[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What non-Getter Robo Ishikawa manga are there? Either translated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 12

File: the fuck am i reading.jpg (86KB, 383x383px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck am i reading.jpg
86KB, 383x383px
What non-Getter Robo Ishikawa manga are there? Either translated or untranslated will do fine.
>>
>>14770232
http://bato.to/search?artist_name=ISHIKAWA%20Ken
>>
>>14770232
Read Majuu Sensen.
>>
Is Ishikawa known for anything major outside of Getter Robo?
>>
>>14770416
Majuu Sensen
Records of Nothingness
Yakuza Weapon adapted into movie in 2011
>>
>>14770416
His most famous works are
Getter Robo
Kyomu Senki
Majuu Sensen
Gokudo Heiki
>>
He's also known for the manga version of Makai Tensho.
>>
How are his other works? Are they worth checking out?
>>
>>14770456
>>14770463
A simple "no" would have sufficed.
>>
>>14770319
>Metroid
Wait what
>>
>>14770548
You're an idiot. All of those have been made into one or multiple anime, and Gokudo was a recent movie.
>>
>>14770548
Kill yourself pablo
>>
>>14770582
It's just a guy with the same last name as Ken Ishikawa.
>>
>>14770582
>samus actually has the shine spark as one of his attacks
THE CHOZO ARE HERALDS OF THE GETTER
jokes aside, that manga was made by kenji ishikawa, not ken ishikawa, looking at samus, that's not ishikawa's style
it would've been great though, considering how he drew organic stuff
>>
File: latest.jpg (426KB, 732x618px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
426KB, 732x618px
>>14770651
I always thought it was hilarious how the move in Metroid was literally called Shine Spark. They weren't trying to hide that reference at all, were they?
>>
>>14770386
Not OP but I did. It ended in a cliff hanger. Then I learned that the sequel manga is untranslated. So don't actually read Majuu Sensen unless you want to get blue balled or unless you actually can read Japanese.
>>
>>14771128
This is a thread about Ken Ishikawa, everyone who has read Getter Robo already know the pain of a series blue balling you. At least there's a hope someday Many Sensen will get it's finished translation, Getter will NEVER finish.
>>
>>14771128
episode 3 of the majuu sensen ova offers a concliusion.

even so, why the fuck does it matter? i went into majuu sensen being fully aware that it was going to end on a cliffhanger, and guess what, I still enjoyed the story a lot.

there is also the 2003 anime which acts as a sequel too.
>>
File: terry pissed.jpg (237KB, 678x1049px) Image search: [Google]
terry pissed.jpg
237KB, 678x1049px
>>14770232

His Fatal Fury book is nuts
>>
>>14771128
Shinsetsu Majuu Sensen is a sequel of sorts but it really has nothing to do with the story of the first series besides sharing the same MC.
>>
>>14771183
>episode 3 of the majuu sensen ova offers a concliusion.
I didn't know that. Guess I have something new to watch then.
>even so, why the fuck does it matter?
I'm just giving a warning to anyone who might think of reading it. I also enjoyed it.

>>14771157
>This is a thread about Ken Ishikawa, everyone who has read Getter Robo already know the pain of a series blue balling you.
Exactly why it's sad to have it happen again, and by the same author.
>>
File: 1473837191111.png (984KB, 800x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473837191111.png
984KB, 800x720px
>>14771204
>Exactly why it's sad to have it happen again, and by the same author.
Except you can experience a form of plot resolution with the OVA and there's hope in the future for the sequel to be translated. Ain't ever gonna be a proper ending to Getter.
>>
>>14770651
>his
>>
>>14771228
ayyy brain fart sorry
>>
>>14771204
if you can't handle the kyomuru, ishikawa's always gonna leave you hurting
>>
>>14770232
With Ishikawa's manga I have the same problem as Yokoyama's, as in I can't get into any of their manga that are historical. Only their science fiction works.
>>
>>14772257
Sounds like a deeply personal failing.
>>
>>14770655
Oh fuck, I never made the connection. That's really cool.
>>
>>14770599
>multiple

Who are you kidding, man?
>>
>>14773948
Majuu Sensen has two different anime series, though the second one is based on the second series.
>>
>>14773948
>>14774074
Also it's important to note that few mangaka get anime series based on more than one of their works, especially over the course of multiple decades.
>>
Nice, new Kyomu Senki
>>
>>14774074
Beast Fighter? It's based on none, it's an 100% original low budget sequel to the original. From the crap studios that brought us Genma Wars and Babel II Beyond Infinity.
>>
>>14774083
Getting 2 low budget short OAV series during the 80s economic boom is not exactly an impressive feat, you know.
>>
>>14774642
No, it's loosely based on Shinsetsu.

