[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, there is no way to get the Macross license away from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 22

File: HarmonyGoldLogoHDTV.jpg (221KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HarmonyGoldLogoHDTV.jpg
221KB, 1920x1080px
So, there is no way to get the Macross license away from these guys, is there?
>>
>>14491593
Why would you want shitty localizations and worst of all dubs ruining Macross?

Delta BDs will come with english subs. Japan is providing everything you need directly, without useless middlemen.
>>
Why are there so many threads bitching about Harmony Gold/Robotech and so few actually talking about Macross? Do you guys not have anything else to say except for complaining about how Harmony Gold is stopping you from buying the show that you're going to pirate anyway?
>>
>>14491600
Nigga some times it's gay as shit to import games.
>>
>>14491642
there are macross threads all the time right now. There is a macross airing. The only reason you're seeing these threads is because of the few angry dubfags who can't get anything macross.
>>
>>14491654
>Nigga some times it's gay as shit to import games.

If your importer requires you to suck his dick or take it up the ass, you MIGHT want to consider finding a new importer. Cause either you're none too bright or that motherfucker's conning you hard.
>>
This isn't about getting the shows in English, by the way. I just want the fuckers to stop making money off of it.
>>
>>14491741
I don't think Harmony Gold has made money off the anime division in years, I'm pretty sure they just do it so they can tell everyone how they brought anime to the west and saved japan from bankruptcy or something.
>>
Now Im a huge Robotech fag but even I hate what HG has done to you macross fags. I don't even know why they keep the IP. Even Shadow Chronicles came out like a decade ago
>>
>>14491600
Only $100 a pop for 2-3 episodes :)

but it's okay because it isn't touched by filthy american hands :) :)
>>
>>14491600
There is one thing I'd have liked to have been localized: Macross 30. That's never going to happen now.
>>
File: 1465002325721.png (2MB, 902x789px) Image search: [Google]
1465002325721.png
2MB, 902x789px
>>
File: 1463543373047.jpg (261KB, 900x785px) Image search: [Google]
1463543373047.jpg
261KB, 900x785px
>>14491840
I love this.
>>
>>14491600
>9 vols
>$80-$90 each + shipping for each
>spend close $1000 for one series
>>
>>14491800
I remember I went to Otakon in 2007 and saw it at the HG panel. There was hardly anybody there.

Which was great because they had a giveaway and I got the animeigo Macross box set for free.
>>
>>14491907
Seriously, how do BDs ever sell when they're that expensive? The cost of living in Japan is high enough as it is, and they still seriously expect people to be able to fork over a fucking month's rent for a cartoon?

The increase in quality isn't even close to being high enough to justify that price over just simply getting the DVDs
>>
>Macross fags will never not be salty

and I will never stop laughing
>>
>>14492004
How much do DVDs cost in japan?
>>
>>14492004
Is it maybe because it's seen as a collector's market? I don't know how much streaming and digital media has caught on in Japan.

DVD/BD sales in the west definitely aren't what they used to be so prices like that here are unimaginable.
>>
>>14492022
If Amazon's anything to go by (and I know it isn't, but nonetheless), you can get the entirety of Macross Frontier + the movies on DVD for the same price as one episode on BD.
>>
>>14492018
Robotechfags don't really get to laugh at anyone but themselves.
>>
>>14492113

except the guy bitching about some 30 year old cartoon he has easy access too anyways.
>>
AND
>>
>>14492145
WE
>>
>>14492165
AT
>>
>>14492004
Never really figured that one out myself but the dvd aren't much better either they are like $60 for the same ep count.
>>
>>14491593
Arent they mainly living off slum estates and money laundering or something?
>>
>>14491808
I don't get the sentiment of "aahh nooo don't let American companies touuuchhh the animuuu!" like with
>>14491600
Nigga they let us own the shit for a 60+% discount, and they provide an additional spoken language option (option, yes, they typically don't FORCE you to watch it dubbed if you don't want to). The localizations we get now are actually extremely solid, often with little to no drastic alterations or edits to the details of the story.
Plus, HG already gave us a "shitty localizations and worst of all dub" for Macross, called Robotech.

Besides how the fuck does a dub "ruin" anything? The whole world doesn't go "that show is shot because it was dubbed poorly", they say "that show was good, but don't watch the dub, it's bad", and often, they're serviceable, even good, anyway.
>>
>>14492004
That's what happens when you abuse NEET otaku and getting their parents money to fuel their autism.
>>
>>14491593
It's easy. Satelight, BigWest, Bandai Namco or whoever holds the IP and all distribution rights just need to go to american court and take both Macross copyright and trademark back. The problem is that such cases are always complicated. It can take few years and more than 1 million dollars in expenses. Even if they win they won't be able to get their money back. Selling streaming license to CR would cover maybe 1/10th of that.
>>
>>14491642
>Why are there so many threads bitching about Harmony Gold

Somebody working at HG makes them obviously.
>>
>>14493212
Getting shat at is the only way Jewry Gold can be relevant.
>>
>>14493212
It does feel like we get an HG or a Robotech thread like at least once a week lately when there wasn't before
>>
>>14492320
ROBOTECHX.COM
>>
>>14492004
They actually have a rental market.
>>
>>14493257
getting daily macross threads due to a macross airing. HG threads feel bi-weekly at most. But it's pretty much given that the subject would be brought up more at the current part.
>>
There's really no way to win against patent/trademark trolls other than murdering them.
HG can't have that many employees. Kill a few and see what happens.
>>
>>14493346
Out of all of the "Japan is weird" things, that is possibly the weirdest.

