[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me what really are newtypes and why souls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

Can someone explain to me what really are newtypes and why souls are weighed down by gravity? I finished Zeta last night but it all went over my head.
>>
Space autists.
>>
Try living in space.
>>
>>14607699
Fpbp
>>
>>
>>14607695
newtypes are a few humans who can feel stuff better in space. therefore, a newtype can sense other newtype's will.
as for souls weighted down by gravity, it's just how AEUG refers to the way earthlings act as if there is absolutely now way humans could live in space.

also, as for how zeta operated ridiculously well on the fight against The O, the zeta has a sor of psycommu equivalent developed by anaheim.
>>
>>14607695
When you live in space the constant empty void you see around you starts to fuck with your brain, triggering latent mutations hidden in some people. This causes you to somehow be simultaneously hyper dramatic and incredibly autistic, despite the fact that one of the big things it does in 0079 is give instant empathy.
>>
>>14607695

So you remember when human beings first invented boats, right?

Well, it's hard for people on one boat to talk to people on other boats because of how dangerous the ocean is for human beings. So we as human beings developed psychic powers to talk over ocean distances and to help us survive on the seas.

Oh wait, that didn't happen?

THAT'S RIGHT, IT DIDN'T, BECAUSE ITS FUCKING STUPID

STUUUUUUUPPPPPPPID
>>
>>14607695
>why souls are weighed down by gravity
It's about reaching a higher plane of thought, in every series someone becomes a newtype only after being in space long enough. No one ever becomes a newtype while on Earth.
>>
File: UsoEwin.png (109KB, 388x353px) Image search: [Google]
UsoEwin.png
109KB, 388x353px
>>14607765
>>
File: 2qsvujc.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2qsvujc.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Reminder that Char was wrong.
>>
>>14607730
But how does the newtype "magic powers" by the end of Zeta make sense?
>>
>>14607783
I'm referring to what scirocco did to kamille
>>
>>14607788
uh
what did sirocco do again?

all I remember is zeta exerting what they call "pressure" on other mechs and pilots, kamille going full ragemode and kamikaze-ing against The O
>>
>>14607695
>Can someone explain to me what really are newtypes
In Gundam, they're made to be the next step in human evolution. They can arise naturally and can be artificially They often display some kind of mental (and sometimes physical) superiority to regular humans. This commonly manifests as better combat skills, but also in ESP-like abilities. The exact limitations of newtypes is ill-defined as later on in UC, the newtypes are able to "shoot" telekinetic waves at each other and travel through time.

>why souls are weighed down by gravity?
This is mostly zeek propaganda to meant to undermine the Feds' authority and incapability for compassion, intelligence, or concern for soupcan squatters. It's not completely unfounded, however, as the majority of newtypes were born in space and Earth-born newtypes don't demonstrate abilities until they spend time out in space.
>>
>>14607695
>what really are newtypes
Plot devices.
>>
>>14607837
Sirocco used the last of his strength and made Kamille go full potato at the end of Zeta
>>
>>14607695
It's all a load of shit.
>>
>>14607773

Victory doesn't count
>>
>>14607837
>A comet moves like Swoosh
>>
humanity on earth only uses a certain percentage of its brain activity but when a human goes into space, his brain activity increases and so he has some new faculties like telepathy and has more feeling and empathy
>>
>>14607991
This is true, in both AW and UC, newtypes are not the messiah here to bring humanity into a golden age of peace, they are just people with psychic powers.

Doesn't stop them from being power-hungry or monstrous as individuals just like anyone else.
>>
>>14608396
Don't talk shit, being a newtype has nothing to do with empathy. Also multiple newtypes develop their abilities while on Earth.
>>
>>14607765
>No one ever becomes a newtype while on Earth.
Explain Hathaway and Quess.
>>
I hate the NewType nonsense.

