[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wait, wait, wait, wait wait. So the Federation is actually an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 32

Wait, wait, wait, wait wait.

So the Federation is actually an alliance of a bunch of different races and planets.

Yet we only ever see ships that are from Earth, with 95%+ human crews. Why don't we ever see Federation ships crewed by Vulkans, Andorians, or any other race? Shouldn't all the races have a shared tech and ship/uniform design?
>>
>>14323748
because alien makeup costs money
>>
Still a "Homo Sapiens only club"
also >>14323760
>>
>>14323748
Starfleet is mostly human. Humans are the ones who want to stick their dicks in anything strange and unusual with exotic genitalia, so therefore it is mostly human. There aren't many Vulcans in Starfleet because curiosity is for faggots with emotions.
>>
Different races have different needs. The 95% human ships we see are 95% human because they have earth-like atmosphere and gravity. Some races need additional life support to live on mostly those ships (like the guy who was always vaping on TNG or the woman in the gravity wheelchair on DS9. Even species that can live under these conditions aren't 100% comfortable under them. For example, Spock's quarters had increased temperature and gravity.

There are also two Starfleet ships that are 100% Vulcan that I remember from the top of my head, the Intrepid from TOS and the one with the racist Vulcan captain who challenges Sisko to a game of baseball, so we can assume there are more and for other species.

But mostly >>14323760
>>
>>14323748
Star Fleet the Earth's military and the Federation's.

All the other federation members still maintain self defense forces for their own worlds. Everything between Federation members and non Federation members is handled by Star Fleet.
>>
Within the context of the series, humans are still relatively new to the whole "interstellar travel" thing. By the time seen in flashbacks in Abrams' movies, they've only been warp capable for just over 300 years from the Phoenix's flight in 2063 to the destruction of Romulus in 2387, which is considered the last "canon" event in the timeline.

For comparison, the Bajorans had been exploring the galaxy in person since the 1500s and it's implied that some races had been at it even longer.
>>
>>14323838
The Vulcans have been exploring since the 1500s. Though they nuked them selves back to a pre spaceflight age at least twice.

The Bajorans once, by accident, sailed FTL to Cardassia, hundreds of years before the Cardassians used warp travel to conquer Bajor.
>>
Trek's utopian agenda means it's more interested in showing what our species is doing centuries into the future than it is about keeping up with the other humanoid races.

It also doesn't help that it seems like every ship in Trek sails solo unless there's a big multi-episode season finale going on. The lack of something like a carrier strike group deprives the franchise of more opportunities for mixed fleet action.

I would argue this shortcoming was somewhat addressed over in the Battlestar Galactica reboot which, thanks to the nature of its premise, was able to showcase a fleet of relatively diverse ships.
>>
>>14323748
>Why don't we ever see Federation ships crewed by Vulkans, Andorians, or any other race?
$$$$. Starfleet being predominantly human means less shekels are spent on makeup. As for Vulcans, they probably never considered putting on in TNG or DS9 because it would've been seen as pandering to Spock fans.
Also keep in mind that Starfleet is the UFP's military branch. Every Federation world probably still has its own space program, just not the resources to go on long-term voyages.

>Shouldn't all the races have a shared tech and ship/uniform design?
It's possible this could be the case. There's a bunch of different Federation ship classes different from the standard that could be retconned into [Race]-inspired but you'd need a competent designer to think of this.
>>
File: qo'nos.jpg (656KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
qo'nos.jpg
656KB, 1920x1080px
>>14323894
>It also doesn't help that it seems like every ship in Trek sails solo unless there's a big multi-episode season finale going on

It always bothered me when they showed a homeworld or otherwise very advanced planet and there was NOTHING in orbit.
>>
>>14323925
Well to be fair, it costs money.

Scale models, rendered models, whatever you want to populate a scene with, it'll cost money.

Of course, when you have the money (and/or time), it pays off. Like the redone opening for DS9 where there's an actual semblance of traffic compared to the original's NO ONE FUCKING COMES HERE FOR ANYTHING.
>>
>>14323748
>Shouldn't all the races have a shared tech and ship/uniform design?

Yes, but the budget wouldn't allow it. It's worth noting that, one of the major differences between TOS and The Animated Series was the inclusion of more aliens in the crew - when you were drawing everyone, it really made no difference what they looked like.
>>
>>14325539
Is there just one anon on /m/ who's dead set against decent Star Trek threads?
You're shitting in the DS9 thread too.

