[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you see tokusatsu as a dying breed? I recently got into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

Do you see tokusatsu as a dying breed?

I recently got into Kamen Rider, watching Blade currently, and watch the ZO movie. And I'm loving Ultraman Orb, even started watching Ginga. But I wonder if in 5-10 years, will we see any sort of toku. Is there a large enough audience to keep this genre going?
>>
Japs aren't going extinct that quickly, OP.
>>
>>14733842
>no Ultra at all in the picture.
Feels bad man.
>>
>>14734008
It was for Super Hero Taisen Z
>>
File: UltrvsKmnRdr.jpg (38KB, 446x692px) Image search: [Google]
UltrvsKmnRdr.jpg
38KB, 446x692px
>>14734008
Those are all Toei characters, anon. Of course there's no Ultra.
>>
they've been doing an episode a week for 40 years nigga, they aint stopping now until someone murders someone else and they find one toku related toy in their room

just like they did with kamen rider for 10 years
>>
I don't think it's gonna die but I do wonder if Shin Godzilla being so successful in Japan means the country will eventually do what confused Americans have been wanting them to do for ages: give up on "ugh, unbelievable" suits and miniatures in favor of 3DCG. That would suck.
>>
>>14734106
I really hope not. Ghost and Orb should be prime examples, that it can still look good. I also don't think they'd give up tradition. They wanted Godzilla to be a suit, but it had design issues. So it's just mokap and some puppet I believe.
>>
>>14734137
The CG in Shin Godzilla is obviously trying to replicate suitmation instead of being realistic so yeah.

I just like Japan's tradition of not caring about realism in art/entertainment, the less "believable" and cartoonier laser beams and whatnot look the better as far as I'm concerned.
>>
I don't think its going to die, but I would like Toei to try a new IP or something instead of playing safe. Having new directors for the action with new styles would help too. Gobusters had good mecha action and Sakamoto besides he is kinda repetitive but he makes good fights. But I guess kids are not aware of stuff like that or I don't know.
>>
>>14733842
>Do you see tokusatsu as a dying breed?
Shin Godzilla is going to end as either the 2nd or 3rd highest grossing Japanese film of the year.
So no.
>>
Henshin heroes a la Rider and Garo are going to be around for a while

Kaiju stuff like Ultraman and Godzilla are probably going to die sadly
>>
>>14734275
Shin Godzilla abandons traditional Toku though
>>
>>14734275
Shin Godzilla used CG though rather than practical effects.
>>
>>14734431
But Shin Godzilla has done super well. Along with Pacific Rim getting an animated, sequel, and Legendary Goji getting like 3 movies. I don't know if Kaiju stuff will die out too soon.
>>
>>14736302
That Pacific Rim show/sequel better get here quick.
>>
>>14733842
The bigger franchises will keep going for at least that long. Why wouldn't they?
>>
wish more non kamen rider, ultraman, and sentai toku was more popular
>>
>>14734446
>>14734465
It's still Tokusastsu. It blends practical effects and CGI.
>>
>>14733842
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/02/world/asia/japan-films-shed-rubber-suits-godzilla-roars.html
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/06/12/general/preserving-a-classic-japanese-art-form-tokusatsu-magic/
>>
>>14733842
The weeklies are getting more and more kiddified/toyetic.

And remember a show like Blade was not exactly considered a success when it aired.
>>
>>14737015
I wish more non-franchise tokusatsu TV shows were made, period.

Yeah, I understand it can't be like it was in the 70s with Toei alone churning out three to four shows each year but still.
>>
>>14733842
>has been going on for,arguably, 62 years
>I wonder if in 5-10 years we will see any sort of it
I´m pretty sure it will anon, even if the quality is not the best.

>Is there a large enough audience to keep this genre going?
Every time someone says a modern art genre will die it never does, yes it will keep going anon, don´t worry.
>>
>>14734059
> until someone murders someone else and they find one toku related toy in their room
What happened?

>>14734174
>The CG in Shin Godzilla is obviously trying to replicate suitmation instead of being realistic so yeah.
Havent seen that movie but if it´s true then it´s completely retarded and lacks any sort of understanding of what special effects are supposed to be.

>I just like Japan's tradition of not caring about realism in art/entertainment, the less "believable" and cartoonier laser beams and whatnot look the better as far as I'm concerned.
I like it too. But I think both realism and nonrealism are ok, it´s all on the execution. The issue with american entertainment is that they force realism in things where it doesnt belong. Realism in entertainment, as of itself, is fine.
>>
>>14734228
It´s probably not profitable enough given the shows are expensive to make, which is why they have to resort to Bandai funding even for established IPs.
>>
There has been new toku shows almost every year. It's fine.
>>
>>14739061
>It´s probably not profitable enough given the shows are expensive to make, which is why they have to resort to Bandai funding even for established IPs.

Kamen Rider and Super Sentai both make a ton of money though, in toys, and advertisements.
>>
>>14739061
'Resort to' not 'wisely choose to' considering the earnings potential and shared knowledge.

Also, I'm in Japan now and no, toku is not dying out just yet. It's still ingrained in pop culture and toku-inspired local heros/mascot are still very much a thing.
>>
>>14745047
That's good to hear. Gives me hope.
>>
>>14744934
Toku depend too much on toys these days. When people actually watched the shows, they didn't need to follow every Bandai's command
>>
>>14746247
Honestly, the only thing I have a problem with is that the shows are made around the toys and not the other way around.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.