[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will we ever get a 4-cour+ season Gundam again? It seems all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: Gundam_Barbatos_in_space.jpg (149KB, 1355x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam_Barbatos_in_space.jpg
149KB, 1355x1080px
Will we ever get a 4-cour+ season Gundam again?

It seems all modern Gundam is OVAs and short rushed garbage.
>>
>>14425868
I sure as hell hope not. Can't think of a single Gundam show that actually needed to be four cours long.
>>
>>14425874
Victory Gundam.
>>
>>14425880
Yeah we sure needed all those pointless episodes of Insert Character getting the spotlight and then dying.
>>
>>14425868
AGE was like five years ago, anon
>>
No broadcasting station is eager to devote a full year for a show that might not be popular especially if another >Gundam Age happens
>>
>>14425880
>Space arc is a pain to watch
>>
>>14425905
Why would the station care? They get paid for the timeslot and that's that. It's the studios and production committees that are wary.
>>
>>14425868
50-episode runs are dumb anyways. They are almost always full of filler that doesn't develop the story or move the plot forward. The pacing slows down to a crawl just stretch things out. Or worse, we get the dreaded recap episodes.
>>
>>14425886
THAT WAS THE ENTIRE POINT
>>
>>14425946

The stations/networks care because they get their money from the advertisers that pay to put their commercials in said time slots. If a program is popular, they can get away with charging more money to advertisers because there's more eyes that will see the commercials. Inversely, time slots for less popular shows or when few people watch TV at all are fairly cheap for the advertisers. That's why there are so many infomercials on during the early-morning hours. The networks don't generally run shows during those times since practically nobody is watching and the advertisers can get an entire time slot to themselves for fairly cheap.
>>
File: 00Q.jpg (3MB, 3929x5705px) Image search: [Google]
00Q.jpg
3MB, 3929x5705px
>>14425874
00 and Turn A.
>>
>>14426024

An advantage 50-episode runs can have is no rushed world building. Imagine how Iron-Blooded Orphans would have benefited in terms of world building had it been given fifty episodes.
>>
>>14427028
>Imagine how Iron-Blooded Orphans would have benefited in terms of world building had it been given fifty episodes.
That would have just dragged ot out more
>>
>>14427028
IBO should have been about the Calamity War instead of Kuder's sad romp through space
>>
>>14425886
>pointless episodes
Less than 10 in total.

But keep pretending you've actually seen Victory, be my guest.

>>14426024
>They are almost always full of filler that doesn't develop the story or move the plot forward.
I wish to kill plotfags like you.
>>
>>14425868
You fags need to realize that a show being longer doesn't necessarily make it better. Gundam was 4-cour back then to fill up time in its slot not because it benefited its story, why do you think so many of them back then had mostly superfluous episodes? It was the same for every anime during that period but now that we have over 40 anime being made per season there's less room to share for 4-cour shows unless they're kids shows.
>>
I think AGE killed the idea of the 4cour mecha series for good
>>
>>14427030

If that be the case, then how many episodes do you think are needed to fully explain everything about the Calamity War?
>>
>>14427028
IBO didn't really need further world-building unless you are really unfamiliar with politics, social structures, and economics.
>>
>>14427028

IBO is going to have 50 episodes. Unless it's second season is very weird at least.
>>
>>14427274
He means 50 straight episodes, not a split series
>>
File: LetThatSinkIn.jpg (47KB, 500x548px) Image search: [Google]
LetThatSinkIn.jpg
47KB, 500x548px
>>14427124
Turn A explained the Black History in 5 and a half minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez7D8c7dtDU
>>
File: tmp_8026-yonaglare-1570275261.jpg (132KB, 1926x1081px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8026-yonaglare-1570275261.jpg
132KB, 1926x1081px
>>14425868
I'm not sure if you noticed but most anime is short nowadays.

Many shows are cancelled and the days of fascinating stories told over 30-60 episodes like Eureka 7 is long gone.

Man I'm still bitter about Guin saga and akatsuki no Yona.
>>
>>14427124
IBO isn't about the Calamity War. In the show it's a thing of the past, why would they need to tell us all about it? It's not like 00 went into detail about the solar wars, or X went into detail about the 7th Space War.
>>
>>14427446
>It's not like 00 went into detail about the solar wars
;_;
>>
>>14426024
Well the average anime watcher has the attention span of a goldfish it seems.
>>
>>14427438

>fascinating

Well, that's very subjective.
>>
>>14427438

There's a trend that were a show is made to specifically promote the manga. It seems to be more and more common these days, but they've been doing it since the '90s at least. They are meant to whet the appetite of the audience and introduce them to the world of the story in a dazzling way so that they are encouraged to continue the story in the printed works.
>>
>>14427589
>There's a trend that were a show is made to specifically promote the manga. It seems to be more and more common these days, but they've been doing it since the '90s at least.
They've been doing it since like the 70s.
>>
File: 1467218183517.jpg (116KB, 376x453px) Image search: [Google]
1467218183517.jpg
116KB, 376x453px
>>14427438
>Many shows are cancelled and the days of fascinating stories told over 30-60 episodes like Eureka 7 is long gone.
>Eureka 7
>fascinating
>>
>>14427329
It doesn't make much of a difference.
>>
>>14427438
These days, the only shows that are ridiculously long tend to be those that display silly, episodic shenanigans with minimal plot (e.g. Yokai Watch), or are staple franchises (i.e. Doraemon, Dragon Ball). I wouldn't be surprised if the next Time Bokan ends up nearly being as long as its more famous sibling Yatterman's revival.

