[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xht T72kFV3w >tl;dw >

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 15

File: Quess_02.jpg (214KB, 1024x1404px) Image search: [Google]
Quess_02.jpg
214KB, 1024x1404px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhtT72kFV3w

>tl;dw
>Quess is a brilliantly written and great character precisely because she was intentionally designed to be a total brat who fucked everything up
>Therefore, you should like Quess instead of hating her!

Thoughts, /m/?

I think this guy misses the point that you can have a character who accomplishes what they were meant to do and still be wholly unlikable.
>>
Does that mean that if I think OP brilliantly accomplishes being a fag it's all right to hate him?
>>
>>14422626

Not if OP was intentionally trying to be a fag, according to that guy's logic.
>>
Emotional Gundam fans couldn't be made to appreciate Quess or separate appreciation and liking so you only get the hate instead of anything what the youtuber is supposedly saying. And I'm sure you're paraphrasing the point facetiously even if I don't want to watch the whole thing
>3:28
>like her *character and her role within it*

"I understand her point but still hate her" happens to be redundant too because your feelings aren't that important to anyone.
>>
>>14422703

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Quess' role in the story. I still hate her as a character though.

In the comments section of said video, the creator goes on to talk about starting a "Quess cult". Dude loves her because she sets out what she was written to do: Be a dumb brat who has zero development, never learns a thing, and pays the price for being a Newtype brat in a mech who thinks she can do whatever she wants.
>>
>>14422570
>tried to watch
>"quess what"

I already disagree
>>
basicly there's different types of ways to hate a character, some seem unable to differentiate between em.

>Hating the character because its a well written, infuriating character. You might appreciate the characters function and inclusion, but its such a scumbag that you just love to hate it.
>Hating the characters because its appallingly badly written character. Might not behave in such a way to infuriate or enrage you, but you find its execution to be a detriment to the work.

>Shittily written shitty character.
I think I find Quess to be here personally

I guess there could be more variations too.
>>
>>14422728
Well it's an issue of how far you take the love. Having a role in the story isn't the be all, end all of writing if it doesn't have enough purpose. And now that I watched it it seems the guy doesn't touch her relationship with C&A at all and writes her role off as being another newtype tragedy.
His arguments still didn't come off as "you should personally like HER" so we're discussing a moot point.
>>
Quess hates you filthy Normie-types
>>
>>14422570
>Quess is a brat

He said what I have been saying for years.

Gundam fans, especially millennials, hate Quess because she does not conform to the modern day anime stereotype of the past 15 years: the teen girl with bright colored hair that is cute, passive and innocent. Even tsundere anime girls of the past 15 years are done in an unrealistic way so that the audience will find them cute even when the character is trying to act like a bitch.

Quess is a brat, just like most real world teenage girls are, but the audience cant accept that because they have been conditioned by anime for the last 15 years portraying all teen girls as innocent and passive, so they hate Quess for that reason, which is fucking stupid.
>>
>>14422771

>guy doesn't touch her relationship with Char and Amuro at all
>specifically mentions how she confuses her budding Newtype "connection" with Amuro as "love", then gets upset and ditches him for Char when Amuro isn't giving her what she wants
>specifically mentions how she sees hope in Char because all of her views align with his, which leads her into having a "false love" for him

The entire point of the video is in defense of Quess as a character and dude clearly thinks that the hate directed towards her is unjustified and "illogical". What other point would his arguments have aside from trying to convince the viewer that Quess should be liked as a character given what her role is supposed to be?
>>
This art makes me want to fuck Quess
>>
>>14422826

No I hate her because I hate teenagers and she acts just like one. I didn't need Quess to tell me what teenagers are like, being a substitute teacher for 3 and a half years taught me that.
>>
Quess not only fucked things up for everyone, she also made Bright's dipshit son a murderer.
>>
>>14422826
She's also a murderous twat and deserved to die and I'm glad she died. If that's your realistic teenagers
>>
File: killing char denied.webm (2MB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
killing char denied.webm
2MB, 1920x1040px
Thanks, Quess
>>
>>14422826

No, I'm pretty sure people hate her because she's a brat.

I've yet to see anyone make the argument that she's disliked because she doesn't conform to some supposed stereotype about anime teenagers. In fact, I'm pretty sure most people around here hate the very stereotype you've mentioned as well.
>>
>>14422860

I'd say that still falls under the umbrella of "fucking things up for everyone".
>>
lickable
>>
File: QUESS.jpg (36KB, 404x700px) Image search: [Google]
QUESS.jpg
36KB, 404x700px
>>14422837
I'd hatefuck Quess, ngl.
>>
>>14422883
Fair enough.
>>
>>14422828
It hardly helps saying what Quess contributes to the two (and it is called Char's Counterattack). As far as I remember both of them essentially ditch her. It's content for Quess's character but she's kind of an isolated entity, some kind of portrait in the show if nothing about her affects anything.

