[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So...why DID Yui marry Gendou? What could she have possibly seen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

File: Yui-ikari.png (332KB, 580x600px) Image search: [Google]
Yui-ikari.png
332KB, 580x600px
So...why DID Yui marry Gendou? What could she have possibly seen in that man was 'yeah, I wanna marry him'. Gendou had all the signs of a loser at that point in time. Also, it was Yui's father who was in SEELE, not Gendou so she had nothing to gain from the marriage if she was just using him.

Unless she purposely pick the absolute worst father left in the world so that Shinji would be too depressed to do anything about her running the show herself come the second half of EoE.
>>
>>14572742
a couple drinks, las vegas and bam, love and marriage.
>>
>>14572742
>Gendou had all the signs of a loser at that point in time
But later in life he seemed like a winner?
>>
>>14572742
She was the kind of woman who liked picking up stray puppies on the streets.
>>
>>14572742

Gendou is implied to be acting completely different to his past self in Eva, since his view is it won't matter if Shinja has a shitty life and he acts like a shitty father since it'll all be reset when his plan pans out anyway. Which is stupid, but that's his reason if I recall. Yui might have thought he'd be a good husband and father based on how he acted at the time, and the man certainly stuck to his guns with his plan and almost bent reality over a desk and railed it in the ass just for her, so you can't really fault him on tenacity or love for her.
>>
File: Mari.jpg (84KB, 388x720px) Image search: [Google]
Mari.jpg
84KB, 388x720px
>>14572742
Because she only had two options, Gendou and pic.
>>
He was pretty manipulative so it's possible he could be charming as hell if he wanted to be. You could see his cockiness in the flashback episode so she probably fell for his tough guy charm.
>>
she wanted to spite Fyutsuki
>>
>>14572780
wot?
>>
>>14572785
She basically said this. Something along the lines of "no one knows him like I do" or some shitty romance line on the same vein.
>>
>>14572869

translation: I can't write character chemistry
>>
>>14572882
To be fair, why she married him was irrelevant to the story.
>>
>>14572884

granted but in that case it's really best not to call attention to it at all with shitty lines like that.
>>
>>14572891
True enough. So, how long until someone comes in and bitches at us because "that's realistic!" and we aren't sucking Anno's dick?
>>
They just hit it off really well.

By all accounts their relationship was completely unplanned and not what any of the powers-that-be at the time wanted, they just legitimately fell in love somehow.
>>
>>14572742
She just have awful tastes like her son.
>>
>>14572806
Read the manga
>>
>>14573251
>evangelion manga
>ever being relevant
>>
>>14572742
She saw that he was fucking insane and decided to make him dependent on her so that when she was absorbed into a giant robot he'd end up doing roughly the same thing SEELE was trying to do, which would allow her to further her own plans.

Remember, Yui Ikari is a fucking insane psychopath and (scariest bit) SHE FUCKING WON IN THE END.

...Also she conceived Shinji during Second Impact, which is a good baseline to understanding her grasp on sanity.
>>
>>14572742
Because the biggest manipulative inhuman mosnter in all of evangelion is Yui, the fucking abominaiton orchestrated the whole shit, down to having her soul sucked into the Unit 01 just to gain the ultimate immortality and outlive the death of the universe
>>
>>14573654

I always under the impression that she never wanted SEELE to win, and had no idea Gendo would take her loss so badly and would do the things he did. It's implied in EoE she's angry at him for treating Shinji that way and she talks Shinji into stopping Instrumentality suggesting that wasn't what she wanted humanities endgame to be.

She wanted Unit 01 to be an eternal monument to humanity yeah, but she was otherwise opposed to the human race getting melted.
>>
>>14573760
I didn't get the idea of her being angry so much as her pointing out that Shinji is only goign apeshit because his father distanced himself out of fear, she didn't really seem to care when she appeared there.

Hell one of the most interesting things was that Gendo himself didn't seem all that happy when he got his wish to see Yui again, he said he was afraid because he saw too much of himself on Shinji and I also subscribe to this >>14573717 , she pprobably didn't care anymore since she was the only one who had actually won, her only objective was to make Unit 01 into the eternal proof that humanity existed, it didn't matter if humanity died in the process
>>
>>14572903
That's *garggle* one of the most *slurp* realistic portrayals *glomp* of a relationship I've ever seen in anime.
And you should be marvelling at Anno-Kun's masterpiece.
Damn that's the fifth facial today.