Is there any particular reason streaming didn't kill rentals over there like it did in the rest of civilization?
>>
>>14493634
Smaller country probably.
>>
>>14493635
which leads to more widespread internet availability.
>>
>>14491822
That game was terrible, though. Far cry away from Artdink's PSP titles.

Way too slow and the grinding is way less fun.

I'd rather shit like the PS3 blu-rays that came with the games get localized.
>>
>>14494577
aren't those super short titles using the same engine in far more limited environments?
>>
>>14493665
I wouldn't be surprised if most nips don't have computers strong enough to stream past 480p
>>
>>14493634
>Japan
>change
yeah nah
>>
>>14491741
>This isn't about getting the shows in English, by the way. I just want the fuckers to stop making money off of it.

Speak for yourself man. I on the contrary would love to have 7, Frontier and Delta dubbed in English, and it pains me that we cannot have this because of Harmony Shit.
>>
>>14493634
People in Japan like what they know and stick with it. Especially so in the case of old men that run the place
>>
>>14494844
I'd really just be fine with a legal stream of the series' honestly. But I can't even get that.
>>
>>14491874

Why would they even have a RoboTech panel? It hasn't had anything for 30 years.
>>
>>14493257

It's summer time and all the little kids are out of school and eager to show how hardcore they are
>>
>>14495216
They like to pretend they're still relevant and that they invented anime or something.
>>
>>14493293
ARE
>>
>>14491593
Sure there is.

But nobody wants it. All it takes is a bid.

Meanwhile keep pirating or import.
>>
>>14491741
>Macross
>Making money

not in the West.
>>
>>14491808
Well I think expecting Japanese anime for American prices is kinda stupid. Reverse importing is a real threat.
>>
>>14493136
Supposedly they looked at the contract (If there are still people who don't know, it provides exclusive rights to HG and has no expiry date.), decided it wasn't worth their time or money to deal with and left it.

To the Japanese Execs, it's America's problem and America has to deal with it.
>>
>>14493293
ALL
>>
>>14495750
LAUGHING
>>
>>14491593
Copyright troll company that's dealing in money laundering and other shady business.

Cant blame nips to not want to do business with the west, when we have such special examples at what to expect
>>
>>14495147
This, the old people, which is a big demographic in Japan are the one who keep the old things alive as along as they don't consider it broke.
>>
>>14499512
Which is a good idea. I wish more of the world would think in "dont fix it if it aint broke".

Anytime youtube changes something in it's design it turns out worse in the end.
>>
>>14491593
Offer enough money to make them wanna sell it.
>>
>>14491741
>I just want the fuckers to stop making money off of it.

What the fuck have they made money off of in like the last 12 years? Robotech is so dead they can't even get their religious cult to throw enough money at their kickstarter for a new entry.
>>
>>14501015
Real estate, obviously. They're apparently good enough at doing that to stay afloat.
>>
How much is the Robotech/Macross franchise worth? I want to purchase rights to it whenever I win the lottery.

>tfw you will never be a succesful, up-and-coming personality in the cinema business
>ywn negotiate for years with Harmony Gold, Big West and Studio Nue over obtaining Harmony Shit's rights to the franchises
>ywn commandeer the franchise and kick it into over-drive in getting it known, beloved and profitable all across the world, like it deserves
>ywn be in charge of a big budget tv show remake of the original series
>Macross will never be a household name

fug :((
>>
>>14501174
oh anon for the macross franchise alone, you need to be Donald trump rich. Macross is a muiti billion doller franchise. While robotech can be bought cheaply, we talking HG here they will went billions for nothing.
>>
>>14501311
Talking more ownership over Robotech, and partnership(what I assume Harmony Gold has)for Macross.

Hell, just being allowed to use it would be a dream.
>>
>>14501071
It's literally impossible to fail at real estate, just ask Trump.

Buy low, wait for the next economic boom and sell high.
>>
While I wouldn't mind ENG dubs if done right, it's not only about that. It's about being able to play the games without going to Japanese language classes or collecting the Valkyrie models without destroying your wallet. Plus Macross could really use the boost in publicity. I know the internet is good for knowing shit but there are some Robofags who honestly don't know there are sequels to the adventures of "Rick Hunter".
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhqfdpIkXKA
>>
How much money would it reasonably take to buy Macross back from Harmony Gold?
>>
File: Trade it for this apple.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Trade it for this apple.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
>>14502288
They're not selling it, anon.
The reasonable price is pretty low for IP standards but they've shown time and time again they are not going to agree on something reasonable.
>>
I think HG are banking on the million in one shot that Robotech movie will get made (it wont) so they'll just sit on it forever. The only real chance to get out of the deadlock is for HG to go under.
>>
File: tumblr_nczpq9LQTU1qbpki9o1_1280.jpg (319KB, 1152x647px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nczpq9LQTU1qbpki9o1_1280.jpg
319KB, 1152x647px
>>14502312
It's not like Macross has a future in the US.
I very much doubt there's any chance the newer ones could become popular over there considering the Robotechfags by and large are disgusted by the idea of Macross and were only in it for the fighter jet design and relatively high tech detailed space saga that was all the hip back in the 80s.
>>
File: ReturnToMacross.png (603KB, 858x989px) Image search: [Google]
ReturnToMacross.png
603KB, 858x989px
>>14501374
>partnership(what I assume Harmony Gold has)for Macross.