You seem to be arguing that she HAS a role for the two though, in which case you'd like her as a fictional character, and if you do think that she's meaningful enough to CCA then fair enough. Likeable and unlikeable are totally personality-focused, "I'd like this person in real life" kind of things, and that's what you got in the OP post.
>>
>all of the people in this thread that think it's OK to hate any human being, real or animated , for any reason.
Baldy would be disappointed in you.
>>
File: 1449289291117.jpg (86KB, 500x458px) Image search: [Google]
1449289291117.jpg
86KB, 500x458px
>>14422921

Dude, what?
>>
>>14422953
I ended up discussing semantics. (Un)likable, liking as a character and liking as a person have commonly understood meanings though.
Think about it and if you still have arguments then come back. This sounds aggressive but it's not, I just think this argument turned out about nothing.
>>
>>14422926
Why is it not OK?
>>
File: 1466502261587.jpg (23KB, 411x484px) Image search: [Google]
1466502261587.jpg
23KB, 411x484px
>>14422967

I'm... not sure why you thought this was an argument.

I'm not sure why you think I'm arguing for Quess' sake.

I'm not sure where you got half of the shit you claim that I was saying in your last post.

I was just trying to have a discussion, and I pointed out something you were incorrect about (specifically, how you claimed that the creator of the video never "touched her relationship with Char and Amuro").

Are you a Newtype, son?
>>
I don't care if you like her or not just don't let her ruin the movie for you.
>>
>>14423034
Argument doesn't mean "fighting."

I elaborated on my point that it doesn't touch her relationship with Char and Amuro in the first paragraph. Maybe I was unclear on that it doesn't discuss why Quess is needed for them from their perspective or the movie other than a filler tragedy (relationships are to and fro).
>>
>>14423083

Quess was only needed for the average audience who never watched Zeta, but even then, the fact that CCA somewhat adequately revisits Char and Amuro's conflict over (and loss of) Lalah renders the entire point of Quess' existence redundant.

And neither of those two "ditched" Quess herself in the first place. Amuro had nothing for her, which he directly acknowledges, and Char only groomed her to serve his agenda, which he directly acknowledges.
>>
File: char logic.jpg (225KB, 640x1920px) Image search: [Google]
char logic.jpg
225KB, 640x1920px
>>14423120
I agree.
Although
>ditching not being ditching because he always intended it
That's like the "I have never betrayed anyone."
>>
File: 1452162818969.gif (317KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1452162818969.gif
317KB, 500x375px
>>14423153

It's not Char's fault that Garma was unfortunate enough to be born a Zabi.
>>
>>14422765
>Quess is a shitty written character in my opinion
Yeah and my opinion is that you're a lobster but that doesn't make it true.
>>
>>14423006
Why would it be OK? Do you even UNDERSTANDING?
Can you not make a difference between "I choose not to approve that" and "I hate that".
Do you have any level of self-awareness or awareness of the world around you?
Do you think that the world is your show or something?
>>
I genuinely believe Quess would be fixed with cock.

No seriously, she needed a dicking and needed it bad. I mean ahoge-level, mindbreak cock stuffing. It's impossible to not chill the fuck out after that.
>>
>>14423660
By who though?
>>
>>14423703
Yazan
>>
>>14423703
Not Char or Amuro because she'd get way too attached. Gyunei and Hathaway would get too attached to her. The best answer, as always, is a bunch of old fat bald guys while she was on the train.
>>
>>14423775

Have ShindoL direct the scene and we're gold.
>>
File: 1466563321529.png (1MB, 1587x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1466563321529.png
1MB, 1587x1600px
>>14423478

Go to bed before you kill someone, Kamille.
>>
>>14423660

>ahoge-level

But Quess' hair is stupid enough as it is.
>>
File: 377490-kai[1].jpg (14KB, 250x400px) Image search: [Google]
377490-kai[1].jpg
14KB, 250x400px
>>14423703
>>
>>14423861

Wow how did I not notice that when I typed it?

Ahegao, whatever. You know what I meant.
>>
>>14423775

Char should've just passed her around the rowdy, pent-up soldiers of Neo Zeon and told them to have their way with her.

