[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's try to analyze G-Reco's failure to connect with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 27

File: G-Reco.jpg (169KB, 1059x372px) Image search: [Google]
G-Reco.jpg
169KB, 1059x372px
Let's try to analyze G-Reco's failure to connect with viewers in the west. Even Gundam Age has a higher score than G-Reco on MAL.

What went wrong? What did G-Reco do to deserve such a negative response? Inb4 retards. There are plenty complicated shows that are loved so that's not the problem here.

This is not a thread to discuss the quality of the show or how shit the taste of MALfaggots is, I just want to understand why G-Reco is the least liked Gundam show in the west.
>>
It's not very good.

At all.
>>
>>14354031
Something seemed off about it. I'm not sure what it was exactly. I watched it weekly and didn't really care about what was going on at the end. I loved Tomino's previous work, Turn A Gundam to death though. It was one of my favourite series. It felt a lot more grounded.

I was planning to rewatch it to see if it's better watching it consecutively instead of waiting a week between episodes.

I feel like maybe there was Japanese subtext baka gaijins like me would't get too?
>>
It doesn't try to be anything crazy, it's just Tomino being genki. And western audiences, like shitposters, only like GAR, comfy, or lolrandum.
>>
Complication wasn't my problem, the problem was how disjointed the whole thing felt to me. The throughline of the show gets muddled in all the candy colored insanity.
I just wasn't very invested because the show didn't really seem particularly invested either.
Call me a plot fag, but to me it seems like they had a tough time coming up with excuses for mecha combat in each episode but wanted to crowbar some in regardless.
>>
I blame it on unrealistic expectations.

It was the first Tomino Gundam in 15 years people were expecting the next Zeta or at least Turn A only to be greeted by G-Reco.

Incidentally it's also among the top 20 most dropped shows on MAL.
>>
The thing it most reminds me of is Final Fantasy XIII.

In medias res storytelling is fine if you find clever ways to inform the audience of what they haven't been told or if you're telling a really simple story.

But G-Reco just felt bloated in the way only a series that got half its episodes canned will.
It's the theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven.
>>
The west has a really bizarre preconception of what Gundam is, and Tomino's Gundam, even though it is the most authentic of the Gundam experiences, never really catches the interest of the west.

We want our military shootbangs above all else, whereas Tomino doesn't push a war-glorifying narrative.
>>
>>14354031
OP, why do we care about MAL?
>>14354041
Source?
>>14354050
Occasional shitposter here, I don't enjoy lolsorandumb or GAR. Comfy is good, but it has to be MAXIMUM Comfy. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't really think of any comfy mecha shows. Although I felt comfy watching Casshern Sins, but that was because of the environment.

I haven't seen Reco, nor do I shitpost about it, because it's not fun to shitpost about shows you haven't seen.
>>14354081
I'm the biggest anti-plotfag fag on this board--and I'm dead serious about my views, not shitposting. I have always maintained that while the plot is ultimately insignificant to a multitude of other factors, if flow isn't handled well because of editing, it can damage the rest of the stuff going on on-screen.
>>14354139
>We want our military shootbangs above all else
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Also
>we
>>
File: 3787328998231.gif (2MB, 700x448px) Image search: [Google]
3787328998231.gif
2MB, 700x448px
I only have three episodes left to watch and I can't find the motivation to finish it. It's really kind of meh. Dialogue is awkward. Fights are dull. Character make some rather questionable decisions. Tonally it's all over the place. And the world isn't established well.
>>
Why does anyone care what the average pleb thinks about G-Reco?

One Piece, Attack on Titan, Nisemonogatari are the most popular and highest rated anime right now and they're objectively worse in every aspect (direction, writing, etc)

The same people who call G-Reco shit are probably fapping to Madoka Magica or Girls Und Panzer or whatever poorly-written moetrash is the flavor of the month.
>>
>>14354165
The world is established very well, you just don't pay attention enough to get everything
>>
>>14354031
>Inb4 retards
It's this. Western fans of anything are always the worst but it's particularly bad with anime fans.

>>14354165
>not posting the brown catgirl
baka senpai desu
>>
>>14354148
>OP, why do we care about MAL?
It has almost 5k votes, it's a good sample size to determine taste. Other anime sites like ANN or Anidb also give G-Reco a very low score but the sample is too small to support an inductive generalization.
>>
>>14354031
Tomino is like grain alcohol

At first you think its awful and some of the weakhearted think they might legitimately die

Then you get used to it. It still doesnt taste good but it makes you feel funny in a good way

Eventually you reach a point where you come to appreciate both the taste and the feeling it gives you, which makes you really enjoy it

The last stage is a sort of alcoholism of various high/low functioning degrees based on the constitution of the individual.
>>
>>14354031
Memes.
Breakneck pacing.
Bad grammar from aussie subs.
Tomino's dialogue in conjunction with bad grammar from aussie subs and breakneck pacing.
Aesthetic doesnt entice most westerners, look at Wing, 00 and IBO in comparison. G-Reco is considered "toyetic" meanwhile the other action figures from literally any other series are all serious war machines in the minds of anime fans.
Un-fucking-realistic expectations from "Kill 'em All" Tomino even though he hasnt made an edgy murderfest since Victory which aired 20 years prior. Even /m/ was guilty of this in the years after the G-Reko novel project was announced back in 2011 or so.

I liked King Gainer so G-Reco was right up my alley. It was okay I guess, needed more episodes to flesh shit out.
>>
>>14354031
>There are plenty complicated shows that are loved so that's not the problem here.

Which ones? most "complicated" shows involve heavy exposition and spoonfeeding and constant repetition of plot points to make sure the dumbest dummy doesn't fail to understand what's happening.