There really is no partnership with Macross at all. Robotech is a completely unauthorized adaptation of the Macross universe and its marketed as a completely separate thing altogether, which is why there is legal clusterfuck all over the place about bringing Macross titles over and selling toys.

If you were willing to bunk up with Harmony Gold in the late 80s to early 90s, you would've had a chance. You certainly wouldn't be able to get a TV series started, but if you were willing to write or draw anything, they would take you on and let you do whatever the fuck you wanted with it in comic form. Nobody gave a shit about what Carl Macek wanted to do to with the franchise to the point where he just left and started his own dubbing business, so anyone could willingly volunteer to write stories and adaptations however they wanted without any real quality control; HG certainly didn't care if they were making bank off of it. Hell, you could just be some dude who couldn't draw for shit and you'd still be aloud to illustrate a story in one of several backwater publishing houses HG likes to shack up with. Seriously, look at pic related. LOOK...That's an official comic that was considered canon once.

Hell, Robotech is such a loose knitted universe, that most of the fanbase and anyone working at HG have absolutely no idea just what the fuck is going on. And Palladium just keeps throwing more monkey wrenches into the whole thing with their RPGs by further mucking up the timeline and getting weapon and ship specifics wrong because nobody keeps notes on this shit. They just make things up as they go. People have been taking Robotech and running with it for 30 years, and all of the lore and background stories are just filler from old fan stories and rewritten adaptations to scripts of projects that were never finished in the first place.
>>
>>14502325
What's with this massive delusion? Sure it wouldn't be Gundam by a long shot. And Gundam in the US isn't even as Gundam by a long shot. But it'd have something. A fringe presence, sort of like mecha in general. Instead of nothing. It'd probably become bigger elsewhere, like Europe, where it's also cockblocked. Robotech is just dead. A dead franchise for dying fans. Their opinions matters the least of all.

But yes, there's no huge numbers invovled here, else the franchise would've been taken back already.
>>
>>14502326
So what your saying is the only way to get Macross around the world is to nuke Robotech? Also, that comic reminds me of Goblins. Roy Focker is SAD! HE'S SAD!

>>14502325
>>14502367
I honestly think Macross has the potential to be the next Star Wars in terms of cultural significance and profitability.

It would need to be carefully handled though. Like, "planning out the whole franchise for the next ten years" kind of careful. But hey, if the shits at Marvel can do it for their capeshit, surely someone could pull it off with a giant roboshow?
>>
>>14501071
I was talking about in relation to Macross. Unless they're selling Macross themed homes.
>>
>>14505138
>I honestly think Macross has the potential to be the next Star Wars in terms of cultural significance and profitability.
Then you're kidding yourself. Everybody will think it's a ripoff of Robotech and ignore it. And no average Westerner wants to mix action with pop music.
>>
>>14505564
Then you're kidding yourself. Everybody will think it's a ripoff of Flash Gordon and ignore it. And no average Westerner wants to mix lazers with swords.
>>
File: sagan.jpg (153KB, 620x541px) Image search: [Google]
sagan.jpg
153KB, 620x541px
MFW
I like Macross AND Robotech.
I discovered Macross first at Books Nippan in Little Tokyo, and then soon after watched the premier of Robotech on KCOP 13.
I enjoyed them both. and still do. I never got my nuts in a bind over HG's reworking, and still don't get this whole choose sides and sling shit at each other.
>>
Robotech is garbage though. The dub is terrible, there's so much exposition in scenes that should be silent, the music is terrible, and some story elements are changed for the worst. The use of the word "Protoculture" is so awkward when referring to a space fuel that is never seen despite being mentioned so much. Also, their explanation for why Zentradi look like Humans is that is was just a massive coincidence. Like, what the fuck. Even tiny details like some of the female Zentradi being voiced by male voice actors is downright dumb. They even tried to explain this in some trash rpg game by saying males do the maintenance in female ships which totally destroys the whole segregation thing going on between both sexes within the Zentradi.
>>
>>14502312
Even if the movie is made now it won't amount to anything, thanks to Indepency Day going full scifi in the last movie and doing well enough to warrant a sequel if that movie is ever made people will just call it a ripoff and since their latest partnership is with Sony the project has even less of a chance of doing good
>>
>>14505724
Because HG has screwed over everyone who worked on the original series and made it impossible for Macross to expand outside of Japan. The show itself is no worse than Voltron in how it changes things and that's not the problem; Robotechx, empty seats at their panels and failed kicstarters just make us laugh. We only hate HG.
>>
>>14493634
>Is there any particular reason streaming didn't kill rentals over there like it did in the rest of civilization?
Same reason why every piece of western media isn't on netflix. Lots of different companies with their own interests in no rush to move forward.
You can stream some stuff off NND.
>>
>>14495324
why would someone sign a contract that literally fucks the future of your works?
>>
>>14509604
Because they didn't give a crap about the US market back then. It wasn't a thing.