This is as far as I'm going to reply, because to entertain this idiocy would be its own punishment.
>>
Man Im rewatching TNG now and it's infuriating how arrogant and sanctimonious the entire crew is
>>
>>14325561
I rewatched it recently, never got that impression.
>>
File: 1426388001826.gif (261KB, 300x306px) Image search: [Google]
1426388001826.gif
261KB, 300x306px
>>14325549
>This is as far as I'm going to reply, because to entertain this idiocy would be its own punishment.
Good choice.
>>
>>14323760
Budget is the right answer t
>>
>>14323748
Humans in the ST universe have a +2 modifier to their "wanting to be on a fucking spaceship" score. Every other race can mostly take it or leave it. They're over-represented because no one else cares that much. It's what happens when you get tired of trees and your post-scarcity society makes working for a living pointless. "Well, shit, what do I do now? Maybe there's something interesting to see/bang over there."
>>
>>14325565
Early in season one, I got that feeling myself. Picard is an uptight asshole, everyone else is a vapid idiot with stupid and inane problems, and the obvious early Wesley Crusher wunderkind issue.
>>
>>14328149
yeah there's a lot of "hahaha look at those retards aren't we so far beyond them"
>>
>>14325561
Yes, the first two seasons are Roddenberry's hyppiness taken to the extreme. Then he dies in S3 and the show improved.
>>
>>14323925
you get that space is pretty big, right? And the tiniest difference in trajectory would have you whizzing past things at potentially kilometers per second. things in orbit keep well clear of each other unless they're very carefully matching speed to rendezvous
>>
File: 1463817628275.png (170KB, 382x346px) Image search: [Google]
1463817628275.png
170KB, 382x346px
>>14328211
>mfw there are men walking around in the miniskirt uniforms in episode one
>>
File: 1409071333946.gif (1MB, 356x321px) Image search: [Google]
1409071333946.gif
1MB, 356x321px
I don't think Roddenberry was as responsible for TNG s1 and s2's style as much as you all claim. As far as I've read, he was basically just the final check before scripts were approved. If he didn't like a concept, it didn't get past planning stage. But he wasn't writing episodes or really dictating anything else about it.

Also, he may have his faults, but he deserves respect for what he's done and what he's given us. No one is perfect, but Roddenberry is the only one to create Star Trek. Mad props.
>>
>>14328282

Plus by the time of TNG, Gene was pretty zonked out 24/7 from his drug cocktails. He couldn't have been THAT influential.

TNG's early issues was more that it was the first time they tried to do Star Trek without the original crew, and didn't really know how to do it differently yet.
>>
File: Lucille_Ball_1944crop.jpg (295KB, 497x483px) Image search: [Google]
Lucille_Ball_1944crop.jpg
295KB, 497x483px
>Star Trek would not exist if it were not for this woman
I always knew she was good, but she was actually God.
>>
>>14328310

Sort of. Some of it is true, some is complete bullshit Gene made up.
>>
>>14328315
That applies to a lot of things Gene said.
>>
>>14328315
No, it isn't. There are multiple sources from multiple people, including chief staff of her production company, about her involvement in keeping the project going despite opposition.
>>
To me it felt like trek space was very empty, and fleets were maybe only in the hundreds when it came to their numbers. And i mean all fleets, Klingons, feds, all of them only in the early hundreds. Which is why we see ships constantly soloing because space is big and they can only afford to sends one unless shit hits the fan.

I get the feeling that resources for building these ships is rare, and as such using them to build stationary space stations is "wasteful". Hence we don't see many space stations, and when we do they look/are older because they aren't built with the "good stuff".

Though in the case of DS9 its location is a critical tactical location, even before the dominion war. So they obviously went a built one hell of a station.

This can explain why the Feds and other fleets use much older ships still. It would be a waste to scrap them and easier to update them then to build a whole new ship. Also explains why they only build so many of a class...

I remember a battle in the dominion war, the Feds attempted to go on the offensive, hoping to cause a great deal of damage. They knew how strong the dominion was, and only sent like 20 to 30 ships.... REALLY?!
>>
>>14328482

To be fair, Federation starships are sort of crazy. They don't usually win by firepower, they win by debuffng the shit out of you with superscience.

Like, during the Dominion war, when they went against those gun platforms. They didn't win that fight by blowing them up, they wont that fight by making them blow each other up.

If you send 30 Federation ships into a fight, you are not really sending 30 warships. You are sending 30 teams of people in, all of which are in a race to come up with the most bullshit way to win this fight using science equipment to gain an unreasonable advantage. Only one of them has to come up with a solution for the fight to end in Federation Victory, so you send multiple teams to get more heads in the game.

It also helps that we know that the Federation is sitting on a treasure trove of doomsday devices and shit based on the data gathered by the various Enterprise missions. At this point. Earth would have to come up with a sorting system to figure out what the most appropriate way to blow up a star system would be out of the plethora of options they have available to them. They can afford to fight sup-optimally, because if shit gets really serious they can just pop out a ghost ship that can't be shot down or detected with the ability to travel through time and explode your planet of origin in the distant past.

Doing so would be unethical, but not beyond the Federation's capabilities in any way.
>>
>>14328365

I meant the part about how she saved it from the Feb 1965 refusal. That part is bullshit and Gene made it up.

