[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shin Godzilla thread: Hardcore Right-wing Propaganda Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 388
Thread images: 96

File: 58215169_p0.jpg (394KB, 750x630px) Image search: [Google]
58215169_p0.jpg
394KB, 750x630px
So far Shin has made at least 6million on a 10million budget, and overseas distribution alone will push that revenue over the line.

Will Shin surpass vs Kong as the most successful Goji ever, and if so, will Anno return for the unavoidable sequel?

Ost playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ru-wduZ70&list=PL_Bg39cb6VXImKhiTQEB6vUwfPg1vjGD9

Potato quality footage of his new Gyaos beam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk0gm-W3VS4
(Please send the England family your condolences over the loss of their Norman).

Positive review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pamEmcqq9S4

Crybaby boo-hoo not muh zilla review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrZE8vhpRcs
>>
File: 1469161997965.png (287KB, 429x720px) Image search: [Google]
1469161997965.png
287KB, 429x720px
Mandatory reposting
>>
>>14595574

>that image

I'd watch it. But only as long as ShinGoji is voiced by Michael Richards
>>
File: tumblr_obee4tHYBJ1sfqui2o1_1280.png (2MB, 1280x901px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_obee4tHYBJ1sfqui2o1_1280.png
2MB, 1280x901px
>>14595574
Isn't SG at $20 million now in domestic gross? It has been number one at box office for two weeks in a row. Allegedly it's projected to earn between $40-$50 million by closing.

Unless you adjust for inflation, the best way to compare its commercial performance to older films is with attendance. G14 had like 2.5 million attendance with a $29 million final gross, so that definitely means SG will pull at least 3.5-4 million if it actually lives up to expectations. That's up there with the most successful Heisei films and Honda's Trilogy (MvG, Ghidorah, and MZ).
>>
>>14595574
>>14595605
Yeah, 6 million is just the 1st weekend.
>>
File: G Attendance.jpg (74KB, 720x350px) Image search: [Google]
G Attendance.jpg
74KB, 720x350px
>>14595605
If Shin Godzilla reaches 4 million attendance (which apparently is possible), it would be within the top 10 most successful Japanese Godzilla films.
>>
Okay, so...

>Why is this called hardcore right-wing propaganda edition? Does the movie have some kind of rightist political message?

>Can someone give me a non-spoilery summary of the "Crybaby boo-hoo not muh zilla review?"

>Anybody on /m/ who happens to be in Japan willing to give a balanced pros-cons list without too much in the way of spoilers?
>>
>>14595646
Thread title is because some idiots were complaining about what they felt were nationalistic tones in the film, and wrote blog posts about how Anno is literally Hitler and similar tumblrina bullshit.

Boo-hoo reviewers didn't like it because Anno and icthyosis-zilla. They also felt '14 was one of the best movies--read into that what you will.

Wait a bit longer on that last one.
>>
>>14595658
>Thread title is because some idiots were complaining about what they felt were nationalistic tones in the film, and wrote blog posts about how Anno is literally Hitler and similar tumblrina bullshit.

Japan has always been kind of nationalistic. I'm not saying it's a good thing, but people should probably expect it.

>Boo-hoo reviewers didn't like it because Anno and icthyosis-zilla. They also felt '14 was one of the best movies--read into that what you will.

Because the director and because Godzilla looked all burned up and shit? That's dumb.

>Wait a bit longer on that last one.
I figured as much but thought I'd ask.

To be honest, I'm fucking hype. Can't wait for subtitles. I'd learn Japanese to watch untranslated anime and tokushit but I'm already trying to learn Chinese so I can watch untranslated kung fu movies.
>>
>>14595646
>Why is this called hardcore right-wing propaganda edition? Does the movie have some kind of rightist political message?
Norman England (mistakenly) thought it was a pro-Japanese military and anti-America film. However, other people have dismissed that reading of the film. It attacks the indecisiveness of the Japanese government and questions how much power the country really has in the face of an attack. It's a satire or black comedy, at least the first half. But other countries, including the US, are represented positively as well and contribute in battling Godzilla.

>Can someone give me a non-spoilery summary of the "Crybaby boo-hoo not muh zilla review?"

Jim Ballard and JR hated almost everything about Shin Godzilla. They couldn't invest in the characters because the film doesn't explore the personal lives of its cast, they thought the recycling of Ifukube scores and Eva music was inappropriate, and they describe the CGI as laughable and drone on about how Toho should have gone the traditional route. Apparently the film doesn't have an identity and its message is weak. They don't understand how people like the film and consider it one of the worst in the franchise. But in the end they tack on an encouragement to form your own opinion.
>>
>>14595673
Thanks. That first explanation takes away the only reservations I had about the film, actually.
>>
So, fucking camrip when??
>>
>>14595658
Reviewes loved the movie.
>>
>yfw Shin Godzilla 2 comes out a few years from now
>trailer doesn't say much about the story
>opens on a girl singing, sitting on a green surface
>slowly zooms out to show she's sitting on a leaf, and zooms out further and further until we see that she is almost microscopic in comparison to MOTHRA!

I have a feeling nobody else would be hype, but I would.
>>
>>14595673
On top of that, they did seem to like the at least two of the major Godzilla set pieces for the most part. The SDF attack and beam scene.
>>
>>14595690
Nah, everyone loves Mothra except for giga-faggots.
>>
>>14595646

I've been following this film for quite a while and the common response from audiences is that it's a successful attempt to recreate the mood and feeling of seeing the 1954 original film, specifically the sensation of dread and unsettling, lingering post-movie foreboding.

It also has the same issues that the original film had whereby the focus isn't on individual characters but humanity as a group facing off against Godzilla.

Basically if you liked the original then you'll like this?
>>
>>14595698
>Basically if you liked the original then you'll like this?
This is literally the best thing anyone could have said about the movie as far as I'm concerned. Godzilla '54 is one of my top five movies of all time, period. Not just Godzilla movies.

>>14595697
I just figured the new movie was going to be so grim and serious that a lot of people would want it to keep that tone and have no place for weird magical realism.
>>
>>14595679
When it leaves Japan. Japanese laws concerning piracy are extremely strict. At the earliest, look for something around mid-August or September when it opens in places like the Philippines and China. If Funimation sticks to the schedule they had with Attack on Titan (also Toho), it should be in North American theaters by late September or early October.
>>
>>14595709
Anno is a bonafied reality-warping archwizard, so if anyone can bring Shin and Mothra together its him.

Personally, I'd prefer an independent Mothra film that shows her dealing with other showa monsters such as Rodan, Gorosaurus, Angilas, etc. I wouldn't mind anothe ecological and conservative film either, so long as it's handled more intelligently. They could even play her up as an earth antibody you can communicate with.
>>
File: Best Pals.jpg (2MB, 2920x2001px)
Best Pals.jpg
2MB, 2920x2001px
>>
File: American Zillas.jpg (56KB, 600x316px)
American Zillas.jpg
56KB, 600x316px
>>14595735
>>
>>14595746
How much did '14 pay for the stomach tucking photoshop?
>>
>>14595727
Magical realism, which is what Mothra really is, came out of Central America, as a kind of left-wing genre, where the impossible was not just possible, but accepted with hardly a question.

In... I believe it was One Hundred Years of Solitude, a bunch of rebels saw one of their heroes' execution, but while the executioners saw what they expected, all the rebels saw him escape and run off, which gave them the will to fight on.

I love the idea of Mothra being this giant moth who simply is the champion of the downtrodden, her origin never explained, and she's worshiped by a tribe who have come to see her as a deity over generations of marginalization and suffering, being forced to live on that island as a kind of analog to Indian reservations or something.

Imagine she's just wrecking shit, destroying businesses and everything, and some beggar is just having a beer and watching from a distance, unperturbed.

I think Mothra could get insanely political, but if it did, I don't necessarily see it getting mainstream success in Japan.
>>
I think if they do a sequel with this Godzilla vs another monster it might be some sort of artificially-created one.

Like, the movie could be split into stages. The first one is about a mechanical war machine they built to combat Godzilla at close range. It fails and the pilot nearly dies, but they manage to rip off some of Godzilla's body parts. The second stage they try a biomechanical creature, sort of built with some of Godzilla's flesh, with the pilot doing some sort of neural link to control it. The two have a big fight and cause a lot of damage and Godzilla ends up retreating, but then the third stage begins as the biomechanical monster goes out of control and absorbs the pilot, turning into a big angular horror.

The end of the movie is the army tragically having to aid Godzilla in killing their former comrade. Godzilla slinks off into the ocean to lick his wounds and the film lingers on the mass destruction left behind around the biomechanical mutant's corpse.

That said it probably won't be very good.
>>
>>14595749
He got a good deal from the same guy who handled Heisei's photoshoots.
>>
>>14595754
It's {{{CURRENT YEAR}}}, everything is insanely political. Success in Japan would depend on the staff first and foremost, but good marketing never hurts. If I remember Mothra is still very popular with little girls and middle-aged women, so a family film would be the safest route for Toho to go down.

Can't say i see any connection to central america at all, unless you're just mentioning at the sub-genre's origin point.
Mothra as a monster and as a movie is completely Japanese to her core--a big fat dose of Animisim/Shintoisim in a secular sci-fi series, and that's exactly why she's still popular fifty years later.
>>
File: 1470626515697.jpg (1MB, 2681x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1470626515697.jpg
1MB, 2681x1200px
>>
File: 27273727272828.gif (1017KB, 500x415px) Image search: [Google]
27273727272828.gif
1017KB, 500x415px
It seems Ed Godziszewski, Norman England, August Ragone, Jim Ballard, and JR Lipartito don't like Shin Godzilla. The last man left is James Rolfe. How will the last pillar of the community respond?
>>
>>14595803
Anyone else prefer to think of this as just an organ for beam firing? It's be a little too weird (and too reminiscent of Ghidorah) if it was a fully fuctioning head with a brain.
They eyes look more like dollops of meat as well.
>>
>>14595814
>Pillars
Only man in that list whose opinions are worth respecting is Ragone, and even he's mad bad calls in the past.