C-can we get 4.0 now Anno?
>>
>>14573788

Well why would she feel the need to create a monument if she didn't think humanity was on it's way out already. Way she figured now could have easily been a good a time to end it as any
>>
It might be worth noting, too, that Gendo's on the Katsuragi expedition instead of the better known and much more trustworthy Yui only about a year after meeting her and being brought in, he's the one made director of the Artificial Evolution Laboratory, and by the time the series starts there's no Japanese except Gendo apparent in Seele. I think they may have spent their first dates assassinating her father.
>>
>>14574031
>I think they may have spent their first dates assassinating her father.

No, he's most certainly still alive. He's one of the monolith figures in SEELE if memory serves, but if not, he's a higher up figure.

That's part of why Yui's a crazy.
>>
>>14574122
Wait, ignore me. I skimmed and missed the last part.
>>
File: _16.jpg (526KB, 832x1200px) Image search: [Google]
_16.jpg
526KB, 832x1200px
>>14572774
Nah, Gendou was just fucking jealous of Shinji. He basically says he was jealous that Shinji got Yui's love when he was born and so he hated him.
>>
>>14574030

Cause who knows if humanity will last forever.

But if she figured it were done anyway why bother with Impact or the Angels at all? She was already in her monument. Let alone talk Shinji into reversing it.
>>
>>14574146
So, at the end, he was really a simple piece of shit.
>>
File: 1470147888082.png (332KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
1470147888082.png
332KB, 624x480px
>>
>>14574197
>Let alone talk Shinji into reversing it.
She didn't do that. Shinji chose the outcome she most wanted, but he wasn't being pushed any particular direction during Impact, just asked what he wanted and if he was sure. He was already leaving before she appeared to him and that was to ask if he'd be okay.
>>
>>14573251
she wasn't in the manga, what relevance does she have at all? what did you mean by this?
>>
>>14572742
Women love bad boys you idiot. If you ever get married, know that your wife will have probably lost her virginity to a Chad, who was a drug dealer.

Gendo was an asshole. Of course she fell for him.
>>
>>14572774
Wring. Women offer sex, men offer relationships. Gendo picked Yui, not the other way around. The guy is alpha as fuck. Keep in mind he fucked both Ritsuko and her mum, and had them walking on all fours for him.

Learn about game dude.
>>
>>14572882
Translation: I am a kissless virgin who doesn't understand relationships. I bet Nina from 0083 also rustled your jimmies because she picked a real man over that Kou wuss with whom you identified, no?
>>
>>14574324
>Translation: I am a kissless virgin who doesn't understand relationships
>>
>>14572742
They just hit it off. Plus Yui's death turned Gendo into a dick. It seemed Yui was disappointed in him during EoE on how he treated Shinji like shit, which he is.
>>
>>14574342
>It seemed Yui was disappointed in him during EoE

He was disappointed in himself. As he laid there waiting for the world to end he realized that he'd gone way off the rails and become an un-lovable person IIRC.

And yeah his personality changed drastically after yui died, he used to go to bars and get into fights, unimaginable for the gendo we know.
>>
>>14574332
>t. a parrot
>>
>>14574402
>he used to go to bars and get into fights

So he was a bad boy alpha male.
>>
File: everything.jpg (44KB, 382x523px) Image search: [Google]
everything.jpg
44KB, 382x523px
>>14574316
Mari appears in some extra side chapter released with the final volume. It's stupid. Don't bother.

>>14572742
Because she saw potential in him "to be used". For fuck sake, pay more attention. She used him to create a child in order for her to become immortal and a God through 3rd Impact. The show likes to be vague about everything because of the "dude, think for yourself" trick, but whether or not she loved either Shinji or Gendo is debatable. I for one think she just used everyone, by the way.
>>
>>14573654
>>14573717
>>14573760
>>14573788
>>14574030
>>14574035
>>14574197
>>14574535

I want Evageeks to leave already.
>>
>>14574535
She absolutely loved Shinji, it's the motive force Unit 01 runs on. She could have grown the wings any time after episode 19, I think she stuck around to let her baby become god or the devil.
>>
>>14573654
>Also she conceived Shinji during Second Impact, which is a good baseline to understanding her grasp on sanity.
Uh... yeah. I can understand "oh man, 2nd Impact is going on! Let's screw!" as a sign of nuttiness...