They had no idea Macross or anime in general would catch on in the West.

I assume at the time they just saw the licensing as making a quick buck and that it wouldn't matter.
>>
>>14499101

They fucked themselves to be honest.
>>
>>14502295
That's a good point.

Macross isn't a high profile franchise in the West, it doesn't make any money for Harmony right now.

I'm guessing that the legal shitstorm keeps potential buyers away as well.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-18-00-21-21-1.png (517KB, 1232x619px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-18-00-21-21-1.png
517KB, 1232x619px
"Lol nothing new, but dat beard tho"
>>
>>14491593
>Approach Tatsunoko
>Buy the license
>Approach USPTO
>Invalidate the trademarks
Bam, you've got the rights to SDF Macross.

But nobody in the business wants to waste all that money for an 80s scifi series that wouldn't sell.
>>
>>14507147
>males do the maintenance in female ships
I thought a really big plot point of macross was Zentradi don't do maintenance on anything, was that changed in robotech?
>>
I think all males did was serve as janitors. Still defeats the purpose of gender segregation.
>>
>>14491593
Thing is. The music rights for 7, F, and now Delta, would be a major pain. Because both rights are going to be expensive, and you're going to be taking a big hit off this, if it doesn't sell well.

At most, Macross would make it over subbed, but no other dubs, besides Zero.
>>
Reading about all the failed projects related to Robotech in Wikipedia is both hilarious and sad.

They sold an old OVA from 1985 as a "new" movie in 2013 for God's sake it's just sad and pathetic.

And thinking about it made me realize there is an alternate universe where Harmony Gold holds the rights to Zero and the Magic Dragon a.k.a. Dragon Ball, and Toei is uninterested in trying to get the rights back because fuck gaijins, in that universe HG is trying to continue Zero and the Dragon through some decent novels, lame comics, RPG games, a cancelled N64 video game, a movie animated in Korean sweatshops called Zero and the Dragon: The Dark Stories and the canned sequel, a failed Kickstarter while people discuss in image boards how to get the copyrights back from them so Dragon Ball Super gets released here.
>>
>>14507147
the music wasn't all bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvXTC7LeIMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGcFxYwbjTs
>>
ROBOTECH (@RobotechNews) | Twitter

8 hours ago
The #SDCC #Robotech panel will take place on Thurs. (7/21) in Room 24ABC @ 8:30 pm
>>
>>14505668
Then you're kidding yourself. Everybody will think it's a ripoff of the John Carter series without the genocide and ignore it. And no average Westerner wants to mix spaceships and fantasy.
>>
>>14491600
Why, in G Gundam, is the English voice acting so much better than the Japanese?
>>
>>14518726
>Robotech: A Look into the Future

Kek. Robotech doesn't have a future. According to their facebook page, HG is still negotiating with Sony for the live action movie. Which means there is still no contracts signed, and Sony could back out of the deal. Since HG can't produce any new Robotech series on their own, it's going to be the final nail to the coffin if Sony backs out or the negotiations fail.
>>
>>14518995
>Kek. Robotech doesn't have a future. According to their facebook page, HG is still negotiating with Sony for the live action movie. Which means there is still no contracts signed, and Sony could back out of the deal. Since HG can't produce any new Robotech series on their own, it's going to be the final nail to the coffin if Sony backs out or the negotiations fail.

If Sony has a brain they'll let go of Harmony Gold and Robotech. Hire some talented science fiction writers to come up with a good script for a multi-generational alien invasion story and give the finger the HG. I still don't understand what does Sony get out of the deal with HG. The name "Robotech" that has no recognition beyond 10 old time fans? Whay exactly is HG bringing to the table that Sony can't do on its own ?
>>
>>14513600
1 piracy
2 you can import Macross from Japan, a lot of the shows have DVDs or blurays with English subs

Macross is perfectly available. Stop complaining.
>>
>>14518890
Macross is FAR too Japanese for your average Western normalfag.

Seriously.
>>
>>14519084
Maybe the newer ones, but SDF Macross, DYRL, II and Plus are all pretty accessible if you like sci-fi.
>>
>>14519079
Aside from the games.
>>
>>14505724
>robotech on kcop
hmm dont remember what channel it was on
>>
File: 1454957406380.png (26KB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
1454957406380.png
26KB, 280x200px
>>14519248
>DYRL, II
>accessible
>>
>>14519248
DRYL plot is the same brand of Japanese stupidity ala 7, Frontier and Delta where the fate of the universe relies on and idol's song.

II isn't accessible to anyone.
>>
>>14519945
>II isn't accessible to anyone.
II was literally my entry to the franchise. They used to run it on Sci-Fi back in the day too. Its plot is probably the most straight forward and easy to understand one in the entire franchise, and it focuses on just the main characters. Don't be an idiot.
>>
>>14492004
>The cost of living in Japan is high enough as it is
They also make more than we do.

