[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that Robotechfags go to such lengths to defend Harmony

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 19

Why is it that Robotechfags go to such lengths to defend Harmony Gold and their copyright abuse? Why is that one defense always "Well HG brought anime to America and without Robotech there'd be no Dragon Ball?"
>>
>>14443024
Who exactly says this? You? Proof or it didn't happen.
>>
>>14443096
The guy who was posting the Robotech "Blu-Ray" threads a few months ago.
>>
/tg/ here.
Harmony Gold sued FASA back in the day for a crime they themselves were commiting and basically bullied Macross designs out of the game while they stole Battletech own designs and sold as toys.

The fact there are people that even try to defend this scummy bastards in the world drives me insane.

Add to the fact that recently, HG is selling some shitty "model kits" for an even shittier game that manage to be lower quality than my fucking 80's pewter miniatures and I must add that they can't even fucking abuse their iron grip in copyright right.

There was this entire group of people ready to give them money to get these designs back in their games but they manage to create such a shitty product people in the Battletech community will just tell you to skip them, they are that low in quality as far miniatures go.
>>
>>14443096
Its a common sentiment among the Robotech community, or at least its apologists. That Robotech was a gate way for anime in the West, and when they say West they mean America. You wouldn't normally see it on /m/ because other than being a meme, Robotech isn't regularly discussed here.
>>
I don't understand the staunch HG defenders but I do have a soft spot for Robotech because marathoning the series with my best friend during childhood was a big part of my life back then.
That and mechwarrior and transformers g1 are how I got into mecha.
HG still is pretty awful and I would love to see Macross in the west, but I really can't say I hate original Robotech.
Help, I'm trapped in the middle!
>>
>>14443024

I can't exactly blame them for being defensive.

Imagine that one of your favorite shows from your youth turned out to be a lie? Like, the show doesn't actually exist. And the internet is full of people salty that you got your show and they didn't get theirs.

Robotech becomes the whipping boy for a lot of Macross fans who just want a real import of their own favorite show. So the worst of both sides fling mud at each other.
>>
AND WE
>>
>>14443115
Wow, now you are just plain making stuff up. I never once has ever said that.

>>14443142
Among the delusional retards yes, but not the average Robotech fan.
>>
>>14443242
Agreed, it seems that anti Robotech sentiment isn't fueled by Macek's translation, but more about Harmony Gold's shitty practice.
>>
>>14443282
Bingo
>>
>>14443267
I imagine the average Robotech fan is well over 30, male and still believing their franchise is relevant today.
>>
File: sadness.jpg (47KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
sadness.jpg
47KB, 500x438px
>>14443267
The average Robotech fan is somewhat delusional, pic related.
>>
>>14443264
HERE
>>
>>14443484
AT
>>
>>14443341
Because muh nostalgia

>>14443359
And how do they represent the average fan? What's left of them.
>>
>>14443242
>help, I'm an individual with opinions instead of a living meme

Sound like you're fine to me.
>>
>>14443515
ROBOTECHX.COM
>>
>>14443707
ALL
LAUGHING
>>
>>14443024
Dunno.
I was a Robotech kid from '86. I'd already seen both Voltron shows (Go Lion and Dairugger 15), Gigantor, and Tranzor Z before that. Carl Maceck was apparently partially responsible for getting Akira played in theaters here in the states, but Robotech doesn't really have anything to do with that.
Also...I'm not entirely sure "there'd be no Dragon Ball" is a bad thing.

It's fine if you think HG is bullying, but their trademarks are legal and it totally makes sense for them to trademark unprotected names and symbols associated with something they've invested money in distribution rights for. The fact of the matter is that Kawamori hadn't bothered trademarking that stuff anywhere outside of Japan and if HG hadn't done it then those names and symbols would have had no protection under international law. Seriously, Kawamori STILL had not trademarked that shit THIRTY YEARS LATER but everyone acts like HG somehow deprived him of the opportunity.

