[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, I'm kinda an outsider who's wanting to make an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: mecha-godzilla.jpg (50KB, 799x509px) Image search: [Google]
mecha-godzilla.jpg
50KB, 799x509px
Hey, I'm kinda an outsider who's wanting to make an open-source mecha-pastiche setting organized along the lines of "What if Shogun Warriors were revived but with original pastiche-characters instead of directly licensing anime robots," and I wanted to ask, what would you all say the iconic "villain mecha" are in media, in particular mecha anime?

Not mecha villains mind you, but specificaly mecha that are or are controlled by villains. The list I currently know of is as follows:
>Char's Red Zaku
>Devil Gundam
>The various Metal Gears
>Pretty much any of the Decepticon Combiners or City-bots
>The Mass-Produced EVAs
>Big Duo from The Big O
>The Regis Mark V from Megas XLR
>Pic related

Apologies if I'm dumb about the whole thing, I'm new to this fandom, but what villainously-associated mechs would you say are most iconic amongst the mecha fandom? Would you say any of my examples might not be considered iconic enough?
>>
>>14627981
I feel like citybots are more of an autobot than decepticon thing. Yeah I know trypticon and scorponok, but honestly when you say citybot the first things that come to mind are metroplex and fort max
>>
>>14627981
Better question: How do you fix Toho Kingdom?
>>
>>14627981
>I'm new to this fandom,

I'm not trying to shit on you or anything but if you're new to mecha I'd wait until you're more knowledgeable before starting a project inspired by it. You're just bound to get guys waiting to tear you a new asshole because they have no other use for the amount of mecha trivia they know.
>>
>>14628002
True, but thing is, there's always time to learn, and while mecha heroes and the basic iconic touchstones ones are pretty well-spread-out; such as Tetsujin-28, Mazinger Z, Ideon, Sentai and their inspiration via Spider Man's mech Leopaldon, Getter Robo, the various Gundam incarnations, the various Brave series, Eva, Gurenn Lagann, The Big O, ectcetera, it's much harder to find info on the villainous mecha specifically, presumably for the same reason the villains infamously don't get many toys on those shows.

Heck, even the iconic non-specifically-mecha villains of those shows are more prominent/easier to look up than the villain-mecha of those series; IE Dr. Hell, the Dinosaur Empire; the Angels; ect. Hence why I'm trying to ask the major fans; who tend to at least know the "iconics"

>>14627996
My friend in the kaiju fandom would probably respond to that with several minutes of bitter laughter, followed by a pause, then saying "Wait, you're serious?!" Followed by even more; harder bitter laughter.
>>
>>14627981
>>14628002

Authenticity and sincerity are a big thing in a mecha project, and if you pull a Giga-Robo, it's like sharks smelling blood in the water.

So if you really rub in the whole Shogun Warriors thing, it makes it worse. The other thing is that Shogun Warriors isn't that well-remembered outside of a niche /co/ thing, and as but a footnote here on /m/. Because the source material behind Shogun Warriors is readily available, so there's no incentive to even revisit that Marvel psuedo-adaptation.
>>
>>14627981
From the looks of things, are you from /tg/?
>>
>>14628145
>it's much harder to find info on the villainous mecha specifically

Because they were never intended to be sellable at all.
>>
>>14628493
Well, I was thinking more in terms of the general idea of toyetically taking a bunch of mechs from wildly different series (Or stand-ins for them) and putting them into a single setting, in a way they didn't bother to capitalize on in the 70s, and for the love of god I will make sure to do my research in terms of both specific and general pastiche. The tone'd accomodate both Real and Super Robots, but lean more towards the latter.

The idea of it is as a toyetic "sandbox" for authors to work in; and ideally add their most major contributions under A CC-BY license (Like I plan to put for the main outline). I'm really big into Open Source Characters as a concept, because I want to create characters that belong to everyone, that are kept alive by fan love and that nobody can take away (Spurred by the way Konami and Microsoft-buying-Rare did just that sort of taking)

From what I can find, Giga-Robo seems like it is a very surface-level take on the genre, but is there anything specific they managed to super-fuck-up in /m/'s eyes?

>>14628495
Well, mostly a lurker who fails to Get Shit Done, but yeah.