Don't be an NPC in someone else's life, form your own opinion once you see the movie.
>>
>>14595814
Cap of Ragone saying he didn't like it?
>>
>>14595646
What's wrong with nationalism?
>>
>>14595838
According to a user on MZ forums, Ragone has called it a turd a few times now
>>
>>14595918
I'm going to need an actual source, mate.
>>
>>14595929
The MZ user said this happened on Facebook today/yesterday. That's all I have for you.
>>
>>14595875
Good when it's your peoples. Bad for others.
Basically makes it harder for Japan to America's bootlicker.
>>
Nationalism in Shin-Godzilla is Patlabor 2 tier.
>>
File: Shin Jerry.png (126KB, 459x348px) Image search: [Google]
Shin Jerry.png
126KB, 459x348px
>there are people who think the "true" in "shin" is a reaction to amerigoji
>not to all the hilarious shenanigans he has been put through

>>14595938
So all the right-wing stuff people have been spouting are the same as the '14 "MURRCA FUCK YA" whining? I hope so.
>>
>>14595803
>Hey man, thanks for letting me have a bit in the new movie.
>No problem, Orga.
>>
>>14595970
A Japan with a bigger military is what the US wants these days.

No escaping the bootlicking Japan is the US' bitch for ever.
>>
File: elaboration.png (197KB, 451x800px)
elaboration.png
197KB, 451x800px
>>14596152
>>14596157
Whoever was talking Norman didn't include the whole conversation
>>
>>14596186
>purplish
and his second statement is goal-post shifting
>>
File: Shin atomic breath.webm (3MB, 576x324px) Image search: [Google]
Shin atomic breath.webm
3MB, 576x324px
>>
>>14596242
He's not wrong though. In that trailer, there literally was no purple beam.

It could have ended up being white or some shit.
>>
>>14595574
I never realised until now, but Ghibli's are the most commercially successful films produced in Japan, aren't they?
>>
>>14595814
This is bizarre. Since when did nerds become such celebrity bootlickers? Pillars of the community? What the fuck? Is individualism really a dying trait in America?
>>
>>14596314
Yooo, that is dope.

I thought the super gaping mouth looked derpy at first, but it looks incredible in motion, how it stretches and kinda yanks a bit.
>>
>>14596362

I want a pepe the frog comic edit of 4 panels where he charges up slowly, then on the last panel he lets out the purple beam as he REEEEEEEEEEEEEs.

If only I didn't suck ass at art and photoshop.
>>
>>14596160
Holy...now after looking at it closely the mouth does look like Orga's head. But with more teeth.
>>
>>14596353
You didn't notice all the people parroting Rolfe's opinion as gospel after his "re-review" of Godzilla 2014?

His views don't hold any more weight than anyone else's.
>>
>>14596314
His bottom jaw splits sideways like those vampire-vimpires from blade 2 or the pterodactyl-things from The Mist.
Neat, really layering on the "hideous mutant" qualities.
Do we have any video of the back-beams or tail beam?
>>
>>14596418
>You didn't notice all the people parroting Rolfe's opinion as gospel after his "re-review" of Godzilla 2014?

Nope. I haven't seen the film, nor his review, nor tried to get more info about it. I don't plan to either. The trailers looked "meh" so I never bothered.

Anyway, I'll take this as a yes. Nerds are now normalfag tier. Even Godzilla nerds.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 317x247px)
image.jpg
48KB, 317x247px
>>14595697
Mothra a shit Mary-Sue-ass slut
>>
File: shin-09.jpg (57KB, 400x601px) Image search: [Google]
shin-09.jpg
57KB, 400x601px
So guys, my understanding, based on the wikipedia plot breakdown, is within the movie godzilla is stated to potentially be able to reproduce asexually. Is that not a pretty obvious explanation for why there are skeletons in the tail? Not being sucked in/absorbed, but being budded from/birthed? If it is, would that actually be a solid way to shoehorn in new kaiju for future movies, having Godzila parent them sorta in the same way Venom from spiderman parented all the other symbiotes?
>>
>>14596314
This is fucking rad. I love how the beam doesn't even make things explode, it just cuts and slices.
>>
>>14596435
I'd see this for Junior, but with the other kaiju we need to see.
>>
>>14596419
I' also add something from SC's Hydralisk to it, but the Hydra has actually a lower jaw but with another lower one that covers it and splits.
>>
>>14596445
I mean, any non-winged dinosaur or mutant kaiju would be fair game under this method, but other big names that are either robots, mythical creatures, bugs or fliers would be harder to justify.
That said, they might have given Legendary the rights to King Ghidora, Mothera and Rodan for a reason.
>>
>>14595709
A giant worm assuming stewardship of nature and heralded by a demihuman-led cult is the easiest thing in the world to grim up.
>>
File: 1469729200745.jpg (27KB, 618x412px)
1469729200745.jpg
27KB, 618x412px
>>14595658
What's wrong with having pride in your nation, how is that a problem?
>>
>>14595938
>>14596515
well there we go, myth confirmed, I don't really see any reason to believe those skeletons aren't new godzillas or new kaiju being born if it's established in-film that godzilla can likely reproduce asexually. It's kind of a detail they wouldn't bring up unless it was something important.

In fact, knowing this, it's probably vital they stopped godzilla where they did, it's next transformation would have probably shed new monsters in the process, and that long close-up to the tail was highlighting what would have been had they not stopped godzilla in time. And that's rad.
>>
File: 357909542.jpg (302KB, 1024x1477px) Image search: [Google]
357909542.jpg
302KB, 1024x1477px
Anyone else would have preferred Shiro Sagisu had used the Godzilla theme from Mothra vs Godzilla instead of King Kong vs Godzilla? The former sounds more menacing.
>>
>>14596486
In and of itself it isn't a problem, it's the paranoid liberal attention such tones attract that's the problem. According to current year logic, pride in your nation makes you literally hitler.
>>
>>14596798
Not favoring one side or the other, though I guess the hostile attitude against nationalism is something of a preventative action against some of the events that led to and happened during WWII. We're not allowed to say anyone is inferior or the villain, unless a select group of individuals tells us so.
>>
>>14595783
Yeah, I was talking about the origin of magical realism in general. It then spread to Japan. I just thought it would be kind of cool if it leaned on classic magical realism a bit.
>>
>>14596773
I thought Anno and Oshii hated each other
>>
>>
>>14596486
Because nations are bullshit and make the working class and poor think they have more in common with the bourgeoisie and government than they have in common with those being similarly stamped upon elsewhere.

Also because it is impossible to be a patriot without being a chauvanist patriot.
>>
Since Shin is doing so well, maybe that new Gamera movie will finally come out too!
>>
>>14596826
I'm very certain central america has jack-shit influence on Japan, or anywhere else for that matter.
>>
>>14596844
wat
>>
>>14596844
No, that'd be globalisim.
>>
>>14596853
> New Gamera movie might come out
Kadokawa is probably hesitant. Gamera the Brave was a miserable flop.
>>
>>14596892
They are re-filming the movie after kicking Takadera out.
>>
File: 58213202_p0.jpg (296KB, 2084x1590px) Image search: [Google]
58213202_p0.jpg
296KB, 2084x1590px
>>14596892
That was a decade ago, plenty of time for interest to build/bad Brave after taste to fade.

I actually liked the movie for what it set out to do.
>>
>>14596899
I consider it one of the best Gamera films, a great modern take on the Showa Era. It just came out at the wrong time. Japanese were sick of giant monsters by that point. Final Wars bombed two years beforehand.
>>
File: 1469879690151.png (421KB, 565x365px)
1469879690151.png
421KB, 565x365px
Western reviewers are just shitting the bed with this one, we should be praising Toho for trying something new for once.
>>
File: Anno.jpg (24KB, 275x270px) Image search: [Google]
Anno.jpg
24KB, 275x270px
Is Anno coming back for the sequel?
>>
>>14595875

See: both world wars
>>
>>14596429

Nerds have always been as shitty as everyone else. The internet just made it more obvious.
>>
>>14596813

Pretty much the entire first half of the 20th century is a decent argument against nationalism.
>>
>>14596978

There is that and then there is becoming a bootlicker of bigger nations. There must be a happy middle for everyone.
>>
File: Flowers.jpg (341KB, 2048x1408px) Image search: [Google]
Flowers.jpg
341KB, 2048x1408px
>>14596961
You mean triple bracket oligarchies funding conflict on both sides.

>>14596968
I'd argue that nerds are worse, since they come with an extra layer of bitterness and even worse social skills. Plus tech support and how-to guides are everywhere thanks to the internet, so knowing a nerd is much less valuable than it was ten or even five years ago.
>>
>>14596978
>>14596961
Is Patriotism more acceptable?

>>14596954
Unless 4.0 comes out first, I know some people who are going to be pissed if Anno commits to another Godzilla or any other project for that matter.

>>14596936
Business and word of mouth is evidently strong. Shin Godzilla is on track to becoming one of the most successful films for the franchise in literal decades. Anno's work just incites strong opinions, usually pretty sharp extremes it seems. But better this than another dull picture.
>>
File: 1459083643295.jpg (40KB, 239x283px)
1459083643295.jpg
40KB, 239x283px
>>14596936
>>14597005
>Fucking giant dino--er, mixotroph is 2deep for some people
Can we get some links and caps of reviewers struggling understand this movie? I need a good laugh today.
>>
Godzilla 2014 - budget of $160m
Fairly average Godzilla movie

Shin Godzilla - budget of $10 -15m
Literally the second coming

What happened??
>>
>>14595754

>Gabriel Garcia Marquez presents: One Hundred Years of Mothra

....I'd read/watch it
>>
>>14597015
http://youtu.be/OrZE8vhpRcs

For tl;dr versions of the video see >>14595673 and >>14595658

http://kotaku.com/godzilla-resurgence-the-kotaku-review-1784509330
>>
>>14597045

Anno's a better/more experienced director than Edwards and has the advantage of having a significantly more deranged imagination?
>>
>>14596832
Actually, they're on very good terms, which is why they through bantz at each other. Anno helped Oshii fund Sky Crawlers, for example, which wasn't a commercial success, so he later remarked, in an interview with Ikuhara, that Oshii doesn't care about giving a return on investment, he assumes the funds he's given are a gift.
>>
>>14596844
A literal commie! Kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>14597052
Don't forget Higuchi was the SFX man either. This movie proves he can squeeze blood from a rock.
>>
>>14597052
Gareth quit because he couldn't handle the stress of large budget films, and the atmosphere that came with it.
Most of the behind the scenes of Rouge One was him trying to deal with the stress and complete the film, which lead to the Reshoots.
>>
>>14596968
>Nerds have always been as shitty as everyone else. The internet just made it more obvious.