I'm not really defending HG, though. I don't care about any new Macross for that matter either. I just think the hateboner that a small but EXTREMELY vocal subset of Macross fans have is pathetic, especially when you KNOW that they still have every last episode and OVA on their computers and aren't being deprived of anything.
>>
>>14443862
>Carl Maceck was apparently partially responsible for getting Akira played in theaters here in the states
No he wasn't

>Also...I'm not entirely sure "there'd be no Dragon Ball" is a bad thing.
Well besides that Dragon Ball is actually popular and liked as well as was the true gateway to anime in the 90s, I don't think that matters
>>
>>14443882
>No he wasn't
lrn2google

Macek went on to co-found (with Jerry Beck) Streamline Pictures in 1988.[8][9] Joining him were writers who had worked with him on Robotech, most notably, Steve Kramer, Tom Wyner, Gregory Snegoff and Ardwight Chamberlain, each of whom are also experienced voice actors. Streamline Pictures was one of the first American companies to successfully deal in the regular production of imported Japanese animation.[10] Among the titles released by Streamline are Lensman, Robot Carnival, Doomed Megalopolis, Twilight of the Cockroaches, Crying Freeman, Wicked City, and the original English dub versions of Hayao Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky, the Fist of the North Star film, Akira
>>
>>14443882
>the true gateway to anime in the 90s
That's a cute way of saying "my first anime". The fact is, the gate was opened by Astro Boy and Speed Racer. You remember DBZ from your early childhood and think that anime in america started during your childhood because you weren't alive during my childhood. It's a little less niche now, but still very niche indeed. DBZ and Pokemon are just the Voltron and Robotech of their era, as are Naruto and Bleach.
But it started with The Mighty Atom.
>>
>>14443024
I hate HG but let's not forget that the Japanese themselves are TERRIBLE at marketing anime and that anime is inherently very very niché.

Macross would have never become a hit in the West anyway. If you think that without HG a golden age of Macross popularity would break out you're delusional. Putting Macross on Netflix wouldn't change anything.
>>
>>14443024
Think about it this way, there's a regular MMPR thread here and it's the same shit.

Then again, considering they're also releasing super sentai on DVD, I guess Saban is inherently better than Harmony Gold at this point.
>>
>>14444132
>Macross would have never become a hit in the West anyway.
Who gives a shit if I could legally own BDs and figures?
>>
>>14444204
It doesn't take much to be better than HG. They have been terrible stewards of their IP.
>>
>>14444213
You are missing the point dumbass
>>
>>14444297
Not really. Robotech was never that popular either, so it's not a fair point to bring up.
>>
>>14444314
Nice meme
>>
>>14444204
>and it's the same shit
Nah, the MMPR stuff has really major rewriting and all the out-of-costume footage is newly filmed. Robotech is just a dub with some name-swapping and a lying narrator.
>>
>>14444213
>if I could legally own BDs and figures?
You...
You can. You're on the internet right now, that means you have the means to order that shit.
>>
>>14443142
Robotech was indeed a gateway anime for me, but like most people I grew up and watched Macross instead. For me it was something I loved from childhood that was made even better when I learned the truth.

I guess it never hit me as hard as some people because even as a kid I didn't like Southern Cross and Mospeada anyway. Discovering Macross had REAL sequels made me happy.
>>
>>14444132
>Putting Macross on Netflix wouldn't change anything.
Maybe not but we love in 2016 where almost every new anime these days gets a legal stream on CR or whatever and when Robotech can get put online legally but a new Macross can't and the creator even directly says he wants this, there is bound to be some frustration
>>
>>14443242
>Mechwarrior
>I have a soft spot for Robotech

As long as you have the right idea for HG's bullshit as
>>14443132
pointed out you will be fine. They fucked you over, and you probably didn't even realize it since the Unseen where mostly on older Battletech games.
>>
>>14443862
>t's fine if you think HG is bullying, but their trademarks are legal and it totally makes sense for them to trademark unprotected names and symbols associated with something they've invested money in

Not when they steal Mechwarrior/Battletech designs for their shitty toyline AND THEN have the gall of suing them for using Macross designs.
Fuck HG.
>>
>>14444359
In terms of BDs, I'm sure he means ones with English subtitles sold from an American retailer. Having to import stuff is a huuuuuuuuuge hassle; you basically either need to have the extra money to splurge on shipping or be willing to take a gamble and see if it doesn't show up.
>>
>>14444414
FASA isn't exactly innocent here either. Kawamori said in an interview that they weren't selling the Macross designs for FASA to use, only the artwork but FASA took the designs anyway.
>>
>>14443024
Why is it that anti-Robotechfags confuse not hating Robotech with condoning the shitty business practices of Harmony Gold?
>>
>>14444488
FASA though they had the rights.
Still, Kawamori didn't challenge them for it and they only used the designs for the artwork they had purchased.

