[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is that a fucking LP? So hipster, holy shit. http://en.gund

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: 20160702033235-62320.jpg (146KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
20160702033235-62320.jpg
146KB, 500x375px
Is that a fucking LP? So hipster, holy shit.

http://en.gundam.info/topics/white/101525
>>
I've considered buying LPs because the art looks nice desu. I'll never listen to my war of the worlds lp, but it looks cool
>>
>>14437302

I really want to buy a record player but I don't know shit about them

Where can i buy that LP though?
>>
>>14437302

It's not surprising really. Streaming or downloading has taken over from physical media and CD sales are tanked. In such a market, companies need to do all they can to compete, especially since the margins on the infinitely reproducible downloadable media are sometimes rather tight and artists want more and more.

LPs produce a sound that downloads can't, because the records or players have errors. They have an air of romance about them too. I noticed some newer style players in a shop I was in a few months ago, and the owner said they probably sold more of them than most anything else and they had to order them regularly. Vinyl is apparently experiencing a revival and while sales are still a minor thing (about 6% apparently), they're being viewed as a luxury item as opposed to the disposable download.
>>
>>14437431
>because the records or players have errors
Well, so do have LP records and players. Maybe you wanted to say downloads are sampled?
>>
>>14437442

> because the records or players have errors
> Well, so do have LP records and players

What?
>>
>>14437454
What kind of errors are you talking about?
>>
>>14437459

Skipping sounds, crackles, the sound of the needle on the LP and so on. Things downloads don't have.
>>
>>14437468
Oh, I get it now.
>>
>>14437468
>>14437472
MartyMcFlies is an expert on dealing with LP issues, since he rips records all the time.
>>
>>14437431
>LPs produce a sound that downloads can't, because the records or players have errors.
It's not particularly hard to insert that sort of error into a digital playback. Making it sound authentic might take some time, but it would be at best a side-project in terms of magnitude.
>>
I've got some Battleship Yamato LP's, shits nice.
>>
>>14437311
don't

they need a ton of work to keep working properly (aka, with a good sound)
>>
>>14437468
what a load of bullshit

LPs are good because they don't have any compression like digital does, it can be played almost without distortions if you know what you're doing and have a good gear
>>
>>14437308
This, I've always kinda wanted to collect LPs and Laserdiscs because they have bitchin art but I've never had the money for it.
>>
>>14437431
>LPs produce a sound that downloads can't, because the records or players have errors. They have an air of romance about them too. I noticed some newer style players in a shop I was in a few months ago, and the owner said they probably sold more of them than most anything else and they had to order them regularly. Vinyl is apparently experiencing a revival and while sales are still a minor thing (about 6% apparently), they're being viewed as a luxury item as opposed to the disposable download.

The only way a vinyl can sound good is if you use a record player that uses a laser. And I don't know of any that ever been commercially available. Once that stylus passes over the grooves of the LP, your disc degrades. You know those hisses and pops, they're the sign of a degrading LP. And it affects all of them. It's pure physics. The only way all other things being equal that an LP sounds better than a CD is to play it once on a high end rigg. That is it. After that you'd wish you'd have a cd player or a sacd or dvd-audio player. LPs are obsolete technology for a very good reason.
>>
>>14439347
>LPs are good because they don't have any compression like digital does, it can be played almost without distortions if you know what you're doing and have a good gear

LPs have reduced dynamic range (and this true wether you have a 50$ rigg or a 50 000 $ dollar rigg). Way less than a good mastered cd, and way way way less than a sacd or dvd-audio.

When people complain about shit sounding cds it's because of the mastering process. Search for the loudness wars in google. You can do this same shit on LPs. So buying them is no solution if the audio engineer decided to go full "loudness war" during the recording process.

But since we live in a time when the standard of good music is a shitty hyper compressed digital file playing through some shitty headphones or an iphone loudspeakers nobody gives a shit about quality these days. Even those the record music don't give a shit about putting out a good sounding LP or cd. So you just have to pick your poison. But poison it is make no mistake about it.

You want to know what good digital music sounds like ? Search the web for a dvd-audio (not sacd) version of the Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album. It's a bootleg, and believe me once you hear it in all its digital glory you won't want to touch an LP ever again.
>>
>>14439357
records are cheap as hell my dude
>>
>>14439585
>you won't want to touch an LP ever again.
I already don't want to man, I'm full digital now, sold all my shit years ago and spent everything on robot toys

also, LPs only have limited dynamic range if they were made with less material than needed (thinner, lighter...)

but anyway, I couldn't care less about it. I only get mad about this stuff when people say shit like "the distortions and noise are good and unique"
>>
>>14439357
Unless they're some weird thing that never got another release LDs are usually pretty cheap.
>>
But where do I buy it?
>>
>>14437302
>So hipster, holy shit.

Isn't Thunderbolt known for its heavy jazz vibes though? Seems like it'd make sense to release the soundtrack on the shitty format retards claim is sooooo superior to FLAC.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHaX8zwassc&app=desktop
>>
>>14439962
Does the article even say it? It seems more advertisement for LP players.
>>
>>14439585

> You want to know what good digital music sounds like ? Search the web for a dvd-audio (not sacd) version of the Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album. It's a bootleg, and believe me once you hear it in all its digital glory you won't want to touch an LP ever again.

I've never touched an LP, but this intrigues me, even as a non-audiophile. Any links to it?

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon-Immersion-Box-Set/release/3137117

Is Disc 3 on that set the same thing?
>>
>>14439984
>he doesn't like audiograin
>>
The only good thing about LP is that it does not suffer from that loudness war bullshit that fucks the song in the ass.
>>
>>14439962
looks like its being sold at exlusive screenings or something like that so it'll probably be pretty expensive to get from a reseller
>>
>>14437302
Is Thunderbolt's soundtrack original or is the jazz taken from real pre-90's jazz recordings? If it's the latter, it would actually benefit from a vinyl release. If it was recorded digitally, then yes it's just going full hipster.

Nothing recorded after 1996 is worth cutting on vinyl, it will all sound better on CD.
>>
>>14439339
No, the only thing you need to do is fucking adjust your tone arm and make sure you have a high quality stylus and it's in good shape.

LPs are outdated technology and the whole hipster "sound thing" is bullshit outside of the lack of loss inherent in digital. >>14439551
is right in saying that your LPs will eventually sound like garbage, but it also matters how you care for them. I collect classical records and I have cheaply pressed recordings from the 50s that sound perfectly fine because the people who owned them before me took care of their records.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.