[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The first G Gundam Blu Ray set comes out in about a week. Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

The first G Gundam Blu Ray set comes out in about a week. Does anybody know where you can order it?

Also, general G Gundam disscusion? What are you guys excited to see in gorgous HD?
>>
>>14731926
I'm excited to see dat finger snap in glorious HD. does it come with subs and dub? 3506
>>
>>14731928
I assume japanese only see it's one of those absuredly expensive sets with a fuck ton of extras and a 100 page booklet.
>>
Anyone else bugged out by all the grain being removed as seen in the trailer?
>>
>>14731934
I mean, I'm cool with that, but considering the reputation this series has I'm surprised they didn't throw English speakers a bone
>>
>>14731944
The only footage i've seen so far is the OP, which looks fucking amazing to me.

I know really poorly done grain removal can remove detail but this seemed to do it fine.
>>
>>14731960
Considering that righstuf is releasing all of Gundam, NA at least will get it in a few years. It'll be a bit of a wait I assume since Bandai fears reverse importing
>>
>>14731985
Surely we won't get the exact same set with the same extras and everything though?

Bandai wouldn't bother to spend all the time translating the behind the scene booklets, commentaries, and audio dramas, would they?
>>
>>14731993

>Bandai

No that would be Right Stuf if Bandai gives them the ok.

You should be asking who's going to pony up money to buy a premium edition in the u.s. Gundam fans are notoriously cheap.
>>
>>14732195
>You should be asking who's going to pony up money to buy a premium edition in the u.s. Gundam fans are notoriously cheap.

Maybe people would if the US BD sets actually had all the same shit the japanese ones did.
>>
>>14732195
>>14732297
It'll be hilariously pathetic if the US sets wind up having even less extras than the old R1 DVDs.
>>
KEEP THE GRAIN.
>>
>>14732433
>>14731944
>wanting shitty imperfections
>>
>>14731960
>the reputation this series has I'm surprised they didn't throw English speakers a bone
It has a cult following at best among Americans. Not really popular outside of that at all, so not really a priority for Bandai at all.
>>
File: 0095.png (841KB, 797x598px) Image search: [Google]
0095.png
841KB, 797x598px
>>14731944
All the Gundam blu-rays have been scrubbed to a degree. At least their methods are largely inoffensive, the picture's just a tad blurry. G seems super sharp though, so maybe they've upgraded their ways.

>>14732498
Actively removing detail is the shittiest imperfection of all.
>>
File: plb0.png (855KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
plb0.png
855KB, 960x720px
>>14732521
I thought that was an actual Gundam screenshot. Oops.
>>
>>14732521
>Actively removing detail is the shittiest imperfection of all.

That only happens if the grain removal itself is shit, see >>14731969

You even said it yourself:
> G seems super sharp though, so maybe they've upgraded their ways.

Wanting to keep detail is fine, but going fully luddite about it and acting like grain itself is inherently good and the lack of it is inherently bad is just as tupid and silly as the people who think CG is automatically shit in films and that practical effects are always better.
>>
>>14732530
>but going fully luddite about it and acting like grain itself is inherently good and the lack of it is inherently bad is just as tupid and silly

WATCH OUT

YOU'LL SUMMON RX
>>
>>14732530
Well the best possible scenario is to capture all possible detail from the masters, grain and all. From what we've seen of the G masters, this absolutely needs to be the case.
>>
>>14732530
I think the CG thing is an entirely different argument. A good practical effect will always look good, a CG effect will look like shit as soon as we move to a resolution standard higher than the CG was rendered at. Try watching Lord of the Rings on blu-ray and tell me how good the CG looks compared to everything else.

But back to grain, this is obviously a taste thing, but I've always liked the way it looks (assuming it's not fake grain) and find degraining to be a pointless endeavor no matter how sharp it is. And since I'm an asshole, I can see all the telltale signs of artificial sharpening, color saturation and contrast bumps etc. and I'll just spend the whole show looking for those signs and staring at them, while with grain I just accept that it's grainy and move on.
>>
>>14731926
why is finding an anime in blu ray so goddamn difficult?
even when you do find it its like 300 fucking dollars and its the super duper weeaboo edition.
why dont they make cheaper versions like fucking everyone else?
why cant i just buy a regular edition for like 30-40?
its fucking retarded how the rarities of these blu rays rival the art of war berserk figures, i just want my anime good fucking quality for once.
>>
>>14732579
There're tons of cheap anime, especially in the US. What the fuck anime are you looking for exactly? If you're looking for actual Japanese import BD's then give up now because their entire pricing market is fucked.
>>
>>14732579
You're an idiot. How do you not know about otaku BD sales figures?
>>
>>14732617
no i dont want japanese imports.
i was looking for big o, the hokuto no ken toki den ova, gurren lagann season 1, and zeta gundam.
>>
OP here

