[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Golion have to be the Super Robot series that made it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: golionDVD_50.jpg (100KB, 800x591px) Image search: [Google]
golionDVD_50.jpg
100KB, 800x591px
Why did Golion have to be the Super Robot series that made it big over and gets remakes? Why couldn't we have gotten Getter Robo or Voltes V or Dancougar instead?
>>
>>14356809
We got all of those and none of them made it big over here.
>>
>>14356809
> Getter Robo
You mean the thing that's gotten a number of modern OVAs?
> Dancougar
The one that got a modern sequel?
> Voltes V
Fair enough.
>>
>>14356832
He's talking about western success

>>14356809
Honestly, Voltron was probably just a fluke. In the 80s, most westerners probably saw stuff like Voltes as cheap Transformers knockoffs since they didn't have the benefit of a ten year history of giant robot cartoons by then

And let's face it, they still see things that way. Why Voltron and Robotech took off is anyone's guess. Probably they just had the right blend of 80s cheese the public was looking for at the moment
>>
File: cmP7s.jpg (204KB, 754x1024px) Image search: [Google]
cmP7s.jpg
204KB, 754x1024px
Getter got to shake hands with the president, though. Voltron never had that honor.
>>
Why would you want western remakes of those series? Fuck off.
>>
>>14356809
Getter and Dancouga have gotten more modern OVAs and remakes. Golion is dead in Japan, so it's not like new Voltron material steps on anyone's toes.
>>
>>14356809

1. Go Lion is dead in japan.
2. Voltron had nolstalgia factor
3. Voltron's TM was still alive in the west.
4. Unlike Macross there isn't a fucking hatred of the Americanization among a large part of the potential new fanbase since Go lion wasn't that good to begin with.
5. Dreamworks budget.

It's for the best. I don't want Tanzer Z 2.0 or Venger Robo 2.0. And That is what the west would most likely make. Or a horrible adaptation that loses the point of the original, like Speed Racer or Astroboy.

>>14356932
This.
>>
Actually we did get Getter Robo, and from what I remember it was fairly popular considering how little it was pushed.

But like >>14356852 said, Voltron was mainly a fluke.
>>
It helps that unlike those shows, Voltron works as its own thing and the original work GoLion is so generic that in Japan it is completely unnoteworthy.
>>
>>14356857

Well how can he, he has lions for hands
>>
How is Dreamworks Voltron being received in Japan anyway?
>>
>>14357047
It's not available on the Japanese Netflix, so only turbo nerds are even aware it exists and it's unlikely many of them have seen it either.
>>
>>14356809
You know exactly why, m8. It just happened to get a dubbed version that, thanks to being smashed together with another show, qualified for syndication. It's more popular because it got to be seen more. And you know well and good that it's the adaptation that is getting remakes, not actually Golion which is just as unknown as Voltes V to non robo nerds.
>>
>>14356809
I think part of it is Voltron having a relatively unique look to it compared to a lot of other Super Robot series at the time, and unlike a lot of it's contemporaries, it's design lent itself very well to making an accurate transition to toy form, while most other series of the time had to make a ton of compromises when making toys that could duplicate the gimmicks from their shows(probably cause Go-Lion/Lion Voltron has minimal gimmicks outside of combining), which can be seen even with the other 3 franchises associated with Voltron; Dairugger XV/Vehicle Voltron, Albegas/Gladiator Voltron, and Daltanious/Prototype Voltron

>>14356956
yeah the only thing that really stands out with Go-Lion is 1.) how violent it was even by Japanese standards and 2.) the whole "Earth gets destroyed" thing

>>14359254
to be fair apparently Netflix Voltron has integrated some stuff from Go-Lion into it beyond the normal things
>>
>>14356832
> Dancougar
> The one that got a modern sequel?

Nova is a Dancougar sequel, I thought it was a Gravion spin-off.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.