What she did was approve the show initially and saved it from its first cancellation.
>>
>>14328482
How big do you think fleets are in real life? For example, the USA currently only has 19 aircraft carriers. In 1945, the USA only had 8 battleships.
>>
>>14328638

And that's one nation, of one planet of no alliance. Now multiply 19 or 8 by however many planets you think are under human control and see how it works out.
>>
>>14328545
Thats true, except they seem to try and use their "military might", get wreaked, then the A team comes in and uses that super science bull shit...
>>
File: 1433682335102.gif (3MB, 380x265px) Image search: [Google]
1433682335102.gif
3MB, 380x265px
>>14328672
Except they aren't building battleships. They're building massive spaceships. Therefore, it's more likely that an average planet would have about 10 spaceships of an equivalent battleship class. So then you're looking at hundreds of spaceships, just like they portray in the show. Wow!
>>
>>14328638
That 19 CVNs is a really fucking dodgy 'only' and we only had 8 BBs in 1945 because you don't spend that much money on something that is no longer the fucking meta. Also the ones we had beforehand got fucking blown up, remember?
>>
File: Admiral Thomas Henry.jpg (17KB, 469x484px) Image search: [Google]
Admiral Thomas Henry.jpg
17KB, 469x484px
>>14328230
>only ship in this sector
>serving on a Miranda
>>
>>14329355
>talking shit about Mirandas
Fuck you. There were science-Mirandas and battle-Mirandas. If anything, the smaller shield would make it more of a tank in battle.
>>
>>14329403
I mean their cool and all especially the Dominon War refits with the pulse phasers, theyre just a bit on the worf side of the jobbing spectrum
>>
>>14328759
>feds can literally turn energy into matter and vice versa
>IT TOTALLY MAKES SENSE THEY HAVE A MANUFACTURING BOTTLENECK

They have a manpower bottleneck, partially caused by their reliance on super high performance from their crews. If they went into a total war economy they'd be able to make tens of thousands of ships without too much trouble. Per planet.
>>
>>14329500
Star Fleet as an education bottleneck.

They're the military/exploration/science/transportation/diplomacy service for a political body that occupies almost a quarter of the galaxy. Yet they have only one officer and enlisted training academy.
>>
>>14329500
Their production capabilities aren't infinite. Replicators still require energy sources which are a limited resource, also replicators must be provided with base materials in order to replicate objects. Additionally, large objects must be assembled manually.
>>
>>14329550
>Replicators still require energy sources
>Can convert matter into energy

Wow, that sounds like such a tough problem to solve. Transporters give a lie to your 'they require base materials' spiel too, btw

Trek tech makes no logical sense.
>>
>>14329563
They don't convert matter to energy. They break down matter into basic building blocks, which they can rearrange. Also, replicators can only create things to a certain degree or "resolution" of complexity. It's not that the tech is so blatantly nonsensical, it's just that you don't understand its rules and drawbacks.
>>
>>14329550
>replicators must be provided with base materials in order to replicate objects
that's why everything in Starfleet is designed to kill you with exploding consoles.
more raw material
>>
>>14329628
Makes sense. They've got a surplus of hoomans so why not use it for yummy steaks and stuff?
>>
>>14329607
>They don't convert matter to energy
>repeatedly stated by the show to convert matter to energy

What's it like to live in bizarro land?
>>
>>14329531
They don't occupy the entire alpha quadrant hell they don't occupy a quarter of it.
>>
>>14329640
>Brick level mental power.

They have common ancestry with teleporter tech except instead of converting matter to energy then moving it and reassembling
it they break down basic materials into energy then reform them into a different form.

What's it like to live in lead poisoning world.
>>
>>14329663
>They don't convert matter to energy
>instead of converting matter to energy
>break down basic materials into energy

Anon, I really hope you remembered to put your diaper on today.
>>
>>14329640
>>14329675
They break down matter into particles.
>>
Does anyone have a star trek reaction image for someone so stupid they don't realize they're sabotaging their own argument the more they talk?
>>
I don't understand how the Roddenberry future can work without money. Ive had well paying jobs I quit because of a shit boss, Im sure as fuck not gonna put up with Ryker's shit for free.

Really all it takes is one bad case of someone getting on your tits and it's "SO LONG FUCKERS"
>>
File: picard.jpg (23KB, 600x458px) Image search: [Google]
picard.jpg
23KB, 600x458px
>>14329697
Do not engage.
>>
>>14329675
>Basic materials > Broken down into free form > Recombined in new form.

The "energy" bit is the teleporter beam that carries out this process. They just use it differntly you obtuse chromasomally deficient sheetstain.
>>
>>14329698
It seems to be frowned upon. Look at Ro Laren.
>>
File: face_palm.gif (854KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
face_palm.gif
854KB, 300x300px
>>14329714
>teleporter
>sheetstain
>>
For those of you who haven't seen Breaking Bad:
https://youtu.be/mIsauNJ392o
>>
>>14329714
>gais gais star trek doesn't do what it says it does
>only i am able to figure out THE CODE

Nigger, it's time to get off the drugs.
>>
My Frodo question about Star Trek is if it's so easy to time travel in Star Trek with like a slingshot maneuver around a sun, why doesn't everyone do it ALL THE FUCKING TIME just to fuck with people? And we know it's not just he Enterprise that can do it because in Star Trek IV they did it in a Klingon Bird of Prey.