>>14427589
Given that, it's a miracle that all of Ushio & Tora got adapted at all, even though the manga ended years ago.
>>
>>14425868
wtf is a cour
>>
>>14427870
Japanese loanword from the French to represent a season. Generally 12-13 episodes is 1 cour. 24-26 is 2 cour, etc.
>>
>>14425868
We had GBF being two seasons of two cours each. And its going to be the same again with IBO.
>>
>>14427589
Yeah and I don't read manga so when they make an anime simply as advertisement it's pointless for me to watch it.
>>14427568
I found mecha like First Gundam, Fafner and Patlabor fascinating. But yes it is a subjective term. I like to binge watch longer shows rather than watching a dozen short ones.
>>
>>14428825

Patlabor didn't have 50 episodes, and Fafner has never had an unbroken run.
>>
>>14428119
>We had GBF being two seasons of two cours each.
Those are two separate series. One is just the sequel to another. That's like calling the UC trilogy "three seasons of 4 cours each"

>And its going to be the same again with IBO.
It is a split cour series like 00. OP is talking about a 50 episode straight year show like Gudnam AGE, which I am pretty sure is what killed off that idea.
>>
>>14428878
>Those are two separate series.
No they aren't.
>>
>>14429294
Yes they are. One is just a sequel. GBF is not a split series. They didn't announce Try was happening beforehand like with IBO (and I don't even think they were even going to make Try before GBF's success for that matter)
>>
>>14427568
>>14427800
Eureka 7 was a well-paced and nicely crafted story that fully utilized its 50 episode run. Sure, there were some retarded moments and I guess watching one episode a week would be infuriating because of the slow build-up, but I believe it was the last /m/ show that really utilized a full-year run.
>>
>>14429347
>Yes they are.
Wrong.
>>
File: 1409112855359.jpg (213KB, 852x746px) Image search: [Google]
1409112855359.jpg
213KB, 852x746px
>Try
>Sequel

I always feel that Try is more of a spin-off to GBF S1 since it didn't really have anything to do with the first series beside Gunpla Battle and the main characters being in the same school being constants
>>
4 cour?

I yearn for another 90+ episode epic ala Zeta-ZZ. Considering what it was going for, AGE should've been just that. Sadly it failed on many fronts and was like just going to be 50 eps from the getgo anyway.

Just 50 episodes straight or broken up isn't enough. It's growing increasingly difficult to grow attached to a universe knowing the next one is right around the corner. For all of SEEDs faults it at least gave me something I could sink my teeth into for a few years rather than just a single one or less.
>>
>>14430908
The issue isn't really whether a show needs 50 eps or more, but rather that a universe needs multiple entries to really feel lived in. While Astray and Stargazer have next to no real relevancy, their existence serves to flesh out CE beyond Seed & Destiny. Even if you haven't watched them, you know they're there.

I'm hoping they end up doing this with IBO and give us 25 episode segments - hopefully not all Tekkadan related. With Gjallarhorn being such an imperial organization, they should be able to serve as antagonists on a variety of fronts.
>>
>>14425868
To put it in char's perspective Gundam is like the earth.
It needs to be hit by something massive that won't totally destroy it but put it into hibernation so it can recover.

Basically the franchise shouldn't release anything for a decade
,then pour a decent amount of resources into a new 50 episode series that reboots the franchise (like seed did) in order to gain traction again.

I would also like to see sunrise create some thing like the animator expo that could showcase short films (maybe even some mecha ones that could get kits), this could help them find/teach new animators to be able to draw mecha as well as allow for experimental material.
>>
>>14427438
SEASON 2 FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>14425868

Modern anime fans don't like Gundam enough to sit though 50 episodes of it.

Besides, you don't need anywhere near that long to advertise new model kits. You can just fit all of those new mobilesuits into a much shorter show and make just as much money from it. Probably more, since you didn't have to budget for such a long show.
>>
>>14427059
This, only if it really needs it.
>>
4 cours series are no longer really viable in the modern market. Not just in gundam but in all of anime. At best you now get split seasons to give a break in between and even those are rare.

Hell, even 2 cours series have been becoming more rare and the safer single cours is the norm now. Taking a break, pouring stupid amounts of money into a series, etc, are not going to fix a problem with the market itself.
>>
>>14434084
>4 cours series are no longer really viable in the modern market.
Unless you're a kids toy series.
>>
>>14434121
Even those have been struggling the past couple of years.
>>
>>14427028
IBO had more problems with it than world building, namely the fact it wasn't a fucking Gundam series and they clearly shoehorned some unrelated anime draft into being a Gundam show.
>>
>>14434084
>4 cours series are longer really viable in the modern market.
That's why Toei is so successful with its low budget 50 episode shows right?
>>
>>14428875
Are you really making a difference between 50 a 47 episodes?
>>
>>14434644
All of which are adaptations of very popular series.
>>
>>14425868
Why would you need that when you could just cram more mobile suits and variations into less episodes thus minimizing the chances of failure?
Just keep pushing those kits on the shelves and make your money back and then some.
That is the money way
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.