I've been on the internet since 1989. You're wrong.
>>
File: 198384.jpg (12KB, 171x266px)
198384.jpg
12KB, 171x266px
>>14597063

I'm actually not surprised that they'd be bros IRL. They feel like each other's weird, mirror-universe counterpart.

Picture not related, but Oshii being an accelerationist wouldn't surprise me
>>
File: DrStrangelove060Pyxurz1.jpg (29KB, 660x455px) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangelove060Pyxurz1.jpg
29KB, 660x455px
>>14597071

/pol/ pls
>>
>>14597106
Nick Land?
>>
>>14597118

[hyperstition intensifies]
>>
>>14597132
But Anno attacks both the left and the right in Shin Godzilla. Both are capable of believing in or doing questionable things.
>>
>>14597111

Now you did it, I'm coming for you
>>
>>14597132
>Also note that Anno used to take part in extremist left wing protests and that his mentor (who has a cameo in the film) is a socialist.
Elaborate.
>>
File: landotemplate.jpg (439KB, 956x1200px) Image search: [Google]
landotemplate.jpg
439KB, 956x1200px
>>14597151

En garde
>>
File: 262727273.gif (259KB, 588x400px)
262727273.gif
259KB, 588x400px
>>14597132
Seems like a balanced critique of just about everyone:

> The entire first half of the movie is pretty much a black comedy making fun of everything Japan- Old politicians insisting on doing things by the book and wailing about how there're no precedents or manuals for them to fall back on, the PM putting on his blue bousaifuku just for the press conference, civilians ignoring evacuation announcements to climb up to rooftops and stream videos of Godzilla to Niconico (and even the ones that DO evacuate take douchey selfie videos of themselves while doing so), politicians thinking that the first thing they should do do in a time of crisis is not to handle the crisis but to have a press conference, politicians saying stupid things, the PM announcing that there's no way Godzilla will come on land only to have an aide come up to him and whisper in his ear to say that he just came up on land, needlessly long chains of command, pointless meetings, SEALDs-style throngs of misguided left-wingers banging on drums yelling "PROTECT GODZILLA", TV Tokyo showing anime while all the other stations are reporting on Godzilla... The works. The funny bits fade out and are nonexistent in the latter half of the film, but the early parts managed to elicit a bunch of chuckles from the audience I was seeing it with and myself.
Of course, you need to be fluent in Japanese and familiar enough with Japan to get most of this, which is why a lot of English reviews online are "it's all talking not enough monsters fighting wahhhh".
>>
>mfw Shinya Tsukamoto in the trailers
>>
>>14596844
Another leftist piece of shit. Fuck your precious proletariat.
>>
File: 1470124063544.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1470124063544.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>14597240
Wew lad...
>>
>>14597240

What is Doritos Powder?
>>
>>14597257

That gross flavor powder you get all over your fingers after you eat Doritos.
>>
>>14597257
http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/japan-box-office-shin-godzilla-second-weekend-win-1201832574/
>>
>>14597170
do the faggy leftwingers banging on drums get BTFO?
>>
>>14597267

Pretty sure everyone on all sides of the political spectrum get BTFO in this movie given what we know.
>>
File: 1469057597181-2.jpg (21KB, 330x377px) Image search: [Google]
1469057597181-2.jpg
21KB, 330x377px
>>14597111
>Being so autisticlly political you can't tell obvious funposting from shitposting.
And this is why real people laugh at tumblrinas.

>>14597170
>Of course, you need to be fluent in Japanese and familiar enough with Japan to get most of this, which is why a lot of English reviews online are "it's all talking not enough monsters fighting wahhhh".
That's why I'd like a few sources on people like Ragone and Lees saying they hate the movie--surely to god these people who have been fans of japanese movies for longer than most of /m/ has been alive would pick up on the social, political, and cultural climate of the country now and again to recognize satire from seriousness.
>>
>>14597045
The US version had to walk a tightrope to get made. Not just with the average studio micromanaging and Toho autism, but they probably didn't want to risk another 98 fiasco.

Anno got to work with the knowledge that the public was ready for more Godzilla so probably felt more encouraged to go all out with his vision.

The question now is how Toho plans to screw this up.
>>
>>14597284

>Being so autistically political that you can't tell that a post featuring a Peter Sellers reaction image is meant to be a funpost

anon pls
>>
>>14597050
Ma nigga
>>
File: 1469735256394.gif (1MB, 393x281px) Image search: [Google]
1469735256394.gif
1MB, 393x281px
>>14597267
>>14597274
From the sound of it conservatives can't adapt, liberals can't accept bitter reality, youth don't take the situation seriously enough, etc. It's as cynical and extreme as Godzilla vs Hedorah, which also borrows a great deal from Gojira.
>>
>>14597288
>how Toho plans to screw this up

a) A series of formulaic sequels that disappoint everybody

b) we get what happened with Tim Burton and Batman Returns with Anno being allowed to go hogwild for the sequel, and the result gets unfairly shit on for being too different
>>
>>14597303
*claps*
USA USA USA
>>
File: 1465696519358.jpg (340KB, 1032x588px) Image search: [Google]
1465696519358.jpg
340KB, 1032x588px
>>14597292
Considering the shitshow that was the last thread, it pays to throw the first commie.

Speaking of, as fun as it was to watch some idiot write blog posts defending ghostbusters, keep the color commentary down just a bit.
Godzilla movies might have political slants, but Godzilla himself is a-political as it gets. hard to be in any party when you crush the convention and kill your candidate via radiation poisoning.
>>
>>14597329
Fuck, now I need an asuka toy to ride my Monsterarts Ghidorah.
>>
>>14595712
I learned that if you have a camera for a head, a man with a police light for a head will prison rape you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT7ijnOHEDs
>>
>>14597329
Truley, Godzilla was out greatest president.
>>
>>14597170
Oh, hey, Yebisu beer. Good stuff.
>>
>>14595712
The film hits Taiwan on the 12th, should we expect a rip then?
>>
>>14597354
God I hope so.
>>
>>14597329
Trump is clearly Godzilla if you think about.
>>
>>14597387
Nah, Trump is Hedorah.
>>
File: 1470536308060.png (255KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1470536308060.png
255KB, 500x375px
>>14597329
That moment when you realize Godzilla's Revenge and the last two episodes of NGE are the same. Japanese youth learns valuable life lessons from daydreaming and uses said lessons to overcome some preestablished overwhelming difficulty. Both recycle footage due to time and budget limitations. And both are controversial. Bravo, Anno.
>>
>>14597387
>Trumpzilla vs Carsonguirus
>Trumpzilla vs Berniegon
>Trumpzilla vs Hillary Rodan Clinton
>>
>>14597420
Hillary Bill and Obama are the three cackling heads of Ghidorah being lead by Soros the Controller
>>
File: FSIT19b.jpg (161KB, 933x732px) Image search: [Google]
FSIT19b.jpg
161KB, 933x732px
>>14597420
>Hilary Rodan Clinton
>>
>>14597415
No, that'd be hillary with the number of STD,s tumors, and blood clots she carries.

>>14597427
Or this.

>>14597418
I need to stop coming here, you're making things way too fucking real anon.
>>
>>14597448
>Giving a shit about anything makes you a manchild
>Giving a shit about the people responsible for creatign your favorites movies makes you a manchild
>Wanting to share that knowledge with other fans makes you a manchild
I want /krg/ to leave, this fruit invasion is getting annoying.
>>
We need a full compilation of Godzilla's powers over the years.

Atomic Breath
Atomic Mist
Flight
Flying Kick
Super healing
Magnetic field
Nuclear Pulse
Martial Arts
Tail Beam
Spinal Beam Spam

Add as you wish.
>>
>>14597509
Replace Martial Arts with Pro Wrestling Moves

Also does Asexual reproduction count as a super power?
>>
>>14597509
Fire breath and laser vision if we include HB Godzilla. And does the Godzilland version also breathe fire? I don't quite recall.
>>
>>14597509
6th sense? Doesn't he always know where to go and can sense threats in the surrounding area (especially ShinGoji)?
>>
>>14597509

Can actually talk if you run him through a translator

Can pretty much show up out of nowhere

Higher reasoning skills at least on the level of a chimp

Invulnerable to time paradoxes

Can survive inhospitable conditions
>>
>>14597418
Resurgence is the Evangelion of toku?
>>
>>14597587
Godzilla Island Godzilla can alter his beams trajectory midfire.
>>
>>14597509
A firm handshake,
>>
>>14597509
Maybe something like a bite that releases a slow-acting poison
>>
Guys.
The Japanese emperor is going to abdicate.
A new Godzilla era is incoming.
>>
>>14596844
it makes the bourgeoisie and government think they have more in common with the working class of their respective country as well, that's the point
>>
>>14597966

Just perfect to name the new series that this movie is going to spawn.
>>
>>14595636
So it's not even top 10?
>>
>>14597509
Supernatural Durability and Reorganizer G.

Godzilla that was in Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack! was reduced to a heart and still somehow survived.

And then we have Reorganizer G that grants Big G his insane regenerating powers.
>>
File: CpBN7GmVMAA8gnm.jpg (133KB, 848x1199px)
CpBN7GmVMAA8gnm.jpg
133KB, 848x1199px
>>14598066
If Shin Godzilla can maintain current trajectory, it could very well dethrone Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II (1993) as the tenth most successful film in the franchise. So yes, top ten.
>>
>>14598135
but... top ten? Only?
>>
>>14597170
Does it have people on 2ch shitposting about Godzilla attacking?

> Godzilla is attacking Tokyo holy shit, Japan is doomed!
> GOOD THING I'M IN OSAKA wwwwww
> [meme image of subtitled Detective Conan saying 'Typical Kansai Behavior']
>>
>>14597665
That's some Darkseid level bullshit. I love it.
>>
>>14597999
>The throne goes to the Emperor's American raised cousin, Melvin.
>>
>>14597045
Anno was reluctant to take on the project because he didn't know if he could approach the quality of the original.

Edwards was reluctant to show you Godzilla
>>
>>14598146
Cracking top five would require another million and a half ticket sales. I doubt anything is going to beat the top four again.
>>
>>14598158

The Melvin Era
>>
>>14598169
Sort of pathetic really.
>>
File: tail.jpg (1MB, 2681x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tail.jpg
1MB, 2681x1200px
>>
>>14598173
There's nothing pathetic about 7 million plus tickets sold on an island of 125 million people. Getting 4 million tickets sold is pretty respectable. Considering that in 1960, Japan's population was only 92.5 million, Godzilla vs King Kong's success is actually pretty staggering.
>>
>>14597329
Do you think Gendo knows his wife is cheating on him with Godzilla?
>>
>>14598173
How is that pathetic? For the first Japanese film in twelve years these are strong numbers. Toho has to build the fanbase back up.