After watching FATE shit (Zero and UBW) I realized that normies love "complex" anime that isn't actually complex but rather provides the illusion of complexity and constantly explains every detail to the viewer but in a way that the viewer doesn't know they're being spoon feed.

G-Reco and Tomino mad ethe mistake that people are capable of thinking for themselves.

The show is such a clear and obvious metaphor for Japan's current political climate yet I've heard it mentioned once or twice.
>>
>>14354148
Are you implying Victory Gundam, of all the stories, glorifies war?
>>
>>14354046
>I feel like maybe there was Japanese subtext baka gaijins like me would't get too?

there was and it was Tomino's motivation for making the show
>>
>>14354165
>Fights are dull.
>>
I can't tell if the people praising G-Reco are trolling or not.
>>
>>14354301
No, but it gibs extreme shootbang,
>>
>>14354295
Gundam is kinda similar in that idea of complexity I feel. The politics are all pants on head retarded but because we can regurgitate whatever excuse the shows give us for cartoonishly corrupt military factions, genocidal lunatics and the species ending tragedies that happen every other week we accept it.

>>14354046
The subtext behind it was explained in an interview pre-airing I think, so if you missed all the pre-air info on G-Reco you might have been lost on what it was supposed to be about.

Basically, Tomino made a massive exaggeration for kids on what would happen if Japan hastily remilitarizes and throws themselves headfirst into war. He doesnt actually think people are as retarded as the ones in his shows.
>>
>>14354314
Dumbass
>>
>>14354316
He has too much faith in us ;_;

What has the world come to when a has more civil g reco threads than m
>>
>>14354295
You realized Fate was originally a VN right? As something originally text based, of course its going to be a little text heavy.
>>
>>14354314
I genuinely thought it was an entertaining show and cannot wrap my head around how people find it confusing. Doesnt matter how much I read about how people can't be invested in it or they can't follow the dialogue or the characters move too much or whatever.

Just none of it managed to throw me off from what was happening.
>>
>>14354315
Good battles =/= extreme shootbang
80s movies = extreme shootbang
Victory doesn't have more battles than MSG or Zeta, so in what was does it gibs extreme shootbang besides perhaps the scale of the battles (which are usually followed by Uso going OH GOD NO, WAR IS AWFUL and kind of takes you out of the shootbang)?
>>
>>14354295
Nice fanfic bullshit bro.
>>
>>14354314
The only people trolling should be incredibly obvious to you.
>>
>>14354250
I actually really like Brain Powerd
I'm willing to admit I have a problem.
>>
>>14354336
Gundam designs in G-reco still looks weird to me after all this time.
And im a guy that liked the designs of the Turn
units.
>>
File: image.jpg (253KB, 1082x542px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
253KB, 1082x542px
What went wrong?
>>
>>14354295
>Fate
>complex

ayyyyyyyyy
>>
>>14354349
Did you even read his post?
>>
>>14354338
Nice.. uh, autism you... cuck.

Hope that was enough memes for you.
>>
>>14354348
>Zeta Gundam

Now i can't tell if Valvrave is worth watching or not.
>>
>>14354360
Did you?
>>
>>14354360
His post is still shit. I for one don't enjoy Fate because of whatever illusion of "complexity".
>>
>>14354367
/m/ is allergic to anime that requires paying attention anyway, why bother?
>>
>>14354344
Based Jonathon Glenn though

It was a fun ride once i gave up trying to figure everything out i really enjoyed it
>>
>>14354378
He said outright that fate wasn't complex, so where is >implying fate is complex come from?
>>
>Implying MAL ratings have ever been an indication of quality
>>
>>14354391
Take the fateposting to/a/, stop derailing the thread.
>>
>>14354329
>(which are usually followed by Uso going OH GOD NO, WAR IS AWFUL and kind of takes you out of the shootbang)
Except this very rarely happens for most of the series.
>>
>>14354395
Fair enough.
>>
>>14354405
For the battles of scale, yes it does. Uso firing the BIG COC- er, CANNON, steamrolling entire towns, etc.
>>
>>14354391
see
>>14354379
>>
>>14354031
>What went wrong?
The show itself. It was bad and that's why it's disliked. There's no conspiracy here.
>>
>>14354418
see
>>14354395
>>
>>14354418
I meant I enjoy fate but not for the reason of complexity.
>>
Havent watched but i want to fuck bellri
>>
>>14354031

Tomino breaks too many storytelling conventions for most people, he has been doing this since the 70s. Currently the anime fandom is in a circle jerk of self referencing and hate works that rock the boat too much.

Also, bad subs + Tomino dialogue makes the show seem less well put together than it actually is for people who aren't willing to sit down and think about what is happening a bit more.

It also was'nt grimdark at all, and most western mecha fans don't like Genki Tomino shows when they come in expecting something like IBO or Wing.
>>
>>14354031
G Reco didn't fail though.

Also
>MAL
>>
File: Bellri.png (209KB, 560x750px) Image search: [Google]
Bellri.png
209KB, 560x750px
>>14354450
That is absolutely not ok
>>
>>14354423
Watch out anon, someone will call you retarded.
>>
>>14354031
>Let's try to analyze G-Reco's failure to connect with viewers in the west.

It failed to connect with nip audiences too you know.
>>
>>14354031
Because of expectations, a lot of people were disappointed of Age and expected of G-Reco to be the savior of Gundam since it was written & directed by the original author himself.

Newfags who never watched Gundam or any mecha anime got in the hype train and ended up mad because it wasn't the new """""""""Eva""""""""" (for them) but just another Tomino anime for us.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/23259/Gundam__G_no_Reconguista/stats
Look at the ratings, click on anyone who rated it below 4 or less and you'll see that they are either newfags or Seed/Wingfags.
>>
>>14354538
>the only people who didn't like g-rectum are newfags.

