[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are the Patlabor movies so disliked on /m/? Just curious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: pat la bore the movie.jpg (42KB, 339x475px) Image search: [Google]
pat la bore the movie.jpg
42KB, 339x475px
Why are the Patlabor movies so disliked on /m/? Just curious because I'm working my way through the series and enjoying it, and wondering how they could fuck it all up.
>>
Hack director made it "dark" and "sophisticated" for pseudo intellectual teengers.
>>
>>14575185
Poor man's GitS.

TV ver. is OG though.
>>
Too serious and "deep"
Barely any robot fights
SV2 has like 5 minutes of screentime in the 2nd and 3rd movies
>>
>>14575192>>14575185
I have to agree they were very dark compared to most of the TV anime. I watched the movies first then the TV and OAV. Wow, that was a real difference. after the seriousness of the movie the TV show as almost too much slapstick.

But, I like the movies, and as soon as I can find the live action in English I will watch that.
>>
Why is it Patlabor 1 The Movie, not Patlabor The Movie 1?
>>
>>14575185
the first movie is unanimously liked.
The second movie is a gloomy political thriller vaguely masquerading as a Patlabor movie (and it also shits on some characters' personality on top of that). Even if you like strong visuals and beautiful animation, it'll still be boring, so you have to be a politics nerd to enjoy it (one who cares about Japan's political history).

And it disappointed so many people so much that almost nobody watched the third movie.
>>
>>14575199
>>14575196
>>14575194
The first movie is perfectly fine and mostly in line with the TV series.
>>
PatFilm 1 is the concentrated essence of the OVA, it balances its fun and serious aspects very well.

PatFilm 2 is more of a film set in the Patlabor world, and while there's one or two amusing moments, it's largely a dry and rather cynical film that channels this "you all need to grow up and move on with your lives" tone that one begins to associate with Oshii, especially a decade or so later when he directs Sky Crawlers which is a shameless middle finger directed to manchildren who think their true lives have yet to begun.

Though he goes on to do TNG Patlabor and from what little I've seen of it Oshii does seem to roll his cynicism back in favor of challenging people to regain that bygone idealism.

Long story short, second film is very cynical and goes against expectations set for a Patlabor work.
>>
>>14575185
Wot?
>>
>>14575185
Only the second film is somewhat disliked on /m/ and not that much really. I think it is the best entry in the franchise to be honest, in spite of the direction of the film shifting away from the mecha aspect of Patlabor.

I have to say though, I am a fan of Oshii's style. Sky Crawlers and Ghost in the Shell are some of my favourite films. Whether you will enjoy the film greatly depends on what most interested you in Patlabor in the first place. Its tone is very similar to the SV2's Longest Day episodes of the OVA, but turned up to 11.

The narrative is dry and the plot is heavily focused on political aspects in a very realistic manner (think GITS:SAC 2nd GIG, which actually apes some aspects of the film). That's something that you either love or hate, depending on how interested you are in this sort of story. Characters that don't really get focused upon much in the OVA continuity get a lot of screentime in it, so favourites like Noa and Asuma stay in the backseat too, so that's also something that you might not enjoy.
>>
>>14575452
Everyone likes to pretend the thrid one doesn't exist.
>>
>>14575185
>>14575452

Oh, and the third film is also panned. It's not exactly a bad film, but it truly is Patlabor in name only; a kaiju film set in the Patlabor universe more than anything.

>>14575206
The TV series is an alternative continuity altogether.
>>
The Patlabor movies pretty much prove Oshii can only do one type of story over and over again.
>>
>>14575457
I don't think it's necessarily voluntary. People simply forget about it since it doesn't actually have much to do with the other entries in the franchise. I mean, the SV2 only has a cameo in it, so...
>>
>>14575477
Sure, if you ignore all the other things he's done.
>>
>>14575185
I like the first movie. The second, not so much.
>>
>>14575185
They're edgy for the sake of being edgy, even though they're just children's cartoons about big metal men.
>>
File: 132408756.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
132408756.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>14575185
They all have great soundtracks, I'll give them that, but they all have too much downtime and not enough action.
>>
>>14575185
Who the hell gave you that impression? The only debate is between people that liked one more than the other.
>>
File: tmp_24442-noacel-1594858462.jpg (24KB, 627x507px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_24442-noacel-1594858462.jpg
24KB, 627x507px
>>14575185
The first Patlabor movie is a classic. 9/10

The second one is a political thriller. It's good but a lot of people hate plot and have the attention span of a goldfish.
8/10

The rest is best forgotten.
>>
>>14577019
That doesn't make sense.

Anime can be a great story telling medium. You should watch some anime besides /m/.

It's like judging film on the basis of capeshit.
>>
>>14577368

People don't hate Patlabor 2 because they hate plot. They hate Patlabor 2 because it turned Nagumo into a broken homewrecker, had Noa appear to deliver like 3 lines and one of them shat all over her character for no reason and made no sense, the political plot is simultaneously boring and extremely simple, and it's a thriller without any thrill or mystery.

Everyone is basically missing except for Goto and Nagumo, and there was actually no point to having the movie be a Patlabor movie. It could have been about two generic cops and Tsuge could have been the head of a computer engineering school and nothing would have changed.

The most memorable thing about the movie was Arakawa's lazy eye.
>>
>>14577368
I want to own a Noa!
>>
First movie is great. Definitely watch it.

Second movie is a complete tonal shift that's alright as a movie on its own but pretty dour as a part of the Patlabor franchise.

Third movie is just its own thing that happens to have a pretty cool SV2 throwdown at the end.

Honestly none of them are bad, 2 and 3 are just viewed negatively in the context of the overall franchise because they're so different.