But if you got to poop out your child during 2nd Impact, you don't really have a choice
>>
>>14572742
Pity. Lots of women choose men they feel sorry for or that need mending or fixing, like stray cats.

Some people just want to nurture.
>>
>>14574725
I think it's just a coincidence since Shinji was given the same birthday as Ogata after the fact and it doesn't come up at all in the series, but it does happen to be nine months after Second Impact. There's this implication that Gendo got home with all of Katsuragi's data and he and Yui were fucking while a billion people died and I love that it might be a total accident.
>>
>>14572742

Because if Gendo is anything he's actually a very successful businessman and an apparently brilliant bio-engineer and archaeologist.

He managed to get with Seele and also manage an organization/cult of giant bio-machines.

>>14572774

Why do people always try to justify the actions of Eva characters? They're meant to represent the irrationality of actual people. That's what makes these charracters memorable in the first place; they don't have any nebulous fantasy goals like "being the strongest" or whatever...at least, not until the rebuilds, presumably.
>>
>>14574760

> They're meant to represent the irrationality of actual people.

Are you just being intentionally dense or something? Even the irrationality of people has a rationale behind it. It might not be totally logical to the situation at hand, but there's always some logic behind it, even if it only makes sense to the person involved and has an emotional source. Eva characters like people don't just do random things because lol random. Their actions might appear random, but there is reason and trying to pretend that it's just random is idiotic.
>>
>>14574579
I'm not a evageek though, I hate them because they overanalize everything, mines just a theory based on what she says during the closing of EoE, I make no claim of it being the factual truth
>>
>>14572742
Gendo was a jerk. Chicks dig jerks.

It's not that complicated.
>>
>>14574760
>they don't have any nebulous fantasy goals like "being the strongest" or whatever...at least, not until the rebuilds, presumably.
Well you haven't actually watched them
>>
>>14572742
Everyone in EVA has some sort of mental illness, one way or another. Shinji is basically genetically wired to snap

You know how you can just tell someone is off? That's basically how Yui and Gendou felt around each other.
>>
She knew her son would one day have to save the world piloting a building sized mecha so she grabbed the biggest badass she should lay her hands on.

Mistakes were made.
>>
>>14574760
>Because if Gendo is anything he's actually a very successful businessman and an apparently brilliant bio-engineer and archaeologist.
THIS!

The story implied that Gendo was the only man brilliant enough to manage NERV. Without him the EVAs wouldn't even exist. And that was why SEELE tolerated him for so long despite knowing he is planning to betray them. They needed him to get their plan off the ground, so they couldn't afford to kill him off too early.
>>
>>14575101
What did Gendo actually do, other than assembling a team of people with severe personality disorders and driving one of them to a murder suicide?
>>
>>14575115
>What did Gendo actually do, other than assembling a team of people with severe personality disorders and driving one of them to a murder suicide?

He apparently played a part in the development of the Evas and set up of NERV. He also found people who were capable of doing the shit, since the series did kind of set up every one else's attempts to take down angels as being prone to failure.

Military tries it their way, fails. Other group tries to build an atomic robot, fails. NERV US tries to do some shit, fails.

Japan is the only one not fucking up... somehow.
>>
>>14575129
>Other group tries to build an atomic robot, fails. NERV US tries to do some shit, fails.

Pretty sure SEELE or even Gendo himself had a hand in both of those. Maybe, without evil organisations fucking things up for everyone else, someone could have created an Angel killer that didn't traumatise the pilot, hell, they could probably have made it pilotable by adults.
>>
>>14574764
didn't your rant just make his point for him? irrational =/= random.
>people are many dimensional beings and by our nature irrational and illogical.
>>
>>14575140
Could have been sabotage. Could just be that trying to restore a poorly understood organ knifed out of an Angel and plug it in was stupid. They do make a point to say a tenth of Nevada vanished instead of exploding.
>>
>>14575177

No, but hey, I'm sure you think it does. His point was that people's actions can't be justified or explained and you shouldn't even try. Which essentially means their actions are random. If that was true, psychology wouldn't exist, since every session would be the same "Why did X? Random. But why? It's just a random thing, don't worry about it. End".
>>
>>14572742
Gendo is a bad boy who gets into fights and whatnot.