Other countries have insane prices for entertainment and toys compared to us but it also evens out because they have a higher minimum wage.
>>
>>14518726

So...is anyone catching the shitshow?
>>
>>14525466
There will likely be someone to film it and post it on youtube. Robotechx staff are usually front-and-center on this shit because...well, its kinda their job anyway. At least, when Harmony Gold is bringing along guest appearances for a "big reveal". The producers of the movie are supposed to be at this one.
>>
Harmony Gold's position has always been that they're not opposed to getting more Macross titles released by an existing distribution company like Funimation, Section 23 or Crunchyroll, but if that happens, Harmony Gold wants a piece of the action. So the real question is, how much money are they actually asking for?
>>
>>14519001
>if Sony has a brain
Well now you see the problem
>>
>>14494844
>7 dubbed in english

I love 7, it's my favorite Macross series, but that would be a nightmare to dub the songs I would think.
>>
>>14525679
To get the rights for them, you mean? Because some of them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiyyxcEhpkc
>>
>>14525642
But they don't deserve any money for a product they had nothing to do with, nor own a license for. That's extortion. HG can go suck a bag of dicks.

>>14525558
>Robotechx staff

You mean that one autist who types in all caps and spent his families savings paying/flying robotech voice actors to south america, wrecking his marriage, but still can't get a job with HG? That robotechx staff?
>>
>>14525769
>But they don't deserve any money for a product they had nothing to do with, nor own a license for. That's extortion. HG can go suck a bag of dicks.

They believe this is what they're entitled to according to the contract that they signed in perpetuity with Tatsunoko, and as it's been mentioned before, nobody wants to try suing them to get the contract nullified.
>>
>>14525845
>They believe this is what they're entitled to according to the contract that they signed in perpetuity with Tatsunoko

Wrong on both counts. They know their contract doesn't entitle them to anything, that's why they trademarked the word "macross". The contract does expire, it's been renewed about 3 times since the original agreement, the current license expires in 2021 iirc.

>nobody wants to try suing them to get the contract nullified.
It's not about the contract. since the courts settled the copyright dispute around 2004, HG blocks imports with the macross trademark. It's a dick move but perfectly legal since they were the first to market macross in the USA and still sell a product with macross in the title (the macross saga).
>>
File: The_Warp.jpg (219KB, 2048x1228px) Image search: [Google]
The_Warp.jpg
219KB, 2048x1228px
>>14525769
Well him and Sighup.

Also, no videos yet on the presentation panel, but at least Harmony Gold gave us this little picture of every single Robotech fan left in America. Just look at all of them free posters!
>>
>>14518968
It's not. Only Domon's english VA is better because he's angry all the time. The rest are shit. I mean being campy is one thing but besides Chibodee everyone's as deadpan as Argo which is strange shit.
>>
>>14525908
>HG blocks easymode imports for plebs
if you can't get Macross merch in the USA you're not even trying
>>
>>14526630
Ok I'd like english versions of all the best macross games where can I get those?
>>
>>14525916

I like the guy hiding his face in the front row. He doesn't want everyone to know his shame.

Also go figure, the only folks who care about Robotech and COMIC BOOK nerds.
>>
>>14526645
>english versions
like I said, easymode
>>
>>14491593
So how did Macross Plus manage to slip past their net?
>>
>>14525916
>>14526975
Its also funny because this was likely taken right when they were ready to begin their presentation. Everyone is making it known how pissed off they were by the time it was over.

It turns out that the producers didn't show at all, it was another pre-recorded video talking about how they were STILL working on the script, that its now in the "final draft" phase, and that they congratulate James Wan on his "vision" for Robotech". What's that "vision" you ask? Why that lame ass 50 second long interview IGN did with James Wan where he seems to have no fucking clue that he can't use Macross and that he has no idea when he's going to be part of the film. So in other words, nothing is being done on the movie and its still stuck.

The rest of the presentation was just more Harmony Gold sales pitches with some more fucked up toys from Toynami, a virtual prototype of a Hikaru/Rick statue, and comics from Titan. Which by the way, more fans were pissed off because, ta-da, all the concept artwork they showed for the comics was just more rehashes of Macross (in pic-related) and not Masters or New Generation saga stories like the small majority of the fanbase wants.

Oh, and they pretty much spent the remainder of the whole thing wanking off to how 'fantastic' Crackle is and that Robotech is the "#1 anime entry" they ever had.

Yup, it is indeed a wonderful year to be a Robotech fan. The best has yet to cum!
>>
>>14527608

Do you have any quotes of the pissed off people? Like on twitter?
>>
>>14527608
Ahahah the robotech artist is using a yamato/arcadia macross toy as a reference. Those notches in the forearms are for the toy to attach the fast packs, and look at the double jointed elbows, they're not present in the "real" vf-1 line art.
>>
>>14528643
He's even included the little folding hook on the toy that holds the backpack in place for battroid mode. That's definitely not a canon vf-1 part!
>>
File: Fans.png (774KB, 1407x873px) Image search: [Google]
Fans.png
774KB, 1407x873px
>>14527962
Here's a compilation of responses in no particular order except in replies.
>>
>>14530389
is it wrong i want that minmay?
>>
>>14530754
Not really. Its the Toynami veritechs you need to watch out for. Besides, the Minmay plush is San Diego Con exclusive.
>>
>>14526645
Even if by some miracle Harmony Gold was taken out of the picture, you wouldn't be getting those anyway. I know they're responsible for a lot of dumb shit, but blaming them for something like that is being a delusional fanboy.
>>
>>14530892
yeah but what are the chances they actually sell out of her?
>>
>>14530960
Likely very high since HG's distributors are all about producing light and pricing high. There's a growing number of people finding little interest in Robotech merch, so they have to cash on on their nostalgia croqd as much as possible.
>>
>>14530916
maybe not the older games, but future games would have a chance at bi/multi-lingual release. Or western port.
>>
>>14530916
Yes we could. Kawamori himself said he's considering releasing the Delta video games in the west.
>>
>>14493221
>Jewry Gold