Improvement is earned, not given.
>>
File: newtype.png (307KB, 448x609px)
newtype.png
307KB, 448x609px
>>14607695
Here you go.
>>
>>14608545
Do autists/newtypes really have a tendency for "Spins objects or self"?
>>
File: 1470349098077.jpg (58KB, 400x549px) Image search: [Google]
1470349098077.jpg
58KB, 400x549px
Newtypes are my least favorite thing about UC. The space magic bullshit ruins every story its given prominence in.
>>
>>14608577
Japan in general seems to have something of an obsession for people that are superior due to 'genetics/bloodline' or 'divine right' though.

Like Naruto, goes from being a supposed 'hard worker' who usually gets by instead from jacking powerups from the demon inside him, to it being revealed he's descended from multiple prestigious clans/bloodlines that give him superior biological and supernatural abilities and is literally the 'child of destiny' and a walking messiah.
>>
>>14608553
They spin their mobile suits around a lot.
>>
>>14608545
Wow, there's a lot of newtypes on 4chan.
>>
File: MSlaunch.webm (3MB, 884x480px) Image search: [Google]
MSlaunch.webm
3MB, 884x480px
>>14608577
I actually like it, but I can understand how you feel that way, especially since it gains so much more prominence as the story continues past 0079. In some way its kind of a defiance of viewer expectation if they are not onboard for the newtype space magic right away.

>>14608610
Tomino assblasts that stuff regularly. I think Newtype is more of an easier to understand (Gundam is a toy commercial for kids after all) allegory for people who have evolved past machiavellism and tribalistic elements instead of ""MUH PURE BLUDLINE" shit you are suggesting it is.

I don't know jack about Naruto, so you might be right about that case however.
>>
>>14608577
Newtype is the best setting in UC, without newtypes gundam is just a mediocre mecha shit.
Lets consider the contrast between the unrealistic esp abilities and the realistic war setting, your soul is too heavy to understand this
>>
>>14607695

Autistic Jedi.
>>
>>14607743

Kek, you didn't get Poseidon's gift of telepathy? Enjoy being left out as the rest of us psychically make fun of you.
>>
>>14607765
Apolgiize to Tiffa.
>>
something something next stage of human evolution
something psychic powers something
>>
>>14607695
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_effect
>>
>>14609490
It's not just that, there's a more literal meaning to the "weighed down by gravity" comment. For a person on the ground, to get into orbit is a very difficult task. Escape velocity requires a massive expensive machine and unpleasantly high G-forces. But once you're past that first step, everything is easy.Travelling from any colony to any other colony is a far simpler and less strenuous task than breaking free of the earth's gravity.

But even when people know for a fact that they can be free of a limitation, they still will settle for continuing to live under that limitation rather than undergo a temporary hardship to free themselves from it. People will continue to be pushed around rather than risk taking up arms against their oppressors. That is what it means to have your soul weighed down: to be afraid to change your situation in life even when you know you have a chance at improving it.
>>
>>14608641
Well it's a good trick
>>
>>14607743
Underrated post
>>
>>14607743
Woolie pls
>>
>>14607695

newtype amuro:

-giving him extra spatial awareness
-predict the enemy's movement
-predict funnel's movement
-can do a telepathic conversation

newtype kamille:
-deflect laser
-extend saber
-summoning dead ppl
-sense emotion
-sense when ppl dead ( getting colony gassed)

depends on the pilot, anon.
>>
>>14609558
Minovsky craft like whitebase can exit Earth's atmosphere with no effort

The phrase "souls weighed down by gravity" is in the end just trite zeon propaganda, like Magneto pulling the term 'Homo Superior' out of his ass and screaming it at everyone.
>>
>>14609669
Kammy and Jewdough's ridiculous newtype bullshit was a mistake, damn franchise power creep.
>>
>>14608407
Most entries in UC go to great lengths to point that out too. It seems to go over people's heads both in and out of the series though.
>>
>>14607765
>first confirmed newtype in UC is an earthnoid who begins to unlock his powers on earth

?
>>
>>14610902
CCA: Only psychoframes made Axis Shock possiblee and could have been the absolute capstone to Newtypism
F91: Normal spidey sense stuff and a good waifu dectector in a pinch, can also help control tentacles if you have your whole mind hooked up
Victory: 50% weaksauce shit that barely matches Amuro, 50% mass Jesus-style healing and making people turn into babies, also newtype babies
Unicorn, since it's a series now too: Psychoframe bullshit repeats the miracle of Axis Shock multiple times, disables weapons, stops colony lasers, creates visions of the past, talks to Amuro's space ghost, and a ton of other shit just 3 years after CCA and still nobody knows what psychoframe is or why the T literally flew off into space forever

maybe not power creep besides V antagonists but fuck Unicorn
>>
>>14611051
The big difference is also that Late UC isn't shit compared to Early UC.