And international there's still the international boost to look forward to. This will be Toho's widest ever.
>>
>>14598177
>On that day, mankind received a grim reminder.
>>
May as well ask ITT.

So, /m/, I want to watch a Godzilla movie but am relatively new to Godzilla. I am about to watch one now. I've limited my choices to:

>Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla
>Godzilla vs. Destroyah
>Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla

Which one should I watch?
>>
>>14598213
All of those are bad choices to start out on, but vs destroyah is the best one of those over all.

Avoid vs Spacegodzilla at all costs.
>>
File: gxg.jpg (68KB, 580x811px) Image search: [Google]
gxg.jpg
68KB, 580x811px
>>14598213
>>
>>14598213

You really should start Heisei with G84 but if you limited your options to those Destroyah is the best option, then Mecha, then Space.
>>
>>14598218
I've seen GMK, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and 2014 already.

Should I watch the original if I can find it?
>>
>>14598213
None of those, especially not Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla. Godzilla vs Destroyah is more meaningful after you've watched more of the series.

My shortlist:
Gojira (54)
Godzilla vs King Kong
Mothra vs Godzilla (64)
Godzilla vs Biollante

If you have to go with one of the ones you picked, either go with Godzilla against MechaGodzilla or vs Destroyah, SpaceGodzilla is fucking trash.
>>
>>14598213
Godzilla vs. Destroyah is the best but it's the last in the Heisei series and has continuity with prior films. Against MechaG is the most newbie friendly and is fairly decent.

SpaceGodzilla is a love it or hate it movie
>>
>>14598173
>>14598183
>>14598193
Depending on how tough competition is during the second half of the year, Shin Godzilla could earn itself a spot on the top five or top ten highest grossing films of 2016 for the Japanese box office. Additionally, it would be Anno's second most successful film. Behind only Evangelion 3.0. And if the budget for Shin Godzilla was only $10 million, I'm sure Toho is quite satisfied with these numbers.

>>14598213
Those are all bad choices. SpaceGodzilla is just a bad movie plain and simple.

G54, GMK, Honda's 60s trilogy (MvG, Ghidorah, MZ) and G2000 are good places to start.
>>
>>14598223
>Should I watch the original if I can find it?
Yes.
>>
>>14598223
>if I can find it
just google "gojira 1954 torrent" and look for the criterion version
>>
>>14598231
Does that version have any additional features compared to classic media's?
>>
>>14598244
https://www.criterion.com/films/27755-godzilla

>New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
>New high-definition digital restoration of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Terry Morse’s 1956 reworking of the original, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
>Audio commentary for both movies by film historian David Kalat
^^^This is pretty nice for subsequent viewings.
>>
>>14598252
Thanks, needed to see if it was worth buying again.

>Kalat
I refuse to believe that is a real name.
>>
>>14598266
If you look at the site you see a lot more besides those 3.
His name reminds me of the Kilaks from Destroy all Monsters
>>
>>14598213
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is the most entertaining out of those and has better special effects than the other two. It also has best Mechagodzilla and best Godzilla girl.
>>
>>14598284
Its such an unnatural fusion of syllables, like the retarded yankee version of a Lovecraft god.
>>
>>14598297
>yankee
>Lovecraft
Well y'see
>>
File: gvss7.jpg (43KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
gvss7.jpg
43KB, 853x480px
>>14598288
But best mechagodzilla is Showa MechaG, and best godzilla girl is pic related
>>
>>14598302
Yankee implies New Englander of low social status, heritage, and upbringing. Lovecraft hated his low IQ white peers just as much as he hated niggers and pollacks.
>>
>>14598304
Personally I like Terror of Mechagodzilla the best but it's all pretty good
>>
File: Namikawa 2.jpg (53KB, 397x554px) Image search: [Google]
Namikawa 2.jpg
53KB, 397x554px
>>14598304
Fuck you.
>>
>>14598315
same actress dude
>>
File: Namikawa.jpg (227KB, 1162x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Namikawa.jpg
227KB, 1162x1599px
>>14598327
Different characters dude.
>>
File: rawwr.jpg (43KB, 333x500px)
rawwr.jpg
43KB, 333x500px
>>14598304
> Best Godzilla girl
Miki works too. But only in her debut film (Godzilla vs Biollante )
>>
>>14598330
Oh, if you go by characters then I agree.
>>
File: Miki.jpg (38KB, 488x742px) Image search: [Google]
Miki.jpg
38KB, 488x742px
>>14598332
>>
>>14598332
Agreed.

Actually she was cute as fuck in SpaceGodzilla.
>>
File: are you a martian too.jpg (108KB, 458x750px) Image search: [Google]
are you a martian too.jpg
108KB, 458x750px
I also offer the princess and prophetess, Selina.
>>
>>14598403
Jee-zus Christmas.
>>
File: image.jpg (172KB, 1024x708px)
image.jpg
172KB, 1024x708px
Which kaiju would be the best pet if shrunken down to the size of a dog
>>
>>14598530
Baragon
>>
>>14598530
King Caesar or Baragon. Anguilas would be a good guarddog.
>>
>>14598229

Spacegodzilla is entertainingly bad, though.
>>
>>14598547
Somewhat of a marvelous douche.

Hoping that one day he'll return to pester Godzilla.

Maybe he'll appear if Anno includes him in a future Shin Godzilla movie?
>>
>>14598530
gamera
>>
Can someone explain to me why vs Spacegodzilla is so bad?

I watched it a couple weeks ago and I was throroughly entertained.
>>
>>14598403

W-Woah

Who the fuck is this
>>
>>14598615

Not Ifukube OST and a little more childish than the rest of Heisei, it is still very enjoyable.
>>
>>14598593
ditto.

Though the closest we get to a Gamera Pet is a Sulcata tortoise (which plays a part in the "Gamera the Brave")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd43P2UwZIQ
>>
>>14598403
(mm)
>>14596773
Is that really Miyazaki?
>>
File: Suits 1.jpg (124KB, 756x799px) Image search: [Google]
Suits 1.jpg
124KB, 756x799px
>>
File: Suits 2.jpg (110KB, 735x800px)
Suits 2.jpg
110KB, 735x800px
>>
File: Suits 3.jpg (96KB, 665x800px)
Suits 3.jpg
96KB, 665x800px
>>
File: Suits 4.jpg (101KB, 722x799px) Image search: [Google]
Suits 4.jpg
101KB, 722x799px
>>
File: Suits 5.jpg (106KB, 703x800px) Image search: [Google]
Suits 5.jpg
106KB, 703x800px
>>
File: Suits 6.jpg (113KB, 742x800px)
Suits 6.jpg
113KB, 742x800px
>>
File: Suits 7.jpg (103KB, 706x800px)
Suits 7.jpg
103KB, 706x800px
>>
File: Suits 8.jpg (138KB, 753x800px) Image search: [Google]
Suits 8.jpg
138KB, 753x800px
>>
File: Suits 9.jpg (103KB, 758x800px) Image search: [Google]
Suits 9.jpg
103KB, 758x800px
>>
File: Suits 20.jpg (412KB, 1600x1200px)
Suits 20.jpg
412KB, 1600x1200px
>>
File: suits 18.jpg (50KB, 402x600px)
suits 18.jpg
50KB, 402x600px
>>
>>14598625
Bullshit, it's the retarded cousin of the heisei series and anyone's life is improved by avoiding it.
>>
>>14598642
What are those pores on her sides supposed to be, some kind of breathing mechanism? And are the hairs supposed to be little legs?
>>
>>14598720
Pretty sure they're ventilation for the suit actor. Basically, the guy would enter the larva suit, where it had a bar at the front near the head and the actor would push and pull the bar to operate the head while the production team used pulleys and cables to drag the larva across the set (there are wheels hidden underneath the costume to slide it across surfaces).
>>
>>14596314

Why does the beam change from focused purple laser to orange flame thrower when it switches to the long shot of the burning city?
>>
>>14598763

The shots are from two different scenes.

He has a purple beam that is basically a laser cutter.

Then he has an orange one that ignites smog and it makes things explode and burn.
>>
File: Mothra suit.jpg (35KB, 804x352px)
Mothra suit.jpg
35KB, 804x352px
>>14598755
Only the 1961 Mothra larvae had actors in it. Rest were remote controlled, pulled by wires or hand puppets. The suit for 1961 Mothra was over 30 feet long.
>>
>>14598770

Hmm that's pretty interesting.
Thanks.
>>
>>14598779
So just details to make her look more realistic then.
>>
>>14598660
Damn these guys aged good, wonder what their secret is
>>
>>14598813
*old photos
>>
>>14598813
>>14598829
MechaGodzilla still exists.
>>
>>14598779
Ah, okay. I know that the Heisei Mothra and Battra larva were suit actors. Dunno about the Rebirth series or Tokyo S.O.S. and GFW, though.
>>
>>14598838
Heisei Larva Mothra was done exactly the same as the showa one. Just better remote control.
>>
>>14598878
No... I know for a fact that it was a suit because I have the 'Making of...' on videotape. The Battra larva was shown opening up in the back and they showed one of the suit actors entering and using the bar in the suit to move.
>>
>>14598897
Heisei Larva Mothra =/= Battra Larva.
>>
>>14598897
Battra larva was fat enough for someone to fit inside her suit, Mothra not so much.
>>
Cute!
>>
File: 727172727172.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
727172727172.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>14595636
The Obun Festival will be this weekend in Japan and movies generally do better business during this period. Since Shin Godzilla is still holding strong, hitting the $40 million mark is a given at this point and $60 million isn't out of the question. If it manages to reach the latter goal, that would place the film around Ebirah (Godzilla vs the Sea Monster) levels of admissions. Ebirah is the 7th highest attended Godzilla film to date.

Toho executives must be escastic right about now.
>>
What is the godzilla timeline? Is each era it's own continuity?
>>
>>14599161
I think there's some continuity between the explicit reboots, but don't quote me on that.
>>
>>14599161
Showa and Heisei are fully developed timelines, the Millennium series is an anthology series where each film (except the Mechagodzilla ones) is a standalone feature branching out from the original in some way.

