[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't more mecha designers create their own IP so they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: geFdwBQRriI.jpg (194KB, 800x1024px) Image search: [Google]
geFdwBQRriI.jpg
194KB, 800x1024px
Why don't more mecha designers create their own IP so they have complete creative control instead of simply being a designer?

Even then, most of the designers who have done this have only created short works -- like Makoto Kobayashi with Dragon's Heaven.

I don't understand how they can be simply content with just pumping out designs for something like Gundam for 30 years.

Izubuchi has some amazing designs but they've never been used to their full potential. The Galient OVA has these extremely ornate mecha and a lot of them barely have any screen time. He started a manga series but didn't get past the first volume. Sure, he's directed things but he's not doing the designs alongside the directing so it's not the same.
>>
>>14677237
you usually only have the time to work on personal projects when you don't have gigs working on real projects
>>
Just because you can draw robots doesn't mean you write or have an eye for visual storytelling composition.
>>
File: 600x374-2016051300141.jpg (34KB, 600x374px) Image search: [Google]
600x374-2016051300141.jpg
34KB, 600x374px
>>14677237
Because they would have to follow industry trends to stay alive. For example, look at Macross.

FSS exists the way it does because Nagano's work exists in an ivory tower and he doesn't have to worry about competing with the Otaku-filled anime industry.
>>
>>14677243
>Because they would have to follow industry trends to stay alive. For example, look at Macross.

Pretty sure all the idolshit is there because Kawamori has always liked that garbage himself. Has nothing to do with trends.
>>
>>14677237
Is there a good way to read FSS or should I just go to any site that has it translated?
>>
>>14677741
If Kawamori really had things his way every work of his would be Arjuna.
>>
>>14677237
Being a designer involves designing.
Being an IP creator involves more than just mechanical designs.

I can't fault anybody for not wanting to go start a weekly/ monthly/ bimonthly publication.

Besides, Nagano doesn't have steady or heavy work as a designer anymore. He's got more time to work on his pet project.
>>
>>14677801
Wrong. Only Kawamori would make a show like AKB0048 and ruin the end of Basquash with idolshittery. The newer Macross is just icing on the cake.
>>
>>14677885
Kawamori was far more deeply involved with Arjuna than either of those two shows. Arjuna is pretty much Kawamori as an auter, quality of the show aside.
>>
>>14677237
Gothicmade
>>
>>14677750
Bakabt.

>>14677862
Yeah, but I think most people have the urge to create a story at least once in their lives. Especially if they're a talented illustrator.
>>
>>14678373
Ah all I can find on bakabt is the movie
>>
>>14678373
>>14678522
Actually never mind thank you I found it
>>
File: katoki.jpg (18KB, 269x331px) Image search: [Google]
katoki.jpg
18KB, 269x331px
>>14677237
>Why don't more mecha designers create their own IP so they have complete creative control instead of simply being a designer?

Some people are perfectly content with getting used and being paid a lot to make simple redraws.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.