Is it like a Mutually Assured Destruction thing? You go back in time to take a dump in the pool of primodial ooze that forms their species, and they'll go back in time and take a dump inl yours, creating a paradox and making Q have to get Picard to fix shit again?
>>
>>14329777
Because the time cops will come and fuck your shit up
>>
>>14329781
Ohhhhhhhhh yeah, they did have far future Time Cops in Voyager, didn't they?
>>
>>14329640
You're half right.
The food replicators are literally just transporters. It's like this:
You put a plate of scrambled eggs onto Transporter 1 and beam it to transporter 2. When transporter 2 recieves the transporter signal, you right-click-save-as "scrambled_eggs.ncc"

Then you set a base block of proteins and minerals on Transporter A and beam it to transporter B. When Transporter B receives the transporter signal, you click Open With->scrambled_eggs.ncc and that base block of proteins and minerals is reassembled as a replica of the plate of scrambled eggs instead of a replica of the base block.

It has ALWAYS worked this way. That's the entire reason why the QuadroTriticale was important in The Trouble With Tribbles (and why it was bad that the tribbles ate it all).
>>
Why are you guys talking about this shit that's NOT Japanese?
>>
>>14329889
Sulu was japanese, right?
Also Obrien's wife, who iirc has some Gundam character named after her.

But what's *really* baffling is why they don't use the transporter technology to instantly repair damaged portions of the ship. They could just dematerialize the damaged Hangar 4, inject a little extra material from base blocks in a storage hanger, and rematerialize a repaired Hangar 4.
They don't even bother doing this with something as simple as outer hull plates.
>>
>>14329889
>implying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JShPVYFajpM
>>
>>14329881
Transporters have to actually convert matter to energy and back again to do the things they're shown to do. If they only work by rapidly assembling raw materials into a perfect copy of the original, they can't transport to anywhere other than pads. They can't have copies made (like riker). Of course, that doesn't take into account that apparently people aren't disintegrated at all (remember barkley and finding the penises floating around his transport?).

Star Trek technology makes no sense. It's not written to make sense, it's written to solve whatever problem the episode has and not to follow continuity.
>>
>>14329889
Imagine if Star Trek was an anime. It would be 100x better. Why can't westerners just let the superior nipponjin handle their stories? It baffles me.
>>
>>14328638
Let's clarify something:

The USN's carrier-driven fleet force is like 5 of 6 active numbered fleets (10th fleet is a bunch of cyber goons), across which are spread the 12 active carrier strike groups, each of which has an attached destroyer squadron, a Ticonderoga cruiser or two, and a carrier air wing, +/- other escorts and support.

The crucial part being no boat sailed alone, something that feels jarring in Trek no matter how much the science writes it off.
>>
>>14329930
Yes, they do convert matter to energy and back. The problem is the amount of energy needed to create matter is only feasably obtained by converting matter into energy. Just using the ship's power to create matter would be far from feasable.

And they transport to/from places other than the pads all the time. If you wanted to transport from sickbay to the bridge, your signal would only need ot be relayed through transporter control, you don't have to materialize and then re-transport.
And transporter-clones are a thing, and have been since the original series.

>it's not written to make sense, it's written to solve whatever problem
Actually the scripts for the original series would have things like
Spock:"Captain, there appears to be [TECHNICAL]"
because after the scenes were written the scripts were passed to a few theoretical physicists that Rodenberry kept on staff to fill in an irl esoteric theory that could cause the problem the script demanded.
Just because you didn't understand the theoretical physics involved doesn't mean they didn't make sense.
>>
File: zTJAr62.jpg (108KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
zTJAr62.jpg
108KB, 692x530px
>>14329971
>this entire thread is started by an autist saying transporters don't actually convert matter to energy in order to solve the problem of 'not enough energy'
>the amount of energy needed to create matter is only feasably obtained by converting matter into energy

Wow. You're actually retarded.

>Just because you didn't understand the theoretical physics involved doesn't mean they didn't make sense.

Right. Because the end result of human evolution being predetermined and pic related is just too complex for feeble human minds to understand.

Wow are trekkies in denial.
>>
>>14329964
You're being ironic, but you shouldn't.
>>
>>14329794
They also showed up in DS9
>>
>>14329964
>Nacelle pylons are actually giant katanas made from superior nippon steel folded 10000 times
>>
>>14330025
That was one of the best episodes
>>
>>14329908
>Sulu was japanese, right?
Sulu was Asian. Given name Hikaru was Japanese but family name Sulu is watevs. iirc the character was specifically intended to not be a specific flavor of Asian.
And Keiko was Japanese and a total control bitch even beyond the legends I've heard of real moonwifes.
>>14330025
Pretty sure Mully and Sculder were modern time cops, not the future time cops.
>>
>>14329911
>Banjo Ginga as Worf
>Akio Otsuka as Riker
>Hochu Otsuka as Data

