[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Contrarians who don't think Miyazaki is the best anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: miyazaki-portrait.jpg (287KB, 1200x1477px) Image search: [Google]
miyazaki-portrait.jpg
287KB, 1200x1477px
>Contrarians who don't think Miyazaki is the best anime director

The fuck is wrong with you faggots?
>>
We love floof and 80s moe here and this faggot decries our culture. Fuck him. His works don't even have SHADING.
>>
>>14593522
But Takahata is the better Ghibli director, Takahata makes art, Miyazaki makes kids flicks.
>>
>>14593522
He's not even the best director at Ghibli, though. Takahata's works generally shit all over Miyazaki's- the only one of Miyazaki's works that comes close to Takahata's level is Princess Mononoke.
>>
Miyazaki a shit
>>
But how does it /m/
>>
He's never done a mech a show, so this thread is irrelevant to this board.
>>
>>14593522

Because he's not Takahata and he went through a slump in the 2000s before returning to form with The Wind Rises

Yes I'm implying Howl and Ponyo aren't that great compared to his other stuff
>>
>>14593522

>God tier

Miyazaki, Takahata, Kon

>Top Tier

Anno

>Used-to-be-top-tier-but-he-no-longer-gives-a-shit tier

Oshii

>Pretty good tier

Ikuhara, Takahashi, Tsurumaki, Watanabe

>Hit-and-miss tier

Tomino, Otomo, Imaishi

>This is what happen if you let /m/ make a movie, you end up with MD Geist, which has nothing going for it except the retro cheese factor and CANT STOP HE JUST A SOLDIER which to be fair is modern day Bach -tier

Obari

>Never watched him but everyone likes him so I assume he's good tier

Dezaki
>>
File: wrong.jpg (24KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.jpg
24KB, 500x380px
>>14593712
>you end up with MD Geist, which has nothing going for it except the retro cheese factor and CANT STOP HE JUST A SOLDIER
>>
>>14593522
He was not even the best in his own studio.
>>
>le Takahata is better contrarian meme

Have any of you faggots even seen his movies outside of Kaguya and Fireflies?
>>
>>14593844

Only Yesterday was great, you pleb
>>
>>14593522
>Tomino
>makes anime with giant robots
>Miyazake does not make anime with giant robots
>anime with giant robots >>> anime without giant robots
>Hence Tomino is better

Mathematically proven it right here. Prove me wrong. Pro-tip: You can't.
>>
>>14593866
>>anime with giant robots >>> anime without giant robots

Unfounded presupposition m8
>>
>>14593712
>Never watched him but everyone likes him so I assume he's good tier

>Dezaki

I didn't think that people that haven't seen Cobra were allowed to post here.
>>
>>14593877
>giant robots are cool
>hence anime with giant robots are cooler than anime without them

Literally science.
>>
File: Thomas-Kuhn.jpg (176KB, 700x576px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas-Kuhn.jpg
176KB, 700x576px
>>14593889

Science, you say
>>
>>14593889
Green Jacket Lupin III is the coolest anime of all time and that didn't have giant robots.
>>
>>14593906

That's a weird way to spell Space Jam
>>
>>14593906
It'd be cooler if it had a giant robot though.
>>
>>14593856
It was predictable as hell, and whenever not in flashbacks looked like shit because everyone's cheek wrinkles made them look over 50.
>>
File: 1450298384695.png (44KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1450298384695.png
44KB, 240x240px
>>14593917

>this opinion
>>
>>14593522
>implying Miyazaki makes anime
His tryhard Disney movies are not anime. They are cartoonshit from Japan.
>>
>>14593936
Finally, a post that makes sense. This is actually what Miyazaki himself thinks.
>>
>>14593936

>>>/a/
>>
File: 1475884270.jpg (31KB, 363x310px) Image search: [Google]
1475884270.jpg
31KB, 363x310px
>>14593929
>>
File: 9742328.0.jpg (98KB, 1600x917px) Image search: [Google]
9742328.0.jpg
98KB, 1600x917px
>>14593962

>being this /a/
>>
File: 1463594502914.jpg (257KB, 534x700px) Image search: [Google]
1463594502914.jpg
257KB, 534x700px
>>14593936
>>
>>14593522
For one, his senpai Takahata is a much better director. Also, Oshii is better.
>>
>>14594202

>Oshii was better but then then Avalon happened

ftfy
>>
>>14593631
>He's never done a mech a show
What's Laputa? What's Nausicaa?

