[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does UC Gundam have such a hard on for engineering students?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: Inside-The-Green-Beret-11.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Inside-The-Green-Beret-11.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Why does UC Gundam have such a hard on for engineering students?

>Amuro
>Kamile
>Banagher
>Seabook

Explain this shit, /m/
>>
They're the easiest kind of teenager to justify picking up piloting a giant robot extremely quickly.
>>
>>14676971

Amuro wasn't an engineering student was he? I know he was certainly in to engineering since he built Haro, but I don't think he was a student of it - just an enthusiast.
>>
Yeah, why would they choose somebody that studies machines? They should've given us Art History students instead.
>>
File: tmp_1183-kirafashion-1551337022.jpg (55KB, 394x478px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1183-kirafashion-1551337022.jpg
55KB, 394x478px
>>14677188
>>
>>14677205
Whatever he was studying it certainly didn't look like engineering.
>>
>>14677225

He was doing some kind of computer project at least, wasn't he? I think he was looking over the OS for the Gundams for his professor without knowing what they were for.
>>
>>14677229
>>14677225
Computer Engineering focuses on the hardware aspect of computers, stuff like the circuitry and processors and all that physical space stuff.

That said, since they're the ones coming in from the hardware angle, they're the ones who end up asking "how the fuck do I get all this hardware to communicate with one another," which leads into OS design.

Or, to just cite wikipedia on the matter:
>Usual tasks involving computer engineers include writing software and firmware for embedded microcontrollers, designing VLSI chips, designing analog sensors, designing mixed signal circuit boards, and designing operating systems. Computer engineers are also suited for robotics research, which relies heavily on using digital systems to control and monitor electrical systems like motors, communications, and sensors.

At any rate his stuff is way too practical-applications oriented to confuse with, say, Computer Science, which is a discipline that spends as much time as possible theorizing (EMPHASIS ON THEORIZING) how to do something as fast and efficiently as possible.

That said rigging the OS to some incomprehensible garbage settings only he could handle, that's not too far from the bullshit you can get out of a CS major. You can let an IT guy code with little oversight, but the moment you look away from a CS coder you're going to get the most impossible to decipher code that somehow works exactly to specification but can only be maintained by that one CS guy.
>>
>>14676971
>Uso
>Judau
>Bernie/Al
>Kou
>Shiro
>engineering students

and this >>14677087
Amuro never even graduated high school, nor did Kamille. They were both of high school age, and we even saw at Kamille in high school, but neither were specific students of engineering, I'm sure. They both seemed to have an interest in mecha and engineering, stemming from their parents.
>>
>>14677257
>interest
Amuro and Kamille straight up built their own hardware prior to their series. Amuro was almost a damn NEET because he'd spend so much time on it and Kamille won several awards related mobile suits design as well as designing the Zeta himself at the very start of the series.
>>
>>14677298
Yeah, that's interest.
You could say obsessed, but it wouldn't be wholly incorrect to just say they're interested in it. Interest just doesn't say to what extent so I can understand why you would interpret my comment incorrectly.
>>
>>14676971
If you're going to give a giant robot to a teenager with no experience, you can justify their competence best with a mixture of already existing engineering or piloting knowledge. In Kamille's case he was a winner of a jr. mobile suit contest so he already had the skills to hijack a Gundam and be reasonably proficient with it.
>>
>>14677320
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
>>
>>14677257
>we even saw at Kamille in high school, but neither were specific students of engineering, I'm sure. They both seemed to have an interest in mecha and engineering, stemming from their parents.
Rewatch the first episode or two. When Kamille is arrested and being interrogated by the Titans officer, we are shown from Kamille's record that he is a champion junior MS and powered glider pilot. The Titans officer even goes so far as to say that Kamille could be a exemplary candidate for Titans recruitment if he didn't have a problem with authority.

Kou was a pilot trainee that was fresh out of the academy, but he always had a thing for engineering, especially early on in 0083 when the first couple of episodes are cementing his character type. In fact, a lot of the the early interactions that he has between himself and Nina are debating and arguing over the GP01's OS tuning and operation, and the data recordings of the GP01. In the 0083 Rebellion manga retelling which shows some of Kou's days at the academy, he is a full on mecha geek who would rather spend his free time analyzing a wrecked Zaku on the outskirts of town than go on a date with local girls.

Uso has amateur experience with engineering, I guess. He mentions having a MS simulator in the log cabin back in Kasseraelia and a library of learning material, some of which I think were MS manuals. It explains why he knows how to operate the Shokew and Victory with no training.
>>
Actually in terms of schooling: what was Amuro's and Kamille's level?

