[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mecha are so pointless. You could replace them with tanks/airplanes/vehicles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: mecha-narutos-bijuu-dama-cannon1.jpg (156KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
mecha-narutos-bijuu-dama-cannon1.jpg
156KB, 1366x768px
Mecha are so pointless. You could replace them with tanks/airplanes/vehicles or superpowers in any setting and literally nothing changes.

Name a work that wouldn't function without mecha. Protip: you can't
>>
>>14637831
Naruto. Mecha-Naruto is key to the setting.
>>
>>14637831
Evangelion.

Now, let's argue whether or not biological gigantic bipeds strapped with electronics count as mecha.
>>
>>14637831
Tanks/airplanes/vehicles or superpowers are so pointless. You could replace them with mecha in any setting and literally nothing changes.

Name a work that wouldn't function without tanks/airplanes/vehicles or superpowers. Protip: you can't
>>
>>14637843
Watchmen, simply because the human drama wouldn't exist if you replaced the heroes.
>>
>>14637848
>human "drama"
>literally the same angsty shit you get in the average gundumb series

Nah, your precious gwafick novel isn't the holy grail of anything except pretentious trash. Remove the heroes' powers and put them in robots or mecha power-suits. Same story.
>>
Is this the shitposting general?
>>
>>14637840

Came here to post this.
>>
BACK TO MEXICO PEDRO BACK TO MEXICO PEDRO BACK TO MEXICO PEDRO BACK TO MEXICO PEDRO BACK TO MEXICO PEDRO BACK TO MEXICO PEDRO BACK TO MEXICO PEDRO BACK TO MEXICO PEDRO
>>
Dai-Guard. Tanks/airplanes/vehicles can't harm the Heterodyne and the main robot being a big goofy robot was the linchpin of the show.
>>
>>14637858
the drama is only interesting because the characters that are troubled are (sometimes) legitimately super-powered.

in your analog you'd have to make the mecha troubled.

Eva I guess? Black Magic maybe?
>>
>>14637831
Ideon
>>
>>14637895
But space autism is a legitimate super power.
>>
Why the fuck would I watch anime about some tank when real ones are more interesting and there's a damn museum I can go see them at?

Also patlabor.
>>
>>14637831
But Gundam has tanks, superpowers, AND mecha.
>>
File: slide-tankpolice.jpg (89KB, 960x380px) Image search: [Google]
slide-tankpolice.jpg
89KB, 960x380px
>>14637906
does your museum have cat girls?
>>
>>14637831
what an original thought from an original poster
>>
>>14637831
Sasuga, newfag-chan

You probably think your retarded /k/ek thread #4567 is funny / original, but woops lol, it's neither. Do you honestly think anyone gives a shit?

There's a thing called suspension of disbelief. It's present in pretty much all media, you eat that shit up all the time. You probably wank over Jason Borne or some shit, meanwhile it's just as impractical and unrealistic as anything else.

The OP pic from fucking naruto too
Why don't you fuck off and watch/read some mecha before you shit up the board. If you did, maybe your inflexible brick of an imagination would be able to come up with a plausible justification for mecha.
>>
>>14637831
Go back to /k/.
>>
>>14637933
>/k/ likes Bourne

Found the retard.
>>
>>14637831
I can't, and I have you agree with you. but I really like mechas though...what can I do? :(
>>
>>14638406
Kill yourself.
>>
>>14638017
>implying anyone is retarded for not knowing what /k/ likes
/k/ is a bunch of fatass, autistic neckbeards who jack off to guns and military hardware. Please forgive us for being ignorant of their taste in art.
>>
>>14638419
And I'm sure /k/ would be the best place to ask how to do so, as I'm sure it's very typical for you lonely, pathetic gun fanatics to place the barrel in your mouth and fantasize about pulling the trigger.
>>
>>14638419
ok, good bye /m :**(
>>
File: Dance.webm (186KB, 264x846px) Image search: [Google]
Dance.webm
186KB, 264x846px
>>14638432
/r9k/ would probably be better. If you put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger you're going to roll around for hours in intense pain as you bleed out.
>>
>>14637831
Space and low gravity planets would make use of it a lot to save resources by using construction equipment base models and converting them into makeshift military vehicles. There is a possibility for this happening. Exosuit, PA, or drones.

Mountain climbing multipedal tanks. The niche writes itself.
>>
>>14638017
>picks on a random detail
found the sperg

Who cares what "/k/" likes? This is /m/
>>
>>14637831
The real reason for the popularity of mecha is, from a storytelling point of view, best explained by the term 'mobile suit'. It's not a vehicle that contains the character(s), it's a suit of armor that acts as an extension of themselves. A pilot stepping into the cockpit of a mech is the same as a magical girl transforming; they change form and become something more powerful. A vehicle, such as a tank, is not such an extension of its operator(s), but rather consumes them. It's a tool, a piece of equipment, much like a sword or a tennis racket. Thus, while they may seem to share many features, from a storytelling point of view they are two very different things.
>>
>>14638575
Insightful answer.

It's a way of getting the best of both worlds. You have the intimacy of hand-to-hand combat, but the firepower and advanced technology you can't get with an unarmed human.

