[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking for good space opera and I was told to come

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

File: SO-2.jpg (102KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
SO-2.jpg
102KB, 1024x576px
I'm looking for good space opera and I was told to come to /m/ and ask you guys.
>>
>>14417432
Book, Show, or Movie? Etc?

Book - Leviathan Wakes and it's sequels.
TV - The Expanse (based on Leviathan Wakes and it's sequels).
Movies - No idea.
>>
Star Wars
Star Trek
Babylon 5
>>
>>14417445
I'm fine with any medium, book, TV, movie, anime, radio drama, video game, doesn't matter so long as it's good.
>>
>>14417463
In regards to music, if prog metal's your thing, check out anything by Ayreon, especially the Universal Migrator and 01011001
>>
>>14417432
I found the Star Wolf books enjoyable. Tsuburaya Pro did a tv series based on it that was edited together as Fugitive Alien.
>>
Lensman
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (109KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
109KB, 1920x1080px
>>14417445
The Expanse has an amazing setting, and the books are generally pretty damn good, although the endings of the three i've read always felt rushed and/or overescalated.

But i mean who gives a shit, it's railguns and orbital mechanics and interplanetary warfare, smuggling, commerce, culture, etc. It's fuckin great
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>14417432
>>
I liked the two Legends of Galactic Heroes movies. The TV show is big and very long, if you want more of the same, but doesn't really stop the narrative ever to just look pretty. I mean, there is action and all that jazz, but you don;t get all that sweet action of people parking their spaceships or doing lane changes in space.

Really, its the little stuff that make it seem so big.
>>
>>14418688

>yay, more fucking huge spaceship formations with little dots in the distance that are more spaceships

All the battles seem droll compared to square dancing battleships in space
>>
>>14418688

>He told us to move forward!
>Let's move forward!
>Oh no! We're moving forward!
>If we keep moving forward, it will be very bad!
>No, it's okay to move forward.
>You can't possibly intend to do THAT!
>Yes I am going to do THAT.
>It's too dangerous!
>Everyone turn right!
> *collective gasp*
>>
File: 3658970970574.jpg (3MB, 2461x1722px) Image search: [Google]
3658970970574.jpg
3MB, 2461x1722px
>>14417432

Battlestar Galactica from the 2000s was pretty good. Reminds me of a live-action Macross story for adults.
>>
>>14417432
The Mote in God's Eye and the Lensman series are two things to check out off the back in terms of books.
>>
>The Expanse
>Legend of the Galactic Heroes
>Battlestar Galactica remake

Not proper space operas. Proper space operas have many sentient alien races.

There are very few anime productions which feature many sentient alien races. Over time, Macross has become one. Lensman is one. Space Dandy is one. Outlaw Star is one.
>>
>>14417432
Mouretsu Space Pirates.
>>
>>14417432
Yamato 2199 would be worth a look.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor is kind of like True Lies. It pokes fun at the genre, but spins a good tale as well.
>>
>>14417432
Lost Universe
>>
File: Legend of galactic heroes guide.jpg (382KB, 794x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Legend of galactic heroes guide.jpg
382KB, 794x2560px
>>14417432
Legend of the galactic heroes.
The first 3 books are getting translated, with the first one already being out and second one coming next month.
>>
Check out Fear Agent.
>>
>>14418902
It's RDM's version of Voyager, with a heavy dose of DS9.
>>
>>14417432
Anything by Peter F Hamilton should keep you busy for some time.
>>
>>14419350
that is an arbitrary definition my guy
>>
File: img11960.jpg (225KB, 800x1128px) Image search: [Google]
img11960.jpg
225KB, 800x1128px
If it is Anime you want, there are still a few worthy titles left to be mentioned.

Crest of the Stars is pretty nice. Very wordy, but in a good way. The bickering between the main characters reminds me of Spice & Wolf
>>
>>14417454
Too mainstream, OP has probably seen it already
>>
But OP you can't have an opera in space. There's no sound.
>>
>>14418718

The standards of the future must be fucking piss poor if Yang and Reinhardt are considered tactical geniuses.
>>
>>14436747

>durrr lets split our best military unit apart, what can go wrong

>durr lets actively sabotage our best commanders

>durr what we pissed off an empire 2x stronger than us? no problem, there's no way one of their guys will rub 2 brain cells together and just go around our fortress

you are correct
>>
>>14418632
What about the show?
>>
>>14436747
They kind of are. But Yang and Reinhardt are both pretty smart.
>>
>>14436747
>>14436747

you're talking about a setting where millions of soldiers were thrown into a meatgrinder trying to take a fortress when they could have just gone around
>>
>>14436800
Honestly that sounds a bit too close to reality.
>>
>>14418688
I love the battles in logh personally.
>>
>>14436884
you forgot about ships just blowing up if they touch the invisible boundary walls inside a region of space

there is no around (unless you were talking about the phezzan corridor)
>>
>>14436884
The show was basically musket-era warfare IN SPACE, so throwing wave after wave of men at an entrenched position probably seemed like a great idea to them.
>>
>>14417432
In which thread were you told this?
>>
>>14436867
Shows pretty fuckin good. They haven't even reached the end of the first book, though, so I've only got a limited awareness of how they'll handle
bigger things
>>
>>14436747
It's not that far fetched to be honest. History is riddled with incompetent commanders that do some of the most jaw droppingly retarded shit. Reinhardt's biggest strength is that he's not completely fucking retarded, though, and that he filled his entire fleet with competent commanders that can do what he tells them to. Yang has some nice tricks, but again, his strength mostly lies in just being competent and choosing good subordinates.

