same, there's more that can be classified under "questioning conviction" than just soft-headed "whether this is Good or Evil."
It's unfortunate seeing as your argument relies on the notion that "morality" is the only theme any show should be addressing. It's further unfortunate when your definition of handling morality within the narrative is soft-headed "killing is bad" which is a theme in and of itself. Just the same, the notion of an antithesis to this theme is likewise an equally applicable and justifiable theme to fall under the concept of morality.

>which had literally nothing to do with his revenge
The focus wasn't on his revenge, but his fear of death. Losing in his fight against Claw. This is a direct relation to the character and his zeal. "Revenge" is the motivation of the show, but hardly the focused theme.
>>
Dann of Thursday is still one of the best mechanical designs I've seen.
>>
>>14796653
>A lot anime and stories in general the goal here changed or affected, especially with revenge stories they have a tendency of making the hero change his mind and act "noble" instead.
People were saying this shit a lot too and even back then it was still fucking stupid. The show was just hyped up by newshits who don't watch a lot of anime it seems.
>>
>>14796681
So you are just going to ignore everything I say and just call everyone who likes it new?
>>
>>14796671
>They never do because they don't have any fucking character.

The only thing worth sympathizing over Claw about is his kind personality. Otherwise, there's no other reason for the characters to bring up an argument in his favor.
>>
>>14796691
Isn't that how arguing works?
>>
File: Phoenix_Karma.jpg (165KB, 400x568px) Image search: [Google]
Phoenix_Karma.jpg
165KB, 400x568px
>>14796653
>No one claimed it reinvented the wheel, it's just satisfying
So the hero defeating the badguy is satisfying? Wow.
> A lot anime and stories in general the goal here changed or affected, especially with revenge stories they have a tendency of making the hero change his mind and act "noble" instead.
First of all, no there's plenty of show that don't go that direction and the one's that do are usually a lot more engaging than GxS was because by the end of the day it was just a good versus evil story and not much else.
>>
File: b4LZAMR.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
b4LZAMR.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>14796691
Well yeah because

a ) You're wrong lots of anime has heroes go through with revenge but very rarely do they make the hero out to being a monster in that regard which GxS didn't. The villians were just that horrible.

b ) What exactly is considered satisfying is different for many people.
>>
File: 1473147203424.png (420KB, 750x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1473147203424.png
420KB, 750x1100px
>>14796722
Are you being ironic in posting a scene of THAT revenge and criticizing GxS?
>>
>>14795789
>except the ending which while not bad could have been more satisfying in my opinion

Are you talking about everybody going their own way and Van subscribing to the life of a vagabond once more?
>>
File: Bunda thread 2.gif (2MB, 864x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bunda thread 2.gif
2MB, 864x480px
I think this is a butt I'd spank
>>
I liked the show, i started out not liking it much.

I really like how interconnected almost every event is, shit like how Metal Blue was supposed to salvage Saudade from the ruins, but with it destroyed one of the claws associates had to go and hire normies, which Van and company wind up assisting

Theres a surprising amount of depth and neat stuff to catch on a repeat viewing.

Other anons have brought it up though, and are right, the show has a dull setting, and Van is an extremely one dimensional character, but luckily he's more of a vehicle for action, while the rest of the cast does most of the heavy lifting character wise.

I'd say the show overall is a solid 6/10 with an excellent final act. If it was anyone but Taniguchi directing it it'd probably be a hot pile of shit.
>>
File: 1473021189958.png (194KB, 307x380px) Image search: [Google]
1473021189958.png
194KB, 307x380px
>>14796742
>Gon takes a blind girl hostage as the person who killed his master is helpless to do anything to bind time to protect his King from harm
>When its discovered that his master can't return to life the MC wastes no time and killing him

Meanwhile in GxS the worst thing Van ever does is kill a child but its okay because those kids were evil anyways.
>>
>>14796779
Ray kills both of the kids doesn't he.

Van is pretty sin free all things considered.
>>
>>14796794
>Ray kills both of the kids doesn't he.
Yes. I might be misremembering something but I do think Van winds up injuring one of them and Ray taking them both out. Ray was more of a bastard than Van.
>>
>>14796794
If you want to get technical, Ray kills the sister while the brother drowned in the Blue Stuff.
>>
>>14796805
Van just disarms them.
Ray took out the sister because she blocked the shot while the brother was collateral.
>>
I really enjoyed this show back in the day

>>14796751 was pure love
>>
>>14799394
Carmen99 was best, and I'm not normally one for brown girls
>>
>>14796703
>So the hero defeating the badguy is satisfying?

...Yes, generally?
>>
I think we can all agree that Priscilla > Carmen >>>>> Wendy
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.