I found where the Blu Ray sets will be on sale, but I don't even know if they'll ship to a US address

https://bvc.bandaivisual.co.jp/feature/179/

Does anybody have an idea?
>>
>>14732777
Well Big O and that OVA aren't even available in the US. I'll give you Gurren, but that's only because Aniplex picked it up and their prices are always closer to Japan (but still not nearly as bad). As for Zeta Gundam, two $40 boxsets is totally reasonable.
>>
File: Untitled.png (445KB, 1171x898px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
445KB, 1171x898px
>>14732867
are you sure about that?
fucking look at this bullshit.
wtf is this? 468 MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARYDOOS for quality that isnt fucking mediocre.
theres not even a regular blu ray version in existence.
>>
>>14732908
Ah, that thing. That was just a Japanese box-set that happened to include the English audio as well, much like the Gurren set. All I can say is wait and hope someone besides Aniplex picks up Big O someday.
>>
>>14732794
bumping
>>
Do we know when the old G kits are getting reprinted? I still need to grab a Rising and Dragon.
>>
>>14733075
Fuck that, how about new ones

fucking massive MG Devil Gundam kit when
>>
>>14733081
I want a RE100 Fuunsaiki. Maybe with some new wings for MG Master Gundam that can actually form the cloak thrown in as a bonus.
>>
>>14732985
Lets not forget how we never got the blu rays of the full gunbuster ovas and only got the movies. even the original dvds are hard to find not to mention that the gunbuster 1 dvd set looks like hot trash made by a highschooler.
>>
>>14732534
I've been hovering /m/ the last few days waiting for this kind of thread.

>>14732530
Grain itself isn't inherently "good" (unless it's stylistically decided upon). It's that it is a natural part of a film image, and to remove it is inherently bad. That doesn't mean there isn't a reasonable middle ground, or practical uses for DNR. I've harped on this plenty of times, but grain can become excessive from multiple generations of film duplication, the quality of stocks can drop, or a scene could be reused/reprinted for later in the series, thus adding to the grain. Hell, some things are just a little on the excessive side (older, shittier stocks, even if they're handled well), and I'm okay with tasteful reduction of the grain.

But "tasteful" is incredibly subjective. Usually when I apply DNR, it's with a desire to tastefully reduce filesize (Outlaw Star), consistent (NGE, though not as much as I'd like), or ironically, to fix egregious DNR issues (Victory).

Sunrise has a very spotty record, especially with Gundam, when it comes to DNR. Their "best" DNR was probably used on 0079; it was a bit strong, but it was definitely a lot different than their usual DNR choice, as it was a very obvious temporal algorithm that left most of the line art alone. Contrast that to Victory's 16mm episodes, which were absolutely massacred by DNR, or CCA/F91, which were just turned into soft, smudgy messes.

If we're lucky, we'll get a similar treatment to Wing, which was essentially untouched in the grain department, though I imagine their tech has improved a bit, so the process might be somewhere inbetween Wing and Victory 16mm. It's impossible to know until it comes out.

>>14732521
We've only seen the creditless 35mm OP. Don't judge the cleanliness of the show on that particular sequence.

Anyway, I've been saving my ADC credit for this boxset, as I want to give it a good look.
>>
>>14731926
>What are you guys excited to see in gorgous HD?
rain's and domon's ass
>>
>>14733468
I miss you, video wizard man
>>
>>14733468
Hypothetically if Bunnyhat does to G, what he did to GGG how much would I have to pay you to work on G?
>>
>>14733517
What did Bunnyhat do?

1 BTC.
>>
>>14733468
That's a faulty arguement.

The original cels used to make the animation didn't have grain. Grain was an imperfection in the process of when it was made into film.

It's the equivalent of jpg artifacts if you use really bad compression with them.

For both film and grain, it's possible to remove it to try to get it closer back to how it was in source art used to make the video/the jpg, the problem is that to truly do it right it requires intensive manual cleanup, and automated processes range from either just outright making it worse, but on the other side of the spectrum (a blurry mess), or not being as good.

I've seen algorithmic grain removal on stuff that makes it look nice and clean with only a negigable loss in detail that looked great. Maybe the studio who does gundam BD's doesn't have a track record of those kind of postive results, I don't know, as i've never seen the other gundam BD's, since I litterally only care about G Gundam, but from the trailers for this they've put on youtube, G gundam's cleanup seems pretty damn good

That said, since you ARE more informed about the gundam BD's that have already come out then me, you may very well end up having well placed concerns. On that note, since you are that well informed, can you answer >>14732794?

I really wanna make sure I'm able to get the sets since I know no release group is gonna rip the extras and scan the booklets, which I want.
>>
>>14733627
>For both film and grain,

*for both jpg artfifacts and grain
>>
>>14733627
>the problem is that to truly do it right it requires intensive manual cleanup, and automated processes range from either just outright making it worse, but on the other side of the spectrum (a blurry mess), or not being as good.
Yes, and that makes grain preferable, given the context. I'm not saying grain is supposed to be on the cel (again, unless it's deliberately done, which actually did seem to be the case on at least one Bebop episode... Then you have every digital Ghibli production that has digital grain), just that it's preferable to DNR given the unnatural appearance of typically-denoised sources.