That's some on point casting.
>>
>>14329911
Is that Romi Park?
Her voice makes me feel all weird and fuzzy inside.
>>
>>14328282
Gene was very involved early on. TNG launched as a low budget show in a writer strike. Their show wasn't as effected since most of the core cabal of writers were vetted in under TOS work. Gene would do concept checks and closing checks, but there were at least twelve episodes in S1-S2 where they passed concept and didn't hash out as he hoped in writing. So he'd go through and Gene-up heavy edits and try to kick some writers out of their credit, despite the foundation for the edits being someone else's.
>>
>>14328282
There's a lot of behind-the-scenes sources on TNG S1 and S2. Basically Roddenberry got a lot more hands-on and dictatorial than he was during TOS because he got screwed out of the movies, and just like "modern" "Trek" "fans" he was pissed that the movies weren't as sci-fi and high-minded as the TV series.
>>
>>14329777
There's probably a limit on how far they can go with it. We only ever see them jumping a few centuries and in IV that one jump fucks up the ship.
>>
>>14330099
>Hochu Otsuka as Data

Japanese Data sounded familiar...the VA was also the first officer in Yamato 2199 (the cool, logical science officer).
>>
>>14328482
>>Though in the case of DS9 its location is a critical tactical location, even before the dominion war. So they obviously went a built one hell of a station.
Eh, it was built to be a slave camp in space more than anything. It was just where ore mined (presumably) on Bajor got processed. It's a very old and busted station before getting fixed up in time for the season 4 opening battle. It's low-techness compared to federation standards was often part of the plot.

It didn't become much of a tactical location until the Federation administration began. Spoonheads were kicking themselves.
>>
>>14328211
i see,that is why it suddenly got better.
>>
Andorians have been pursuing an isolationist policy, Vulcans don't give a shit. Tellerites don't give a shit. Minor members of the Federation are too busy focusing on domestic issues on their home planets. Betazoids are space stacies that just want sum fuk.
>>
>>14329697
>>14328282
>>
>>14329964
>Defiant is surrounded by a huge Dominion fleet
>"Mr. Worf, let's use... that."
>The Klingon smirks, then initiates the Defiant's transformation sequence
>>
File: Vic_Fontaine.jpg (95KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
Vic_Fontaine.jpg
95KB, 400x389px
>>14331591
>WHAT BOUT MY STAR(FLEET)
>>
File: Ezri_dax_tr116.jpg (39KB, 892x727px) Image search: [Google]
Ezri_dax_tr116.jpg
39KB, 892x727px
>>14329964
>Jadzia is dead. She's not here anymore! But she lives on in my symbiont! Who the hell do you think I am?! I'm Ezri! I'm not my previous host, Jadzia! I am myself! Ezri Dax!
>>
File: 1426389086849.gif (1000KB, 192x213px) Image search: [Google]
1426389086849.gif
1000KB, 192x213px
>>14331597
Vic Fontaine and his club was way better than it had any right to be.
>tfw you see him in old movies
>>
File: vf.jpg (44KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
vf.jpg
44KB, 320x240px
>>14331597

Same guy?
>>
>>14331597
vic fontaine was one smooth mofo. damn i miss ds9
>>
>>14331591
Voltron-esque Gattai sequence with other ships and ds9 itself, forming something that looks like the baund doc on steroids?

or

Defiant does the Last Starfighter death blossom, its (false) nacelles opening to reveal multiple phaser cannon and rocket launchers with tricobalt tips

"...this is the federations dominion!"
>>
>>14332067
the jazz station near me has a few of his songs in rotation
>>
File: 1440965778294.jpg (59KB, 675x514px) Image search: [Google]
1440965778294.jpg
59KB, 675x514px
>>
The real question is why doesn't 4chan have a sci-fi board
>>
>>14335726
/m/ doubles as a sci-fi board for the most part, which also means we don't have a build-up of shitty new memes and objective opinions that happen whenever a new board appears. Same reason I don't want a Retro Anime board, even though it deserves more discussion.
>>
>>14329911
I wish there were more clips of Trek in Japanese on the internet
>>
>>14331591
I was watching an episode the other day at work with subtitles on where someone said "it can't be helped" Which I remembered what it was so I could screencap it.
>>
>>14328297
Combined with a writer's strike. Competing script treatments for a single Westley episode got green lit as individual episodes.
>>
>>14328759
It's a terrible shame that CBS won't remaster DS9 or Voyager. Seeing this and other pivotal scenes in HD would be amazing.
>>
File: 1425721875898.jpg (408KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1425721875898.jpg
408KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>14335822
Last time I checked nico had TNG, DS9, and VOY pretty much complete
>>
File: 1368490585051.gif (1MB, 245x152px) Image search: [Google]
1368490585051.gif
1MB, 245x152px
>>14323748
>Why don't we ever see Federation ships crewed by Vulkans
There's an all-Vulcan ship in DS9. They play baseball against the DS9 crew.
>>
>>14331473
No it wasnt in a tactical position. It got moved to one after the wormhole was discoverd.
>>
File: 10858908434_f0fa156a4b_o.jpg (2MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
10858908434_f0fa156a4b_o.jpg
2MB, 2000x1333px
>>14337018
yeah it would be sorta like if there was a Japanese internment camp in the middle of Colorado that got revamped into Denver International Airport
>>
In the pilot the stations in orbit above Bajor and it's not till the wormholes discoverd that Kira moves it with a risky stunt in order
to "claim" it for Bajor that it becomes important tacticaly. (More of a strategic point really)