Shin Godzilla is a full reboot.
>>
>>14599161
1954 is it's own movie.
Showa is it's own branch off 1954 movie.
Heisei is sequel to 1954
1999, 2000,2001,2002-03, 2004,2014, 2016 are all either standalones or sequels to 1954.
>>
>>14599161
Showa: Godzilla (1954) - Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975)

This is a loosely connected timeline. Destroy All Monsters (1968) is set at the end.

Heisei: Return of Godzilla (1984)- Godzilla vs Destoroyah (1995)
Straightforward and continuity heavy.

Millennium: Godzilla 2000 (1999) - Godzilla Final Wars (2004)
A bunch of different alternate timelines with no connection to each other (though each film is usually tied to G54). However, Tokyo SOS (2003) is a direct sequel to Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla (2002) and it incorporates films like Mothra and Gargantuas into its timeline.
>>
File: 1467561771848.png (2MB, 1024x2819px) Image search: [Google]
1467561771848.png
2MB, 1024x2819px
>>14599161
Here you go. Most movies use the '54 original as a root and branch off from there. Shin Gojira isn't pictured but it's also a standalone film
>>
>>14599161
Heisei and Showa are their own continuities. Each movie in the Millennium Series (aside from Tokyo SOS, which is a follow up to its predecessor) is in its own continuity. Every film thus far acknowledges that '54 occurred, but aside from that, each series is self contained.

Some of the Millennium movies pick and choose a couple of other movies to include in continuity, but they really aren't important to understanding the movie.
>>
File: kiryu timeline.jpg (75KB, 449x565px)
kiryu timeline.jpg
75KB, 449x565px
>>14599184
>>
File: kiryu timeline 2.jpg (76KB, 449x565px)
kiryu timeline 2.jpg
76KB, 449x565px
>>14599205
>>
>>14599069
Artist?
>>
File: Kiryu timeline 3.jpg (67KB, 461x603px) Image search: [Google]
Kiryu timeline 3.jpg
67KB, 461x603px
>>14599211
And keep in mind, Kiryu's time line also wanted to include Anguirus.
And a bunch of kaiju DNA was put in a freezer at the end of the film.
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 610x578px)
image.jpg
88KB, 610x578px
>>14599184
>all the other monsters, and Varan
>>
Anyone have a link to that fight scene compilation that was posted here a few threads ago?
>>
>>14599227
It must really suck to be Varan.
>>
File: image.jpg (968KB, 1214x944px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
968KB, 1214x944px
remember that time when godzilla saved the pandas and then decapitated manda with his bare hands
>>
>>14599254
I feel like there should be a version of the Gadsden flag with Manda on it instead
>>
>>14599303
>Don't tread on me
>And I won't tread on you!
>>
>>14599184
>>14599183
>>14599172
Are the mothra trilogy films part of the heisei continuity? From what film series do they spin off of?
>>
>>14599462
iirc, the mothra films happen during heisei after Godzilla vs Mothra
>>
>>14599254
>Pandas in Easter Island
>>
>>14599469
cool, so heisei has 3 ghidoras? The one that becomes mecha, desghidora, and prehistoric/grand king? Does that mean the dorat/ghidora monsters are a a distinct species and not just a standalone monster? That'd be neat, I wonder if they have a culture/civilization out there in space somewhere?
>>
File: Don't tread on manda.jpg (1MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Don't tread on manda.jpg
1MB, 2000x1333px
>>14599374
Quickly, someone photoshop this text in before a weiner tries to say the flag is racist.
>>
>>14599485
All I know is the one that keeps coming back is the biggest cock-bite in the galaxy.
>>
>>14599485
>The Dorians are actually a very peaceful and kind race of space faring relief workers who repair decaying orbits with their gravity powers.

>But only the ones with two heads.
>>
>>14599489
too late
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/08/03/wearing-dont-tread-on-me-insignia-could-be-punishable-racial-harassment/
>>
>>14599505
>those with two heads are balanced in their opinions, those with one or three sway the balance or have none at all, causing chaos, and are exiled by their culture to secluded areas of space thought either uninhabited or dominated by worse monsters.
>the reason ghidoras keep raiding earth is because the dorian race dumps its convicts there
>>
>>14599524
Fucking bastards, we aren't their Australia.
>>
>>14599485
That's what the series seems to imply. I mean, from the Mothra series alone, we have two separate and distinct Ghidorahs.
>>
>>14599552
also a good handful of monsters of which godzilla itself is directly or indirectly responsible for..
-Godzilla Proper
-Mechagodzilla
-Biollante
-Space Godzilla
-Destroyah

>>14598177
haha holy shit, speaking of monsters derived from godzilla
>>
>retard mod deleted the posts on Miyazaki for no reason even though the pics are FROM THE MOVIE
>>
>>14599579
And men are responsible for Godzilla, MechaG, Biollante and Destroyah. Derivation is not responsibility.
>>
>>14599595
Not responsible as in actively took part in their creation, no, but you know what I mean. I suppose it's more accurate to say Godzilla's existence is responsible, but this is a little unnecessary to argue word usage, the idea being conveyed is at least 5, maybe 6 monsters if you include post-meltdown Godzilla jr, would not have existed without the events of godzilla 54's rampage. And that's neat, having godzilla be some sort of extended parent to an entire generation of monsters within its own series, only to systematically destroy them one-by-one save the last is kinda a nice quality to the narrative.
>>
>>14599069
Another fan of chanta I see
>>
Will we ever get Gigan in the Legendary movies?

Also recommended Gigan?
>>
>>14599692

All Gigans are beautiful.
>>
>>14599692
seeing as gigan is a robut and mutos take design inspiration from him, I would not be surprised to see a cyber muto in the third movie, revived from the first ala heisei mechagodzilla, called G.I.G.A.N
>>
When is Mothra coming back?

She's the cutest.
>>
>>14599707
Gigan is a cybernetic, sociopathic kaiju with a friggin' chainsaw right in the middle of his chest and belly. And he's hired by aliens. I've always felt like he was probably a little too 'out there' for Legendary's Godzilla franchise. Though I'd love to see him.

More original kaiju wouldn't be bad either.
>>
File: 5356937442_2604f7fd91_b.jpg (834KB, 721x1024px) Image search: [Google]
5356937442_2604f7fd91_b.jpg
834KB, 721x1024px
Judging by the internet opinions I expected the late 80s to mid 90s revival to be really good, but I'm watching them and I dunno if I want to keep going.

1984 was alright I guess but nothing special.

Biollante was really close to being good and it felt like it had some genuine passion behind it, but it had some flaws, the biggest one being the absolutely awful ending that almost felt like a "fuck you" to Toho for not letting them use the original, genuinely epic (I hate what the internet did to this word) one where Godzilla dies in this huge sequence that ceases to be "special effects" and becomes full-blown 2D animation.

A guy on /m/ said that after Biollante's failure the special effects director became an alcoholic and stopped putting any effort into his Godzilla work from Ghidorah onwards; this could very well be a 4chan creator headcanon based on half-truths or lies (see also: "Hirohiki Araki hates the Jojo OVAs" or "Osamu Kobayashi was a Gainax employee who was fired because they all hated Gurren Lagann episode 4") but I would not be surprised if it WERE true after all because holy crap, this movie looks absolutely careless. There are smaller things hinting that they just didn't give a damn but the most overt one is in Ghidorah's first rampage where they forgot to draw his beam attack and he just blows up a bridge by bobbing his heads up and down.

Where did they even piss away the supposed (according to wiki at least) 12 million dollar budget? The 90s Gamera trilogy was made with significantly less money and the monster scenes look way better.
>>
>>14600303
>late 80s
meant mid 80s god dammit
>>
>>14600303
If I were here I would have warned you. The Heisei movies are dull and lazy in every aspect. I stopped liking them after King Ghidorah. Only watch them when there are no other Godzilla movies to watch.

And the thing about Kawakita is true, it's been a bit of fan trivia that I always knew before I ever knew about 4chan. It wasn't just Biollante, but Gunhed, which came out the same year (and had some decent effects work from Kawakita and a great atmosphere). Both bombed in the box office. Apparently after that Kawakita "drank like he wanted to die."

But hey, he got over it. And the nineties Godzilla movies after that won awards for effects (somehow).
>>
>>14600352
The Biollante monster scenes could've been handled better as far as subject matter goes (I wanted a fight in the city instead of over water and then on a boring flat surface) but they looked genuinely good from a technical standpoint and Biollante herself was wonderful in the way she moved and took damage and whatnot. It looked like genuine effort and love went into it and it's the kind of thing I point to when people say later kaiju are only made ironically to be "intentionally shitty and make fun of how '54 Godzilla aged" or w/e.

Ghidorah's monster scenes also have this ugly muddy color scheme too which just makes them boring. I've not watched it in maybe two years but I honestly recall the Ghidorah scenes in the '64 film looking better; the film was one of the wacky ones so they were more comedic, but they were comedic in an intentional way and not a "whoops, we forgot to draw Ghidorah's beams" way.

Actually I'm gonna look through the '64 film in a bit just to see how the scenes hold up in comparison.
>>
>>14600372
As for why Ghidorah won that award... maybe as lazy as it was, it really was the best-looking effects-focused film of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32BGb2rx65s

...to be fair as cheap as this is, it looks more creative and cool than Ghidorah.
>>
>>14600372
Biollante has some pretty good effects, yet it does pale to what Nakano did with G 85. The signs of the eventual downfall are there. And I always noticed the muddy colors too. Didn't bother me, because it made the film feel older and vintage (maybe what they were going for?) but Ghidorah himself pales in comparison to the 60s one. They can't seem to do what was done way better thirty years prior.

>>14600377
And then Gamera and Higuchi came and blew all that away.
>>
File: godzilla reaction face.png (582KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
godzilla reaction face.png
582KB, 1280x544px
Oh and I also feel the 2002 and 2003 movies are pretty underrated. Godzilla x Mechagodzilla's action could've been directed more excitingly but the human stuff worked much better than it did in other movies of its type, and Tokyo SOS was just a very well put together children's film. The action was great fun and I felt that the story succeeded in everything it set out to do; the "humanity's greatest horrors are self-inflicted" message worked and the characters were likable and you wanted to see them prevail. It was far more coherent than something like Biollante which I see as far more internet-approved.
>>
>>14600396
>Biollante has some pretty good effects, yet it does pale to what Nakano did with G 85
How so? Maybe I'm just lacking the knowledge but I recall a lot of it looking rushed. Godzilla's eyes are positioned and shot in a way that makes him look retarded in multiple scenes and I specifically remember the lasers being fired at him in one scene being really badly animated. The miniatures also didn't look very detailed.
>>
>>14599242
The only unbelievable thing about Varan was that he even got into DAM
>>
>>14600406
Mainly the miniatures. And the sense of scale. Look at the shot of Godzilla walking down the street before he nukes the helicopter.