>>14774657
Nice try, but Apocalypse is a 00s anime.
>>
>>14774684
>No, it's loosely based on Shinsetsu.

There's nothing in common, though. Shintetsu has Maria becoming a beast warrior herself. In the anime, she's dead and replaced by a new girl called Ayaka who doesn't exist in the manga. The plot is nothing alike either.
>>
>>14774684
>Nice try, but Apocalypse is a 00s anime.

Have you ever watched it? Really? It's barely animated. As a matter of fact, I was talking about the original Majuu Sensen OVA and Miroku. I would not even consider Apocalypse. It was literally made by a studio which only experience is doing in-between animation for other companies.
>>
>>14775096
>There's nothing in common
The three main characters, Shinichi, the new girl and the new kid, are in both the manga and the OVA. It's like Devilman Lady anime/manga. They're different takes on the same concept. The manga is from 2002 and the Apocalypse anime is 2003.
>>
>>14773948
>>14774642
>>14775096
Getter Robo Armageddon is alternate universe Majuu Sensen anime.

Check mate Pablo.
>>
>>14771214
Getters ending was cooler that way desu
I mean, whats left to tell? Shin Dragon wrecks the Earth and Getter Emperor conquerors the galaxy
>>
>>14775454
>I mean, whats left to tell? Shin Dragon wrecks the Earth and Getter Emperor conquerors the galaxy
Getter Emperor is ultimately a source of good, the story for Arc is just incomplete so it seems like a bad guy. Getter stated all of its plans in the go/shin series, which basically boiled down to preserving and spreading life.
>>
>>14775261
It's the same kid and same girl in the manga. And the same kid and different girl in the anime.
>>
>>14770232
I remember he did an Ultraman Taro manga once. It was weird.
>>
What happens in Shinsetsu?

I watched the 2003 anime, and from what I can gather, it's a sequel to the original manga.

Maria isn't alive in it. Ayaka takes her place.

I'd definitely watch a newer rendition of the manga. It's really a perfect revenge story for edgelords like myself.
>>
File: 真説 魔獣戦線 04-0151.jpg (413KB, 907x1300px) Image search: [Google]
真説 魔獣戦線 04-0151.jpg
413KB, 907x1300px
>>14771195
But
-the disciples are there
-the dad is there
-the flashbacks of the mom death scene are there

how is it not a sequel?
>>
>>14780485
Can you read Japanese? If no, then please refrain from talking about it.
>>
>>14780500
I'm asking a question, not making a statement. Not meant to be passive aggressive either.
>>
File: Majuu-Sensen-v02-361.png (180KB, 753x1194px) Image search: [Google]
Majuu-Sensen-v02-361.png
180KB, 753x1194px
I want to say that the MC challenging God is a good enough ending, but Maju Sensen is so fucking good at setting up its insane yet oddly logical (within its own constrains) lore that I just know Ishikawa would've done a fucking amazing climactic face-off.
>>
File: Majuu-Sensen-v01-365.png (381KB, 779x1170px) Image search: [Google]
Majuu-Sensen-v01-365.png
381KB, 779x1170px
I like how Ishikawa was completely self aware that "monkey tree" (actually they're apes :^)) was a hilarious concept and made a bunch of gag drawings during that scene
>>14775114
>>14774684
I dunno why "00s anime" would mean anything, Genma Wars was a 00s anime too and it looks like shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2bgjqZw9I#t=8m10s Holy crap you fuckers weren't kidding, this is particularly bad hentai-tier art direction and animation.
>>14775881
Ishikawa would be a great fit for a Leo manga. Taro not so much.
>>
I wonder who the hell chose the opening song for the 2003 series. This is supposed to be a post apocalyptic anime, not some naruto type shounen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htp3rAzXfkc

They did the same shit with the 2002 Mao Dante series too. Same studio (Magic Bus) and director (Kenichi Maejima), less than a year prior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh_rnrnQfPw
>>
>>14780564
actually wait they have tiny tails I think that counts as monkeys
>>
>>14780564
When people say that new getter robo has bad animation, I show them Mao Dante or this.

Brain's Base animation is far beyond Magic Bus.

And Magic Bus isn't too bad either in recent years. They were the ones who did the Cobra OVAs and those were alright.
>>
File: Majuu-Sensen-v02-337.png (339KB, 783x1188px) Image search: [Google]
Majuu-Sensen-v02-337.png
339KB, 783x1188px
Why do Nagai and Ishikawa both do the "girl is a midget when clothed, suddenly becomes an adult woman with huge boobs when she gets naked" thing, it's weird as hell and probably my only big complaint about Majuu Sensen
>>
>>14780608

One of my complaints with Majuu Sensen is that the girl we see in the beginning is never seen again.