Keep believing this meme.
>>
>>14354540
Why are you here? don't you have another thread on /v/ to shitpost?
>>
>>14354524

> Good ratings for it's late night timeslot.
> Solid DVD/BD sales, outselling shows like Aldnoah Zero and Cross Ange
> Glowing review in one of Japan's largest papers.
> Final episode saw higher ratings than IBO's.

> Really guys, G-Reco was a flop.
>>
>>14354544
/v/ is full of /pol/ and the macross delta thread on /a/ is almost at 500 replies.

This is a prime easy target for some (You)'s
>>
>>14354539
It took awhile for a even bigger one to show up at least.
>>
>>14354295
>I realized that normies love "complex" anime that isn't actually complex but rather provides the illusion of complexity and constantly explains every detail to the viewer but in a way that the viewer doesn't know they're being spoon feed.

This.

There is a certain type of people who watch shows that make them feel smart or mature. But feel is the keyword here: they prefer shows that create an illusion of being complicated and profound but actually explain everything to make sure the viewer is on board with the plot and twists. Or, they like shows that are seemingly gritty but that's just shallow aesthetics and the actual storytelling follows normal conventions.

Actual complicated or semi-hard to follow shows are disliked by those people, because they make them realize they're not as smart as they think they are (or want to be).
>>
>>14354604
>they just THINK they watch complex stuff, but actually I'M the one who does
Oh, you can't make this stuff up.
>>
I was expecting something more like Turn A, but that's not what it was. I love the atmosphere and aesthetics of Turn A, but G Reco didn't work for me in that regard so much.
About half of the characters in G Reco didn't seem that well defined and had confusing motivations, and the other half had their traits and motivations just exposited instead of expressed in a more natural way.
I don't like or dislike G Reco, it's thoroughly mediocre in my book.
I might rewatch it if we get good subs for it, but there's a ton of stuff in my backlog so maybe not.
>>
>>14354626
That being said, G-Reco doesn't try to trick the viewer. It's very straightforward, it just doesn't explain every minute detail. It explains a lot, but for whatever reason it's not enough for some.
>>
>>14354626
Stop replying to yourself.
>>
>Try
>G-Reco
>IBO

TV Gundam needs to go on hiatus 2bh
>>
>>14354636
Meant for >>14354626
>>
>>14354654
It was improving with IBO up until Japanese parents complained and everyone else grossly overthought what was happening in-show.

I'm amazed at how bad /m/ can be at following patronizing kid's shows.
>>
>>14354654
G-Reco was fine but I agree. The whole Try/Reco thing was cool okay fine there were two airing simultaneously, whatever. Neither were groundbreakingly good or bad or interesting, Greco was genki Gainer shit and Try was a weak sports shounen. They should have said "please wait the usual two years so we can think up some good ideas like usual", don't put out a turd like IBO. And they're probably going to do the same after IBO because Bandai literally can't stop themselves from making fast cash instead of playing the long game.
>>
>>14354031
>>14354083
Anyone autistic enough to keep track of what they watch on MAL shouldn't be used as reference on taste.

As everyone said expectations were unreasonably high, and a lot of the shows criticisms apply to other shows Tomino has directed. The grain alcohol analogy fits I think. He has an odd combination of camp, far out ideas, and violence that make the tone of his work hard to read.

Conveyance of character motivations and plot points has never been his strong suit even though it's all been worked out and there's tons of little background details. He also has trouble with anything shorter than 3 cour as we saw with G-reco's incredibly rushed ending. He tries to stuff so much in that a lot of storylines aren't given their due, and we get characters who make asspull face-heel turns because the plots reached the point where they need the drama.
>>
>>14354670
No all three were shit.
>>
File: 1432341190817.jpg (90KB, 602x960px) Image search: [Google]
1432341190817.jpg
90KB, 602x960px
>>14354367
>>14354382
>>14354348
Really, I thought it was a pretty forgettable CG series.
>>
>>14354546
We need more evidence of this and send it to the ANN newsers
>>
>>14354670
>G-Reco was fine
No. Just no. Even Try was better. At least Try was generic and mediocre but still watchable.
>>
>>14354718
>needing more fabricated bullshit

K.

My dad told me G-Reco was so successful that G-Self is getting an MG.
>>
>>14354718
Damn, you can pepper my pepperoni with that much salt.
>>
>>14354725
>No. Just no.
G-Reco was fine
>>
>>14354718
Why bother? ANN ignores what it (or what it presumes it's audience) doesn't want to hear.
>>
>>14354648
That wasn't me Cuck-o

>Stop posting things I don't agree with!
>>
>>14354636
Nah, I'm not saying G-Reco is complex. But it is harder to follow because Tomino doesn't make sure everyone is on board the exposition train. You need to actually pay attention to what characters are saying and doing or you'll be left behind.

What I'm saying is you don't need to be smart to follow G-Reco, you just have not to be a complete fucking retard or a spazz who can't pay attention.
>>
>>14354758
>they don't let me shitpost, that means they censor dissent!

Oh boy here we go with the"ANN narrative" narrative.

>>14354769
>>
>>14354725
Fuck off, faggot. Try was unbelievably boring. It got to the point where I skipped the straight to the Gunpla battles for a few episodes. I've never done that with any show before.
>>
>>14354784
So you're just a full time mongoloid, huh?
>>
>>14354774
...so it's badly written.
>>
>>14354787
So was G-Reco. I almost dropped it. It got better during the last episodes, but damn, it had some terrible arcs.
>>
>>14354798
So you're a complete fucking retard or a spazz who can't pay attention
>>
>>14354812
So it's badly written, got it.
>>
>>14354539
More like you found the samefags
>>
>>14354139
Underrated post in a shitty thread.
>>
>>14354812
I'll be disappointed if you give him another (You), you should have learned from when the show was airing. Let retards be retards and trolls be trolls.
>>
>>14354830
>>
>>14354798
If you consider IBO-style massive infodumps to be good writing then yes - G-Reco is badly written.
>>
>>14354825
This, because only one guy disliked G-Reco, right. It must be a samefag.