That way, she could get mindbroken to the point where she actually becomes a "machine" whose only human emotion is her "affection"/obsession with Char himself.
>>
>>14422860
That was in the novelized version. In anime, she caused him to kill Chen, who killed Quess by force.
>>
>>14424071

Murder is still murder.
>>
>>14423703
Haman with a strap on in order to teach her who is the alpha female.
>>
>>14423478
You're making a lot of assumptions there but you didn't answer my question. I suppose you think that hate implies some kind of close-mindedness, but it's just an emotion. I can hate what I understand or otherwise love or not even care about it. It doesn't have anything to do with awareness.
>>
>>14424172
Dojins when?
>>
>>14424172
Or Nanai, actually. Wouldn't mind her getting jealous over Char and teaching Quess her place.
>>
I'm pretty sure everyone understood that Quess and Hathaway are the typical anime protagonist characters and that their roles were to show that kids are horrible fuck ups too.
>>
>>14424384
Nanai is a sub. Haman has like six strap ons of various sizes and Mashmyre has had the pleasure of experiencing at least four of them.
>>
>>14424417

Nah, Quess and Hathaway are just rehashes of Katz and Sarah.
>>
>>14424467
Yeah but seeing a sub (to the most powerful single man in the Earth Sphere at the time) become a dom in order to protect her turf is a nice change of pace, plus Quess isn't really anybody to be intimidated by so it's not like it's out of the question. It would be pretty easy for her to stand up to the little girl and release some stress at the same time. Kind of like Ritsuko is a dom to the bridge bunny but is absolutely Gendo's buttslut. Just getting so fed up with Char blueballing her (nanai can we hug while you hold my drink pls, okay thanks I'm good now) on top of a brat thinking she can (and nearly did, thanks to all that special attention) work her way into Char's arms? I can see her snapping on Quess and pulling out a Psycoframe dildo to annihilate her holes until she swears she'll never go near Char again and she'll become Nanai's dog.
>>
I like the direction I steered this thread in from a normal "Quess is a shit" topic
>>
>>14424628
thanks anon

What would happen if two newtypes had newtype sex with a psycoframe dildo? Now I'm curious
>>
the only person dumber than Quess is Hathaway
>>
>>14424658

Are you familiar with how the Asari from Mass Effect have what essentially boils down to a mix of both physical and mental sex?

I'd imagine it'd be something like that.
>>
>>14422570
I liked her. I agreed with most of what he said.
>>
>>14422867
I just love the fact that Amuro was completely willing to kill Char, without the slightest bit of remorse.
>>
Are people really not able to comprehend the fact that an unlikeable character does not mean a bad character?

Quess was meant to be an annoying pest. That doesn't mean we should like her, it means she does exactly what she was written to do; screw things up by being a foolish young brat and pay the price for it.

And to be used by Char in the process.
>>
>>14422570
Not gonna watch the video since every youtube anime reviewer I've seen so far is insufferable however you can intentionally make a character to be unlikable if it serves a purpose. Honestly my issue with CCA was just the wonky pacing not really Quess being an annoying piece of shit.
>>
>>14425158

What if someone tries to convince you to like an unlikable character specifically because they were made to be unlikable?
>>
>>14422570
Fuck that guy, he literally used Gundam, made some videos got 2k+ subscribers and now is making comicbook trash videos.
>>
>>14425158
>Not gonna watch the video since every youtube anime reviewer I've seen s---
You opinion is invalidaded. Please kindly fuck off to /v/
>>
>>14425007

But an unlikable character has the capacity to be a bad character. And considering the very theme Quess is meant to represent has already been done before by Lalah/Amuro/Char and Kamille/Four/Rosamia and Katz/Sarah, and done better by at least two of those examples, that makes her a bad character. That whole "tragedy of Newtype youths" thing is redundant when CCA already goes over the Lalah/Amuro/Char thing a few times throughout the movie anyway.
>>
>>14425250

The same mistakes being continually repeated despite how many times it happens is the meta-theme of Tomino's UC saga though. Amuro and Char both completely failing to stop it from happening again even after living through it, and even facilitating it in some ways, is one of the most important aspects of CCA. It is also important that Quess was much more of a selfish brat than the other newtype girls, since they and the NT protagonists were still left being the few "good" newtypes in the series before CCA. CCA was important to show that newtypeism WILL NEVER save humanity, by making the young newtype boy who would have been the protagonist in any other Gundam series, and the young manipulated newtype girl he is interested in, clearly screw up and have major faults. It was a great re imagining of past ideas while maintaining continuity with the rest of the series.
>>
Why did the guys piloting the Geara Dogas help Amuro?
>>
>>14425900
they got hit with some UNDERSTANDING
>>
>>14425900
Change of heart at the last minute. Perhaps they were swayed by the heroism of Amuro and the EFSF suits.
>>
>>14425900
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY
>>
>>14422703
>>14422728
>Emotional Gundam fans couldn't be made to appreciate Quess
>couldn't be made to
>I appreciate Quess's role in the story