Meanwhile, HG steals from them AND THEN sues them. It's insane.

In one we have a mistake, or even if you want to paint them in a malicious manner, they only used the designs they gave money for, and that's pretty much it. They didn't introduce Macross Plus designs or even Macross 7, they stopped on the originals.

All that HG did was make them stop producing the miniatures of their old ass mechs.

Meanwhile HG was selling FASA's newest designs on their own toyline while this thing was happening.
>>
>>14444536
just so you know, that new robotech game apparently sucks 20 kinds of ass and the only ones that bough it are battletech players to get a mini
and the odd robotech diehard, i suppose
>>
>>14443024
When Robotech aired, saturday morning cartoons weren't as complex and mature as it in comparison.
Yes, it was a clunky mish-mash of 3 unrelated shows with an annoying narrator but it was still deeper than your average half-hour long toy commercial (GI Joe, He-Man, Transformers,etc) kids were used to watch.
People really died, there was a love triangle, a more developped storyline to follow etc etc and of course, cool fucking giant robots that transform into planes to wreck giant aliens.
It made a strong impression on those kids and they fucking loved it, even if it wasn't the smash hit Robotech fans always talk about.
And then ?
And then a crappy movie that never got a proper distribution.
And then ?
Robotech II ! The Sentinels ! Yeaaah, new Robotech on TV !! Aaaaaand it's fucking cancelled, they'll never see Rick Hunter &Co's new adventures on TV, too bad for them ! But it was adapted as novels and comic books until 1996, it's not that bad.
And then ?
And then absolutely fucking nothing except for a few rare comic books, toys and a bajillion re-releases of the same fucking TV series, with slights variations of contents, because HG still needs their money.
And the numerous projects HG "reveals" to Robotech fans at conventions, which all end up cancelled (Robotech 3000,Mars Force, Robotech Academy), in eternal hiatus (Shadow Rising), and when they're not cancelled they're mediocre (Shadow Chronicles) when they aren't a scam like motherfucking Love Live Alive. Seriously, go watch this shit, it's hilarious. So all these fans who haven't had real new material since motherfucking 1996, let alone on a TV screen,hang to the only thing they have: the nostalgia of what was their favorite cartoon growing up, and HG because it's at least partly true that they helped popularize anime in the USA.
TL;DR they're starved for new material, get buttfucked by HG on a regular basis and defend them because they are blinded by nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>14444578
It isn't that bad. Frankly I expected far worse from Palladium. The biggest problem it has from a gameplay standpoint, the toxic fanbase and poorly designed minis are another kettle of fish, is that the Zents are boring as hell to play as they have very few unit types available in Wave 1.

They basically play by spamming pods and desperately protecting their Glaugs. No Male or Female Power Armor, Gnerls, Infantry, or Glaug-Eldare until Wave 2 hits, which likely happen shortly after the Robotech Live Action Movie hits theaters.

Meanwhile the UEDF can make an army with Valks or Destroids and has a couple of very distinct playstyles. It's Wave 2 stuff is mostly upgrades to Valks (Armored and Super) and everyone's favorite the Monster.
>>
Macross is actually pretty bad. Robotech was a huge improvement. There's no "kyoon kyoon" shit in Robotech.
>>
>>14447687
Instead you get such wonderful gems as "To be in Love" and "Stagefright."
>>
>>14447767
They are classics
>>
>>14447687
I'm 3 episodes into SDF Macross as of today, and I'm already in love with that sick guitar instrumental. Does Robotech have that?
>>
>>14447687
In both versions I want Minmay to die a thousand deaths so one isn't really any better than the other for me in that regard.
>>
>>14447904
No. It has the Spaceballs theme instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woNHtpc5Hbo
>>
>>14447927
>Implying the Robotech music isn't better.
Woah
>>
>>14447904
Nope, Dogfighter is only in Macross.
>>
File: KnowledgeIsPower.png (114KB, 931x808px) Image search: [Google]
KnowledgeIsPower.png
114KB, 931x808px
>>14443359
>The average Robotech fan is somewhat delusional, pic related.