And we were having such a nice thread.
>>
>>14354825
>hurr durr only 1 person dislikes some show that I like
>>
>seasonal anime 2016
>call out poor writing, everyone agrees

>Tomino gundam of any sort
>call out poor writing, autists get mad and call you a retard

It's OK when uncle Yoshi does it, right /m/?
>>
>>14354841
>what is a middle ground
Both shows have terrible writing. We need Kuroda back.
>>
>>14354841
Oh I'm mistaken, you're just retarded.
>>
File: Greco beach.jpg (517KB, 500x941px) Image search: [Google]
Greco beach.jpg
517KB, 500x941px
So is delta and the new srws shitpost proof. Is this why this thread exists?
>>
File: build babbies.jpg (74KB, 466x522px) Image search: [Google]
build babbies.jpg
74KB, 466x522px
>>14354540
Nice try, Build Babby.
>>
>>14354864
Didn't he write Try?

He ain't perfect.
>>
>>14354843
>>14354844
Stop replying to yourself
>>
>>14354874
Don't let him write second seasons, problem solved. 00 S1 and GBF were good.
>>
>>14354866
Yeah, expect to see massive amounts of obvious falseflagging and have it devolve into a 300 post shitpost thread.

Just like the good ol days
>>
>>14354902
We should ban G-Reco.

Then we should build a wall, and make Tomino pay for it.
>>
>>14354902
Cool
>>
>>14354874
>>14354900
Also, Shinya Watada couldn't direct if his life depended on it, and both seasons were victims of outside circumstances.

Seriously, Kuroda's got bad luck.
>>
>>14354864
It doesn't follow traditional storytelling conventions. That's all there really is to it. Pretty much every line of dialogue in G-Reco has a pretty healthy amount of meaning because they all generally have a lot of characterization and exposition packed in at once. It's all delivered in a way you wouldn't normally think about, such as how people actually talk.
>>
>>14354295
>The show is such a clear and obvious metaphor for Japan's current political climate yet I've heard it mentioned once or twice.
That might have something to do with how much of a fuck people over here give about jap politics that don't threaten their cartoons.
>>
Source: コンプティーク 2015年8月号 増刊 TYPE‐MOONエースVOL.10
Comptique (August 2015) zoukan, Type-Moon Ace Vol. 10
ASIN: B00YWYL8F6

Voice from Type Moon Relations / Urobuchi Gen no Yaritaizakari

(Interview with Urobuchi Gen)

http://imgur.com/pJUC4Dm

A story is a method with which one separates things into good and evil via their imagination. It is a system needed for people to keep themselves sane and deal with the unreasoning chaos of reality. Religion offers the story of salvation, for example. Likewise, morals and ethics could be defined as the most popular story of the people of the age. But while these stories are harmless as long as they're used to keep individuals calm, this changes when they're used as tools for a country or race. Stories like "jews are an inferior race that have to be purged" and "capitalists are devils and if you suicide bomb them you can go to heaven" brought about tragedies due to their popularity. For an example on a smaller scale, it's not uncommon that a story that one person regards as a "small love story" turns out to be to the world at large a kidnapping of a minor. At times, stories are a poison that can drive a person mad. This presents a dilemma to us creators: If there are infinite possibilities in writing, is it possible to write a story about the potential danger of stories? A story that renounces stories? Yes it is. Reconguista of G did it.

The villains of G-Reco are the people who take the simple event of "the Crescent Moon Ship is coming from Venus" and add their own interpretations to twist it into a story with which they can move the world. The exact same thing that dictators and cult leaders have done throughout history.
>>
>>14355318
Belri stops them by going along with the flow and doing his best to handle only what's in front of him. That's why there's no intentional dramaturgy to be found in the story which is shown from his viewpoint, and instead it's like reading a replay of a tabletop RPG or watching a documentary on the Discovery Channel where you're left in a vagueness free of undulations with no clear rhythm. The easiest example of someone fooled by the danger of stories is Mask. As a passionate revolutionary who seeks to free the oppressed caste of the Kuntala, he at first seems to be more of a hero than Belri, who just wanders around with no clear goal. However, in the show itself, discrimination against the Kuntala is only mentioned, and not once seen. In other words, in the world of G-Reco, discrmination against the Kuntala exists only in Mask's imagination, and this is his "story". And in order to complete said story, he forces onto Belri the roleplaying of the villain. This is solely because Belri's lineage and surroundings contain elements that would make him a good villain for Mask.
>>
>>14355325
That Belri doesn't respond by arguing with his old friend dramatically is what makes G-Reco amazing. In the end, Belri doesn't commit himself to a greater good or fate or anything above his personal level, and at each point in time only does what he thinks he ought to do at the moment. No matter how much his ex-friend runs around going crazy, Aida's more important to him. And at the end of this one-sided game of tag completely out of place between a robot anime's protagonist and his rival, the final episode concludes with the unthinkable, in which he just abandons the fight and runs off in his core fighter. All that's left are people who are strong enough to live without the lies of stories. They are freed from the boring curses known as "catharsis" or "conclusions" and head towards the future. When I saw the end credits I was just moved, and exlaimed " they did it!". I had been worried about the limits of storytelling, and was just thankful for this slap from a veteran creator to me. Reconguista of G made me genki.
>>
>>14355331
Asahi Shinbun Digital, Subculture Commentary by Uno Tsunehiro
"It's made to be hard to understand." (6th June 2015)

Tomino Yoshiyuki's latest work, Gundam: The Reconguista of G, which ended in March, continues to draw controversy even months after its conclusion.

