[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've always found it interesting how other countries would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: Voltes_V_Commercial_Banner.png (581KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Voltes_V_Commercial_Banner.png
581KB, 640x480px
I've always found it interesting how other countries would just license different mecha and toku shows from Japan and like the most random ones suddenly get fucking huge, and each series that gets super popular differs per country too.

Back home in Flipland, I recall Voltes V, Daimos, Shaider, Maskman and Bioman being the huge hits, but more of Voltes out of all of them though.

How did it go everywhere else? Golion/Voltron and Zyuranger obviously got pretty big in the US, and I know Arabs love Grendizer, and that Mazinger got huge in South America as well.

What did your country get out of the huge mecha/toku grab bag?
>>
>>14595509
You already listed 'em for the USA, but yeah, it's really weird how the most random shows seem to get popular.
>>
>>14595509
Not to shit on them too much but most of these seemingly random shows really got their popularity from being the first show of their kind with a decent amount of marketing. We always have known these kinds of shows are awesome, but Joe Public didn't.

If the US had gotten Barattack and Jetman instead of Golion and Zyuranger, they'd be the pop culture icons instead of the latter two.
>>
>>14595693
Weren't they originally going to license Daltanious instead of Golion?
>>
>>14595906
Yes. Legend has is that they asked for "the one with the lion" and got handed Golion instead by accident, but decided they liked it better anyway.
>>
>>14595509
Whenever I read about how anime used to be imported to the west decades ago, it all seems so informal and slapdash. Not saying that in a bad way, though
>>
Why Voltes and not Combattler?
>>
>>14596240
Combattler aired later which gets its unfair label of Voltes ripoff. However, even with the same playing field, Voltes happens to have a storyline focusing on slavery and dictatorship which was very parallel to what was happening to Flipland at the time.
>>
Anime in the Netherlands died with Fox Kids
>>
Why isn't there a country where Ginguiser made it big

Imagine if Ginguiser took Voltron's place as one of America's favorite classic robots
>>
File: megaloman_by_dipomaster.jpg (149KB, 1600x899px) Image search: [Google]
megaloman_by_dipomaster.jpg
149KB, 1600x899px
Indonesia got Gavan, Sharivan, Goggle V, and fucking Megaloman. I think Voltes V as well, but not quite sure.
and later on Kamen Rider Black and RX, among others
>>
>>14596280
oh no
>>
>>14596280
actually i heard in Italy it got big.
>>
File: Cosplay.jpg (42KB, 650x250px) Image search: [Google]
Cosplay.jpg
42KB, 650x250px
>>14596296
>forgetting Patlabor
LANGIT BIRU!
>>
>>14596313
Italy had like half of the seventies's super robots get various level of "big"
>>
>>14595509
>are those images called that have a mecha with all of its weapons laid out in front of it like pic related? Also mecha armaments thread.

Italy got a real hard boner for Nagai's 1970s super robot series. Mazinger, Getter, Grendizer and Mazinger Z. Of course Tomino's shows starting from Zambot 3, Daitarn 3 and Gundam.
Basically over 90% of Japanese anime that was made in 1970s was broadcast on Italian tv in the late 70s early 80s.

For tokusastsu shows :

Megaloman, and then a series of bizarre anime/live action shows. Ai-Zenborg for instance.
>>
>>14596391
>Mazinger, Getter, Grendizer and Mazinger Z

Corrected :

Mazinger Z, Getter, Grendizer and Great Mazinger
>>
>>14596280
>Why isn't there a country where Ginguiser made it big

Maybe because the series is shit ? In any case it was published in dvd in Italy. They must have sold like 2 or 3 copies at the most.
>>
>>14596269
I've read(probably a dorkly post) that Voltes V directly influenced some revolution ousting their dictator because the show was getting so popular more people were watching it than his daily speeches in the same time slot, and he forcibly cancelled it.
>>
>>14596398
That's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's mostly cause Voltes was taking the ratings of a rival television channel who was funded by said dictator's cronies.
Also apparently it promoted violence/revolutionary themes but I can't really tell you how accurate that is
>>
>>14595509
Where I come from (French-speaking regions of Canada), Grendizer is a national cult favorite. So was Harlock, to a smaller extent.

In regards to other places, The Brave Series is pretty huge in Korea (heck, the toy company Sonokong is the one doing the toy reprints). Meanwhile, Brazil had several hits, including Juspion, Janperson and Jiraiya.

>>14596391
One franchise in particular that they love is Time Bokan, but most of all Yatterman. That one is popular enough that an Italian landmark appeared in Miike's movie.
>>
>>14596400
>>14596398
>apparently it promoted violence/revolutionary themes but I can't really tell you how accurate that is
as far as I've ever heard that was just the excuse about getting it out of the way of the crony's channel, like how Edrogan is using the coup attempt to shut down everybody in Turkey

but even then that's all stuff I hear online
I have no direct knowledge of either place outside of their media and the onlines.