>and still nobody knows what psychoframe is or why the T literally flew off into space forever
Magic dildo escaping velocity
>>
>>14607695
Souls physically exist and are literally affected by gravity, read the Unicorn pastebin.
>>
Originally it was supposed to be an esper type power granting things like spacial awareness, ability to read emotions, and an innate aptitude for piloting. Traditionally though, it is used for asspulls at the end of a Gundam series so that the power of friendship can be used to overpower the bad guy. Honestly new types are the worst part about Gundam.
>>
>>14608407
>>14610907
Actually, what goes over people's heads is that this bunch of esper-like people they call newtypes in the series aren't necessarily the kind of people Zeon Deikun was referring to. They just slapped the brand on to them, with all the idealism associated to it.
>>
File: Autism.webm (830KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.webm
830KB, 1280x720px
>Halfway through Zeta

Is Kamille the worst Gundam pilot skill wise in the franchise? Like holy shit it's embarrasing.

>This handshake
top kek
>>
>>14613883
This is the same board that still thinks Unicorn is Zeekwank even though the entire conflict revolves around the fact that Zeek ideals are so blind and retarded that it could start another war over almost literally nothing.
>>
>>14607743
Space is really really big, much bigger than the ocean. Also there's a lot more gamma rays
>>
>>14607765
Go to bed Rasso
>>
It means noob.

Newtype = new at typing, so they obviously haven't been on the internet for very long. Unlike me, a certified oldfag.
>>
File: fullfrontal_1678.jpg (75KB, 240x239px) Image search: [Google]
fullfrontal_1678.jpg
75KB, 240x239px
>>14614039
Full Frontal was right, even though they made his character and ideals shit in the last episode.
>>
>>14611025
Challia Bull is a spacenoid
>>
File: 1428050240441.jpg (234KB, 1061x1600px)
1428050240441.jpg
234KB, 1061x1600px
>>14607695

Can someone explain to me the whole "Newtypes can control Funnels" thing?

Is it telekinesis? Are they actually moving each individual funnel with their mind?
>>
>>14615194
The funnels are moving by their clearly visible propulsion thrusters.

The big deal is that Newtypes are able to transmit their brainwaves via tech in their MS to control their bits/funnels even through minovsky interference.
Minovsky particles can't block brainwaves.

There's also versions of such things that are connected to the suit by wires and they can be used by both newtypes and oldtypes due to not being wireless, but come with obvious drawbacks in comparison.
>>
>>14615194
Not actual telekinesis but rather that their brainwaves can be transmitted wirelessly to the funnels to direct their movements.
>>
>>14615194
only unicorn's shields
>>
Newtypes are mutant space jedi with really powerful brainwaves.

Souls being weighed down by gravity is essentially an accusation that a spacenoid is a race traitor because they show solidarity with the Federation as opposed to their fellow spacers.
>>
>>14615222
Unicorn is just the worst snowflake in the UC
>>
A Newtype is an ideal where after living in space, humanity will gain the ability to truly understand one another. Various telepaths that have actually shown up have been labeled Newtypes, but basically all of them come to realize that they're just psychics, not the fucking messiah.

Souls weighed down by gravity was a nice sounding metaphor Char made that basically just meant "you guys don't GET spacenoids". Like most nice sounding soundbytes it was reappropriated and reused until its original meaning was completely lost.
>>
File: Khan bloweth thee up.png (386KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Khan bloweth thee up.png
386KB, 500x500px
>>14608610

Honestly Newtypes feel like Khans-in-waiting.