Amuro I assume dropped out of high school and became a full time officer by the time of Jaburo. (He was a full Lt. Commander by the end of CCA at only the age of 28. If he had survived, I'd imagine he would have made commander or beyond before finally leaving)

Kamille is implied to have become a brain surgeon after retiring in ZZ. He obviously had to go back and complete high school and then med school.
>>
>>14677371
>Kamille is implied to have become a brain surgeon after retiring in ZZ. He obviously had to go back and complete high school and then med school.
That comes from the UC0099 Moon Crisis manga, which needless to say isn't very official and according to some sources is set in an alternate UC timeline.
>>
>>14677371
>I'd imagine he would have made commander or beyond before finally leaving

I totally see Amuro being a military "lifer" by the time of CCA. Especially if Chan had gotten pregnant. (The EFSF apparently pays well) Plus I highly doubt the Federations would just let him walk away. Better to have him serve under a command structure than risk him going off and possibly fermenting a rebellion if he radicalized.
>>
>>14677401
If CCA had played out differently and he had survived: then I totally see him making full commander and then sitting at his Londo Bell post for a decade. (Remember, he was already in command of the entirety of MS operations)

However, after that I totally see him being put on a training base somewhere to teach new recruits. You don't let someone as good as Amuro just go to waste. He's one of the best and most experienced pilots they had. (And one that survived the OYW no less)
>>
>>14676971
I'd love to see a history student to be a gundam MC.
>>
>>14677471

> Yang Wen-Li falls in to a Gundam
> Gives it to Julian for some coffee
> Takes over the White Base analogue instead
>>
>>14677429
>>14677401
Supposedly Amuro is an MS instructor at the Cheyenne base during his time in between MSG and Zeta. Toward the time of Zeta when the Titans had become established, Amuro starts being seen as less of a ace war hero and more of a potential risk as a newtype due to the rise of the Titans and whatnot, and that's why he's relegated to a forced vacation and house arrest by the time of Zeta.
>>
>>14677478
For some tea. Yang is not a coffee man.
>>
>>14677328
That and he was smarter than his dad and had access to supposedly secure information regarding the MK II including the control schemes
>>
>>14676971
Because engineering students are fucking nerds and are into robots and shit
>>
>>14677355
>Rewatch the first episode or two. When Kamille is arrested and being interrogated by the Titans officer, we are shown from Kamille's record that he is a champion junior MS and powered glider pilot. The Titans officer even goes so far as to say that Kamille could be a exemplary candidate for Titans recruitment if he didn't have a problem with authority.

How does this have literally anything to do with what I said?

>Kou was a pilot trainee that was fresh out of the academy, but he always had a thing for engineering, especially early on in 0083 when the first couple of episodes are cementing his character type. In fact, a lot of the the early interactions that he has between himself and Nina are debating and arguing over the GP01's OS tuning and operation, and the data recordings of the GP01.

Again, interest in mecha =/= engineering student

>Uso has amateur experience with engineering, I guess. He mentions having a MS simulator in the log cabin back in Kasseraelia and a library of learning material, some of which I think were MS manuals. It explains why he knows how to operate the Shokew and Victory with no training.

Second again here -- how does knowing how to pilot MS because of his parents' MS simulators and computers have anything to do with engineering?

OP said engineering students and so far we haven't had any MCs that were specifically engineering students.
>>
>>14677612
>OP said engineering students and so far we haven't had any MCs that were specifically engineering students.
Aside from Fukuda's stu.
>>
this makes me wonder if we will ever see a side story where all the characters are engineers at Anaheim Electronics or something who's job it is the design a MS all the way from blueprint to Initial prototype
>>
>>14677803
There was IGLOO
>>
>>14677807
Yeah but in IGLOO they where mainly testing weapons not actually building them
>>
>>14677813
And? That's the part you wanna watch. You wanna watch twenty minutes segments of welding and tightening bolts?
>>
>>14677803
Yes, read the manga Developers: Before the OYW, discusses the Zaku 1 being tested and developed. Good short read.
>>
>>14676971
The animators think engineers are autistic and selfish
>>
>>14679322
Are they wrong?
>>
File: casual Federation conversation.jpg (60KB, 1264x720px) Image search: [Google]
casual Federation conversation.jpg
60KB, 1264x720px
>>14676971
If they aren't pilots there has to be some reason
other than mystical bs that they know so much about MS
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.