Actually, there are quite a lot of level-headed people in the fandom that are starting to drown out the ass-part of the fanbase. So much so that the radicals are trying to pass around a meme that anyone who disapproves of HG and the current state of affairs with the franchise is a "loud minority" when its quite clear that a vast number of people in the Robotech fanbase don't trust Harmony Gold. Case-in-point, how nobody supported the Robotech Academy Kickstarter and instead threw all of their money at Palladium's RT Tactics game. It was so bad that HG's staff and their lackey fan mods banned people from the Robotech.com forums that expressed concerns and criticism on RT products and media, and god help you if you had anything disapproving to say about Tommy Yune's writing talents (his brother also mods the forums). Eventually, HG lit a torch to the whole site and converted it into their Facebook/Twitter/Store hub to shut themselves away the fans.

I've also lurked around RobotechX and despite the fact that it actually has some dictating rules about discussing legal matters about Macross and Harmony Gold (only mods can approve the discussions because apparently the truth hurts too much), there's nowhere near the amount of horsehit flying around it as there used to be. The only people that are truly infuriating in it are the former mods and ass-kissers of Robotech.com, particularly characters like Maverick_LSC and Memo1dominion, who migrated there after their former site got canned. Now that they've got their mod powers taken away, and with their notorious reputation of being dickheads to anyone who didn't share their views on RT and HG, people just treat them like village idiots who still love to wank their inflated egos in people's faces, and try to act like they have genuine knowledge on topicss and events, when they actually don't know jack-shit. People call them out on it.
>>
>>14447959
Robotech didn't have Zero-G Love
>>
>>14449210
A song about random shit and LOVE, no thanks
>>
>>14444204
Power rangers reshoots a lot of shit out of costume.
>>
I haven't watched Robotech. Is it fun to watch? I didn't want to make a thread about it. I already watched macross.
>>
>>14449684
The constant narrator explaining shit happening on screen, terrible singing, bad music, and shoehorned macguffins does not make for a fun show. So pass.
>>
>>14449684
Yes it is, if you like to sit back and relax it's your kind of show. Ignore the haters.
>>
>>14443132
>/tg/ here.
Get out of my containment board, nerd!
>>
>>14449684
If you already watched Macross there's really no reason to. You won't get anything out of it that you haven't already. If you're interested in the other two shows that make up Robotech, just watch them, but neither are that great.
>>
>>14447687
Kyoon Kyoon is great, though. Catchy as fuck.
>>
Would a world without DB really be that bad?
>>
>>14449950
>catchy as fuck
>has no rhythm to it
>just a minute and a half of lyrics with no regard for composition
Look anon, I'm gonna give it to you straight: Watashi no Kare wa PILOT may in fact be one of the worst songs I've ever heard.
>>
>>14443024
Would it have killed you to pick a less obxnious and shitty opening picture to headline your thread? Seriously that just reminds me of that goddamn shitty awful anime and makes me want to fucking puke.
>>
>>14450114
>doesn't like Honorary Nagai
>>
>>14450114
Shut up robofag.
>>
I have no hatred towards Robotech, it's just one of many mediocre adaptations we saw in the 80s. Hell, it's probably one of the better ones and a few of my favorite English voice actors got their start there so on some level I'm glad it exists.

Harmony Gold needs to fuck off though, even if I don't particularly like the newer Macross series there's no reason people who do shouldn't be able to watch them through official channels. It's especially upsetting since Kawamori has recently expressed interest in getting Delta to western fans but he can't do that for extremely bullshit reasons.
>>
>>14449629
Shut up
>>
Since the show is mediocre, what are the good Robotech novels and comics ?
>>
File: Breetai.jpg (321KB, 1020x1559px) Image search: [Google]
Breetai.jpg
321KB, 1020x1559px
>>14451472
All the McKinney novels are pretty good, arguably the best iteration of Robotech. The comics are shit on a stick. The Waltrip brothers are terrible artists.
>>
>>14451480
>Motherfucking Robotech swimsuit special
Why the fuck did they even publish this ? Who the fuck on Earth wants to see Breetai in a speedo ?
Also why are the comics bad ? I read they were adaptations of the novels, and since the novels are good, they mustn't be that bad ? The Waltrip bros' art doesn't bother me. Also, what about Comico's ?
>>
>>14451742
as far as I understand there's a number of very different comic attempts
iirc there was a pretty decent series of one-shots focusing on some Destroid guys
>>
>>14450666
>Get's called out on bullshit
S-Shut up guys
>>
There's another Robotech blu-ray episode coming if anyone cares
>>
>>14452178
Nobody does.
>>
>>14452192
Says who? You. Nice one.
>>
>>14452200
everyone except roboshit fags
>>
>>14451480
>All the McKinney novels are pretty good, arguably the best iteration of Robotech
please further elaborate that notion
>>
>>14452243
they're decent scifi books that have robots
>>
>>14443024
Same reason Power Rangers fags defend their abomination.