LoGH isn't really a Code Geass/Death Note style "all according to keikaku" tactics wank fest, though. It's about the bigger picture.
>>
>>14435162
>B5
>mainstream
>>
File: starship_3.jpg (168KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
starship_3.jpg
168KB, 1024x768px
>>14417432
How 'bout Starship Operators?

Nice bit of military drama with a sprinkling of (pseudo) Hard SF.

Not gonna win any prizes, but you could do worse.
>>
>>14439406
>LoGH isn't really a Code Geass/Death Note style "all according to keikaku" tactics wank fest, though. It's about the bigger picture.

I don't think it could be put more accurately than this.
LoGH keeps the "opera" aspect of the space opera.

Otherwise, by hard sci-fi standard a battle between Mars and Earth is fuck huge already but doesn't packs punches in epic proportion (and, in order to emphasis how far humanity has spread past it;s cradle.
>>
>>14442885
>LoGH isn't really a Code Geass/Death Note style "all according to keikaku" tactics wank fest, though. It's about the bigger picture.

The show has its moments of Reinhard and Yang reading each others minds that are pretty wanky in a strict sense, but it's true the show does focus more on what happens outside the battlefield in terms of politics, logistics, philosophy and so on. Which is, of course, pretty great stuff too.

>>14442885
Honestly, I don't think it's all that operatic. A little, but it's more of a Star Trek/Babylon 5/BSG vibe than truly operatic in presentation.
>>
Dune - Its Dune, read it.

Lensmen - Classic, but very dated.

Uplift - Most of the books are stand alone, but a common theme develops between them. Very Earth vs the rest of the universe.

The Snow Queen - A combination of Dune and The Snow Queen that actually works. At Worlds End is a little boring, but Summer Queen makes up for it.

Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained - Waring: the first book is practically an introduction, the bulk of the story happens in the second book.

The Hyperion Cantos - First book is set up like Canterbury Tales, second is more straightforward. The sequels are OK but not as good.
>>
>>14443322

>Lists all those sci-fi space operas
Where's Foundation?

Also how is Slan? I've been curious about checking it out due to the name influencing the God Hand member in Berserk and I've heard the anime based off of it is pretty decent too.
>>
>>14443322
How's the Night's Dawn trilogy?
>>
File: Ulans charging in.jpg (369KB, 1280x830px) Image search: [Google]
Ulans charging in.jpg
369KB, 1280x830px
>>14418688
>>14418718
>>14437132
The thing with LOGH battles is that they are there to emulate those old battles of the 18th century to early 19th, like Frederick The Great Seven years war or the Napoleonic wars; with their battle formations, lines of battle, concentration of force and so, but huge ass space ships crewed by thousands of people each.

This is whats the series propose to show, but it really looks stupid, at first, to anyone accustomed more with other kinds of space battles.
>>
>>14439406
Yeah the GE was retarded as hell but damn the Alliance blew them out of the water with the endless self destructive stupidity.

Number of times the Empire got an advantage because Yang got called away to deal with some political BS because Alliance
leaders took anyone winning as a threat to their personal power? Think they did more for the Empires war effort than Reinhard did.
>>
>>14443322
>Dune - Its Dune, read it.
Only Frank Herbert's books though, I just read Sandworms of Dune and it's a waste of time.
>>
File: Mission_of_Honor_Ausschnitt.jpg (403KB, 1217x1559px) Image search: [Google]
Mission_of_Honor_Ausschnitt.jpg
403KB, 1217x1559px
It leans more towards military sci-fi than space opera, but Honor Harrington is nice if you want something a little lighter.
>>
>>14447840
But everybody gets to be a Kwizatz Haderach and there's like a dozen Gurneys and sandworms that swim or whatever bullshit.
>>
>>14417432
Isnt that from Finno-Korean Hyper War?
>>
File: honor02jb480.jpg (116KB, 727x480px) Image search: [Google]
honor02jb480.jpg
116KB, 727x480px
>>14451594
This, just picture the events in the books as an 80s OVA and have fun
>>
>>14417432
Uh, Gundam Wing?
>>
>>14417432
The Culture series by Iain M. Banks. You'll never feel the same way about chairs again.

Outlaw Star. Very Firefly.

Legend of the Galaxy Rangers. 80s cartoon starring Jerry Orback.

Gundam, the Star Trek of Japan.

I'm a Farscape fanatic myself.

Aura Battler Dunbine. Not really Space Opera, more like a Dimension-hopping Opera.

And, last but not least, Outlaw Star.
>>
File: tmp_29535-tAG_1361541934748915.jpg (162KB, 790x532px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_29535-tAG_1361541934748915.jpg
162KB, 790x532px
>>14417432
Check out "Banner of the stars".

It's kinda obscure now and I always like to recommend good older series like this.
>>
>>14417432
The Anne Leckey Ancillary series is good.
>>
>>14442779
Thank you, dear Anon, for bringing up this hidden gem. You are the first other person I've ever seen having knowledge of this show
>>
>>14451830
But there's only one *real* kwisatz haderach, because he has the power of *love*!
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.