What was the point of her existence when we have Maria?
>>
File: Majuu-Sensen-v02-014.png (341KB, 798x1187px) Image search: [Google]
Majuu-Sensen-v02-014.png
341KB, 798x1187px
>>14780606
>When people say that new getter robo has bad animation
I feel kinda bad because I used to claim this here back in 2008 when I had dumb standards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWLF2FfpnMg watching videos like this REALLY make me want to rewatch New, there seems to be a lot of good animation that I missed. It was just neither super fluid nor super-wacky Kanada stuff so my dumb underage self saw it as "not good".

Ep 3's mecha fight had some pretty exaggerated poses though, like the one Getter 1 strikes while in silhouette.
>>
>>14780565
I think the first one's alright; not as comically unfitting in terms of tone as the second one at least.
>>
>>14780627
Super fluid isn't everything in animation. New Getter shows this. It's not fluid, but the key animation and the choice of angles in several scenes is pretty good.

Western cartoons are fluid (like family guy), but their scenes are static and frankly boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ws-mYyHNnE
>>
Jun Kawagoe gets a lot of flak but the guy is seriously an underrated storyboarder. He apparently did all the action scenes in Mazinkaiser SKL himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4qOoGO44mA&t=20m58s

This short sequence from SKL was better choreographed than any fight scenes in bigger budgeted shows like TTGL and the rest, and he does it with less than 1/4 of the budget.
>>
Also this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hQp9JLb1hA

There's barely any animation here, and it even resorts to cut ins, but as a scene it's memorable and well done. Again, fluid animation isn't everything.
>>
>>14780485
It's a very loose sequel if you ask me. And it ends in yet another cliffhanger.
>>
>>14780686
Oh obviously I wouldn't have thought Family Guy looked good because it used a surprising amount of frames for its simple weightless motions, I just thought stuff had to go "all the way" so if it was limited it had to be super-wacky like Kanada's 2005 Gaiking scene or something and since Getter wasn't going for that I felt it didn't go far enough in the "fluid" direction (like say a bunch of scenes in Armageddon).

But yeah I was wrong, there's a bunch of good stuff in that clip.
>>
>>14780564
You should try watching the Mao Dante anime. Fucking awful.
>>
>>14780717
>This short sequence from SKL was better choreographed than any fight scenes in bigger budgeted shows like TTGL and the rest, and he does it with less than 1/4 of the budget.
I'm actually curious what you mean by "the rest" since Gurren is a stock "ugh, overrated" show and people will unironically say Chargeman Ken looks better than it.

SKL looks better than I recall but still not super impressive
>>14780745
I really enjoyed that scene but I wouldn't say it beats Gurren's best scenes in terms of storyboarding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7JqnxAoh-E#t=1m8s Here's an IMOI actually-fantastic Kawagoe anime fight scene that rivals even the best GL scenes in sheer dynamism as far as storyboarding goes. Kawagoe's Cyborg 009 has a bunch of really good action too.
>>
>>14780564
>I dunno why "00s anime" would mean anything
Because the question was about the decade of its creation, imbecile.
>>
>>14780755
The entire appeal of Japanese animation is limited animation, which is what Tezuka's been doing for all his life.

I don't find Disney animation particularly impressive. They use a lot of frames to animate the characters, but the background is unchanging. For me, key animation is more important than inbetween animation. You can have entire shows missing inbetween animation, and it would still look better to me than those Disney anime.
>>
>>14780794
Actually screw it, I can't think of a single GL scene that beats that berserk Ryoma fight in terms of everyone moving around consistently during the action for a very long time. Gurren had a LOT of stuff that was like, "time to slow-mo in mid-air so the characters can exchange lines"; which worked well for plot exposition but broke up the dynamism of the fight hugely.

But yeah I do think the Kawagoe hate is dumb.
>>
>>14780794
>SKL looks better than I recall but still not super impressive
SKL is not fluid, but it has detail, and good storyboarding. TTGL is more fluid, but I don't care for its action scenes in the entirety of the second half. The first half had a few good moments, but it's been so long I watched it, and I don't care much for Imaishi's zany style.

As for Imagawa, I don't care for his action either. Giant Robo showed moments of storyboarding brilliance during a few action scenes, but for the most part, his action isn't exciting to watch; case in point, G Gundam. All the tournament fights were one-note. There's not much back and forth.

Tomino is another guy who I absolutely do not give a crap about when it comes to his action scenes.