Also the second movie just sort of rehashes the military coup plot of the the OVA so that's kind of lame.
>>
>>14575185
I don't like Oshiis directing style.
Very interesting themes, but it always feels like I'm at university sitting in a lecture. The characters don't express their beliefs by conversing to each other, they instead talk to the audience.
>>
>>14575472
>a kaiju film set in the Patlabor universe more than anything.

That sounds fucking awesome though.
>>
>>14575185
It's like they took "Police Academy", and then threw out what made it fun and tried to make it a series police movie.
>>
>>14577714
That's what annoys me the most. There's no subtlety. He always has to have characters go on long monologues about whatever philosophical subject the work is about.
>>
>>14577719
It would be if it mattered that it was set in the Patlabor universe but until the very end it really doesn't.

It's just a kind of depressing horror mystery that ends in a really well animated fight that would be funner if you weren't so depressed.

It's worth watching out of curiosity though. Just completely forget that it has anything to do with Patlabor first.
>>
>>14577719
The problem is that it doesn't use the setting well. It's like labors and SV2 are an afterthought.
>>14577708
Part of it is also that some people tend to bite back at the way that 'anime can be serious mature media too just like movies' crowd always rave about Patlabor 2 because it deals with some serious themes and subject matter, while usually not having touched the rest of the IP.
>>14577729
The first Patlabor managed to touch on some interesting subjects without turkey slapping the audience with them.
>>
>>14577729
That's how most people go through philosophy, by monologuing. The second most frequent way is academic debate. You very rarely have plain dialogues about philosophical topics.

Maybe you just don't like high-brow thinking.
>>
>>14578232
What I prefer is for a characters philosophy to manifest itself through their actions and interactions with others, rather than them outright monolouging it.
>>
>>14577748
Patlabor 2 doesn't "turkey slap" the audience with its ideas either, though. The first film is more of an action movie with a good set-up that allows for some interesting ideas to be sneaked in (most people don't even notice it or pay it no mind). In the second one, the political theory stuff is more important since it's that kind of movie, so everyone notices right away.

Too many people like to pretend that Patlabor 2 is like GITS:Innocence, but it isn't at all like that. All lines are very natural (they fit the context and it is something people might think about in a similar situation).

>>14577392
> it turned Nagumo into a broken homewrecker, had Noa appear to deliver like 3 lines and one of them shat all over her character for no reason and made no sense

The Early Days OVA and films and the TV series and Last Files OVA are part of alternative universes. The Noa in one need not be like the Noa in the other, Same with Shinobu.

The TV series was a do-over of the franchise.
>>
>>14578232
High-brow thinking has nothing to do in entertainment, as evidenced by Oshii's clunky ass dialog.
>>
>>14578263
I think you're mixing up his different works because you don't like Oshii. There is no "clunky ass dialogue" in Patlabor 2.
>>
>>14578266
There is definitely some; it's excused by the context of the scene and the fact that it comes into play later in the plot, but it's still very silly for the bad guy to exposes his views about society in extremely intricate detail to some cop he doesn't care about, especially when it can (and will) be used against him.
>>
>>14575225
I thought Patlabor 2 had some beautiful scenes, but yeah, it wasn't as funny (for the most part) as Patlabor ought to be and I didn't like the revelations concerning Shinobu's backstory.
>>
>>14578281
Also, sublime zen aesthetics can get old real quick
>>
>>14578275
I disagree. Tsuge was trying to win him over, or at the least distract him. He believed his position was the only rational one possible, and consequently, that anyone, after properly understanding his views, would arrive to the same conclusion.
>>
>>14578297
Why would he want to win this irrelevant fucker over? All he had to do was shut his mouth, seem inconspicuous and he would have won, but he didn't - not for a good in-universe reason, but because Oshii wanted to dump some ideas on his audience.
>>
>>14578339
Because he had a teacher mentality. People are not robots that optimise their behaviour to fit the best possible course of action.
>>
>>14578346
No, but apparently, characters are robots that optimize their behavior and disregard their self-interests (even when they're very ambitious and self-interested plotting manipulators who would most likely optimize their behavior to fit the best possible course of action) to fit the whims of the writer-director.
>>
>>14578356
Yes, everything that happens in a fictional work does so because the author(s) intended it to happen thus. And?

The lapse in reason is perfectly believable you autistic retard. Oshii didn't even write Patlabor 2's screenplay. Kazunori Ito did.
>>
>>14578365
Then shame on Kazunori for writing a lapse in reason that's NOT perfectly believable.
>>
>>14578373
Of course it's believable. But you have autism and can't understand how people function, so his characterisation went over your head. Tsuge is so obviously portrayed as someone that is a born mentor, as someone who tries to win people over to his side. See also his backstory with Shinobu, also relevant to this point.

Sometimes this does him no favours. That was one such moment.
>>
They look pretty and have good ideas, but they're honestly a bore to get through and probably the most souless films you can sit through.
>>
To be honest, I liked the third movie the most of the 3. it had ACTUAL Characters a decent plot and didn't rely on mamoru oshii's obnoxiously dull and pretentious directing.

It was different from the rest of patlabor, but that's why I liked it.
>>
>>14575185
because /m/ stands for /m/anchildren
>>
>>14579267
This. I actually probably like the first movie the least.
>>
Because /m/ is full of manchildren who only want muh robot fights and shitty stock characters (the series for example) over deep storytelling that doesnt rely on shoehorned in fights to get its message across (the movies)
>>
>>14579710

>he thinks the Patlabor movies were deep

"Deep" doesn't mean "boring."
>>
>>14579359
Why? The first movie is the best balance of the content and tone of the TV show and OVA with the more complex themes of Patlabor 2.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.