At that time DS9 was a joke with only a handful of old torpedos. After the Dominion showed up and flattened that New Bajor colony then imprisoned Sisko and blew up the USS Odyssey Starfleet began quietly upgrading the station into something that could do more than
spam foul language and pics of klingon nutsacks at a hostile fleet.
>>
>>14337126
>Starfleet began quietly upgrading the station
Yes, there are pictures in the DS9 Technical manual showing the new phaser arrays and rotary torpedo launchers. I wish the show had gone more into how the station was slowly turning into a mix of federal and cardie technology.
>>
>>14337137
Would have been nice but the show was airing at the time when CGI was only just begining to replace
traditional models so somethings were limited by what they had on hand.

Not to mention they were running stock footage at the end.
>>
>>14336790

Amazing
>>
>>14336790
That would have spiced up generations that's for sure.

But what kind of attack would Kirk have?
>>
>>14337145
He would go super saiyan when his shirt got ripped
>>
>>14337145
>But what kind of attack would Kirk have?

Bamboo musket that shoots diamonds.
>>
>>14329964
>Replace deflector dish with a giant cannon, powered by the warp drive, firing micro-singularities.
>Mechs because why the fuck not.
>More qt alien wifus.
>More skintight uniforms.

Fuck yes.
>>
>>14323748
How exactly is Star Trek mech related? I like Star Trek and all but I don't understand why threads about it are posted on this board.
>>
File: 1383535430537.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1383535430537.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>>14337495
Star Trek has been here longer than you and also features lots of androids, robots, ships and fantasy tech. Bye bye!
>>
>>14337522
Oh. I rarely get on this board. I figured /m/ was for things like Gundam and things that feature mech suits.
>>
>>14336899
>hey batter batter batter
>hey batter batter batter
>DEATH TO THE OPPOSITION

Oh Worf.
>>
Star trek the animated series was loaded with alien races up the ass I'm only 3 episodes in and kirks crew has become 1/3 aliens
>>
damn, this is an ugly, ugly print
>>
>>14328230
nigga they got teleporters n' reaction drives n' replicators n' sheeit. There should be whole cities in orbit around major planets. It wouldn't really be beyond any given major trek civilization's capabilities to go out and tow in some asteroids and comets and shit and build artificial (small) moons.

>>14328638
>5% of the population of one planet, in a time of unprecedented relative peace, maintains a fleet of ~10 aircraft carriers of various kinds, plus 9 amphibious assault ships which would be aircraft carriers in anyone else's navy. Plus 22 cruisers. 62 destroyers. 54 attack submarines. 14 ballistic missile submarines, and 4 guided missile submarines.

>in 1945 (subtracting losses), the US had 23-24 battleships, fast battleships, and battlecruisers, 93 fucking carriers of all types, 72 cruisers, something like 648 destroyers, hundreds of submarines, frigates, minesweepers, and lesser ships.

>http://www.ww2pacific.com/shipcount.html

I would expect an entire interplanetary alliance facing a bevy of existential threats from every side which pop up on an almost weekly basis to, I dunno, apply themselves a little more.
>>
>>14338016
Those poor nico streamers
>>
>>14338562
Yeah nico can get rough looking. But beyond that encode it's an ugly print too
>>
>>14328545
This.

The Federation had plenty of more extreme options in the Dominion war, but never used them.

Imagine Genesis devices launched at Cardassia Prime. War over quite quickly.
>>
>>14337036
I don't remember DS9 being a portal to hell
>>
>>14323782
>Vulcans because no emotions
Or, you know, the fact that they were genocided.
>>
File: 1465489870659.jpg (162KB, 550x463px) Image search: [Google]
1465489870659.jpg
162KB, 550x463px
>>14337453
>More skintight uniforms
>>
>>14337453
>Yamato 2199!
>>
>>14338547
>existential threats from every side which pop up on an almost weekly basis to

If you mean the random space anomaly of the week. Do they ever say if the kind of shit the Enterprise goes through is standard for a starfleet ship or the exception? Is the Enterprise the exception that proves the rule or the rule itself?
>>
>>14338626
>Imagine Genesis devices launched at Cardassia Prime. War over quite quickly.

There's a game where you can do just that. Somehow doesn't stop whatever planet you launch them at though.

>>14338687
Do you even main timeline?
>>
>>14338626
>Imagine Genesis devices launched at Cardassia Prime. War over quite quickly.

Uh, they never would have gotten through their defenses to do that. And it's not like the Cardassians or Dominion are lacking doomsday weapons either.
>>
>>14330829

Gene's problem was that he was obsessed with the idea that "only I know what's good for Star Trek".