>>14780819
>time to slow-mo in mid-air so the characters can exchange lines
You finally understand why I couldn't care for TTGL's action. Imagawa does this too, and it's bloody annoying.
>>
>>14780802
Please don't ever speak about animation ever again.
>>
>>14780843
Oh I will. Limited animation is what saved Japan's animation industry.
>>
>>14780843
Japan's key animation takes up the whole scene. American key animation is limited to the characters for the most part.
>>
This is starting to stink of diebuster
>>
>>14780794
Also, we pretty much saw what Kawagoe did with Armageddon, when he was given a sizeable budget. The final episode was pretty good purely on its storyboarding aspect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX-kgtVPHWM&t=7m35s
>>
>>14780802
Everyone talks about 60s Astro Boy as if it was just super-choppy bad animation non-stop but it had some pretty fucking lively scenes that everyone ignores

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/18589/animated-artist_unknown-fighting-smears-tetsuwan_a

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/18587/animated-artist_unknown-character_acting-tetsuwan_

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/18583/animated-genga-gisaburou_sugii-osamu_tezuka-tetsuw

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/21493/animated-artist_unknown-effects-explosions-morphin
>>14780840
I think the talky stuff can work well within the context of the shows since it's about having both action and plot/character development at the same time, but you undeniably have to sacrifice dynamism for it. So yeah I completely see what you mean.
>>14780848
Not the same guy. While I think you're spot on about Japanese animation being generally all about limited animation, the stuff about Disney is pretty disagreeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lA-lbLXpQ This is compositionally flat as hell and stage play-like but the character animation is pretty damn impressive. It's not just about having a lot of frames but also about obeying the laws of physics accurately and having high-quality acting.
>>14780885
Armageddon's final episode is pretty fantastic visually.
>>
But to balance out the animation stuff:

https://manga.madokami.al/search?q=ken+ishikawa There's more translated Ishikawa stuff than I thought. I'll have to read everything there that's been done before rewatching Armageddon and New to get as many references as possible.
>>
>>14780930
>madokami
pure cancer
kill yourself
>>
>>14780958
What are cool internet dudes supposed to use then faglord
>>
File: ff.jpg (614KB, 1356x1049px) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
614KB, 1356x1049px
>>14780974
Well to be fair Batoto+scanlator sites is probably the best possible choice since Madokami is incomplete and doesn't include things like his Fatal Fury manga or the Megaman doujin
>>
>>14780974
google
scanlator site
baka manga
batoto
anything but a password protected gaylord site
>>
>>14781054
You were right to call me out, I was just being lazy as shit and want a site that has everything for easy download. But actually spending an extra minute to find shit yourself is not that big of a deal.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_n1T96pmnI That one anon made me think a bunch about Kawagoe's storyboarding and he really is underrated at it
>>
>>14781193
Yup.

The fun part about this is that Kawagoe does more than just Dynamic Pro OVAs.

He directed the 2009, 2014 and 2016 Anpanman movies. When he wasn't directing, he was helping with the process back in the 90s with his storyboarding and key animation.
>>
>>14782529
I already brought up Cyborg 009 being good. Anpanman seems like something that might be charming sometimes that will never be subbed for being "ugh, kiddy" (if those movies have subs then I'm shocked).

I don't like some of the manga to anime changes in Cyborg but I dunno if those were his fault or the writers' fault, same with New not adapting Ryoma's "martial arts are dead" backstory
>>
>>14783432
Cyborg 009 and the crossover were one time things.

Kawagoe is constantly on Anpanman.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=4570
>>
found this at my favorites:

http://pastebin.com/dyTYhmMP
>>
>>14785498
Shit, I wish Daikessen was translated, hell I would even typesett for see this done, sadly only recognize Hasegawa of the artists.
>>
>>14781000
isn't the megaman doujin a parody made by someone else whose panels are basically traced from various ishikawa manga?
>>
>>14786071
Yeah, I can't believe morons still believe the Rockman parody is actually by Ishikawa.
>>
Does anyone have the Imagawa chapters of Getter Robo Armageddon that was released before the OVA?

There were 3 and they were called Getter Robo Try To Remember.
>>
File: 1474236386800.png (21KB, 285x137px) Image search: [Google]
1474236386800.png
21KB, 285x137px
>>14786577 #
Reminder that the people on MAL are so stupid they list Go Nagai as the original creator for every Getter series and several do not list Ish Ishikawa with a creator credit and some like New Getter doesn't list him at all.
>>
So how's neo Devilman is it worth reading
>>
>>14770232
Hien
>>
>>14789259
And it's not good
>>
Other than Getter Robo and Maju Sensen, any of the translated manga is worth it? Be serious.
>>
>>14789333
Makai Tensho and Yagyu Jubei dies.
>>
File: ouch.png (780KB, 989x1400px) Image search: [Google]
ouch.png
780KB, 989x1400px
>>14787266
It's just a bunch of short stories. Half are hit and miss but they are worth a read.
>>
>>14789333
Kyomu Senki has some really cool space Buddhist shit. The translations are hella slow though
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.