The far future of Mobile Suit Gundam's Universal Century. After numerous space wars, civilisation on Earth regressed, and only by using the technology of the Universal Century to a limited degree are people living on. The story follows a boy and girl on Earth as they're thrown into a war surrounding remnants of UC technology, but it's nearly impossible to understand the entire story at one glance.

Conversations between characters don't seem to fit together, and the most basic of explanations about the situation have to be deducted from the most nonchalant of lines. A massive amount of information that you can only begin to understand after rewatching recordings several times while taking notes, and a miniscule amount of explanation lead to many viewers saying that they don't understand it. It is in my opinion however that it's made to be hard to understand.

The real world we live in doesn't have a narrative with an all-seeing point of view to organise and record all events. Every single person has their own separate, detached experiences. Fictional worlds, however, are organised; Seen and put together through the eyes of their creator.
>>
>>14355349
In other words, the 20th century was an age where we found out that while localised contexts have to be understood for three-dimensional real experiences to be shared, organised two-dimensional realities (images) could be shared widely through society easily without a need for this. It is a result of this that the media expanded, and it became an age where massive societies of unprecedented scale could be managed. Animation is basically an organised, unified reality where nothing exists on the screen that the creator(s) didn't intend to put there. It is no coincidence that animation and SFX dominate Hollywood's charts. Animation is the ultimate form of two-dimensional expression, with the widest and furthest reach.
So why did Tomino Yoshiyuki chose to create, in such a medium, separate, detached spaces?

What we have here is a strong untimely message. In the present day, information and visuals flood the networks, and anything that you don't know can be searched for and understood instantly, and it is starting to be that the complicated detached realities mankind faced in the 20th century can only be found in media with high amounts of freedom to fabricate, such as anime. It may be that due to a dependence on information technology, humans are starting to let go of the intelligence used to connect, organise, and understand detached realities.

This theme, critical of civilisation, can be seen in many other works by Tomino, but in Reconguista of G this is found not just in the story but also in the execution. At the same time this is also an act that questions again the power of anime as a form of expression to provide criticism in this modern age. If you think of it this way, it's rash to simply treat Reconguista of G as a failure that didn't manage to explain it story.

In the end, the Newtypes Tomino once showed us may have been people with intellects able to understand detached realities without relying on networks.
>>
> It may be that due to a dependence on information technology, humans are starting to let go of the intelligence used to connect, organise, and understand detached realities.

This sums it up.

tl;dr Western viewers are immature babies who can't think for themselves and need to be spoonfed everything lest they start crying like the bunch of fucking idiots that they are.

>WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
>>
>>14354081
I agree. It was my biggest problem with the show. I like mecha fights, but G Reco had the problem of forcing fights when they probably should have just had a slow pace episode to allow things to digest. One of my favourite moments in the show is when Manny is staring at the stars in outer space.
>>
>>14355376
On the other hand, G Reco was full of good fights, so I'm not complaining too hard. But you're right, he could have dropped one or two of the more boring ones.
>>
>>14355379
Bellris cantfuckmyneesan tantrum comes to mind, but i always find that scene hilarious
>>
>>14355392
Nah that's a keeper. There's one or two that are extremely forgettable and thus we can't remember them so those are top candidates.
>>
File: plebs.png (49KB, 676x439px) Image search: [Google]
plebs.png
49KB, 676x439px
>>14354031
>>
>>14354031

I don't know about the rest of you, but the only thing I regret about G-Reco is the fact that such glorious animation was used on a Genki Happy Post War setting where even when they are at war, 'ace' pilots are still hesitating whether to kill people or to disarm them simply cause it feels wrong. Literally all the kills in the series comes from

>'Warning Shots'
>Heat of the moment
>REALLY FUCKING ANGRY at someone
>Treating it like a game (Klim and Mick)

Absolutely no one killed others acting like a professional soldier, and while I really appreciate how sensible that is for the story itself, I really wonder how much this animation team could have done if they put that effort into a full-scale warring era period.

I know Origin is supposed to cover that with the Battle of Loum, but I wanted something new but big you know? Gundam always has this tendency to make the MC and his White Base crew the center of attention and as a result it's just a tiny skirmish shown while at best a big war is in the back ground. I want that background to be in the spot light for once over the course of an entire series, not just one episode to show off some mega weapon that ends up destroying a fleet or two.

I think the closest thing I saw would be the CCA film, and that's just a movie.
>>
>>14355421
>jewtube comments
Not even once.
>>
>>14355421
Stop stealing jobs from honest hardworking Mexicans you cherrypicker you
>>
>>14354881
That's usually how all 80s-90s elitist works. That said, regardless of your opinion of the subjective style of story telling Tomino uses, the animation and fights were top notch and that's really all that matters.

If there's gonna be a real complaint about the show itself, it'd be how they kept swapping back packs like no tomorrow before Bellri even got used to them, and how Bellri basically had more trouble trying to reign himself in from slaughtering everyone than having real trouble after killing his own captain.

Usually the 'Char' is at least more skilled than the 'Amuro' to even out the gap in tech, but in the case of G-Reco the captain was the best pilot at that point, and he died. Everyone else in the show was inferior to Bellri from a piloting stand point, because the show wasn't meant to make the reader go "Oh shit Bellri's got it bad" but rather "Oh shit, how's Bellri gonna 100% pacif-oh nope he got angry again and killed someone."