That and again the drugs. And the philandering.
>>
>>14339740
>>14338626
one defiant was able to pollute an entire planet to make it unsuitable for human being. You don't really need the genesis device.
>>
>>14340025
That was a barely colonized planet outside of their territory.
>>
>>14340095
This
>>
File: Elasi_FINAL_06.jpg (307KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Elasi_FINAL_06.jpg
307KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>14328245
>worked a government job
>had to be out on a tarmac in the summer in 100+ degree heat
>have to wear a uniform; long sleeve shirt and heavy slacks
>women have a skirt option
>nothing expressly forbidding men from wearing the women's uniform
>ordered one and worked the rest of that summer in my "government kilt"
>pissed off some superiors but got away with it because of the union and the government generally being anal about rules and there being no "MEN CAN'T WEAR SKIRTS" written anywhere
felt good
>>
File: worf-way-of-the-warrior.jpg.jpg (59KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
worf-way-of-the-warrior.jpg.jpg
59KB, 692x530px
>>14343912
Nonsense. Starfleet uniforms are designed for maximum comfort, even in the most extreme environments. Weather is no excuse to wear a skirt, regardless of sex.
>>
>>14329964
You've now reminded me that there was a Thunderbirds anime. I need to track it down sometime.
>>
rewatching First Contact makes it REALLY obvious that Zephram Cochran is supposed to be a parallel to Gene.
>>
>>14344415
Gene was a drunken asshole with some good ideas that saved humanity?
>>
>>14344417

Yes.

>can't keep their hands off women
>have drinking problems
>are great visionaries in their field
>motivation for said vision was primarily money and pussy
>despite all that, history has elevated them to bring almost deified for what they created
>>
>>14344422
I wouldn't say that this was obviously their intention, but it's a nice interpretation.
>>
>>14344429

No I don't think it was on purpose, but then the people behind FC never outright denied it
>>
>>14344399
>there was a Thunderbirds anime

Thunderbirds 2086 was actually called "TechnoVoyager" in Japan. "V" and "B" being the same in Katakana at the time, Technovoyager-1 (or "TekunoBoijaa-Wan") was labeled TB-1, etc.
>>
>>14344169
Skirt-guy says otherwise.
>>
File: ElasiPirate2260.png (57KB, 400x211px) Image search: [Google]
ElasiPirate2260.png
57KB, 400x211px
>>14343855
>>
>>14344861
After all, IT'S 2364!

Damn, the internet has completely ruined my view of the future and previous depictions of it.
>>
>>14323748
Id love to see a series about an all Klingon Federation crew.
>>
>>14329403
>battle mirandas
The Soyuz class was probably packed with sensors, not cannons.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Soyuz_class
>>
File: SWEDEN YES.jpg (205KB, 655x922px) Image search: [Google]
SWEDEN YES.jpg
205KB, 655x922px
>>14343912
Is realistic at least.
>>
Star Trek threads always make me want to reinstall ST:O.
>>
>>14349309
No need to hurt yourself.
>>
File: 1433862100249.gif (2MB, 288x216px) Image search: [Google]
1433862100249.gif
2MB, 288x216px
>>
>>14349327
ikr. the space stuff was pretty dope tho
>>
>>14331597
HAAAAA
>>
>>14323748
TOS and DS9 had all Vulcan Starfleet ships. Starfleet descended from Earth Starfleet. As such it kept some old regulations with it like no Human Augments in the service.

Founding member worlds still keep their own fleets like with Vulcan and Andoria. In the case of Bajor the Bajoran Militia was to integrate into Starfleet when Bajor was about to join the Federation.
>>
>>14328482
Dialogoe had the 7th Fleet at a hundred starships. The battle to retake DS9 Starfleet only managed to gather 600 ships of several fleets but not all fleets for the operation arriving in time against the Dominion-Cardassian fleet of 1200 ships before the Klingons came into the picture evening up the odds.
>>
File: Relva_VII_skirted_personnel.jpg (517KB, 855x909px) Image search: [Google]
Relva_VII_skirted_personnel.jpg
517KB, 855x909px
>>14344861
I always wished TNG kept skirts, they looked good.
>>
>>14323748
Only 3 out of 7 are humans in this photo.
>>
>>14350839
Fuck off /pol/
>>
File: x-ad1.jpg (103KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
x-ad1.jpg
103KB, 500x332px
>>14350839
Well duh professor X is a dirty mutie.
>>
>>14328545
>Doing so would be unethical, but not beyond the Federation's capabilities in any way.

Thats why they have section 31
>>
>>14337036
>ok this is odd
>use triangle to search

Google: best guess
denver international airport

WTF?
>>
>>14349379

those 1st 2 seasons of DS9 were dreadful
>>
>>14351540
Not really.
>>
>>14323748
There's literally an episode of DS9 with a ship crewed by vulcans with a vulcan supremacist captain.

