[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly happened with the last few episodes? Rumors about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: Eva-01_holding_Kaworu_(NGE).png (257KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Eva-01_holding_Kaworu_(NGE).png
257KB, 640x480px
What exactly happened with the last few episodes?

Rumors about stuff like Anno blowing the budget on pill binges is what I've heard for years, but is there anything concrete in commentaries and art books?

What happened to the budget? And why was it all so slapdash?

I'd just like to have some more concrete ideas rather than Tv Tropes tier rumors and hear-say.
>>
>>14559329
I think either the studio or network cut their funding halfway through the show and they just finally ran out at the end even with the budget cuts.
>>
>>14559329
You mean the backgroundless pencil-sketch animation?
Nothing happened. It was that way on purpose. The ending went exactly according to plan. The story was about an adolescent boy grasping his own identity, it just happened to take place during an apocalyptic war against old-testament angels, and with the completion of Shinji's path to self-determination the story was over.

Then a bunch of people cried about not getting to see a literal ending to the giant robot setting, wanting to see Asuka show off competently again, wanting more exposition/explanation about this end-of-the-world nonsense, etc so they made End Of Evangelion to shut everyone up, and made Death And Rebirth to add a little extra set-up for the things they added to the story in End.
>>
>>14559329
>Anno blowing the budget on pill binges

What? Where did this shit start?
>>
>>14559362
Except this is Gainax.
For one, they did the same shit with Gunbuster where they couldn't afford to properly animate the final battle.
Evangelion throughout has had a lot of obvious budget-saving animation.
>>
>>14559329

There's an old rumor I head once that Anno once did a bunch of coke and got into a fistfight with Oshii.

I'd pay for footage of that.
>>
>>14559329
iirc they had a huge embezzlement and fraud scam perpetrated by some of their staff around the time of evangelions production that wasn't discovered until around 98-2000

that might have contributed to the whole "the show is doing well, wheres the money?"
>>
>>14559329
The networks didn't like the gore and told Anno to tone it down, Anno said "nah, it's staying," so the networks slashed the budget. They literally ran out of money at the end.
>>
>>14559329
It's a combo of budget being slashed due to the dark tone the series takes in the later half and the embezzlement that was going on behind the scenes. Also, several of the later angel battles were a bitch to animate at the time and went WAY over-budget. (for example the famous episode 19)

We know the original plan for episodes 25 and 26 was basically a form of End of Eva. (You can see several key moments in the original previews for episode 25)
>>
>>14559329
While it was due to the budget cuts, anyone else think the pause from this episode was really iconic? It's one of those moments that never would have happened if the funding had been available.

Letting the Ode to Joy finish playing out raises the dramatic tension dramatically.
>>
>>14559329
Scheduling issues. The TV stations were requesting toned down content, so they got less and less time to finish the episodes. The Sarin gass attack also put a wrench in things.

The last episode was aired as it was always intended though, which is something a lot of people don't know about.
>>
>>14559977
>Also, several of the later angel battles were a bitch to animate at the time and went WAY over-budget. (for example the famous episode 19)

Episode 19 was done by Iso w/ his full-limited style, that shit SAVES money, not waste it.
>>
The thing about Adam actually being Lilith was a last-minute asspull by Anno.
>>
>>14559987
Nearly everybody who has seen Evangelion thinks it's arguably the most iconic scene in the entire series.
>>
>>14559977
>We know the original plan for episodes 25 and 26 was basically a form of End of Eva

This is not true. Only episode 25 is like what we got in the first half of EoE, and was supposed to be like that before the production got turned upside down once the networks refused to air it since Gainax had previously pulled their leg with other episodes in Eva (Anno told the network executives that he'd changed the episode but sent them the unchanged version, to their dismay).

The aired episode 26 was always supposed to be like that, just with a proper lead in from episode 25 which we never got.
>>
>>14559925
You remember incorrectly. Gainax tried to avoid paying taxes so they cooked the books, but that was after Evangelion ended.
>>
>>14559885
The final battle was in episode 5.
>>
>>14560035
No, episode 19 was not animated by Iso alone. Why are there so many people spreading so much bullshit here? He only animated the eating scene/Unit 1 going ape.
>>
>>14559885

They claimed the final Gunbuster episode and battle was a stylistic choice they made both so wouldn't have to top the last battle, and to demostrate that the battle couldn't actually be won with a flashy epic animated big fight.

They could be full of shit though.
>>
File: GainaxCharacter2.jpg (439KB, 2000x1424px) Image search: [Google]
GainaxCharacter2.jpg
439KB, 2000x1424px
>>14562581
>They could be full of shit though.

It's Gainax and if there is something a group of hardcore animation nerds like them wouldn't ever do, it is to simply stop animating so as to not top themselves.
>>
>>14562659
You're retarded. The final episode was done in black-and-white, which costs a lot more to make. Why would they go through all that if they were having budget problems? inb4 that took up the budget because if Gainax is so obsessed with animating fights over the meaning of the episode then they would have kept it in color to animate the fight.

A fight would have been out of place because episode 6 wasn't about that.
>>
>>14562666
>You're retarded. The final episode was done in black-and-white, which costs a lot more to make.
>static pencil sketches
>more expensive than any form of animation, let alone colored animation
I'm no saying anything about the last part at all and I know fuck all about how expensive it is to produce black and white stuff of decent quality.
Even if it did cost a fuckton to make the ending look like it did, it only supports the theory of blowing the budget on eye candy and not being able to animate the battle properly because of it.
>>
>>14562712
No, I just explained this. They could have animated a battle or they could have animated B&W. One would have been chosen in the mindset that a bigger flasier battle had to be made. The other would have been chosen if they thought that last episode was te climax battle and that they weren't meant to top it, in part because it would take focus away from the important part of the episode? Guess which happened?
>>
>>14562728
The battle had no detailing because of lack of funds still, which is my original argument.
>>
>>14562740
No, they chose not to animate it for a reason.
>>
Regardless of what shitposters will say, I think Evangelion benefited in a way from those weird budget cuts. Sure, there's some weird janky bits we see, like in the fight between possessed unit 2 and unit 1, but in those episodes, we saw some of the most iconic anime shots of all time. The elevator shot, OP's image, and the vacant central dogma, and in those shots, they were forced to get creative with how they presented the narrative. Communication to the audience through audio rather than video was imperative to pull off those scenes. The ambience and eeriness we felt in earlier episodes was amplified by these static, surreal snapshots. The other side of it is, a great anime isnt measured in frames per second, and while evangelion at times changes that metric to frames per minute, the storytelling is never compromised.
>>
>>14562748
It is out of place with the rest of the episode and the rest of the series as a whole.
They most likely wanted it to be composed of static shots to simply convey a battle since there was no time but it was still not finished pictures because of budgetary reasons.
>>
>>14562779
Or maybe because no matter what they animated, they wouldn't do it justice. So instead, they allowed their audience to use their imagination. Wow, what a concept!
>>
>>14559329
http://kasaya.sakura.ne.jp/nerv/kaibunsyo/kai-04.html
>>
>>14562784
By that logic, go read a book. Your imagination can give you all the flashy battles you could ever conceive of, why have a budget for animation at all!
>>
>>14562799
Yes it has to be all or nothing, fucking genius anon you're a scholar and Gainax should have hired you to ruin episode 6 for everyone
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.