It's not something your mainstream demographic wants.
>>
Haven't seen G-Reco, but will blind-buy the BDs once they're released over here. All this talk about it having bad subs though makes me worry for the official release. Was it simulcast in english? If so were those the bad subs everyone is on about and would they be cleaned up for its proper release?
>>
>>14355621
Since when do commercial subs ever get cleaned up for BD release?
>>
>>14355621
You can check the Gundaminfo youtube page, I think they still have G-Reco up.
>>
>>14354460
>Also, bad subs + Tomino dialogue makes the show seem less well put together than it actually is
Then why did Japs say all the same things?
>>
>>14355745
Japanese is already a pretty vague language, so dialogue that isn't cultivated to prevent misunderstandings is going to do that from time to time regardless. Even then, people who don't have an education in literature have a harder time grasping abnormal sentences. I don't know if Japanese schools teach writing techniques and figurative language to the extent of western systems.
>>
>>14355780
Baldie fans are beyond parody
>>
>>14355792
Even so, it's worth pointing out declaring such doesn't really carry any weight.
>>
greco was disliked because its nonsense. nothing really drove the plot. characters didn't have good motivations. the world building was awful. alot of time was wasted on filler. there was no point. and it was just fucking dumb. and onto of all that you have little tryhard contrarians say its the best shit ever when it just wasn't. I enjoyed it at the time but its not timeless but gundam series haven't been good for a long time.
>>
>Viewers in the West are dumb
Mystery solved.
>>
File: 1414471886235.png (167KB, 509x518px) Image search: [Google]
1414471886235.png
167KB, 509x518px
>>14355819
That's an awful lot of begging the question you're doing, anon.

The plot is pretty clearly driven by various politicians trying to use military force to attain their goals. Nicchini wanted self-sufficiency to fuel his own war campaigns. Cumpa Rusita created the Capital Army to drive the conflict and try to turn people into Newtypes. Towasanga and G-IT were both trying to regain a foothold on Earth. Bellri clearly only worked with the Amerian Pirates because he was acting as a spy for Cumpa to confirm if they were mobilizing the military. He later chose to defect fully to the Amerian army when he discovered that the Capital Army broke the taboo. The other Capital Guard members joined the Megafauna for that reason as well. Aida was obviously an ideologue. Klim Nick and Mick Jack were treating war like a game. Manny was trying to track down Luin. Luin was fighting to prove the worth of Kuntala despite being an oppressed class. The majority of the other characters were just doing their job.

The world building is excellent. Aside from having established a hyperbolic, but otherwise realistic political climate, the smaller setting elements are pretty clear. For example, centripetal force is used to make detoxing for transportation between Earth and isolated habitats in space possible on the Crescent Ship, a place where that would be common and necessary. That's an actual thing, by the way. The same goes for the garbage disposal. The amount of trash orbiting the Earth is a major problem for space travel. It also played a role in the tension between the various military forces that episode. The Venus Globe's structure is another aspect of world building that played a major element in both the action and the plot. The bodies of various space natives illustrated the consequences of being isolated in space and strengthened their desire to return to Earth. There was no filler here because there was no time for it. Everything has a purpose.
>>
Who do Tomino fans think they're fooling when they try to say G-Reco is just like real life? People have experienced real life first hand, and that's how they know it's nothing like G-Reco. Interaction between people just isn't like G-Reco and even the neckbeards on 4chan know it. Tomino has always had a problem with this but he once able to create characters with distinct lives and experiences who nevertheless inhabited the same world. He was never good at it and the results were often pointlessly awkward and unintentionally hilarious, but he was always grounded in a way the hasn't been in a long time.
>>
>>14354348
> Grouping G-Reco with three masterpieces
> Thinks Valvrape is a benchmark series

Please kill yourself
>>
>>14355896
Would you care to actually point out the discrepancies with real life rather than just assume they exist? It's one of the most blatantly analogous series Tomino has ever made, so just about everything is based on something.
>>
>>14355904
I'm not talking about the inane political allegory or the SF aspects. G-Reco's problems are strictly aesthetic
>>
File: 1439587365836.jpg (54KB, 535x462px) Image search: [Google]
1439587365836.jpg
54KB, 535x462px
>>14355916
>when they try to say G-Reco is just like real life? People have experienced real life first hand, and that's how they know it's nothing like G-Reco
>Interaction between people just isn't like G-Reco and even the neckbeards on 4chan know it

>G-Reco's problems are strictly aesthetic
I'm pretty sure that's not what aesthetic means.
>>
>>14355745
>for people who aren't willing to sit down and think about what is happening a bit more.
>>
>>14355883

>"I actually payed attention" the post
>>
>>14355392
>Bellris cantfuckmyneesan tantrum comes to mind
>removing that scene
HERESY!
>>
>>14355421
>not a damn thing has happened
Is that from IBO's videos?
>>
>>14355434
>I really wonder how much this animation team could have done if they put that effort into a full-scale warring era period.
Unicorn and Thunderbolt share the same team.
And they aren't any better.
>>
>>14355980
Except those aren't remotely full scale warring era.

Unicorn is literally just a rebel group using a clone to fight a Banana in a Gundam who happens to have a crush on the opposing princess. You can count the total population that took part in the war actively and it wouldn't even amount to 10000. Maybe not even 5000.

Thunderbolt is just a pocket in the theater of war, no different than all the other Gundams. It revolves around 'Amuro' and 'Char' and 'White Base', with war being in the background but these parties in the spotlight are always conveniently isolated and not at the fore front.

Even in something like MSG, Amuro at Jaburo ends up hiding in caves and is nowhere near the front lines fighting with the new GMs he ends up fighting Char's retinue.