It's attractive.
>>
>>14575115
>What did Gendo actually do, other than assembling a team of people with severe personality disorders and driving one of them to a murder suicide?
He controlled a nation-sized budget and managed the entire organisation. He is the CEO, he got things done. He manipulated everyone into doing his bidding, and that included both Doctor Akagi senior and junior. It was a hard job, and only a ruthless man like Gendo could have pulled it off. SEELE is like share holders watching Gendo spending their money. And he does a good enough job as to be kept alive so long.
>>
>>14575243
I was with you until you brought up the pseudoscience that is psychology. An "academic" domain in which the overwhelming majority of studies don't even replicate when the studies are redone is not really worth shit.

Psychology is the alchemy of the 20th century.
>>
>>14572742
He had wild ambition and delivered where it counts, hence why he the leader of nerve and make drop anyone's panties, also cuck fuyutski so hard he became his second in command with barely any complaints
>>
File: 1327902973058.jpg (783KB, 1000x979px) Image search: [Google]
1327902973058.jpg
783KB, 1000x979px
>>14575491
I made a thread about it but, that shit isn't gonna fly.
So in the end which was the better of the two in forms of ending, substance and overall finale. Rebuilds and that shit aside I wanna know what you think is the preference when it comes to the anime vs the manga for evangelion.
As for the question of the thread i feel like >>14575244
Has more or less the right ideas as to why they hooked up.
>>
>>14574725
His birthday is really close to being exactly 9 months after SI. That's what I was trying to say.
>>
>>14574535
She loved Shinji. It's pretty much how Eva01 moves and goes berserk when he's in danger.
>>
Why does kaji turn down asuka's advances in the manga? Is it because it's not cool to fuck a 15 year old or it it because of his brother? (aka the same reason he dumped misato)
>>
>>14576422
Dick wouldn't fit.
>>
>>14575541
Manga up until End of Evangelion where Sadamoto shits the bed and misses the point of it entirely probably because he was rushing to finish it. There's a reason why the plot in Evangelion is secondary to the characterization mainly because its stupid and makes no damn sense. I mean sure Yui managed to fool everyone with prospects of ensuring humanity's legacy would live on into space for...whatever reason other than being crazy and she's lucky that Gendo was obsessed and broken enough to create clones of her and abandoned their son for the very moment shit hits the fan to act. Either Gendo is just that predictable or the the threw the plot out the window ages ago.
>>
>>14576211
>She loved Shinji.
So much that she purposely abandoned him in an "accident" leading him to depression.
>>
>>14576422
Because no matter what, you never stick your dick into crazy
>>
>>14577145
>you never stick your dick into crazy

>Fucks Misato
>>
>>14578051
That's how he learned his lesson anon.
>>
>>14576850
Do you find the ending with Shinji resetting the world into a normal place bizarre, unfitting or anything of the sort? I feel like the anime ends on the perfect note. The possibility of Shenji redoing the world in his way of choosing rather than the endless eden of red oceans and a dead eve.
>>
>>14578538
It feels like a copy of Rahxephon which was a show that had its shit together in terms of plot even if the characters weren't as memorable. I like the resolution between Shinji and his parents but I feel that its a tad too abrupt with no sense of clarity. The endings to the anime feel a lot more natural that Shinji's decision leads to an ambiguous end where you're wondering where he will end up next in life while the manga just gives a hamfisted and chessy epilogue where he's been rebooted into another world where he doesn't get to fight anymore and is off to boarding school and meets a cute girl named Asuka....feels sort of cheap really.
>>
>>14578780
Mmm i personally like to consider all the endings canon in one way or another, where they're all separate universes Shinji had made be it the right way to go or not. As for the Rebuild films.. i like to think of them as a continuation of Shinji's last moments of a hard reset. Like he keeps in all the things that happen and remake the world to where he can redo everything and see if he can come to a better completion. Thats the only reason the Rebuilds are ok in my book... but yeah happy normal life manga ending is fine in that it parallels the pure apocalypse that is EoE.
>>
>>14576785
Fit yourself into a casket and die.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 800x600px
He got that dicc
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.