[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Batman and Rei Ayanami go on roboting in Ultra Seven

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: big o.jpg (151KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
big o.jpg
151KB, 1920x1080px
>Batman and Rei Ayanami go on roboting in Ultra Seven stories

10/10 show
>>
>>14640530

Dorothy is so much better than Rei though.

Its really clear that Dorothy is actually a very opinionated and snarky person, its just that the limitations of her robot body mean that she is always stuck with the same expression and tone of voice. Consequently, everything she does is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>14640539
Okay, let me rework this:

>Garo Makai no Hana with a giant robot
>>
>>14640539
That part where Roger and Dorothy met the Archetype made the series for me, among other moments. Roger was struck with some unknown fear as he delves into the underground. Dorothy at first seems unfazed but when the Archetype shows up she suddenly breaks her robotic tone, scared and confused. That set the tone for the other mystery-oriented episodes for me.
>>
File: 51XR9NNJX5L.jpg (38KB, 331x475px) Image search: [Google]
51XR9NNJX5L.jpg
38KB, 331x475px
>>14640530

I loved this show back when it aired on Toonami, but having re-watched it relatively recently, I... have to respectfully disagree.

The pacing of the episodes is so hit-and-miss, with it often seeming like entire portions of them were cut for time. With any show trying to play an investigative angle, the setup and gradual reveal is what makes it. With the Big O, it all too often seems as though the mystery portion gets shoved aside so they can fit a giant robot battle in at the end.

Now, I love the fights in the Big O; I think it's the one series where it actually feels like the mecha and monsters are genuinely titantic. Every movement has tremendous weight behind it--you FEEL the impact of the blows they're raining on each other, but they quickly become formulaic. You know exactly how each fight is going to play out: monster is revealed; Roger spends several minutes summoning Big O; Roger fights the thing for a minute before it gains the upper hand; Roger comes up with some tactic or debuts a new weapon which defeats the monster. End episode.

This wouldn't be so bad, except nearly every episode follows this formula. They try to sprinkle some intrigue here and there, but they've so little screentime to devote to it that it hardly gets a chance to blossom before it has to make way for the giant robot fights. Far better it would have been, I think, if they'd split some episodes up and cut others; the first couple of episodes work pretty well specifically because they divide its plot between the two of them.

And all of this is before we get into the second season, which, I don't think I need mention, squanders pretty much the entire potential of the series.
>>
File: big entrance.gif (4MB, 321x239px) Image search: [Google]
big entrance.gif
4MB, 321x239px
>>14640530
Loved it. It's definitely on the Must-Watch list for mecha. The thing I liked the most was that it was sort of a fusion of "real robot" and 'super robot" shows. Or a super robot show that got the grim-dark gritty treatment a la Nolan's Batman trilogy.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.