I'm also not saying it's impossible to do a solid job of it. Hollywood-level DNR can be damn impressive, though I'd still argue that one should never go totally clean. Even the best transfers exhibit at least a slight degree of grain, as to fully remove it would be to lie about the era the film was made. The same could be said for film animation.

As for your other question, can't you just order from Amazon.jp or CDJapan?
>>
>>14733650
>Yes, and that makes grain preferable, given the context.

I'd say it really depends more. For example, I have a release of the Dragon Ball dragon boxes that somebody somehow did a godly DNR job on where I put it side by side next to a raw release and compared them for a good 4 hours, and there was just straight up no non-negligible detail loss, while still being a lot less messy due to the lower amount of grain.

I sadly can't find who did the release to ask them how they did it, though I think a part of it has to do that it's 480p, and at that resolution, there may just not be that much detail to lose anyways.

Also, when I said "not being as good", I meant "not nearly as good as a manual job", not "not as good as if it wasn't degrained".

>as to fully remove it would be to lie about the era the film was made. The same could be said for film animation.
Maybe i'm just not

>As for your other question, can't you just order from Amazon.jp or CDJapan?

I don't think either of them have it. Maybe i'm just not looking hard enough though. Do you see either of them on either site?
>>
>>14733792
At least with most AVIsynth filters, SD is most certainly easier to clean convincingly.
>>
>>14733792
>>14733822
I just realized my response to "lying to the era the film was made" part got cut off.

Maybe i'm just not that big of a fan of anime/film in that way, but I couldn't care less about being honest or whatever to when it was made.

If it looks better, then that's better. I similarly don't mind a lot of the edits to the original star wars movies over the years, because as much as some of they really are bad, a lot of them are fine and do look better.

Maybe I just have shit taste, though.

Anyways, do YOU see them on amazon,.jp or CD japan, or are you just guessing?
>>
>>14733837
Yeah sorry, I'm on mobile, but here it is:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B01E8O4N2E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&qid=1473902840&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E6%AD%A6%E9%97%98%E4%BC%9DG%E3%82%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%A0
>>
>>14733875
thanks
>>
>>14733619
>What did Bunnyhat do?
Get banished to the Toku-verse.
It's been like a year and a half since Mospeada was updated, and six months since GGG was touched.
>>
do you think this will sell enough for us to at least get new god and master gundam kits?
>>
File: 1447652256996.jpg (28KB, 630x472px) Image search: [Google]
1447652256996.jpg
28KB, 630x472px
>>14737017
>do you think this will sell enough for us to at least get new god and master gundam kits?
>>
>>14731926
>>14732794
If ypu really wanna buy it, the best option for expensive shit as full anime series on BD is normally Amazon Japan.

Box 1: https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E6%AD%A6%E9%97%98%E4%BC%9DG%E3%82%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%A0-%E7%9F%B3%E7%A0%B4%E5%A4%A9%E9%A9%9A-Blu-ray-Box-%E7%AC%AC%E5%A3%B1%E5%B7%BB/dp/B01E8O4N2E/

Box 2: https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E6%AD%A6%E9%97%98%E4%BC%9DG%E3%82%AC%E3%83%B3%E3%83%80%E3%83%A0-%E7%9F%B3%E7%A0%B4%E5%A4%A9%E9%A9%9A-Blu-ray-Box-%E7%AC%AC%E5%BC%90%E5%B7%BB/dp/B01E8O4N4W/
>>
>>14737144
I mean, i'm poor as balls and really don't have the 800$ to spend on them, but if nobody is gonna rip all the extras and scan the booklets and box art and shit then I don't really have a choice
>>
>>14732195
>Gundam fans are notoriously cheap.

This. Got to save my money for gunpla.
>>
>>14735465
Hmm too bad, but honestly, there's so little urgency with Gundam these days what with RS getting through everything. There just isn't a need to rip it anymore.
>>
>>14733837
>>14737144
I'm glad you posted this. Amazon Japan is the place to go to for these things (surprised it took this long to be posted).

Better links:

1: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01E8O4N2E
2: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01E8O4N4W

>>14732195
>>14737192
I've ordered both boxes. Just wish the box art was done by someone else. The style could've been better and generic standing poses does NOT fit G Gundam at all.
>>
>>14737586
Are you gonna rip/scan the stuff I said?
>>
and yet the Tekkaman Blade BDs will forever be unripped
>>
>>14737641
Most likely.
>>
>>14737695
Sorry if it's a bit interrogative, but can you clarify a bit more on that answer?

I'd really hate to decide to not get them and for you to not end up doing those, or for you to do it in a format that's not up to my standards.

So what would it depend on if you do it or not, what exactly would you be doing, etc.

Also, if you do do it, where would I find it? Do you have an IRC bot somewhere or a name on nyaa I could look for?
>>
G Gundam is the funnest universe fight me irl faggots not online
>>
>>14737687
Good, it's a garbage show and your taste is garbage for liking it in the first place. Garbage. Just garbage.
>>
>>14738808
End thyself.
>>
File: 40998779.png (804KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
40998779.png
804KB, 1024x768px
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.