>>14628506
You mean because they're too big, which I've seen a few times, or too abstract? Elablorate, because now I'm curious.
>>
>>14628577
>in a way they didn't bother to capitalize on in the 70s

They had several team-up movies in the 70s.

This is how much you don't know.
>>
>>14628577
>villain robots

Read Okawara's interview. Villain robots essentially are just filler or simply exist as a means to promote the titular robot more in the toys. The way villain robots are designed and colored are deliberate, knowing that next to nobody will pick them out from a toyshelf of competing robot designs, much more buy and take one home.

Even today, Toei's designs for villain characters and monsters end up being cheaply designed and priced on toy shelves. Bandai doesn't invest in giving them treatment like the titular characters/heroes. Most of the time, say, Kamen Rider monster figures, are static vinyl figures priced very cheaply, but somewhat in scale with the articulated action figures of the heroes.
>>
>>14629854
Well, I was talking about in the US version since we're so depressingly recalcitrant about capitalizing on the full possibility of crossovers, I didn't know about the Japanese ones but I'd presume those'd probably be A Thing, especially given the links between Go Nagai and Getter Robo and Mazinger Z and modern stuff like Super Robot Wars.

>>14629861
So, would a better idea be to design mechs for the iconic bad guys that don't have them or making specific pastiches of general evil-mecha-of-the-week "types" (IE like that hate-absorbing-metal from GaoGaiGar or the Mechanical Beasts from Mazinger or the more robotic lines of Sentai villains)?

Also, why is it that they do that with villains? I've heard it's because villains have historically not sold well, but why is that anyway? I find that odd, considering that in US toylines the villains are usually the coolest figures.
>>
>>14630028
Because 50 episodes of one-off single use designs.

And for toy manufacturing, it's all about economies of scale, and the cost to tool and manufacture something.

It's incredibly rare to have recurring villain designs in super robot shows.

>US toylines

From the sheer breadth of a toyline for a single franchise, it comes off to me as "just crank out the toys and see what sticks.". Of course, that mentality hasn't exactly helped Hasbro or Mattel now, has it?

>all those shelfwarmers and pegwarmers
>muh ghostbusters
>muh Finns and Reys

When you invest that much into something that goes down the drain more often than not, you just don't bother trying to make them sellable.

And one more: re-read the thing I said about "completing designs on a toy shelf".
>>
>>14630028
The better idea is to not copy the mentality behind 80s toylines.

in b4 that failed kickstarter with those huge recolored action figures
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
To actually answer your question, this guy from Full Metal Panic and most of the various Tekkamen from Tekkaman Blade come to mind
>>
>>14630298
I've never been more disappointed in a show's quality than I was after watching FMP a few months ago. All those years of hype from so frequently seeing it in people's lists of recommended shows.
>>
>>14630316
The first season of FMP is a drag, but TSR and Fumoffu! are fucking sweet.
>>
>>14630028
Understand that villain-of-the-week robots, and villain designs in those robot shows from the 70s to 80s were in what basically can be described as "typical Decepticon colors", because the animation studios have those colors of paints going unused, so these throwaway designs get painted in those colors.

It's not very complicated to understand.

The other concept you need to understand is that the heroes and villains are color-coded, as a result. In the industry, they nicknamed this era of robot shows as "robot pro-wrestling", and in practice, it does come off as pro wrestling with robots. This extends to the robots having all sorts of gimmicks and moves they show off (also remember, gotta sell those toys!).

The designs of the robots being iconic also has some amount of graphic design principles in them.

Western robots on the other hand, are "iconic" because the West is starved for their own robot show content. There's no real merchandise/iconic competition each time for the likes of ED-209 or the Power Loader.
>>
>>14630316
It's recommended not because it's super great (although I genuinely do think TSR is amazing), but because it's very accessible to your average anime fan and a good way to get into mecha. It contains a lot of stuff you see in those SoL high school shows that get pumped out every season and it has an English dub for those annoying casuals that must have that, but it also has some pretty decent art and animation and a solid story. Not the best thing in the world, but enough to make people want to go deeper is the idea.
>>
>>14631051
I suppose that makes sense. I haven't checked out TSR or Fumoffu! because I got so turned off by the first season.

Other stuff that I see on rec lists are usually much higher quality or appeal to my taste for whatever reason, like Great Teacher Onizuka.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.