That's no different for Thunderbolt. Io doesn't take part in the battle of ABAQ, nor do we get to see the main meat of the Thunderbolt sector action, only the tail end. Once again, the amount of characters not in the background fighting in Thunderbolt would amount to less than 1000, a mere pittance.

Going by your logic then even the game played by Gopp and Oxner in Johnny Ridden would count as a war when it's simply a skirmish battle between 3 opposing sides.

What I'm asking for is coverage and focus on the real meat of war. Where the main cast is thrust into the heart of massive mobilizations.

About the only series I know to kinda do that is maybe SEED/Destiny, and I think anyone would understand why I'd want a better team to take a shot at it. I also don't want the focus to be on "MUH PEACE MUH UNDERSTANDING", that shit can come after one side wins. I want actual strategies, tactics, logistics, politics, all of that combined over a long term.

About the only series to ever satisfy such requirements would be Ark Performance stuff, but they don't do full scale warfare so far, nor are they an anime studio.
>>
I live in America, I like it. In comparison to IBO, which I watched before G Reco, Reco feels like a much more enjoyable series. My only real complaint is the strange-ish ending. A sequel film or ova could be cool.
>>
>>14356018
>He doesn't understand the ending

As expected of Murrican retard
>>
>>14356054
I understood it just fine.
>>
>>14356060
The dude was baiting, ignore him.
>>
>>14356065
I already knew that, don't tell me how to live my life on this zeonic imageboard thank you
>>
File: 1465568987084.png (962KB, 1014x761px) Image search: [Google]
1465568987084.png
962KB, 1014x761px
the main character looks like a girl
>>
File: shot0001.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shot0001.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
and it needed more semi-naked women
>>
File: AO3.jpg (123KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
AO3.jpg
123KB, 1280x720px
>>14356136
But Bellri IS a girl
>>
>>14356176
Man,Katejena was tripping balls when she suggested that.

V was a hell of a ride
>>
>>14355897
Found the retard
>>
File: oh shit nigga.jpg (83KB, 1198x1200px) Image search: [Google]
oh shit nigga.jpg
83KB, 1198x1200px
>>14355460
>replying to such an obvious bait
>>
>>14356311
Did you finally figured out how to use the mirror?
>>
>>14356193
Would you a Bellri? And accept responsibility?
>>
File: 1464878322706.png (28KB, 448x357px) Image search: [Google]
1464878322706.png
28KB, 448x357px
>>14355916
>aesthetic
>>
>>14354546
>transformers 3
>box office: 1.124 billion

really guys, the bayformers movies are shit and nobody likes them.
>>
>>14355883
>he seriously thinks the show managed to convey that well in between all the retarded antics and fish poop jokes.
>>
>>14356780
Would buttfug in the asspussy and tsukame happy famiry
>>
File: 1420904812939.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1420904812939.png
1MB, 1600x900px
>>14356844
>and fish poop jokes.
Chuchumy best girl.
>>
>>14355359

What, and Japs aren't, while we disregard the amount of ridicule that this show got in its country of origin?
>>
>>14356844
see >>14355349 >>14355351
>>
>>14355349
>>14355351
Who the hell is this faggot and how much were they paid to make up all this bullshit?
>>
I think G-Reco is a great anime.
on my first watch, as it aired, it was very confusing as everything is just thrown in your face and you are expected to catch them, I stayed mostly because of the nostalgia feel and colorful characters and setting, it's so dense.

It gets better after every rewatch, you catch things you missed before(including some gross shit about pilots shitting inside cockpits) and you understand most of the things they talk about.

The thing is, G-Reco is made to be something of an acquired taste, you're meant to understand it if either you've watched a bunch of Tomino's works or you stick with it and take notes or rewatch it.

It's far from perfect but it's something you'd expect out of happy Tomino.
>>
So, first-time viewer of G-Reco here. When does it get bad? I'm twelve eps in and I haven't had any serious problems. The Tomino-isms aren't even that bad so far.
>>
One major complaint I have about the anime, I honestly cannot tell when someone is being serious or aarcastic because of how everything they do is so exagerrated, I'm pretty sure any time anyone is talking to Nick they're talking down to him and he doesn't notice, but I'm not 100% on that because Mick Jack exists.
>>
File: 1444608668135.gif (827KB, 455x684px) Image search: [Google]
1444608668135.gif
827KB, 455x684px
>>14357004
OTP
>>
>>14354329
>Good battles =/= extreme shootbang
>80s movies = extreme shootbang

Eh? They're not mutually exclusive. Action directing/choreography (whether martial arts, vehicles or or gunplay) arguably peaked in the 80s, "80s movies" are full of good battles
>>
>>14356968
>it's a masterpiece because it's intentionally trying to confuse the fuck out of you.
>>
>>14356054
you're autistic irl
>>
File: pic-000.jpg (817KB, 1737x2500px) Image search: [Google]
pic-000.jpg
817KB, 1737x2500px
>>14354031
I started rewatching it last week because of how I remember an anon saying it's better to see it all at once rather than over the span of months and it really helped.
And it really did.

Because of the way Tomino presented reco you have to watch it in arcs otherwise you'll forget things that tie in if you were watching over the span of a week.
for example bellri's mom appears in a few scenes throughout the first few episodes, and everytime she's usually making offhand comments about the increasing military expansion and Cumpa retorts with the excuse that it's for Bellri.
If you don't pay attention to these scenes you don't really notice the expansion of the capital army and by the time episode 7 roll about you'll feel lost.

To be honest I think the reason I missed this the first time was because I was watching this show and many others over that season, so I would forget important parts.

I haven't gotten to the space arc yet and that's where the pacing is said to get bad but other wise the first episodes are pretty solid,Tomino's just being subtle/not really caring about exposition too much at this point.