Is there more to her character than lusting for Daddy Char and dying for no reason?
I only saw Char's Counterattack once and wasn't watching it with my dick in my hand so Quess didn't really impress.
>>
>>14422826
I hate her because she's beyond selfish and acts completely beyond any reasonable action.

>I don't like my dad.
>So I guess I'll go join up with the guy who's plotting to make Earth uninhabitable and pilot his psychic death machine!
>>
>>14423153
I fucking love how Xabungle takes the piss out of robot anime of the time.
>>
>>14423478
>>
>>14422570
>thoughts
>youtube link
do we live in age where people are too dumb to put there own thoughts together here?
>>
>>14426471

We certainly live in an age where people are too dumb to recognize a subject for discussion being offered, if your post is of any indication.
>>
>>14422826
Your theory sucks.
I'm here to watch political drama with giant robots.

Who the fuck is Quess?
What does she contribute to the show?
To the plot?

She just bitches and screams til she eventually dies trying to fuck Char.
>>
>>14429305

You want to watch political drama and you're watching fucking Gundam?
>>
File: 1458136734596.jpg (382KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1458136734596.jpg
382KB, 1440x1080px
>>14429318
Explain how Gundam isn't a political drama.

Take your time, I'll wait.
>>
>>14429339

It would be vaguely approaching a political drama if the extent of its politics didn't amount to 'Let's watch these dudes in suits do nothing about a colony being dropped on the moon for reasons' or 'Let's watch Char bribe Federal representatives with gold', or 'let's watch some yammering from 00's talking heads'.

House of Cards and The West Wing are 'political dramas', Gundam has about as much realpolitik as eunuchs have balls.
>>
>>14422867
i don't think Amuro would have killed char, just captured him. I like how she stopped Amuro, if only she let hathaway die she would have backed up the captain leading to amuros death and the death of the federation.
>>
File: quesspapsp.jpg (414KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
quesspapsp.jpg
414KB, 1024x768px
i feel you really don't appeciate CCA until you come to like Quess and Hathaway for their roles and also come to despise Chan, she murders astonaige, quess and then gets btfo by hathaway for no good reason, had she left things alone things would have resolved themselves like in the evolve short. the only "good" thing that came from her death was being the catalyst for the axis shock since she became space tea at that point.
>>
>>14429533
>like Quess and Hathaway
>Hathaway
>like the useless shit that did nothing across the whole movie until murdering his friend for no reason
>>
The only question I have is who deserves to burn in hell more, Quess or Nina?
>>
>>14423422
You obviously don't know what an opinion is. The fact that he is a lobster is an objective statement that can be proven. It's not really open for you to opine on.
>>
>>14422828

So basically a worse reccoa?
>>
>>14429533

>despite Chan

Kill yourself, Chan was best girl.
>>
>>14429381

Who the hell said anything about realistic politics? You were asked to explain how Gundam isn't a political drama, not to point out the absurdities and lack of realism in its political drama.
>>
>>14426430

> I didn't pay attention to the part where she was friends with newtype hippies, Amuro ignoring her, and Char pulling a Scirrico on her.

>>14429305

>>14425370

For one.

There are two separate intertwined plots, the Quess/Hathaway plot, and the Char/Amuro plot. If you don't get what Quess brings to the plot then I think you just need to go rewatch the movie.
>>
>>14431542
There's a difference between running away from home and running away with space hitler.
>>
>>14424730
To me it seems like that's pretty much his entire attitude throughout the whole of CCA. Char wanted to have his climactic final battle with Amuro, but Amuro just wanted to end the goddamn war, since he saw the Axis drop as absolutely retarded thing to do, along with everything else about Neo Zeon.

It's as if the entire world was trying to piss Amuro off, then expected him to play fair. He wasn't gonna take any of that shit, least of all from Char.
>>
File: BHsyrbu.jpg (28KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
BHsyrbu.jpg
28KB, 599x449px
>>14431160
This.

