[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knights of Sidonia thread! Do we know any technical details

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: knights-of-sidonia-2009.jpg (306KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
knights-of-sidonia-2009.jpg
306KB, 1920x1080px
Knights of Sidonia thread!

Do we know any technical details about the Tsugumori? How tall is it anyways?
>>
Is this worth watches?
>>
>>14665416

depends on the watch.
>>
Things that happened behind the scenes in the first three episodes:

>Guys the fate of the entire human race is a stake here. If we lose the battle, mankind goes extinct. How many of our two-hundred robot guys should we send?
>Four.
>Four? Really? Four? We had eight fighting it last episode, only one of those did anything, and most of them died. I mean, we know that one guy's not useless, but shouldn't we give him more backup instead of less.
>We're not sending that guy. Send these four no-name guys who have no actual experience.
>Uhh...that sounds a little dumb, but okay. Four no-name guys with four magic monster-killing spears.
>One spear.
>Why the fuck would you only send one spear!?
>In case we lose it, we don't want to risk more than one spear.
>BUT THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE GOES EXTINCT IF WE LOSE THIS BATTLE. Besides, we already know that the enemy is capable of killing our robot guys. If we send only one spear and the guy carrying it dies, then we've basically scrapped the mission and guaranteed that we lose our magic spear. If send four and one guy dies, the other three can complete the mission and retrieve the other spear.
>Nope, one spear.
>Alright, fine, whatever. Well, prep our shipboard super-weapon that can immobilize the monster for literally days, we'll shoot it before we scramble or robots and-
>No, no shipboard super-weapons.
>WHY THE FUCK NOT!?
>It's not suitably dramatic. We have to give these no-names the maximum possible odds of getting killed, and hold our weapons that can easily deal with this situation in reserve for later, when it will make a cooler reveal.
>But we could easily kill this monster with no losses!
>No, we're a ragtag band of survivors on the edge, trying to make due with what we have. Then, later, when an even bigger threat shows up, we'll reveal that we could easily have beaten this one if we hadn't been such dipshits about it.
>>
shit ending
>>
I only saw the Sidonia anime, but I was really taken by the aesthetic and decided to start reading the manga a bit, I didn't finish but I started dabling in some of nihei's other manga like biomega, blame!, and this cool one-shot he did where it was like sidonia, but they used biological mecha presumably created from the gauna.

Nihei doesn't seem to care much for a deep story, but I think he REALLY succeeds when it comes to world building.
His stories at the core have such basic premises, but his imagination and art alone take them to higher levels.
I also like how it's a bit implied that all his works take place in the same universe, it adds a bit ofystery and grandeur to them.

>>14665101
I really liked how utilitarian the guardian's seemed, they always had these built in features that would usually appear in the form of a backpack or some others add-on.
>>
>interesting concept and setting that deals with themes like transhumanism
>decent enough beginning
>almost immediately comes to a screeching halt for SoL harem shenanigans
>never quite manages to pick the pace back up
>shit ending

Sidonia is a disappointing waste of potential
>>
Interview: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2016-08-26/knights-of-sidonia-mangaka-tsutomu-nihei/.105800
>>
I wonder why I like the Sidonia ending so much and lots of people hate it...

>inb4 shit taste
>>
File: End of Sidonia.png (2MB, 2103x3000px) Image search: [Google]
End of Sidonia.png
2MB, 2103x3000px
>>14665549
>>
File: image.png (188KB, 500x278px)
image.png
188KB, 500x278px
>>14666261
>>
>>14666255

To me, it felt like a cop out. Tsumugi sacrifices herself, but it's okay because they just happen to have a copy of her consciousness and just happen to have a perfectly human-looking Gauna hybrid that looks like Nagate's first dead girlfriend they can use.

Also, the threat of the Gauna is somehow completely eliminated and everyone lives happily ever after despite the fact that every indication over the course of the series says they are still a potential threat and exist throughout space.

The ending reeks of Nihei getting fed up and bored, just trying to find a way to end it as quickly as possible.
>>
>>14665982
>I also like how it's a bit implied that all his works take place in the same universe
they don't
>>
>>14666418
I think my favorite part is the "Oh no the planet has been irreparably contaminated by the Guana and will never be fit to live on. We've won the war but lost the thing we were fighting for." Literally less than a dozen pages of other stuff later. "Everyone was worried about living on the contaminated planet but Tsumugi said it would be fine so we all just went with it and everyone is living happily ever fucking after."
>>
>>14666592
Well the sidonia and that other Gauna short with bio-mecha are definitely in the same universe and I forgot which one but gauna were either mentioned or briefly appeared in Biomega or Blame!
>>
>>14666724
Nihei just likes to reuse things like Toha Heavy Industries, they do not take place in the same universe. Alternate universes maybe.

The fate of Earth in Blame, Biomega, and Sidonia even have different outcomes.
>>
File: ahhhhh.gif (208KB, 312x322px) Image search: [Google]
ahhhhh.gif
208KB, 312x322px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO0JsSYTFzQ HYPE!
>>
File: 1459848013153.jpg (142KB, 1280x720px)
1459848013153.jpg
142KB, 1280x720px
>>14666166
>Sidonia is a disappointing waste of potential
This desu.

It was half proper sci-fi and half shonen-wannabe in the first few volumes, then it went full shonen and sort of forgot most of the sci-fi themes.