Julio Valiente vs The Man Who Saves The World would be a cool crossover movie, though.
>>
>>14595509
You guys were lucky. In Germany we got Voltron and Sei Juushi Bismarck (fitting, right?) and that's it. What was popular in the 70's was all the World Masterpiece Theater stuff, especially Heidi. Also Versailles no Bara and Lady Georgie.
>>
File: aww shiet.png (175KB, 306x490px) Image search: [Google]
aww shiet.png
175KB, 306x490px
being the 90s kid that I was I remember the local TV airing pretty several mecha cartoons like Patlabor, Voltron, Saber Rider and that one with the time travelling beetle tank thing. iirc Gundam Seed was the first gendum show aired on national TV.

Kids fucking loved toku. Before spandex show slots got flooded for years with Saban stuff our TV network aired Gavan, Kamen Rider Black/RX,Cybercops,Ultramen, as well as Flash/Jet/Maskman .

We still do air plenty of toku stuff to this day (they put fucking Garo in the 9:30 a.m slot) . Not gonna watch it, though. Dubbing's terribad.

not sure if there were other shows that became huge hits but aside from MMPR,many oldfags really loved KR Black and Doraemon
>>
>>14596833
Well, we also got Captain Future, Samurai Pizza Cats, Urashiman and Cutie Honey Flash but only the first and maybe second one became popular.
>>
>>14597436
And on the toku side there were Winspector, Masked Rider, VR Troopers, Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad and the glorious rating failure that was Dragon Knight which at first was cancelled after like twelve episodes, released on DVD but not completely, then picked up by another station where in the end it was cancelled again, IIRC.
>>
File: Gundam X.jpg (147KB, 1287x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam X.jpg
147KB, 1287x1052px
In the late 80s and throughout the 90s Singapore's Mandarin TV channel just brought over whatever recent Taiwanese dub is popular and whatever the local Bandai + Tomy toy distributor was pushing (Wataru, Eldoran, Digimon, Gundam, MMPR, etc.). Whatever they did not bring over to air, there were VHS and later VCDs of the Taiwanese dubs or Hong Kong Cantonese dubs, mostly bootlegged. There's also a lot of manga we had access to because Hong Kong and Taiwanese publishers translate almost everything.

I still have a physical set of Taiwan-published Crossbone Gundam manga I collected in the late 90s. They simply translated the title as "Gundam X" because there wasn't a Gundam X anime when they started translating the series.

It's really not surprising to see a SG localized SRW if you think about how long we've been exposed to anime and manga imported through HK/TW translations.
>>
>>14597681
[nitpicking intensifies]
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
>>14596466
>Meanwhile, Brazil had several hits, including Juspion, Janperson and Jiraiya.

Brazilian toku fandom: brought to you by the letter 'J'.
>>
File: 1466054969130.jpg (207KB, 500x633px) Image search: [Google]
1466054969130.jpg
207KB, 500x633px
>>14596707
>Edrogan

Sounds like a Yuusha series villain.
>>
>>14596296
I was born long after these shows aired but I recall people talking about watching Voltes V among other shows. Also, we got some Ultraman shows.

Regarding Super Sentai, around the late 90's-early 2000's our TV stations picked up Power Rangers instead of the Super Sentai counterpart, which feels kind of weird in hindsight (we already had Goggle V). Maybe it was easier to secure the rights and toy sales.

Also in the early 2000's, a small TV channel called "Space Toon" appeared, and it showed a bunch of old shows, including Macross, Yatterman/Time Bokan, Gatchaman and Robocon.
>>
>>14597694
He's now going to call you a retard and spam images at you.
>>
>>14597823
>implying he isn't
He probably has a giant robot stored somewhere to fight the Ankara Zaku.
>>
>>14597823
Sounds like the turkish president, who could also be a catoonishly evil Yuusha villain.
>>
>>14598071
That's because it is the guy they're talking about. Misspellings happen.
>>
>>14595509
Here in Australia Teknoman aka Tekkaman Blade had a fairly large following.
>>
>>14596707

Julio Valiente was based. He was the flip version of Chuck Norris
>>
>>14598338
Wasn't he the guy who split a bullet in two using a knife? AND MANAGED TO KILL TWO FLEEING GOONS TOO!

Where is that gif?
>>
>>14596368
And Fist of the North Star in the kiddie cartoon block.
>>
>>14595509
Gode geass in the Netherlands
>>
>>14596296
In 2006 Global TV randomly brought Eureka 7, Gaiking LoDM and Dancouga Nova to Indonesia along with many other niche anime.

I guess they just randomly bought cheap stuff to air to get the weaboo audience.
>>
>>14600297
My bad, that was 2009.
Oh, they re-air Voltes at the time too.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.