I have ideas for mecha shows that can only involve mecha and not replace them with any other vehicle, but I'm not sure such a show exists yet. For example, the humanoid shape of a mecha could serve a psychological, public-relations purpose, reminding civilians and combatants that there's a warm-blooded human inside the weapon. Or maybe the function of the mecha requires the ultra-fine precision of the human hand, with responsive feedback from the fingers, although I guess that could be done with countless thin mechanical tentacles.
>>
File: Robot_Jox_screenshot.jpg (456KB, 1900x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Robot_Jox_screenshot.jpg
456KB, 1900x1046px
>>14638597
I like this idea.
Might be a world where Mechs were invented out of ideology as much as providing tools of war, where the major superpowers finally have an outlet to square things out publicly and in a pre-determined manner instead of just relying on backroom deals and espionage that could risk an all out nuclear war in a mutual destruction world if they go wrong. The Mechs and their styles would be an extension of the pilots personalities as much as their country's ideals and technological prowess, trained and elected into their positions trough various means depending on their country of origin, and there would be this cult of personality tied to them that might extend across boarders. There'd be honor among pilots, and the intentional murder of another when there's otherwise a chance of survival would be frowned upon, even given the inescapable fatality rate.
>>
>>14637895
>in your analog you'd have to make the mecha troubled.
No, the pilots are troubled
>>
>>14638432
>>14638449
fun fact, while /we can all agree that guns are pretty effective to kys with if you know where to aim, /k/ is strongly against using firearms for suicide because doing so would add to the negative statistics towards gun rights and ownership.

also
>lonely, pathetic gun fanatics
Come on now, OP is probably some airsoft tard thinking he's a badass tactical oper8tor while watching naruto.
>>
File: 1470634241697.png (751KB, 565x510px) Image search: [Google]
1470634241697.png
751KB, 565x510px
>>14638575
>>14638597

Combat between crew-operated vehicles like tanks or ships in fiction are inherently different from the small, often times squadron-based if not 1-on-1 duels that can happen with mecha.

But you have to remember the same can also be done with fighter planes. See Ace Combat or certain Macross scenes if you want good examples. Sure, there might not be melee combat, but dogfighting so close your gun is all you have to work with is just as if not more exciting, at least to me. The fact that planes have to keep on moving in the air, unable to stay put or stall out, also forces the action to be swift and exhilarating.
>>
File: answer.jpg (50KB, 633x479px) Image search: [Google]
answer.jpg
50KB, 633x479px
Can we make this permanently appear in the background of this board?
>>
>>14639605
Planes can't punch other planes though
>>
>>14639623
NO, because understanding is not entertaining.
>>
Patlabor. A tank can't reach out and grab something, it can't control a crowd or make an arrest the same way a robot can.
>>
>>14638841
Not to be dismissive, but that's, literally, G Gundam.
>>
>>14637831
tanks/planes/vehicles are mecha
>>
>>14637831
>Mecha are so pointless.

It shows the advanced ans super science on possess.

>Name a work that wouldn't function without mecha.

Those kaiju, aliens and Zeeks ain't going to get defeated by themselves.

Back to your board, /k/ockmongler.
>>
>>14637858
Rekt
>>
I'd like to talk about Titanfall.
The Titans are small and mobile enough for urban combat / drop deployment. In universe tanks rekt Titans in open combat but Titans are more agile and can flank better.
>>
>>14637831
Mecha are cooler, tanks are glorified metal matchboxes with a gun strapped in top, airplanes are cool but there's only so much they can do.

Mecha can transform into all that stuff, loose limbs and keep fighting, have a lot of cool made up lore and stuff.

If you're making an argument that reality is more practical than fiction, you're missing the point
>>
File: 1469633402124.jpg (832KB, 2522x3441px) Image search: [Google]
1469633402124.jpg
832KB, 2522x3441px
>>14637831
Mechas are just weapons, of course you can replace them with tanks, airplaines, vehicles, superpowers, powered armors or even machineguns in any settings. Gundam could be exactly the same if Amuro was just a soldier in an elite platoon killing spacenoids, the pilot of an airplane in WW2, or even a teenager finding that he have magical powers. It's a common trope for fiction to give the protagonist something special and rather unique to improve his own condition.

But that doesn't make mecha pointless at all, now the genre has grow on it's own. We're at a point where you may find more drawings, designs or stories involving mechas than real armored vehicles or warplanes. The justification of using mechas rather than realistic vehicles is the same as having a sci-fi story rather than fantasy, it's all about the feel and the universe you want your story to take place in, for whatever reason. Mechas have something really appealing to people probably because they're humanoid version of weapons, and at the same time the complexity behind the idea of a mecha is impressive.
>>
File: 1394279726928.png (262KB, 381x424px) Image search: [Google]
1394279726928.png
262KB, 381x424px
>>14640498
>>14637858
>precious
>rekt

Uh , well it was just the first superhero+drama combo I could think of off the top of my head besides the forced drama in the new hollywood batman movies; I have no real stake in the franchise and saw the movie once, in theatres, as a social event with friends. It was okay. I didn't even read the graphic novels.

You probably put more passion in these replies than I did in watching the movie.

>>14639198
Ok, since straight comparisons are cool, what's the pilot equivalent on the other side? The super-heroes motivations and psyche? Their government? Religion? Culture?
>>
>>14641556
list of stuff that would change:

>he wouldn't be able to push back a meteor with plane/tank
>char would have gotten away in his escape pod
macross jets would just be jets

mech suits in any form are like adventure bikes, they're not great at any one thing but could do them all well enough.

tank/plane/warship are all too contained to one role.
SUCK MY DICK MECHA ARE COOL.
>>
>>14641556
>The justification of using mechas rather than realistic vehicles is the same as having a sci-fi story rather than fantasy, it's all about the feel and the universe you want your story to take place in, for whatever reason.
This is why we have a distinction between sci-fi and space opera. It's fine for sci-fi elements to be window dressing in space opera, but the sci-fi genre is reserved for works in which the sci-fi aspect facilitates the story in an integral way.

For example, time travel. There's no non-SF/non-fantasy analog to time travel. I guess you could reach far and say that something like a story where a student transfers to another school and tries not to make the same mistakes contains the same core as a time travel story, but you can see why that's a reach.
>>
Gundam Build Fighters.

Checkmate, asshole.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.