Kawakita's miniatures are even less detailed. And Godzilla never feels quite as big as he did in 84.
>>
>>14600401
Ever consider you just have shit taste?
>>
>>14600372

Ghidorah's just an ugly looking movie, period. Biollante on the other hand had genuine atmosphere. The fact that they were made by the same team is sorta depressing.
>>
>>14600420
Taste = knowing what you like and having the knowledge, ability and observational sense to explain said opinions

Lack of taste = liking or disliking things because the internet tells you to and responding to reading disagreements online like a foot-stomping child

Try and figure out which one you are.
>>
>>14600303
You really wanted Biollante to end with an anime scene where she eats his anger and turns him into a hero? Fuck off.
>>
>>14600435
>eats his anger and turns him into a hero
I only saw this Youtube clip and didn't get that from it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrqCX10yJw

If that's what actually happened then I guess that's also pretty retarded
>>
>>14600430
Biollante has been my favorite since before I even went on the internet. Don't pull this "I'm an intellectual with sophisticated objectively correct views and you are merely a dumb sheep" bullshit here.
The irony is I bet you're the same sort of guy who goes into /krg/ and bitches about how the only people who enjoy Showa Riders are special snowflake hipsters trying tobe different.
>>
>>14600441

She was supposed to destroy his aggression or something but Toho rightfully decided to keep him as an aggressive beast and not turn him back into a good guy.
>>
File: 1470604845798.gif (129KB, 500x385px)
1470604845798.gif
129KB, 500x385px
>>14600303
The 90s Heisei films are thoroughly mediocre films. You're probably going to despise Mothra and SpaceGodzilla. And G84 is dull film with an often awkward looking Godzilla design.

Have you tried some of the first several Godzilla films? Gojira, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah, and Monster Zero? These were all directed by Ishiro Honda and are pretty fantastic. They have great English versions too and that's usually how I prefer watching them.

For more recent entries, Godzilla 2000 and GMK are the strongest.
>>
>>14600455
People who recommend Showa toku in general make me laugh.
>>
>>14600445
Nigger there are 60s Ultraman episodes that I think work better as a cohesive whole than Biollante. But okay, try to argue with my points if you want.

I think Biollante as a monster was more impressive than anything in Tokyo SOS but beyond that I feel that the action just wasn't that interesting. Too much of it took place on water which didn't allow for very interesting shot composition and there were long scenes that were just Godzilla stomping around or destroying things done in a way that didn't differentiate itself enough from other scenes of Godzilla doing the same. The Biollante fight scenes would've benefited from taking place in less barren areas, but I'll admit they were pretty good.

The human & narrative element felt really confused. At times it felt like it was taking itself genuiely seriously and almost worked but then there were these moments where it seemed like they were defending themselves with a self-awareness/irony "we know we're being cheesy lol" shield. None of the scenes had as much impact as, say, the scene where Gamera & the Gyaos go into outer-space in Gamera '95 (full blown silliness) or the one where Gamera fights the Gyaos in Shibuya in '99 (full-blown seriousness) because it didn't feel like it fully dedicated itself to either drama or campiness.

The ending was horribly bad. Godzilla just returning to the sea and everyone acting as if everything will be ok (despite making such a huge deal about how, if Godzilla is out of energy, he'll just restock from a nuclear plant) was stupid, not in a stupid-cool way like, for example, the little kid pulling off some Nazca Line-tier shit to summon Mothra in Tokyo SOS. It was anti-climactic and boring.
>>
>>14600460
People who recommend Heisei toku in general are statistically fourteen and have to taste in film.
>>
>>14600469
Yeah I guess that's why so much Showa toku is subbed, people are just clamoring for it in droves. Hey what's the progress on the 98 episode shitheap called 1971 Kamen Rider? Making good progress huh? The fans are just hype as fuck for it!
>>
>>14600460
Yes, let's knock films for the time in which they were made and not judge them on their own merits. What would you recommend? Maybe the Heisei films, consisting of overweight beam spamming monsters, tiring human drama, and effects that regularly look worse than those of films that came thirty years earlier?

I bet you're one of those people who think films aren't worth watching because they were made prior to the 90s/2000s.
>>
>>14600465
>then there were these moments where it seemed like they were defending themselves with a self-awareness/irony "we know we're being cheesy lol"

I have no idea what you're talking about. The only thing that comes to mind if when Goro makes the one liner to Godzilla after shooting him in the mouth then gets killed right afterwards and even that seemed to be mocking the glib quipping action hero thing that has only gotten more popular these days.
Also what would you have preferred when Godzilla returned to the sea? The humans had exhausted all their options and the movie was over, Godzilla also clearly was just fucking off for the moment like the majority of all the damn movies.
>>
>>14600493

'54 is overrated by the internet
>>
File: mothra.png (630KB, 1280x544px)
mothra.png
630KB, 1280x544px
>>14600465
To elaborate: I liked 2002 because it was a straightforward story that had nothing overtly wrong with it. MC's redemption story gave a basic yet effective reason to want to see her right her wrongs. I cared more about her by the end than I did about the guy who made Biollante.

I liked 2003 even more because the action scenes were more visually creative. The human characters were genuinely charming; the tension between "we shouldn't play God with Godzilla's soul" vs. "we need to defend Japan" was nice especially in regards to the protagonist and the main family's interactions were charming enough to get you to care about them just enough to give everything a likable enough human element to not make me think "fuck, just get to the monsters already". The entire climax with the human protagonist getting stuck & returning both Godzilla and Mechagodzilla to the water was great. The idea that the old Godzilla's bones were what angered the new Godzilla & made him fuck everything up to begin worked really well to get the core message of the Godzilla series across, along with Kiryu's suicide.
>>14600455
>1954
I have this really turboautistic thing where I save films considered classics by everyone (except Roger Ebert who says it's awful, but he never understood kaiju on any level and gave '95 Gamera an "ironic" good score without even realizing how much better it looks than the old stuff) for when I feels "right" to see them. From all the clips I've seen & everything I've read though it looks fantastic.

Mothra & Ghidorah were nice-to-great depending on the scene; I've not seen Monster Zero yet but I actually wasn't going to; I had no idea it was the same director. Now I'll have to watch that one too along with '54.

The next 2000s one I intend to watch is GMK as it looks very fun and I hear it shares a bunch of staff with the 90s Gamera films (seems like it has little Higuchi influence though which makes me sad since I love Higuchi).
>>
File: sos.png (633KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
sos.png
633KB, 1280x544px
What was the most objectionable part of this post >>14600401, the fact that I liked Mechagodzilla & 2002 Tokyo SOS (are they particularly hated or something?) or the way I was dismissive of Biollante?

Because if it's the latter then....
>>14600493
>>14600465
There were aspects I really liked about Biollante. As I said before Biollante looked fantastic and the build-up to her appearance was done very well. The whole "Godzilla threat level" thing was a really cool directorial choice. Some of the genre self-awareness was subtle and funny.

I'd say the best elements of Biollante were better than the best elements of Tokyo SOS, but the reason Biollante annoyed me so much to begin with is that it could've been AMAZING but just didn't get there in my opinion.
>>14600508
Sorry, deleted and reposted because I fucked up my spoilers.

It's not just "the internet", film critics generally like it too. Ebert is the only one who seems to act as if it's generally accepted that it's a bad film and it was bad even when it came out and people only like it "ironically".

I think I'd like it from all the clips I've seen & what I've read. I hugely doubt I'll watch it and think "wow this is a piece of shit".
>>
File: CoySPybUIAEgoQz.png (2MB, 950x1100px) Image search: [Google]
CoySPybUIAEgoQz.png
2MB, 950x1100px
>>14600508
(You)

>>14600509
Another movie I have strong feelings towards is Godzilla vs Hedorah. Personally, I consider it one of the better entries in the franchise. Though I'm aware it can be fairly divisive. You're probably either going to love it or hate it. One of those kinds of films. The eccentricity of it compensates for some of its traditional storytelling or filmmaking flaws in my opinion.
>>
>>14600401
Catzilla is CUTE.
>>
File: gameraeye.png (462KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
gameraeye.png
462KB, 720x540px
>>14600500
If stuff like the extremely cheesy looking scene of whatshername's face rising to the sky or the entire ending weren't hiding behind a "we're campy and silly" shield then I dunno what to say. Maybe I "just don't get it" but I'm someone who has a very high tolerance for Japanese things Americans find to be "cheepy camp"; I could get emotionally invested in Gamera '95 and I think Ebert's "it's so bad it's good, watch it to laugh at the camp xD" review of it was unbearable to watch. But some moments in Biollante just felt too ridiculous to be unintentional.
>>
>>14600532
Almost every film has its jarring moment or two though. Especially Godzilla films. Dismissing Biollante for a couple of scenes is a bit much.
>>
File: 1255101695257.jpg (34KB, 290x392px) Image search: [Google]
1255101695257.jpg
34KB, 290x392px
>>14600480
Western Heisei Rider fans are literally snotnosed liberal brats who despise anything made before Kuuga and whine about the lack of homolust and cheap plastic collectables in Showa on tumblr. I know most of the faggots in this thread are the same but you can kiss my ass too, especially these Heisei Gamera faglords who are gonna beat me over the head with MUH EFFECTS.
>>
>>14600532
For the record, since it's the same writer & director, the extremely liberal use of time travel in '91 Ghidorah ("Godzilla was erased from history, but we all remember him" for example) also felt to me like using "camp" as an excuse to not even have a coherent in-universe logic that's explained because "it's silly who cares lol".

In comparison I felt that in comparison, the 90s Gamera trilogy managed to balance the silliness of the concept with earnest storytelling and themes very well.
>>
>>14600538
See >>14600547

and also >>14600514

I didn't dismiss Biollante and I'm sorry for making it seem like I did in my initial post; I just feel it didn't come together well even if I loved certain parts of it. And while I think the whole 'monster movies are only made ironically' shit is retarded and Americans not undestanding that Japan don't care about realism, there's just something about Omori in particular that makes me think like he sometimes uses "camp" as a shield. I could be wrong, it's just a suspicion I have.

