[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So i've been wondering, what language do the Sides speak?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: my Sides.jpg (17KB, 640x370px) Image search: [Google]
my Sides.jpg
17KB, 640x370px
So i've been wondering, what language do the Sides speak? Given the various ethnicities of gundam characters that come or live in the various sides i wonder how that works. Most likely the universal language is english going by MS monitors but how does it really work? Are the sides divided by earth nationalities? In colonies that are "multicultural" do they speak english or the language of the nation that that colony belongs to? Do people from the colonies have some kind of patriotism to their home? Do they have the same culture as the nation that that colony belongs to?

>inb4 my soul is bound by gravity
Zeeks please dont crush the thread
>>
Considering most of the population lives in the colonies, I doubt there's much connection to the earth nations whatsoever.
>>
>>14641402
As a whole the sides are ruled by the EF but since they are devided into groups belonging to various earth nations, i think, i wonder if any officials influence the colony with their own culture and what follows.
We can go back to the start and the very first colonists. Would they not carry and implement the culture and tradition of their homeland and pass it down their children?
>>
They all speak Japanese.
English in the dubs.
>>
I always assumed they learned english because of the international trade language and all
>>
>>14642426
Considering the signs are always in Engrish, I assume it's the de facto language of all colonies. However I suspect that some have large populations of specific cultures, leading to Hong Kong-like colonies. So short answer is English, long answer is like any of the moat major cities on Earth you'll have English everywhere even if people choose to speak other languages. Zeeks have a specific accent too, probably like most real-life colonies developed their own accents.
>>
>>14641392
The official language is a modified form of English, what some today predict under the name of "Panglish", but which in Gundam we could call "UCnglish" or "Universal creole". Everyone but for Earthnoids still living on the fringes and small insular communities in the colonies speaks UCnglish, and this isn't only due to the natural evolution of language, but also imposed onto human society by the Earth Federation, as part of their policy of uniting the human race and erasing old distinctions between nations and cultures.

The biggest non-English influences are Spanish and Portuguese, as a result of Latin America's domination over Federation politics. Japanese is also a significant influence. Some consider UCnglish a pidgin. To a modern English-speaker, written UCnglish has bizarre changes in spelling and rules of grammar and capitalization, with spellings like "DANGAR" and sentences like "Captain Quattro, he is a CHAR". But to a UCnglish-speaker, these writings look perfectly normal and professional.

There is no evidence that colonies are divided by nationality. On Earth, different regions still have different accents when speaking UCnglish, and the colonies developed their own unique accents due to relative isolation. A Zeon accent is the only one mentioned in the show that I'm aware of.
>>
According to the novel version of Gundam Unicorn, English is the main language for Earth and all the colonies.
>>
>>14646112
>Latin America's domination over Federation politics
Why Latin America? Aren't those regions historically poor and lagging behind other nations? All of the politicians we've seen are Caucasian. Besides, the Federaton assembly was based in Dakar, wasn't iit?
>>
>>14648779
Yeah but the flag is heavily based on Brazil's, which is currently a rising power in the contemporary world.
>>
>>14648779
I can't dish out any canonical sources myself, but it seems like common knowledge among Simmons-level fans that Latin American dominance of the Federation is well-established backstory.

It fits with a bunch of First Gundam characters having Latin heritage. Kai is Puerto Rican, Jose is supposed to be a Latin name, and while I thought Amuro was only Japanese and Canadian or American, I thought I read somewhere that Amuro was part Hispanic as well, but take that with a grain of salt. Of course, a large Latin-origin population doesn't reflect Latin political dominance, but I think it shows where their minds were when world-building. Then there's Jaburo being located in South America, and in Unicorn, the first Federation Prime Minister has the Spanish name Ricardo Marcenas. Then there's the flag like >>14649182 mentions.

If this is somehow just a persistent myth, then I'm ready to stand corrected.

And my whole post was half-serious, half-joking, by the way.
>>
>>14649669
>Kai is Puerto Rican
That's debatable. Kai Shiden is a Japanese name, and his appearance doesn't suggest a Latin American origin.

>Then there's Jaburo being located in South America
It's just a military base, that shouldn't have any bearing on politics. After the OYW, other major EFF command centres are shown such as Dublin, Ireland and Cheyenne base in America.

>the first Federation Prime Minister has the Spanish name Ricardo Marcenas
Yeah but despite that, Riddhe has blue eyes and blonde hair. His father is named Ronan, which is an Irish name. I don't want to place much faith in Gundam Wiki, but it claims Ricardo was born in America.
>>
>>14641392
I suppose that after the establishing of EF there was an international official language (probably english) and the languages of informal interaction (the rest of the languages).
The culture is pretty much the same everywhere in the world, so we can't say anything about colonies being multicultural.
>>14642476
>Hong Kong-like colonies
Don't forget about resort colonies like Texas at Side 5.
>>
>>14649697
>That's debatable.
in his bio on his figure literally the first two words are "Puerto Rico"
he's probably like most "Puerto Ricans" where his parents/grandparents are actually from the island and he's born wherever, but with space in place of NY/FL

As for language I don't have source handy but I'm pretty sure they're "really" speaking English, like how in Lord of the Rings it's really in Middle-Earth-ese and Tolkien "translated" it to English.
>>
>>14641450
>>14642426
Tomino said years ago that everyone speaks English canonically.
>>
Everyone speaks English but there is apparently a Zeon "accent" that can give them away, as seen in the original series and The Origin.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.