And airplanes are pretty /m/ too. If toku is /m/ so is Porco Rosso, or Kaze Tachinu.
>>
>>14593844
I've seen not just all his movies, but also the TV series he directed. Almost everything Miyazaki knows about filmmaking he borrowed from Takahata. The rest is him copying the visual language of manga, which he is actually better at.

I suspect Anno would be better at drawing manga than making films too. His editing style mimics manga paneling a lot, especially his late 1990s stuff.
>>
>>14594224
>The rest is him copying the visual language of manga, which he is actually better at.

Is that why Nausicaa has literally some of the worst paneling in any manga ever published? Or why Miyazaki can't draw an action scene to save his life? Or why scenes would randomly shift from detailed backgrounds to blank slates with literally fucking nothing and then back? Don't confuse art style and story with what makes a manga work- Nausicaa was not well-made as a manga. Even Miyazaki admits that he was terrible at making manga compared to the likes of Tezuka.

Of course, it's good in many ways, but not as a manga.
>>
Miyazaki isn't even known for his directing, but for his lively, well designed, instantly memorable characters and whimsical settings. A lot of cuts in Miyazaki films are plain awkward, and the flow his films feels as if set on rails. His films usually thrive on visually inventive set-piece moments.

Pretty much everyone seems to notice that his films have very sudden endings. He doesn't seem to know how to do build ups and lead ins.
>>
>>14594256
Hello Mario
>>
>>14594265
Back to the lawnmower, Pablo.
>>
>>14594262
Right on the money. Princes Monoke had some really terrible panning shots and facial close-ups that literally sapped up all the tension/whimsy of the scene.

Miyazki works well for two big reasons- his strong animation and design. It's why so many of his movies have such a serene feel to them- there's nothing going on with the camera. This is not skill, this is more of a byproduct of his lack of it. But his actual directing, as in usage of the camera, is poor.
>>
>>14594212
>What's Laputa?
A show with a few throw away background robots, but is about a young boy led on an adventure by a young girl with air pirates and creepy villain.

>Nausicaa
Bugs.

Look you want to shit post about Miyazaki, do it on the appropriate board. /m/ has enough shit posting.
>>
>>14594256
To add to that, Nausicaa had too many damn panels crammed in a single page, but I've heard that has more to do with the larger page size it was published on, so I'll give Miyazaki a pass for that.
>>
>>14593522
How is this /m/?

But I agree with the thread in general, Takahata is the superior director. Miyazaki is just automatically conflated as "the best anime director" because he's most likely the only name most people who aren't really into anime knows.
Also, I know he'll probably get shat on because le "2deep4u" fags that ruin his name, but I really like Yuasa as well. Hope he'll do something new soon.

Kon is still my favourite though, and Susumu Hirasawa really brought out the magic in his films and show. Millennium Actress is legitimately my favourite anime movie of all time and I cry at the end every time because Kon died 40 years too early and won't be able to make more films
>>
>>14593522
Repressed pedophile meme director from KFC.
>>
>>14593973
>implying

/a/ loves Takahata because they want to be contrarian to people who like Miyazaki.
>>
File: 2_7robotlaputa.jpg (86KB, 1224x765px) Image search: [Google]
2_7robotlaputa.jpg
86KB, 1224x765px
>>14594298
So you've just dismissed half of the mecha anime ever made. By the same logic, VOTOMS is also not /m/. Most mecha anime aren't about robots, who are merely a setting element. They are about a boy or a girl going on some sort of adventure.

Also, I have to wonder if you've even seen the film. The Castle in the Sky is itself a giant machine, and it is central to the plot.
>>
>>14594412
No fuck off. Stop trying to change the subject. You only want to shit post about Miyazaki. You probably saw all the tominio threads, and the Fukuda threads, and went
>Oh hey, let's shit post about a popular director.

I don't want to shit post about Miyazaki. I don't want shit post about any director. We already have way too many of these fucking threads, and we don't need you exporting drama from other boards. We have our own. And I'm sure you are currently wrapping up the finishing touches on your next not /m/ thread director to shit on them here too.
>>
>>14594512
I'm not the OP.
>>
>>14594512
Faggots like you are why shit like the spic bogeyman meme are born here. Fuck off if you can't deal with people talking about your beloved favorite people.
>>
>>14594319
>dreaming machine will never be finished.
>>
>>14594569
Hi Pablo
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.