You know how Osamu Tezuka manga sometimes added visual gags in otherwise dead-serious scenes where they weren't needed? I got the same feeling from that, of refusing to dedicate yourself emotionally 100% to what you're making in case someone fails to take it seriously.
>>
>>14600540

Showa Rider is boring and derivative bit so was all toku back then. Let's not pretend now.
>>
>>14600552
Most Showa Riders are good for the first few Episodes, the few key moments during Mid series, then the last few episodes.

A lot tend to dragged horribly, and honestly should've been cut to at least 30ish episodes.
>>
>>14600561
Fuck off /krg/.
>>
>>14600540
I'm a "Heisei Gamera faggot" and I think 50s/60s Ultraman/Godzilla can be fun. But from what I've seen old-school Kamen Rider is really boring.

I dunno why it should be an "old vs. new" thing since the best effects in 90s Gamera were very old-school and the kind of thing people like Ebert went "lol hilarious so bad it's good dated shit xD" at. The CG was alright in Iris given the budget and outright shit in '95 (those missiles, goddamn); it's the more traditional elements like the miniatures, suits, animatronics and the hand-drawn effects like Legion's blasts & her whip attack that were really cool.
>>
>>14600565
>Tell the guy who believes that most Showa shows have interesting concepts, and a good amount of good episodes, but tend to be let down by the sheer amount of episodes to fuck off
>Not the guy who says "All Showa Rider is boring and derivative"

Sure ok.
>>
>>14600565
Because Heisei never drags right? Or does your ADD ridden mindset not realize because flashy lights were in your face?

>>14600568
Thanks for proving me right.

>>14600570
Don't pretend you're the former.
>>
>>14600571
I'm not pretending anything, I never said I was either of those posters.
>>
>>14600571
I'm the kind of person who's willing to have their mind changed; post some webms of well-executed memorable scenes of old-school KR and I'll reconsider. I've just seen the first episode of a few series.
>>
File: tumblr_obcqmfqZiz1vyvxxao1_500.png (350KB, 408x420px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_obcqmfqZiz1vyvxxao1_500.png
350KB, 408x420px
>>14600547
The time travel in GvKK actually makes sense.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007/08/16/godzilla-vs-king-ghidorah-time-travel-and-the-origins-of-godzilla/
>>
>>14600571
I'm a proponent for cutting down even Heisei Rider to shorter episode counts, to be honest.

There is almost never a reason that they all need to be high 40's to 50 episodes long.

Even my favorite Heisei Series, OOOs, had a bad slump near the end.
>>
File: 7539244.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
7539244.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>14600580
NO THANKS. Waste of time and energy. You can stay in your ignorant and elitist bubble where a flying turtle is the magnum opus of all tokusatsu and lowly peasants aren't fit to stand in your shadow.
>>
>>14600586
There definitely is a reason, and that's because it needs to be a year long for merchandise sales.

That's the only reason, and it's a big reason.
>>
>>14600586
>Wizard may have been a better series with fewer episodes.
>Drive, why did it need to be as long as it was?
>Ghost's Plot and show would've actually improved if it's series was only 30 episodes long.
>Amazons was pretty good, despite some problems.

It's like picking up and playing a game:
>Play the 80+ Hour RPG and only have a few good moments.
>Play the 1-5 hour Action game with high paced action and every moment is memorable.
>>
>>14600601
I just think they're good movies, not that they're the best. I've not seen nearly enough to be even close to judging what the best ever is.
>>
>>14600585
Haha I was just thinking about this article. Although the filmmakers definitely weren't thinking this, it does satisfy my autism.
>>
File: Jesus.gif (181KB, 405x414px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.gif
181KB, 405x414px
>>14600620
>Why was Gamera The Bravo switched to a more innocent looking design, instead of just a similar GotU Design?
>Why did they use a Stock Roar, instead of the actual Roar?
>Why was the movie okay, and not Good?
>>
>>14600636
Still better than most Heisei and Millennium Godzilla flicks. Would have definitely preferred a more mature looking Gamera and the iconic roar tho.
>>
File: MiMi.jpg (43KB, 400x424px) Image search: [Google]
MiMi.jpg
43KB, 400x424px
>>14600632
>That moment you realized that Godzilla Jr. is the reason why Japan become an economic superpower in the 22nd Century, forcing the events of GvsKK.
>>
File: 41570964.webm (3MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
41570964.webm
3MB, 720x480px
>>14600620
Then stop talking shit. Nobody here has to justify their taste to you as if you were some kind of authority.
So sorry I find Hongo Takeshi's struggles far more compelling than a giant fucking turtle.
>>
>>14600655
Despite Gamera just being a giant fucking turtle, he's a giant fucking turtle that's willing to sacrifice himself in order to protect humans.

Both have their own stories and both have their own sense of Justice, but what really matters is they fight for humanity's survival.

I'm just depressed that 70's Godzilla, Hongo, Gamera, and Ultraman never teamed up in order to fight Satan or some shit.
>>
>>14600610
Oh, of course. There's no doubting that.
>>
>>14600664
Nice deflection. We're not talking about the characters morals. The point is that watching a human (cyborg) struggle with his own dehumanization while trying to save mankind is going to be more compelling than a giant turtle fighting monsters no matter how much you want to jerk off to the effects. The director of the original Gamera even said the 90's movies tried too hard to be art.
>>
>>14600670
> The point is that watching a human (cyborg) struggle with his own dehumanization while trying to save mankind is going to be more compelling than a giant turtle fighting monsters no matter how much you want to jerk off to the effects.
So how well those things are executed doesn't even come into play, huh? One is inherently better than the other?

> The director of the original Gamera even said the 90's movies tried too hard to be art.
Let's not have high goals or strive to be more than what came before.
>>
>>14600670
I was speaking about both Showa and Heisei Gamera though?

>"The director of the original Gamera even said the 90's movies tried too hard to be art."
Same guy who literally made only two okay Monster films, and the rest being piles of shit?
>>
Japanese here.
Just got back from watching Shin Godzilla on the big screen for the 2nd time, and boy does it hold up to repeated viewings. Some scenes I even enjoyed more the 2nd time!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, while my memory is still fresh.

Meanwhile, I'll be dumping my thoughts on the movie so spoiler warning, obviously.
>>
>>14595574
>Same guy who literally made only two okay Monster films, and the rest being piles of shit?

This. Yuaasa was a horrible director. He may have been a great guy, but literally the only good film he made was Gamera vs. Gyaos.

Gamera vs. Barugon was the best Showa Gamera film and he didn't even direct it.
>>
>>14600693
Draw a picture of how the Tail looked during the ending.
So far I've only seen one image of reference.

Worse/Weakest part of the film?
What is the most used Roar for Godzilla?
>>
>>14600693
Ooh. I don't even know where to begin.

I was happy to see the puppet used in a lot of the clips I saw. It looks better than just a quick close-up here and there. But what about the miniatures? I know there is crumbling miniatures, but is it significantly less than other Godzilla films? I like my analog city destruction.
>>
>>14600681
If you judge toku based solely on effects I pity your shallowness. How things are "executed" goes beyond how much you jerk off over the effects.
>>
>>14600693
Is the stuff in here true?
http://pastebin.com/pW30aaHq
>>
>>14600707
Wasn't just talking about effects. Characters, cinematography, and score matters too.
>>
>>14600697
I always saw Showa Gamera as a backyard attempt of making a Godzilla movie.

Watching them made me want to make a Kaiju film, to the best of my abilities(and budget).
>>
>>14600710
That's kind of awesome.

I don't want to be too hard on them. They have their charm. I love Gamera vs. Viras because it has this awesome sense of childhood adventure. But it also has a twenty-minute stock footage sequence and it gets boring in the end.

Everybody loves Gamera vs. Guiron because of how nutty it is, but the movie fucking drags and has no sense of pacing at all.
>>
>>14600716
Right, the movies just fun scenes with mandatory human scenes stapled on as filler.

Most of Showa Godzilla was nutty, and that's what it was meant to be, though I feel that Showa Gamera took it too far in an attempt to beat Godzilla's "Charm".

You'll always see Merchandise with Godzilla Dancing, but you'll rarely see Merchandise of Gamera swinging around that pole.
>>
>>14600729
Godzilla got nutty, but they were also better-made films. Effects-wise and writing-wise. I always noticed the difference even when I was a kid.
>>
>>14600709
OK, and? In that case Kamen Rider was indeed superior considering Hongo and Hayato were actual people capable of emoting. Their characters influenced real life people. The cinematography was constantly evolving with the crew pioneering new techniques and ideas that influence the genre right down to this day. Why are you desperate to laud Heisei Gamera above everything?
>>
>>14600736
I always laughed about how the most "high tech" Showa Gamera got, was the shifting eyes.
That's because Godzilla fan a major fan base and a "budget".

It was just nice to see filmmakers actually having a little control and done fun things for future audiences to see. Now everything has to be either "Fun and wacky" or "Dark and serious", and never in between.
>>
>>14600693
The pros and cons.

Pro:
Relentless editing leaves the audience entertained throughout, even the human parts. In fact, the human parts are what makes this movie so great. None of the 3 main characters are left underdeveloped. You start caring even for the side characters. You are constantly bombarded with info through dialogue, and it never gets boring. The human parts are easily 8/10 for me.

10/10 action scenes. There are 4 Godzilla action scenes in the movie, and each one is vastly different from one another.
Most of the action scenes take place when the sun is up, unlike the 2014 version, and that's a plus. Don't get me wrong, I love the 2014 version, 8/10 for me, but you can't deny that most of the awesome parts are packed in the last 20 minutes of the movie, and it takes place in the dark, making it hard to see what the hell is going on, the screen always being a monotonous gray, the only vivid color being Godzilla's atomic breath. In Shin Godzilla the screen is always colorful, and it's always clear what is happening in the scene.
The CGI is impressive actually. Some scenes did have shit CGI, I noticed 4 scenes, but that's about it. The rest is surprisingly good, the best ones on par with the best CGI from Hollywood, I'm not even joking. Even in the not-quite-the-best scenes, Mr. Anno's godlike cinematography makes up for it.
>>
File: not vlc.png (335KB, 992x738px) Image search: [Google]
not vlc.png
335KB, 992x738px
Finally watching Godzilla '54; so far the best-looking monster scenes are meant to be seen in motion and don't work well in screenshots, like here. But I guess that's kind of the point since this movie is going for more realistic approach to destruction than say the 90s Gamera films whose monster scenes are practically live-action anime directed by a Gainax man.
>>14600748
I don't think the visual quality of these movies is significantly about "budget" but about the talent that goes into building the suits, miniatures and animatronics and the sense of cinematography. Compared to American films these movies are all pretty cheap; '54 had only half of '33 King Kong's budget for example (also take into account that Kong was stop-motion meaning a lot of the 'sets' that King Kong & the dinosaurs moved around in were tiny and not designed for a big man in a suit to walk around in)

Even more interestingly Gamera vs. Iris was, if you adjust for inflation, done with only 22% of the first Star Wars film's budget. Hell the Gamera movies are even cheap when compared to movies like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and yet they look far better mainly because there was more skill that went into their creation.