Aren't they Italian?
>>
>>14531649
Bull pocky. He doesn't really have a say in the matter.
>>
>>14532286
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/05/28/shoji-kawamori-on-macross-delta-and-his-hopes-for-the-series/#7e14f10f1210
Suck my dick he doesn't have a say in the matter.
>owner of Satelite
>creator of the fucking franchise
>approves every toy and game
Macross is his baby and he always has a say in it.
>>
>>14513320
Why do you even keep with this bullshit lie these days? Symphogear showed that "music rights are expensive" is pure refines bullshit and now with Delta being made by the same company as Symphogear that excuse is just another way of finding Robotech apologists
>>
>>14519001
>If Sony has a brain they'll let go of Harmony Gold and Robotech
They have showed they lack precisely that in the last few years with their fucktarded movie strategy to tank every single movie franchise they had
>>
File: 1466648034991.jpg (69KB, 306x331px) Image search: [Google]
1466648034991.jpg
69KB, 306x331px
>>14525769
>You mean that one autist who types in all caps and spent his families savings paying/flying robotech voice actors to south america, wrecking his marriage, but still can't get a job with HG? That robotechx staff?
What the fuck, explain this insanity, where can I read it
>>
>>14532390
Now that their attempt to start a ghostbusters cinematic universe flopped so hard they're probably even less interested in a robotech movie. They were already hurting and it just got worse.

Or maybe they're desperate enough to throw money at a dead ip with shitloads of PR baggage who knows.
>>
>>14532341
Satelite doesn't develop the games. You're essentially saying Tomino could have gotten the Gundam Vs. games over here if he really tried hard enough.
>>
File: 4273754849.png (20KB, 950x231px) Image search: [Google]
4273754849.png
20KB, 950x231px
>>14532397
http://www.robotechx.com/forum/user/62-memo1dominion.html
This guy. ALL of his posts are in caps for some reason.
>>
Change the name to Krosmax and change all the hair colors

Done
>>
>>14491593
There is but it's expensive. Most modern anime importers are operating on lower budgets than they were in the 80s and 90s, which goes hand-in-hand with the decreased economic performance of the USA. They devote a lot fewer resources to trying to get series and localizing them, which is part of why they moved away from the 4kids edit/Carl Macek rewriting style that they used in the 90s. It's all about lowering costs, increasing returns, and putting money in the shareholders' pockets. Nobody would be willing to spend money to get a license that hasn't made a profit in the US since 1991.
>>
>>14491788
Harmony Gold just licensed a Korean submarine scifi animu. They're making bank.
>>
>>14532380
>>14513320
It depends entirely on the music publisher and agent. The company that handles Fire Bomber is known to be dicks about their properties and charge an arm and a leg for licensing. Plus, in Japan, most of the money is made off of merchandising, not the series. But anime merchandise doesn't sell in the US.
>>
>>14527608
What is Crackle and what kind of toys is Toynami producing?
>>
File: 1418331027018.jpg (131KB, 697x773px) Image search: [Google]
1418331027018.jpg
131KB, 697x773px
I want to make Macross shoot 'em up game.

I need models for the Valkyrie, the Quadluun, the Nousadulger, the Regult, and others. I was thinking of getting the Robotech game off Ebay along with the Perfect Memory book, and use both as a reference to make 3d models for them all.

Game would be real simple:

Map is just a big city; mix of tall and short buildings. wave after wave comes at you.

after a certain number of waves, you face a boss. then, that boss is reincorporated as standard units(ie, first boss is a Glaug. couple waves later, your blasting two or three glaugs every wave)

So I ask: How are the models in the box set? I heard they were fairly good quality.
>>
>>14532688
>What is Crackle
Shitty version of Netflix.
>>
>>14532416
Ghostbusters 2 is already in the works. Ghostbusters opened with the biggest opening weekend a comedy movie has seen since Pitch Perfect 2. Ghostbusters has more star power than Star Trek or Ice Age this weekend, which means more people will want to see it for the actresses. Ghostbusters opened in a bunch of new overseas markets this weekend too.

It's not a flop until it's over, but all signs are that it'll be big.
>>
>>14532703
So, what, Robotech is streaming on Crackle now? Is it subscription-based?

Is it named for the crunching of popcorn?
>>
>>14532734
>So, what, Robotech is streaming on Crackle now?
Yes. It was on NEtflix, but it got taken off for some reason.

>Is it subscription-based?
Nope. Dont think so.