Power that's not earned is power without discipline. There's no sense of responsibility with born power.

Also, from a writing standpoint it feels like a cop-out. "Amateur guy beats a combat veteran ace? He's got superpowers." What a cheat.
>>
>>14616278
>Also, from a writing standpoint it feels like a cop-out. "Amateur guy beats a combat veteran ace? He's got superpowers." What a cheat.

There's also the old trope of the amateur having a super high tech prototype suit that outclasses the skilled veteran's hunk of grunt junk.
>>
>>14615252
This is the best explanation in the thread so far.

Here's how I like to think of it though:

"Newtype" is a term that refers to both a concept and a phenomena that occurs in people in UC. What exactly it is changes with almost every entry in the series; originally it seems to have been a minor or preliminary form of evolution of homo sapiens as they adapt to living in a deep space environment. Later instalments suggest that newtypes never existed at all and that it just became a concept that was parroted and feared over time; the people in question being simply extremely highly competent individuals or possessing some form of heightened (non-supernatural) mental ability. The latter possibility suggests that human nature leads people to "jump the gun" as it were in assuming that times are changing when they're really hinging on political/economical understanding rather than species and xenophobia; or the fear of being made obsolete by the next generation.

"Your/their souls are weighed down by gravity" is something I always considered equivalent to the Nietzsche quote, "Gravity is the antithesis of dance"; Nietzsche considered dancing the symbol of the energy of life, the freedom to become; the will to power. "Gravity" being interchangeable with such concepts as "tradition", "religion", "authority", etc. The point I'm trying to reconcile here is that gravity, both a physical and conceptual aspect of living on earth, whilst initially helpful to our species, is like a crib from which humans must grow out of and willingly cast off in order to progress to the next stage; the suggestion is that those who don't understand this are driven by "greed", "fear" or "apathy" (other words interchangeable with gravity). Char almost certainly wasn't actually referring to souls as we think of them on religious terms but the fact that Kamille later goes on to literally summon the souls of dead people causes some confusion on the matter.
>>
>>14609235
We didn't deserve Tiffa. Literally too pure for this Earth
>>
File: 1471060203788.png (129KB, 385x179px)
1471060203788.png
129KB, 385x179px
>>14616597
>YFW humanity might be the most advanced species in the universe
Too pure for this existence anon
>>
Hey, since this is a Zeta thread, could someone tell me what happened to the Zeta V2 Project? It's been nearly a year since we got the raws.
>>
>>14607783

Oh all the mobile suits has psychic amplifiers in them to allow stuff like the psychic battling, Zeta's random powerups and Sirroco frying Kamille's brain.

And if you're wondering how you missed that, it's because that wasn't actually explained in series and was unknown until years later when side books brought it up.

I think CCA's is when actual newtype enhancing technology was actually mentioned in story.
>>
>>14614032
Just finished it, myself. A big problem with the series is how overly episodic it is, and how there has to be a battle in every single episode. So the villains end up getting plot armor, which makes Kamille look completely incompetent, since every battle goes like

>Yazan/Jerid: I'll get you this time, Gundam!
>Kamille: I don't know if I can handle this!
>Fa: KAMIRU!
>Yazan/Jerid: Backup!? I'll have to retreat for now!

It's only in the last few episodes that the battles have any stakes, and Kamille ends up showing off much more competence, though not on Amuro's level. Unfortunately they start trying to make up new Newtype powers every two minutes, which undermines the whole thing.

The show really would have been a lot better if there were more one-off redshirt villains like the Black Tri-Stars and it wasn't so in love with rivals like Jerid and Yazan. Hell, not even Char had to be in EVERY episode, and in fact disappeared for a good chunk of the series after Garma died.
>>
>>14608669
This is gorgeous. Can I ask what its from?
>>
>>14620783
>Can I ask what its from?

No you fucking can't you overprivileged scum! Work on contributing more to this site and maybe people will feel more inclined to scratch your ass for you!
It's from Gundam F91
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.