[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright, yes, it's a children's show, it's a glorified

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: US07036248-20060502-D00005.png (29KB, 1708x2389px) Image search: [Google]
US07036248-20060502-D00005.png
29KB, 1708x2389px
Alright, yes, it's a children's show, it's a glorified toy commercial, it's not MEANT to be taken seriously, I got it, I understand that.

But still, I refuse to suspend my disbelief for ANY mecha where the pilot controls purely through mechanical inputs of some joysticks.

If there isn't some kind of actual "link" between pilot and machine (be that through an actual physical link into the pilot's body, a device that translates brainwaves to commands, etc,), I just can't accept it.

Do you guys understand how complex the controls are for a single "arm" on a backhoe? And you want to try to tell me these pilots can somehow control two arms and legs with just some joysticks and pedals?

Never.
>>
File: heard u were talking shit.png (747KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
heard u were talking shit.png
747KB, 960x720px
But why does it matter? Stop making yourself artificially unhappy, it's not healthy.
>>
>>14710235
You forgot your trip Snapfit-kun.
>>
>>14710253
Not him, but it's not artificial unhappiness. It's real unhappiness. Artistic license causes us physical pain.
>>
File: Long live the King.jpg (27KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Long live the King.jpg
27KB, 512x384px
>>14710253
>artificially

How fucking dare you trivialize my pain
>>
>>14710235
>And you want to try to tell me these pilots can somehow control two arms and legs with just some joysticks and pedals?
>Never.
So I take it you've never played a video game. Because walking is usually just one joystick and aiming is the other. Grabbing the object that the crosshairs are over, picking up a weapon, opening a door, are all single button presses.
Why?
Because the people who programmed the mobile suit's OS are a lot smarter than you are. Not only are you NOT the first person to think of this problem, you don't even realize it was solved decades ago with macros.

You probably don't even realize that your own body does the same thing. Do you think about the angle of your shoulder and elbow when you reach for something, or do they automatically correct for where you want your hand to be?
Same thing.
>>
>>14710235
Why the heck are you on /m/, then?

No seriously, why?
>>
>>14710275
Macros are the worst solution, learning algorithms are superior.
>>
>>14710275

Real ground doesn't have a flat hitbox like vidya ground does.

And even when you artificially induce a flat ground, AI's still fuck up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TaYhjpOfo
>>
Was thinking about this and arrived at the conclusion that the G Gundam cockpits are really the most plausible.
>>
>>14710306

If a Fighter jumps while in the cockpit and lands backwards (relative to the Gundam) what does the Gundam do?
>>
>>14710284
>comparing 2016 tech to UC0079 tech
That's like saying that starting a car from the driver's seat is unrealistic because cars in the 1920's had a crank in front you had to turn.
Walking on uneven terrain isn't a problem for robots in the next century, you're just stupid.
>>
>>14710284
It's the future. Shit's improved since now.
>>
>>14710325
>>14710327

Yeah in the past century they said we'd have real sexbots and personal jetpacks.

Yes, the future is going to be revolutionary, but you're a fool if you think you can predict it from the present.
>>
>>14710328
Saying that something we have now is going to improve in the future is completely different from saying something we don't have will exist in the future
>>
BEST CONTROL INTERFACE FOR GIANT ROBOTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o
>>
>>14710336

Are you implying blowup dolls and jetpacks did not exist in the 20th century?
>>
>>14710328
>Yes, the future is going to be revolutionary, but you're a fool if you think you can predict it from the present.

Good job, retard. You just voided all of fucking science fiction in one sentence
>>
If it makes you feel any better, mecha are mostly completely unrealistic and infeasible from a technology standpoint as we know them today.
>>
>>14710235
To make you feel that the pilot is driving the mech.
>>
>>14710235
If you look pretty closely at the pilot seats, you'll see that there's two small thumbsticks which you can control with your cheeks.
>>
>>14710328
>you're a fool if you think you can predict it from the present.
Yeah, I'd say this prediction from 50 years ago is not at all acurate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5sbdvnvQM
>>
File: steel battalion.jpg (41KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
steel battalion.jpg
41KB, 620x465px
I know you don't like games, anon, but I thought the Steel Battalion controllers were super cool.
>>
>>14711390

Loved that thing. At least, I did, until the eject button broke and I couldn't really play anymore because I couldn't get past the third or fourth mission without dying at least once.
>>
>>14710235
Macros and microcontrollers.

Seriously, you think when you tap the gas in your car with your foot, you're actually metering fuel into the engine? No, you're potentiometrically actuating a microcontroller that does everything for you. That microcontroller and it's macros could just as easily control the swing of a mech's leg.
>>
File: Mako.jpg (161KB, 850x1202px) Image search: [Google]
Mako.jpg
161KB, 850x1202px
>>14710306

This

Mocap + Forced Feedback is the way of the future
>>
File: 1416767188473.jpg (401KB, 1264x1618px) Image search: [Google]
1416767188473.jpg
401KB, 1264x1618px
>>14711390
>>
>>14712526
Every fucking time.
>>
>>14710347

>That speed delay

Is the ability to control such a laggy machine a requirement for Robot Joxs?
>>
>>14710235
They're called robots for a reason, m8. The pilot says 'go this way' with the joystick the machine figures out how it should move it's legs based upon the terrain.

Because it's a ROBOT. Just solved your autism, no need to thank me.
>>
Meanwhile in the animated Ben 10 movie he gets into a tiny single person spacecraft fucking FILLED with tons of levers, buttons, pedals, etc.
>>
>>14717120
Granted it was meant for an amorphous being with multiple limbs
>>
>>14717102

But how is this accomplished when the world is full of obstacles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAGa2J57CZc
>>
>>14710235
>fighter pilots use joysticks and levers and switches
>mechs can't be piloted the same way
>>
>>14720602

Fighters don't normally have contact with the ground and when they do it's normally with an artificially flatten and obstacle free ground.

When they make contact with any ground besides that, it's a bad time.
>>
>>14720607
Walking is for the computers. Most complex actions would probably be hotkeyed to a couple of buttons.
>>
>>14720624
>Walking is for the computers.

And there's the catch
>>
>>14720632
It's the future, anything that doesn't make sense could be explained with one.
>>
>>14720632
>A universe where technology levels are high enough to facilitate transformable mecha
>that channel the souls of the dead
>or hold back aesteroids
>or stop fuckhuge lasers
>or fly with plasma wings
>an advanced walking algorithim is unbelievable
>>
>>14720822
yes
>>
File: 1470624034775.gif (983KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1470624034775.gif
983KB, 500x364px
>>14720852
>>
>>14720550
Simple. Just get Kira Yamato to write the operating system.
Or Tem Ray.
Or Dr J.
Or Flit Asuno.
Or any other progremmer from 100+ years into the fucking future.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.