>Is it named for the crunching of popcorn?probably
>>
>>14532730
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1537580/apparently-little-boys-are-buying-ghostbusters-toys-and-thats-a-big-deal

See the merchandise sales? That's all Sony needs for it to be a success. That's what was supposed to make Robotech Shadow Chronicles a success, but they failed.
>>
>>14532730
>Ghostbusters 2 is already in the works.

no it's not. Go be fucking retarded somewhere else. Inb4 dodgy chinese website.
>>
File: 1312505397248.jpg (54KB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
1312505397248.jpg
54KB, 360x202px
>>14532767
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ghostbusters+2016+Sequel&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=
>>
>>14532780
That article doesn't say there's going to be a sequel. The only site making the sequel claim is chinese.
>>
all this talk of live actions and I'm just sitting here waiting for news on the Yukikaze movie.

I'm fine with Cruise being in the film if he plays Jack rather than whitewashing Rei.
>>
>>14532590
His kid's college money gone, blew it all to party with some HG representatives and voice actors. His wife divorced him and took the kids with her.
>>
>>14532700
Have fun getting sued up the ass by HG
>>
File: ToynamiVeritechHIGHQUALITY.png (297KB, 533x218px) Image search: [Google]
ToynamiVeritechHIGHQUALITY.png
297KB, 533x218px
>>14532688
Crackle is a free non-subscription stream service by Sony that is not only home to one of the shittiest streaming libraries, but its also loaded with commercials in each and every movie and TV episode. And not just two or three quick 14 second commercials either, we're talking 4 full 20-30 second commercials in groups of 3's divided into 3 to 5 segments depending if its a movie or episode. Harmony Gold doesn't want to re-establish their contract with Netflix because that shit costs money, so they're trying to get their fans to stream on this shitty website. Unfortunately for them, most of the American fanbase dont want to use it because their Internet is shit and its easier to watch them on one of many Robotech DVD boxsets that they bought over the years. Meanwhile, the main South American fanbase can't use it because HG didn't read the fine print that Crackle is only accessible to bits and peaces of their country and various locations overseas, and even if you sit in Crackle's service line, you only get a fraction of the library if you live outside of the US or Canada. Robotech happens to be one of the shows that's restricted and foreign fans are complaining up and down HG's facebook and twitter that they can't watch anything. They unwittingly locked out their core fanbase.

Toynami is a low-key toy company that is mostly known for its Simpsons and Futurama toys. HG has been trying to get them to make sophisticated transformable plastic and metal Robotech toys since the early 2000s, and all they make is very overpriced toys with such cheap parts and manufacturing that they are widely known to break. Like, a lot. Most of the toy reviews on youtube feature Veritechs with missing and faulty parts (the most common is the hands disintegrate), and they're a nightmare to transform without breaking them even more. Seriously, look at the picture; They even display these things BROKEN. They don't give a shit!
>>
>>14532700
You wanna still do this, anon? Because I've been wanting to, too. More as a "homage" to Macross like Rivals of Aether was to Smash Bros.
>>
File: 1343248018357.jpg (108KB, 565x424px)
1343248018357.jpg
108KB, 565x424px
>>14532590

FUCK maverick, that guy has no taste in anime and rages at people for questioning H.G. Every time he talks shit like he knows everything is wrong.

1. the macross video games for does gambiting arcade games out. (maverick) guys looks like macross is out of steam and making a new reboot of the franchise, while robotech is still strong with a life action movie coming out. ( i seriously wanted to murder that guy on the spot)

2.Guy ask about the 2 frontier movies ( maverick). Don't watch it, all they did was take scenes from the show and add 20 minutes of new scenes.
3. Why didn't use monster mechs like they did in macross frontier to fight the invid. (maverick). Their no need for monsters sense, sense the beta and alpha are smeller versions with more missiles...65 pages later which points out on how full of shit his argument is get angry and bans half of the posters..in already died site.
>>
>>14534951
oh yeah boi

I was gfoing to get the box set, laugh at how much of a Battletech ripoff it is, then take pcitures of the models from multiple angels. Then, I put those pictures into Blendr to make the models. Then, I'll google how to make textures.
>>
>>14534779
>shittiest streaming libraries
Apparently I was watching Roughnecks: Starship Troopers on it. Where else could I watch that for free?
>>
>>14534779
>Harmony Gold doesn't want to re-establish their contract with Netflix because that shit costs money
The fuck? Netflix pays media bundlers to get series on their website, the media producers don't pay Netflix. Remember what happened with Starz? That's why Netflix lacks a lot of the more recent movies and series; Starz wanted to charge them outrageous amounts of money for continued streaming rights because it's owned by the movie studios and they'd rather promote Hulu and Ultraviolet if they can't convince people to shell out for BDs.

You don't use streaming to maintain a fanbase; you use streaming to promote a franchise and reach out to new fans. What the fuck is Harmony Gold thinking?