MUH NOSTALGIA
>>
>>14443024
>Robotechfags

I'm not saying they don't exist, but I doubt anybody on /m/ would be labeled as such.
>>
>>14452275
I think there is at minimum 2
>>
File: 1459813805353.jpg (104KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1459813805353.jpg
104KB, 768x1024px
>>14452275
I've seen Macross and Mospeada, but couldn't force myself to watch more than 5 minutes of a Robotech episode. However, the novel and comics interest me because that's the closest we'll ever get to new Mospeada material.
>>
>>14452053
Music is about emotions and feelings, I don't have to explain shit.
>>
>>14452247
well i was hoping you tell some details from the book i guess i have to read it for myself
>>
>>14452497
To me one of the coolest things that the novels had was little snippets from in setting books that had something tangentially related to the story.

My favorite being a cringe inducing edge-lord quote from the Invid scientist Tesla. "Only the mediocre of intellect can stand the tedium of being good."
>>
>>14452489
And those songs have got nothing like that btfo
>>
>>14452240
Implying it's for anything but them
>>
>>14453712
I think you're the problem with this equation.
>>
>>14454185
Not an argumwnt
>>
File: SentinelsIssue2.png (790KB, 720x989px) Image search: [Google]
SentinelsIssue2.png
790KB, 720x989px
>>14451480
>>14451742
I haven't read the books yet, but after finishing all of the comics in their entirety, they aren't all that bad. I've had people tell me that they hate them because of the artwork, the teddy bear-looking aliens called the Karabarrans, the Amazon women, and that the stories are too kiddy. However, the Karabarrans and the other oddball alien races are in the Mickinney novels too (and they would eventually be in the Sentinels animated series if it lasted long enough). The stories themselves, from what I gathered in a conversation with a guy who read them, are relatively the same right down to concepts, flow of the timeline, and grimdark-ness. The only real issue that most people seem to have are with the varying degrees of artwork. To be honest, they're not all that bad from a bunch of indie dudes working at a backwater publishing company.

The Malcontent Uprisings are actually, by far, the best in the Sentinels series.
>>
>muricas only got Dragon Ball in their TV at 00's

what the fuck, Brazil had DB since 96.

and Dragon Ball > Dragon Ball Z
>>
How did Robotech get around Kaifun being Minmay's cousin?

>>14460579
America had Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon in the 90s, they were just heavily edited. It was until Toonami that less-censored versions were played.
>>
>>14461459
>How did Robotech get around Kaifun being Minmay's cousin?

They were still cousins.

The Macross leg of Robotech remained practically unchanged.
>>
>>14461516
But cousins can't love cousins. That's forbidden love.
>>
>>14461785
I guess you're not from the Southern states.
>>
>>14457361
Thanks a lot, anon. I'll read them, this can be fun.
>>
>>14457361

> that dialogue

Did they get a 13 year old to write it, that's the most basic expository dialogue I think I've ever come across. It's not when making an attempt to sound like real speech.
>>
>>14461935
Because it's aimed at children dufus
>>
>>14461944

So are plenty of other things with better dialogue. Even in the 80s. Dufus.
>>
>>14462054
Not an argument
>>
>>14462129
"It's made for kids" isn't exactly a sound argument, either.
>>
File: I fucked your dad.webm (3MB, 711x400px) Image search: [Google]
I fucked your dad.webm
3MB, 711x400px
New Robotech Blu-ray episode came out for those that care: https://www.reddit.com/r/robotech/comments/4rpxx5/robotech_remastered_episode_63_sandstorm_1080p/
>>
File: rainbowbridge.jpg (132KB, 1365x729px) Image search: [Google]
rainbowbridge.jpg
132KB, 1365x729px
>>14462393
>Bitch gets mad because her bitch friend is mad about her fucking her dad
For what purpose
>>
>>14444436
I think people just want to buy JAPANESE anime at AMERICAN prices. Those days are gone.
>>
>>14462393

