[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the smallest colony you need to drop to cause ruin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: latest.jpg (24KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
24KB, 640x480px
What's the smallest colony you need to drop to cause ruin the entire planet?
>>
File: axisas.jpg (66KB, 790x560px) Image search: [Google]
axisas.jpg
66KB, 790x560px
>>14429411
Axis on the poles
>>
>>14429429
They did it with a smaller colony in X
>>
>>14429411
Tough call, because colonies are much less dense than asteroids

There's no historical precedent for a colony drop
>>
Depends on colony density, velocity, angle of attack and composition and the planet's size, gravitational force and atmospheric make-up.

In short: question too fucking broad.
>>
>>14429436
They dropped dozens of colonies at the very least. There's 5 impact craters in the USA alone and the majority of the earth's surface is supposed to be more or less fucked.
>>
>>14431468
This
>>
it really doesn't seem like a colony would even make it to the surface intact. Not that it would have to to fuck shit up, but I'd expect a giant impact area thousands of km long peppered with smaller impacts rather than a big crater.
>>
>>14431507
Clearly, they prefered Carolina style BBQ.
>>
>>14436209
Colonies are supposed to be fairly strong. They're massive containers filled with millions of tons of air on the inside, pushing on the walls. They have to have some degree of uniformly strong structural strength to not buckle and collapse under that kind of pressure. I figure they can survive atmospheric entry by sheer mass and sturdiness/thickness of the colony hull wall. I mean sure there will be sizable chunks and pieces that have broken off and making impacts of their own, but I think it'll be mostly intact.
>>
>>14437147
Remember that colonies are mostly hollow. They straight up don't have the mass that a soild asteroid even half their size would.
>>
>>14437147
>They have to have some degree of uniformly strong structural strength to not buckle and collapse under that kind of pressure
A coke can has to withstand more outward pressure. A colony supporting a sea level atmospheric pressure needs to withstand roughly 15psi, a soda can is designed to withstand 50+ psi
Colony walls are thick to resist things like asteroid impacts, not to contain the internal pressure and atmosphere. They also aren't designed to deal with the frictional heating of a re-entry. Unless they were hollowed out asteroids or much more massive that the one displayed in the OP image, there is a good probability they would at the least break up on re-entry and probably mostly burn up as well.
>>
It would seem to me that a colony large enough to cause damage would take decades, maybe even centuries to construct, while requiring unimaginable resources, so why use them as weapons at all? Wouldn't a whole bunch of nukes be a better choice? Or even vapturing and towing small asteroids?
>>
>>14431507
So is Gundam X the actual last entry in the Black History, or does the Earth somehow recover from Gundam X before Turn A? Are DG cells just operating throughout all of history?
>>
I don't think a space colony hitting a planet would not experience any unusual heat on it's exterior until the actual moment of impact

the frictional heat which is commonly associated with planetary re-entry requires angular momentum, ie an orbital path. The velocity along the orbital path is drastically higher than the downward acceleration

asteroids tend to burn up because they are already moving very fast when they reach the atmosphere

a space colony wouldn't have angular momentum from being in orbit, and it wouldn't have the massive speed of an asteroid, not without a very long burn from very very very large booster rockets
>>
>>14441418
The original idea was Zeon wanted a shock and awe attack. Something so devistatingly horrible it would scare the EF into surrender. So they took mankind's greatest symbol of technological triumph and mastery over his environment and turned it into a weapon of mass destruction.
>>
>>14441433
>trying to make sense of tomino garbage
>>
>>14441433
According to the most recent version of how black history works, everything is possibly just different accounts, versions, and viewpoints of the same events from across time which is why they contain similar events and/or themes. For example, G gundam could be a saturday morning cartoon version of some event during the black history, and wing a more dramatized account.

One did not literally happen after the other in some sort of chain.
>>
>>14441576

I thought that Turn A was just the eventual endgame for any parallel universe in which Gundams exist.
>>
>>14441554
>they decided to be niggers
>>
>>14444852
That's just a fan theory based on the timeline from a G-Gen game guide, which had the branches all separate and then converging into Turn-A
>>
>>14444852
>I thought that Turn A was just the eventual endgame for any parallel universe in which Gundams exist.

You're right that was the correct interpretation right until Tomino backstabbed himself more than a decade later by retconning Turn A so he/Sunrise/Bandai could fucking insert G-Reko into the same timeline.
>>
>>14444945

It wasn't though. The interpretation was >>14441576 even before G-Reco came out. Lots of people liked to think it worked that way, but it didn't have Banrise's support while >>14441576 did, including being printed in gunpla manuals.
>>
>>14441576
>>14444997

That's not exactly it either. The explanation from the manual doesn't imply that they're all just retellings of the same events - G and Wing aren't the same, they just aren't exactly identical to the shows that we got.

It's basically a stance similar to the Macross canon - where every series is a fictionalized version of an unseen "real" event. That's meant to explain away the disparities when one attempts to put the existing shows in a straight timeline.
>>
>>14445009
>That's not exactly it either. The explanation from the manual doesn't imply that they're all just retellings of the same events - G and Wing aren't the same, they just aren't exactly identical to the shows that we got.
Except for that one scene where various clips were playing around Moon City near the end.
>>
>>14444997
>00 being a retelling of the same events as X

Official explanation or not, it makes less sense than the different worlds converging model.
>>
>Turn A tried sinking the franchise and SEED saved it

That's my interpretation, you know something is off when the correct soil and plant life of a region are researched yet the 20th anniversary finale series doesn't bother to give a proper X reference and Wing's main reference is Corin remembering Wing Zero briefly.
>>
>>14445031
>Every 10 years Tomino will return to try to destroy Gundam

How do we stop this madman? Do we have to buy Brain Powerd BDs?
>>
>>14445020
>Except for that one scene where various clips were playing around Moon City near the end.

That doesn't contradict it. It just means that those segments of the events were real, not part of distorted or missing accounts. So, the the mass colony drop of X's 7th Space War, with the Gundam X attempting and failing to stop it did happen at some point in Turn-A's timeline, but the outcome afterwards might not be exactly the same as the one portrayed in X (with the huge open holes on the continents).
>>
Why does it matter?

Just drop all the colonies
>>
>>14445031
Why would an anniversary series have to reference everything? Are you dumb?
>>
>>14445067

Gato please go.

Also why the fuck did the X colonies have fucking huge engines on them? It's like they were designed to be dropped.
>>
>>14445048
>How do we stop this madman?

Time will eventually catch up with him.

>Do we have to buy Brain Powered BDs ?

Hopefully not. Hundreds of dollars for just the opening sequence is not worth it. Not even for all those naked women.
>>
>>14445074
I'm pretty sure the SRA somehow just produced all of those engines and slapped them on the colonies. It's mentioned that every single one of them was gassed before the actual drop.
>>
>>14445147

The zeek dream.
>>
I hope they make a new series that replaces Turn-A b/c imo it was dog shit story wise and looked that way visual wise as well. just do what they did with Dragonball GT pretend it never happened and replace it to keep making sheckles
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.