I mean, why else would I fucking listen to this bullshit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yclOE9k5I-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhzR3qn8e0E

At least in Gundam I don't ever have to facepalm during Danny scenes, or wonder why four random sluts can just take over all of Dorne in GoT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U0Ydx53-ik
>>
>>14422570
She has a hell of a rack for a girl her age.
>>
>>14432442
I don't know how D&D managed to make dany even more insufferable than the books but boy did they do it.
>>
>>14424730
I loved that entire sequence. It clearly shows the difference in growth between the two. Char still sees Amuro as some rival and thinks he will wait for some grand duel and that he's going to just ride out of there.

Amuro is just like "nope" and immediately goes after him and pulls a gun on him at the first chance. He's moved on and is done with this rival crap. He has bigger priorities now and actually stopping Char is more important than proving hes better than Char.

The Nu vs Sazabi fight pretty clearly shows this too. Through most of it Amuro is prioritizing trying to stop the drop and prevent zeon from escaping while Char just keeps pursuing him trying to get Amuro to stand and fight.
>>
>>14433768
The Sazabi only lost because Amuro doesn't know how to play for the sport.
>>
>>14425226
>invalidaded
>>
>>14422570
I'm not watching that shit, but just going by your greentext, I'd agree with the notion that a character isn't bad because they are hateable. However, it's not true that you must like a character who succeeds at being hateable if that was the design; if you like them, they're not being hated, which is counter to the whole point.

The first part is something everyone on /m/ would do well to remember. Easy example: Sochie.
>WAH I FUCKING HATE SOCHIE SHE'S WRITTEN SO TERRIBLY WHAT A BITCH
>anon she acts just like an actual rich teenaged girl would
>BUT SHE'S A BITCH
>have you met rich teenage girls
>>
>>14434858
Sounds like a Minmayfag esxcuse
>>
>>14423861
I've always thought Quess's hair looked like cotton candy wrapped in twizzlers. Didn't make me like her any more though.
>>
A character can be designed to to be despicable, success in that regard, but still be overall badly written.
All the themes Quess explore were already done better in the rest of U.C, by a bunch of other characters. Her subplot is dumb.
CCA is dumb overall.
>>
>>14435393
Ok, but don't you want to lick her pussy?
>>
>>14426433

You know technically he's got a point. There's a difference between being joining someone with the full intention of stabbing them in the back later on once you get what you want and geniunely being on someones side until you get disillusioned or get a better offer.
>>
>>14437116
Oh god no. Her hair may look delicious, but I wouldn't even want to be on the same local group as Quess.
>>
>>14426430
>I don't like my dad.
>So I guess I'll go join up with the guys who's plotting to make the west islam and pilot this suicide vest!

Happens all the time irl
>>
>>14437204
Underated post
>>
>>14422826
If the idea is that she's a stupid brat, then that's MORE the reason then I should be able to dislike her without people saying "you just don't GET her, man!"

I get what her character is about.
That's why I fucking hate her.
>>
>>14437987
There's a difference between 'this character was written to be an ass so I despise the character as a person' and 'this character is shit and I hate them'.
>>
>>14438066

Again, Quess is, on some level, poorly written because she's yet another copypaste of a dynamic that's been done to death throughout UC Gundam as a series up to that point, only she does it in a way that manages to be worse than Katz/Sarah all for the sake of... Telling the closest approximation of this "Newtype tragedy" theme where nobody involved in the drama wins in the end?

So, yes, the hate directed towards her is a mix of both the reasons you just gave, with a little more leaning to the former than the latter on my part, at least.
>>
>>14422826
Because annoying teenagers have no place in the trying to nuke the earth bussiness.
>>
>>14422825
NEWTYPE UPRISING
>>
>>14438478
Teen soldiers have been a feature of robot anime from the outset, they have their place. Quess is just the brattiest example of this, to me this makes her interestingly unique
>>
>>14438066
There is, but when people only say "I fucking hate Quess" that could mean either. It's unfair to assume haters don't understand the character.
>>
>>14429305
>I'm here to watch political drama with giant robots.
The fuck are you doing watching Gundam, then?
>>
>>14441779
>The fuck are you doing watching Gundam, then?

Out of an insatiable desire to lick Quess' pussy, perhaps?
>>
>>14422728
Rise stopped that phase a while back I think.
>>
>>14431147
I wonder why Nanai barely got any screentime and development. She looks good, but all we know about her is that she loves Char and she's jealous about Quess.
And manga works with her are not as famous and their status of being canon is "questionable"
>>
File: thread_reaction.jpg (126KB, 540x700px) Image search: [Google]
thread_reaction.jpg
126KB, 540x700px
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.