Also it feels like he really wanted to make this series longer because of how he tends to shove characterization in short scenes throughout the episodes, which works well but as I said before,if you aren't
watching 3-6 episodes in a go you'll forget these scens and feel like noting's happening.
>>
>>14357022
>no tall strong Amerian waifu to daijobu you or AMERIA FUCK YEAH with
>>
>>14354626
This applies to western media SO MUCH,I remember when interstellar came out everyone was going "OH MY GOD IT'S SO DEEP BECAUSE I CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT"
But anyone who's ever gone to a science museum,payed attention in school or just looked up what the 4th dimension is would've been able to understand.

And the funniest thing is that some of the more childish works seem to be the ones that actually have deeper themes on occasion,it's just that they don't try to coat it through pseudo philosophy or seem deep they just show you.
And if you choose to do it the other way it's not a bad thing it's just that people tend to praise what they think is being smart/innovative or whatever string of adjectives they can come up with just because it seems deep.

it's like no one understands that seeming=/=being
>>
>>14357246
It's funny though:

>I don't understand it = IT'S DEEP
>I think I understand it but actually don't = IT'S SHIT
>I understand it = get called a shitposter
>>
>>14357246
>that episode where arthur infiltrated a mexican cartel and had to melt buster in a barrel of acid to maintain cover
>>
>>14357260
wtf? are you in the wrong thread?
>>
Anyone have the image explaining all the factions involved and Megafauna's route throughout the series.
>>
File: 49138926_p0_v2.png (488KB, 1480x1148px) Image search: [Google]
49138926_p0_v2.png
488KB, 1480x1148px
>>14357389
>>
>>14357246
>interstellar
I remember when it just came out, people were posting charts on social media saying shit like oh you should read this before checking the movie out or else you'll be lost etc. Turns out it's just a bunch of concepts that's been explored in a bunch of other science fiction before. Now, I don't mind admitting that enjoyed the movie (and really, Nolan's movies in general), but it's weird how people like to talk about his works like they're super profound. Hell, I think I vaguely remember people on /m/ going 'it's just Gunbuster' and that pretty much explains all that needed to be explained, no need for charts etc.
>>
>>14358527
They're big movies for them.
>>
>>14358566

What is the next stage of Nolan's master plan?
>>
>>14354083

This right here. Hardcore UCfags that have hated everything that came out in the last decade were hoping Tomino would stick it to Bandai and Fukuda and whoever and blow everyone away with th 2nd coming of Zeta and show everyone "how Gundam should really be". And instead they got Greco.

Its the same reason people are desperate to defend it because all the smug assholes telling Seed and 00 fags hw they were gonna get told feel like fools and don't want to admit they were wrong
>>
>>14358698
I was with you till i could tell you were jacking yourself off in the second paragraph
>>
>>14358681
Crashing this thread.
With no survivors.
>>
>>14358749

They expect one of us in the wreckage, brother.
>>
>>14358774
>wreckage
>no wrecko
wasted potential
>>
>>14356976
>paid
>Implying Sunrise ever tried on marketing G-Reco in the first place.
>>
File: 634534634.png (29KB, 677x298px) Image search: [Google]
634534634.png
29KB, 677x298px
>>14355441
No cherry picking. Back when G-Reco was still visible on youtube, the comment section was flooded with this level of discourse. Also, every episode was ~50% dislikes
>>
>>14359796
so
>>14355359
?
>>
File: mM44Bnz.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mM44Bnz.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: victory2.gif (4MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
victory2.gif
4MB, 400x300px
>>14356228
>>
>>14357969
>>14354881
>>14354565
>>14358698
I see you're deleting your previous shitposts so you can always add to the unique poster count.
>>
>>14359796
Last episode was like 75% dislikes.
>>
File: retard alert.gif (393KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
retard alert.gif
393KB, 493x342px
>>14357268
>>
>>14359796
The dude can't even recognize that the MS is from ZZ, not Turn A.
>>
>>14361502
Watch out, you'll summon the trip whose name starts with Black.
>>
>all these negative opinions
I thought /m/ liked G-Reco.
>>
>>14361606
/m/ likes to shitpost G-Reco threads.
>>
>>14361606
It's one shitposter using multiple IPs, G-Reco is /m/'s favorite show.
>>
>>14354031
>MAL
kill yourself
>>
>>14354171
Jokes on you, I like both G-Reco and Madoka, but I never cared much for Girls und Panzer.
>>
>>14361606
Only few pretentious retards bitterly defend G-reco because they think it's another "le misunderstood gundam show" like Turn-A. The thing is, Turn-A is actually good, while Reco is pure dogshit
>>
>>14357206
This.
>>
>>14361606
The threads when it aired were really nice, it has one or two shitposters at max but mostly comfy.

The general thread ended one week after the anime did, after that almost every thread about G-Reco started with a shitposting OP.

It's always the same 4/5 shitposters who ruin the threads.
>>
File: notb8.jpg (48KB, 627x626px) Image search: [Google]
notb8.jpg
48KB, 627x626px
>>14363773
>>
>>14361606
You know that all those 'G-Reco is a masterpiece/flawless/great/a moving Sistine Chapel ceiling/G-Reco has done something that has never been done before' posts are trolls and shitposters. don't you?
>>
>>14364194
Nowadays, people don't care if what's being said is really meant or not. It's what they want to hear/what will suit their arguments, so they'll take it as fact regardless.
>>
>>14364194
Yes, and so are people like you, who keep bumping shitty threads like this.
>>
G-reco isn't a flawless masterpiece and Tomino has definitely made more artistically successful shows, but it was an oasis in comparison to the many generic shitty robot shows
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.