What's that webm? It's hilarious.
>>
>>14462491
American Beauty, though it's a pretty important plot point.
>>
>>14462509
>>14462491
Never mind, it's not American Beauty.
>>
>>14443024
Have an article about HG.
http://camerainthesun.com/?p=25727
>>
>>14462441
I wonder why

>>14462491
The Leftovers, it's pretty good.
>>
>>14447959
Robotech didnt have sunset beach
>>
>>14463524
there should be a Macross doujin called "Sunset Bitch"
>>
>>14463524
Catchy anime song is exactly what is it, nothing deep about it. The same applies to Robotech.
>>
Is this really still even a thing, other than people who are still really bitter about stuff that happened like twenty years ago?

I'm not saying HG is blame-free, but they're not the cause of everything, either. Even when /m/ is convinced they're at the cause of it.

Remember when you guys flipped your shit over the C&D on the Mechwarrior reboot trailer, convinced HG was responsible for killing it? And it turned out that they had nothing to do with it, but rather the developer took it out behind the shed and gave it the ol' Yeller so they could make another game and get in on the F2P microtransaction gravy train?
>>
Why do people keep bumping this thread?
>>
>>14464180
We could have had a real SRW game in the US if it weren't for HG.
>>
File: lolotech.jpg (255KB, 1000x1549px) Image search: [Google]
lolotech.jpg
255KB, 1000x1549px
>>14464209
Because it tickles your autism.
>>
>>14464314
Is that guy on the right Kamujin?
>>
File: problem micronians.png (135KB, 280x317px) Image search: [Google]
problem micronians.png
135KB, 280x317px
>>14464400
>problem, micronians?
>>
File: Robotech Art.jpg (183KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
Robotech Art.jpg
183KB, 400x320px
>>14464400
Yeah. And I love how Exedole is "OOOooooOOOOO Ghost Blowjob OOOOoooooOOOO!"
>>
>>14464314
I find the way that Breetai's chin/cheek bottom is drawn here to be hilarious, since it makes him look he just had a shave.
>>
>>14464314
This piece of art is absolutely amazing. I would hang it on my wall.
>>
>>14464411
This is fake, right?
>>
Why are anti-robotechfags so retarded?
>>
File: 1423297435093.png (130KB, 300x417px) Image search: [Google]
1423297435093.png
130KB, 300x417px
I really enjoyed robotech getting btfo in the new deadpool movie.

Voltron prominently referenced 2 or 3 times.

Whenever there's an 80's anime reference it's always voltron.

Nobody ever references robotech because it was never very popular. You couldn't even buy a robotech branded transforming VF-1 back in the day.
>>
>>14473714
Whoops I didn't mean to write anti there. My bad.
>>
>>14474436
>mentions Voltron
>in the same breath saying no one references Robotech
>>
all laughing!!
>>
File: Have a Beerus.gif (489KB, 480x262px) Image search: [Google]
Have a Beerus.gif
489KB, 480x262px
>>14475504

> Roy can only be a Robotech reference
>>
>>14475504
>He doesn't know Dos Santos is actually a weeb and a Macross, Maiznger, Gundam fan
>>
>>14475504
That's a Macross reference not a Robotech reference.
>>
File: Rick and Miriya.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Rick and Miriya.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>14475544
>>14475550
>>14475558
I dunno, when I see Roy Focker in an American remake of an American adaptation of an 80's Japanese mecha anime, I sort of think of it referencing the other American adaptation of a Japanese mecha anime of the time. Doesn't have to be, but it seemed like a logical connection to make. I'm not really a big Robotech person, this just sprung to mind when someone mentioned Voltron and Robotech references.

Also, this shot. I don't recall there being many other references besides these, though I didn't really bother to keep track of any beyond the few in the first episode.
>>
>>14475609
They pretty much referenced Robotech/Macross/Mazinger/GaoGaiGar in voltron.
>>
>>14474436
>robotech getting btfo in the new deadpool movie.
wait, what?
when did they mention Robotech?
Or are you saying that any time someone mentions Voltron is somehow a "robotech getting btfo"?
>>
File: Robotech-Voltron_1.jpg (83KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
Robotech-Voltron_1.jpg
83KB, 300x450px
>>14474436
It was pretty hilarious how Harmony Gold tried to cash in on Voltron's fanbase with that useless Robotech/Voltron comic crossover; the whole story pretty much revolved around an alternate universe where the two properties exist as one through a rip in space and time, only to have them reset their universes so that none of the events ever happened in the first place.