A lot of Japanese media is about making the most out of very little and I think that's a big part of what makes stuff like this so interesting.
>>
File: eyes1.png (417KB, 992x738px) Image search: [Google]
eyes1.png
417KB, 992x738px
>>14600777
A weird quirk I noticed though is how Godzilla's eyes change so much in this film.

When he first appears, his left eye is black & has a white iris while the right one is normal.

In other scenes they're completely black.

And then there's a shot where he has chameleon eyes/"Naruto looking kind of cool" eyes.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-08-09-17h26m57s304.png (370KB, 992x738px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-08-09-17h26m57s304.png
370KB, 992x738px
>>14600781
The 'completely black eyes' shots look the best since they're the most menacing.
>>
>>14600777
Why do you pretend to speak about tokusatsu in general when all you do is wank over muh Heisei Gamera? You're clearly not impressed with anything else so why not just stick with those movies?
>>
>>14600781
That's a major reason I love Shin's design.
No matter how much of the design you've seen, it always looks slightly different from a different angle.
>>
>>14595756
sounds like anno
>>
>>14600786
My entire point was that both films do a good job at what they set out to do. I'm just saying caps won't do as good of a job at making people want to watch it as it would with other films.

This shot is great on its own though.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-08-09-18h17m20s934.png (363KB, 992x738px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-08-09-18h17m20s934.png
363KB, 992x738px
>>14600810
This scene reminded me of watching scary recordings of the 2011 tsunami while actually worrying about a friend's safety

So job well done since that's exactly the kind of feeling they were going for
>>
>>14600810

I think it's hilarious how you admit you are new to this franchise but want to dictate what people will find interesting or not like it's a fact.
>>
>>14600819
>but want to dictate what people will find interesting or not like it's a fact
I never did this, I just said what I suspect based on my own personal taste. I don't assume that every time I state something I'm not 100% sure will apply to everyone I have to write "imhopoo no ofens if u disagree".
>>
File: scene02.jpg (247KB, 604x800px)
scene02.jpg
247KB, 604x800px
>>14600810
I don't get why you think this, 54 is full of powerful and stark imagery more than any of the others since Godzilla was filmed in darkness, fire and smoke and was a silhouette a lot of the time with only the mad eyes most visible.
>>
>>14600704
Sorry, I don't have the means to do that just now, but I'll describe it the best I can.

On the tip of Godzilla's tail there are humanoids trying to break free from the tail, pretty big in size so clearly they're not "humans that Godzilla absorbed".
The humanoids look like Xenomorphs, the teeth look just the same and also the way they open their mouths is the same, and they have no eyes. They look like they're wearing christmas bells on their heads instead of the Xenomorph's long dick head. They have Godzilla's fins on their back.
Also, Godzilla's tail itself looks like a creature of its own. I think I saw a big jaw and teeth at the tip of the tail.

My theory is that the humanoids are Godzilla's 5th form (the Godzilla we see in the posters is his 4th form). In the movie, a professor says that since Godzilla is constantly evolving, it may eventually split into small parts, and even grow wings and travel between continents. I think that Godzilla getting his ass kicked by humans taught him that humans=strong, so he chose becoming human as his next stage of evolution.

The ending is simply telling us what could have happened if Godzilla wasn't defeated soon enough. A "That was close!" type of thing.
>>
>>14600651
How did it force Godzilla vs King Kong?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-08-09-18h31m57s381.png (417KB, 992x738px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-08-09-18h31m57s381.png
417KB, 992x738px
What are these planes doing, why are all their shots missing Godzilla and why did the whole thing make him go back into the water

I know nothing about war equipment
>>
>>14600704
Weakest part of the film would be the occasional shit CGI. Those scenes are shit because of Godzilla's movement being a bit jerky. But for me, that's about it. Entertaining movie throughout.

I think Godzilla only roared for like, 3 times. I noticed 1954 Goji's roar, but I'm not sure about the rest.
>>
>>14600705
I only noticed like, 2 scenes that are clearly miniatures. One is Godzilla stepping on a house. The other doesn't even have Godzilla in it, a building is toppling and a miniature office with desks and PCs is sliding to the right.

Most Godzilla scenes are real life landscape with CGI Godzilla added in I think.
>>
>>14600870
Please answer this >>14600708

Also how were the politics? Is it militaristic or not?
>>
>>14600870
That's kind of disappointing. I was hoping for more, considering Higuchi. (then again there are probably very subtle uses of miniatures that aren't noticeable).
>>
>>14600708
I've skimmed through it and yeah, I can guarantee you, this guy has clearly seen the movie and fluent in Japanese as he picked up a lot of small details. In fact, I remember reading his comments on 4chan right after I myself saw the movie for the first time and thinking "Damn, if a guy like this is posting, I don't need to post, I'll leave everything to him!"
>>
>>14600880
It wasn't like "JSDF, fuck yeah!" at all. The movie takes a lot of time depicting how big of a deal it is to actually deploy the JSDF to destroy targets. The protagonist does say that the JSDF is the only thing that can protect Japan in a time of crisis, but he said that to encourage the soldiers before the final battle.
The US military acted like they were in a typical Hollywood blockbuster though, it was kinda funny and cool at the same time.

The movie is in no way a right-wing propaganda. The vibe I got from it is "In a time of crisis, you don't have to worry because Japan is full of capable bureaucrats and politicians".
>>
>>14600840
>In the sequel, Shin evolves to protect with humans instead of attacking them.
>>
>>14600852
Godzilla was already heading back out to sea.
>>
>>14601014
Makes me wonder if Shin even had a Goal, was intelligent, or if it was just animal instinct.
>>
File: God_Warrior.jpg (100KB, 400x566px)
God_Warrior.jpg
100KB, 400x566px
>>14600910
It was supposed to be more of a balanced mixture of practical and digital, though the Godzilla puppet didn't work as intended. So they had to change plans in the middle of production and use more CGI than originally intended. I suspect that is why some of CGI doesn't look too flattering.
>>
>>14601032
Yeah, I knew all that. Still figured somehow that there would still be lots of miniature buildings (I see several in the clips we've seen).
Higuchi is sneaky though. Seeing making-of stuff for Attack on Titan, there's more miniatures in it than you'd think, right down to some of the trucks they drove.
>>
>>14600928
So the stuff he said about it being politically neutral is true? Thanks, that's another nail in the coffin for the "hurr abe shill movie" retards.
>>
>>14600783
I don't know about your computer screen, but that's just because the scene is darker. I can clearly see the white of the eyes in that pic.
>>
>>14600773
I'll list some things to look forward to in the movie without spoiling the fun.

Go to YouTube and listen to the OST, especially the 2 songs, Persecution of the Masses and You Will Know (Tragedy). Listen to them a lot until you know it by heart. The way they used these songs was so good it gave me goosebumps. Knowing the song by heart only made it better.

No homo but, there's some serious husbando and bromance material here. Pay close attention to the protagonist's super handsome assistant. You can tell from his actions and facial expressions that he cares about and admires his boss a lot.

If you see it on a big enough screen, you get to enjoy close-ups of the actor's nose pores and acne scars since they wear literally no make up for reality's sake!
>>
>>14595574
>Go to YouTube and listen to the OST, especially the 2 songs, Persecution of the Masses and You Will Know (Tragedy). Listen to them a lot until you know it by heart. The way they used these songs was so good it gave me goosebumps. Knowing the song by heart only made it better.

This makes me honestly giddy.
>>
File: KICS-3400.jpg (102KB, 500x500px)
KICS-3400.jpg
102KB, 500x500px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx7SySU05bQ
>>
>>14601023
He wanted everyone to know of his yearning before he died in this world.
>>
File: gmk1.jpg (828KB, 1777x2469px)
gmk1.jpg
828KB, 1777x2469px
Watching GMK; I expected it to be tonally like 90s Gamera but instead, aside from a few scenes, it's really comedic and in a genuinely good way as opposed to a lame "stereotypical Japanese comedy" way. The scene with the girl in the hospital was downright mean-spirited but seeing that in a family movie just made it better. Also, the guys in the helicopter narrating Godzilla & Baragon's fight like it's a wrestling match. Fucking hell.

I do wish Shinji Higuchi was more than briefly involved though.
>>
>>14601543
Not your blog.
>>
>>14601543
Funny I'm listening to the soundtrack now.

Reply is this fuckin track makes you choke up:
38 A Salute To The Spirits Of The War Dead M38: http://youtu.be/rHqMTgsZZog
>>
>>14599184
Where can I go to watch the one before Godzilla vs Biollante?
>>
>>14601575
"godzilla complete boxset (plus bonus material)" is well seeded and has everything in decent quality
>>
File: Shin Goji Form 2.jpg (203KB, 650x430px)
Shin Goji Form 2.jpg
203KB, 650x430px
Detailed figures of the 2nd and 3rd form
>>
>>14601584
Alright
Whats the bonus material?
>>
File: Shin Goji Form 3.jpg (167KB, 650x430px) Image search: [Google]
Shin Goji Form 3.jpg
167KB, 650x430px
>>14601597
>>
>>14601597
>>14601602
ok these are actually cute
>>
>>14601543
What are your favorites so far?
>>
>>14601602
I want to keep him in my pocket and throw him at noisy people.
>>
>>14601597
I want to hold this little baby in my arms and tell it everything will be alright
>>
>ShinG is CG
Will the "men in rubber suits wrestling each other" crowd stop being biased against CG now? I never understood the preference for one artifice to another.
>>
>>14600524
I just wasted 8 hours of my life doing this.
>>
>>14602328
Have you ever seen japanese CGI..........yeah i dont think you did.
>>
>>14601543
Comedic? Man find good subs and NEVER hear the dub again.
Thread posts: 388
Thread images: 96

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.