And South America is their main fanbase? Nobody buys DVDs down there, they just pirate or stream it.
>>
>>14535528
Download it?...With the DVD collections being out of print and becoming difficult to find what is really holding anyone back from just illegally obtaining it at this point. Especially when you don't need to get held up by ads all the time.
>>
Harmony Gold really is one of the funniest and pathetic media companies out there, second only to Sony.
>>
>>14491593

No, if there was Satelight would have already done it. If they can't some random yobo online isn't going to be able to do so. They're not making much off the license but they're making enough off other ventures to make contesting it too expensive to be worthwhile and would probably drag it through court for years even if you did contest it. Until they decide it's no longer worth anything, which isn't likely to happen they'll hold on to it. The only way it's going free is if they cut it free by choice.
>>
>>14535563
But it's not worth the HD space. I literally only watched the first 4 minutes of episode 1 on Crackle. Some time in the distant, distant past, to the point where I totally forgot it even existed or that I'd done it until I checked up on Crackle to see if Robotech was there. Why would I bother to go back?
>>
>>14535624
This is what Robofags are obsessed over!

Everyone, point and laugh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmkgCi5BO70
>>
>>14535543
>And South America is their main fanbase? Nobody buys DVDs down there, they just pirate or stream it.

Doesn't matter, there's shitloads of people in spanish-speaking countries that can't get enough of Robotech, and still buy a lot of the other merchandise in the franchise. All the praise and fan stuff that is ever given to anything Robotech these days is mostly by fans from SA, Spain, Cuba, etc.

No, really, they're like the only people making fan videos on Youtube and they're mostly just stuff stolen from Macross with Robotech names and OST slapped on it,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Wl0p_TF0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dduwy5we7dM

Even most of the stories on Fanfiction.net are all in Spanish.
>>
All this whole robotech shit is only because harmony gaydom got too greedy and they tried to rewrite history and make as if macross were their own thing.

Had they translated Macross without changing one single thing and also if they gave the proper credits to the original creators I have no doubts they would have got the rights to distribute the sequels.
>>
>>14535649
I don't actually want to watch Robotech again. Once was enough. I just wanted to see what kind of billing they were getting on Crackle that they wouldn't be getting on, say, Crunchyroll or Hulu. Wasn't it on Hulu for a while too?
>>
>>14535624
I might consider watching if someone releases a 240p reencode. HD space literally is the first thing I think of when I consider watching this crap.
>>
>>14532341
Actually it's up to the publishers of the games about how they market their games. They just pay for the license.

It all depends on how expensive it is to put subs on the game and release it in the West. If it doesn't sell...
>>
>>14535675
and the ones in english are utter crap, they list SDFM and robotech together, so there are almost no SDFM fics.

The only series that has decent fics is Frontier.
>>
>>14532390
Robotech does not have the same nostalgia power as TMNT, GI Joe or Transformers.

I seriously can't imagine anyone throwing a 150 million dollars at this franchise to make a movie.
>>
>>14493136
>Even if they win they won't be able to get their money back. Selling streaming license to CR would cover maybe 1/10th of that.
Basically. The fact is Macross like most anime, has a niche audience. And due to the internet Japan is able to sell their DVDs and toys/plamoo on the internet to international fans just fine. The lack of ability to sell in American stores is not a problem like it used to be. People who want to throw money at them, can. Not able to stream to the West is an issue but not worth the costs of fixing it.
>>
>>14532748
>See the merchandise sales? That's all Sony needs for it to be a success.
Nope, the original source said that the toys "sold above expectations". This is sales language of saying exactly nothing. They would need to tell us what the expectations were first.
>>
>>14536229
>The lack of ability to sell in American stores is not a problem like it used to be

There are still problems. The games don't have subtitles and there's no way around that.

I heard they finally had the brains to put english subs on the frontier blurays so there's a chance future games will.
>>
>>14519079
>2 you can import Macross from Japan, a lot of the shows have DVDs
Except they're region 2, which is not a problem if you're European. Not European? That's your problem, unless you have a region free player which is hard to find in the US alone.

>Harmony Gold's position has always been that they're not opposed to getting more Macross titles released by an existing distribution company
Except Big West says "Fuck You and your Robotech!" and will not let them have any of it get out of Japan unless they give it up, which unfortunately won't be happening AT ALL.
>>
>>14537324
>hard
macros confirmed for easymode
>>
>>14537324
>unless you have a region free player which is hard to find in the US alone.
https://www.google.com/search?q=region+free+blu+ray+player
>>
File: all laughing.jpg (107KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
all laughing.jpg
107KB, 1920x800px
>>14525916
>they are all laughing
>>
>>14536666
They can put subs on the games right now. That has nothing to do with Harmony. They just can't sell them directly in the US or Europe.
>>
>>14530389

I am still laughing at the TREMENDOUS IRONY the dude complaining about Hollywood dumbing down his Robotech for the broader audience unfamiliar with the source material.

AKA what they fucking did to Macross/Anime.
>>
>>14532927

Hah. That's....that's a great joke. Right? Sure nobody like that exists in thsi world.
>>
>>14537324
DVD discs themselves can also be made region free, just like Blu-rays. And thank fuck for that, because as a European, I'm not in the same zone as japan with blu-ray (though I was with DVD), however my imported Japanese bluray have all been region free allowing me to play them.
>>
>>14538402
It's all true. He's the leader of a robotech fan group called robotechx. There was a convention in South America that robotechx was attending. So he decide to spend all his money to fly several voice actors and HG reps to the Con. He also payed for a post convention party. Suffice to say, he spent thousands of dollars for the whole event. His was was justifiably pissed off for financially bankrupting them.
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.