The whole point of this thing was pretty much admitted by Kevin Mckeever at a con that it was made to combine the two fanbases together and give each franchise a boost in popularity, "combine and conquer" as he put it. And wow, look what happened; No Robotech TV show, movie, new fans, or anything that made a significant contribution to the series. Everything just stayed the same while Voltron was making a deal with Dreamworks.

So not only do Robotech's creative team think that it can no longer hold its own in modern nerd culture, it blatantly shows that the entire brand has no name recognition whatsoever.
>>
My stances...

Robotech: I enjoyed it, and it can easily be used to fill in the blanks for other entrees in the Macross series.

Maceck: I have nothing against him, and it's clear that he doesn't regret making Robotech. And, that is perfectly fine. Also, Akira, Laputa, and the Dirty Pair movies. Those old dubs were fun to watch just to watch old stuff from the previous gen.

HG: Quit patent trolling or the patent trolling-esque behavior. Someone needs to buy the rights from them as that is the only way people will be happy. The stigma is thick and I am sick of it. This is the company I have a problem with.

Robotech fan-base: Never greatly involved in it, or, well, at all actually. I cannot comment on this.

No new stuff on legal streams: Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Gundam but no Macross to dance with it: Noooooo~!
>>
>>14475780

that vf-lion looks so retarded
>>
File: The_Yuneverse_Is_Real.png (439KB, 633x290px) Image search: [Google]
The_Yuneverse_Is_Real.png
439KB, 633x290px
>>14477253
It is retarded. All they did was slap some VF wings and one missile pack to it. The damn thing can already fly so why the fuck even put wings on it? Just not even trying at all.

Plus the artwork looks rushed and unfinished. I read they actually hired that one guy that drew up their concept artwork for Academy to do all of this.
>>
>>14477249
>Robotech: I enjoyed it, and it can easily be used to fill in the blanks for other entrees in the Macross series.
Please explain how that works.

>-esque
Hi r*ddit
>>
>>14443024
Because Macrossfags are fucking insufferable thieves who just use HG as an excuse for their piracy even though it's piss easy to import these days.
>>
>>14479166
Piss easy to import japanese only titles and merchandise. Also calling Macrossfags thieves while defending HG? lol
>>
>Robotech is objectively better than Macross
>everyone in America knows this
>even the Japanese know this
>/m/, being a bunch of hipsters, pretends it isn't
>>
>>14443024
>projecting this hard

No one except that one retard has ever said that, shit for brains.

>>14443115
Yeah, him and nobody else.

>>14443142
I've never heard of anyone but that one idiot openly defending HG.

I'll always think fondly of Robotech, but fuck HG, fuck their overpriced Mexifornia real estate, and fuck their gold digging bullshit. They've crapped all over whatever legitimacy they may have had.
>>
>>14483620
Do you always shitpost so lazily?
>>
>>14484038
Why don't you accept the truth?
>>
>>14484337
Because it's objectively false.
>>
>>14443024

In general, people talk about past events and causation like this because they're stupid. If A resulted in B, people assume that if A hadn't happened, nothing else could have resulted in B. In reality, it is very hard to argue that anime never would have been localized at any point without robotech, especially since it wasn't the first nor the last.
>>
>>14478855

Why does that Lion have wheels?
>>
>>14484347
I've seen people attribute the anime boom to Nintendo conquering the video game market in the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>14484340
Prove it.
>>
File: tfw kyun kyun comes on.jpg (51KB, 316x452px) Image search: [Google]
tfw kyun kyun comes on.jpg
51KB, 316x452px
>>14464314
>>
>>14478905
First, subtract Mospeada and Southern Cross, and realize the common general events still happened and it's an adaptation with some changes. Easy minor edits to what you know as you go. Also, It's not like you need to know every little detail of the first Macross unedited to not be confused and know what is going on, or what was changed when it was made into Robotech.

For me at least. Also, not reddit.
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.