I wish the best for Nihei, but he can do better.
I am quietly optimistic for The Land of Dolls though, if rumors are true that it'll be a serial..
>>
>>14666945
>Killy
>Human

what?
>>
>>14666806

I believe Abara and Sidonia are vaguely implied to be connected.

NOiSE is a confirmed prequel to Blame! as well.
>>
To be honest I'm more happy to see that the "master's edition" manga are finally being translated considering how long the original books have been out of print.

>>14667278
Spoilers.
>>
>>14666418
its not eliminated man, they defeated that cluster, not all gauna, the universe is vaste, that is the point of the Sidonia as a spaceship per se.

They had a time of peace, then when gaunas arrive they must fight, all of them have normal lives and fight when there are gauna, but they do not live to kill gauna, this for me is pretty cool.

Also I like this new Nihei a lot more, I really enjoy and love sidonia no kishi way more than blame! or biomega, he is being more commercial but he still can make good stories with cool art.

His interview is pretty nice to see how he evolves as an artists who does art for others and not for himself.
>>
>>14666998
>I am quietly optimistic for The Land of Dolls
What's this? I tried searching for it but found nothing,is it gonna be another /m/echa work like Sidonia or more of his weird hard-sci-fi/cyberpunk stuff?
>>
>>14665101
I loved how "self contained" it was.

Like, the people at Sidonia just wanted to live, so they got rid of their problems and continued living. They didn't want to exerminate all Gauna or dunno save the world or some shit, they just wanted to live in Sidonia.
>>
>>14667278
He doesn't know that you sperg
>>
>>14667278

It wasn't revealed that Killy -wasn't- human until later on in the manga.

Then again, the definition of "human" is pretty loose as far as Blame! is concerned.
>>
I hope I can get this resin model of Tsumugi
>>
>>14665101
Just finished the anime, haven't read the manga.

Really went downhill in the second season with the harem crap and less cool sci-fi stuff. Also the stuff with the council and Oriachi didn't seem to go anywhere, I'm guessing it does in the manga.

What other series do 'hard' scifi stuff? I know there's Gunbuster and Freedom (too many bikes).
>>
>>14675602
All of Nihei's other works
Planetes
Patlabor (although it doesn't really have the whole sci-fi aesthetic)
Ghost in the Shell
Gundam Seed Stargazer has a bit of it
Macross Plus
Infinite Ryvius
Appleseed
>>
>>14675602

Ochiai doesn't really go anywhere in the manga either, nor does the council.
>>
>>14665416
The first season is definitely awesome; For a disappointment, read the manga
>>
>>14671706
plz do not hotglue
>>
>>14666945
>adding bunch of kids as audience surrogate
There goes my chance to witness "walking down the giant building" kinography.
>>
File: 1469518481315.png (40KB, 761x897px) Image search: [Google]
1469518481315.png
40KB, 761x897px
>>14666945
>"I am Killy and a human"
>not "I am Killy and I am searching for Net terminal genes"
>>
>>14679694
The kids were in the manga as well. They are the ones Killy fight together with against that big thing and Sanakan
>>
>>14680131
Yes and never looked this moe.
>>
If only Nihei had made something cool, like Shingeki no Titan
>>
>>14680529
Changed it for accessibility and figma bucks. I dont mind
>>
>>14680731
are u a girl???
>>
>>14665982
>but I think he REALLY succeeds when it comes to world building.

eh, Nihei has some cool ideas for world building but he always ends up inserting some dumb ideas that ultimately ruin them. He needs an editor badly.
>>
Nihei needs to work with someone who can write a story for him, then let him draw it in pretty buildings
>>
>>14665982
>but I think he REALLY succeeds when it comes to world building.
Not really, Sidonia has next to no real personality especially without the insert pages of locations. We know nothing of the Gauna, the kabi and a lot of elements just get tied up quick so he doesn't have to deal with them any more. He isn't even very good at creating a feeling with the world, there is meant to be the oppressive and worried atmosphere as they are the last hope under threat ruled essentially by a dictator. But there are happy little parks, beach houses and submarine aquariums. The world just has whatever he feels like

He is good at ideas but does fuck all with them and at best leaves it so blank you can make up your own ideas about it
>>
>>14677404
>Ochiai doesn't really go anywhere

That is not really true.
He could have won.
>>
>>14683474
>We know nothing of the Gauna, the kabi and a lot of elements just get tied up quick so he doesn't have to deal with them any more

In my case it's probably something to do with personal taste, but I liked that the gauna a were an ambiguous foe.
We don't really know where they come from or what they really are, or if they even have hostile intent and I thought these elements made them seem like a force of nature rather than an antagonist.
Also I thought the Kabi were made from gain a corpses or something like that?
But I agree that some events were way too convenient and others were left unexplained.
But I liked some of the unexplained content because it allows you to guess at what it could be by using the clues and the in-world evidence presented to you.

>He isn't even very good at creating a feeling with the world, there is meant to be the oppressive and worried atmosphere as they are the last hope under threat ruled essentially by a dictator.

I never got the impression that sidonia was going to be that dark in tone.
I think having the gauna threat juxtaposed with daily human life was a good thing to have and showed that people were at least holding on to traditions and vestiges of peace despite their situation.
I think human beings would probably want to hold on to those peaceful and superficial moments as long as they could in a realistic scenario.
Always being on high alert would stress too many people out and definitely have long lasting effects on their psyches.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.