They play baseball.
>>
>>14345548
ELASI FOR LIFE
>>
>>14351534
Yeah it's one of the murals at the DIA.
Theres a few like that.
>>
>>14328149
Riker is pretty fucking bad.
>>
>>14337565
TAS- one of the most expensive series for it's time, due to hiring core actors from TOS to reprise their roles, so to make up for it, they took advantage of the animated format to present a fully 'diverse' crew voiced by non-famous actors, including putting a catgirl on the bridge crew. Also, Satan.
>>
>>14352245
They also had a Native American character who was better written than Chakotay for one episode.
>>
>>14352712
Clearly, you don't believe enough in the spirits of your ancestors. Akochamoya.
>>
>>14352728
Wasn't Janeway's spirit guide a lizard?

Akochamoya to you too, fellow certified Cherokee.
>>
Wesley Crusher is a pretty good character. I thought he was going to be annoying. He is a tad too smart though, seems kinda boy wonderish.
>>
Does anybody have any close up pictures of the electronic handheld computers they use? I like the designs.
>>
>>14352963
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/PADD
>>
>>14352910
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are noting just baiting.
The problem with Wesley is that he is essentially the JarJar of TNG, that is to say that he is considered to be the embodiment of everything wrong with the writing of early TNG. Just like JarJar, he is no where near as bad as people like to make him out to be, but also like JarJar you can see where they went wrong with him. The idea of Wesley was honestly pretty interesting. You can see what they were trying to do, have him be an example for the younger audience, just like them, he is young and full of potential, but he needs guidance in his life. In this capacity he acts as a foil for the other characters, letting them show off different sides of themselves and give him, and by extension the young viewers, life advice and show them that they too were young and made mistakes. This way through the series he would start out inexperienced and make mistakes, but with each mistake he learns and matures as a person until finally he becomes a worldly and mature adult ready for the responsibilities of being one. The problem was that they dropped the ball and made him too perfect for that kind of plot, he never really makes mistakes, and when he does, instead of being something that they call him out for, it is instead seen as a happy little accident and he is praised for it. Honestly, the only episode that did the kind of plot a Wesley character should have right was when he accidentally kills a class mate due to trying a banned maneuver.
>>
>>14353557
I haven't gotten to that part yet, at least he doesn't have a terrible personality.
>>
>>14352757
Akochamoya is an actual indian word?
>>
File: 1440756590748.jpg (3MB, 2283x1256px) Image search: [Google]
1440756590748.jpg
3MB, 2283x1256px
>>
>>14329777
Because it's really hard and dangerous to do. Even though Kirk lucked out several tmes using it, they still ruined their fuel crystals in ST4 and their makeshift repair to it almost didn't hold on the return trip and only last second Spock math saved them. It's something you casually want to do.
>>
>>14338626
Genesis was a one off thanks to Khan killing the majority of the scientists an detonating the only torpedo made, then Kruge killing the 2nd to last. Only Carol Marcus survived and she refused to attmpt to work on it again.
>>
I don't think anyone posted it: Ubi is publishing a ST game for VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romB8e5nMp8

>>14360741
The torpedo also needed proto-matter, which is apparently super-illegal.
>>
Is there any reason why whoppie introduction was odd? It seemed like she popped out of nowhere.
>>
>>14360741
There's a follow-up to the genesis project in ds9. They use it to restart a dead star
>>
>>14361867
The way Q spoke about her in the first episode made it sound like they hade a lot more planned for her than what actually ended up in the show. I assume they wanted her to be some kind of foil to him, but in the end she was just a wise bartender who was also really old. Maybe that's what makes it weird.
>>
>>14363785
her race seems to have some existence beyond the normal timestream, so maybe it was like how demi-godlikealienSisko was able to punch him in the face, so Q was playing it safe when Guinan busted out that space kung fu stance
Q seems like a real pussy about getting hit.
>>
>>14323748

The Federation is actually quite young. They've only been around 200 years at the end of Nemesis.

So imagine how the US would have been like in like the 70s. TOS aired not long before that, and that was when Kirk kissing Uhara was a big deal.

(that said, this would make all the inter species alien sex extremely Progressive... if TOS knew how things turned out today, they'd make Kirk have sex with an attack helicopter)
>>
>>14329698
The Federation still has money called Credits. Only Earth goes with the no money paradigm. Other worlds, human colonies, cargo ships use money. Heck Janeway had an anecdote a Vulcan merchant in San Francisco charged her more once he saw her Starfleet uniform.
>>
File: 1374116383611.jpg (192KB, 543x760px) Image search: [Google]
1374116383611.jpg
192KB, 543x760px
>>
>>14323748
1) We do see an all-Vulcan Starfleet ship in DS9.

2) Starfleet is an Earth/Human institution. Other alien races are welcome to enlist and enroll, but other planets/races frequently have their own fleets and priorities. It's like how NATO is this big alliance of dozens of countries, and yet the USA consists of the vast majority of its forces. We volunteer this stuff, and people like the Vulcans are like "nah, Imma be over here making science and shit."

3) It's also important to note now young the Federation is. At Kirk's time, it's only 100 years old, and its reach is very limited in the broad scope of the entire Galaxy. By TNG, it's 200 years old, but that still isn't a lot of time for cultural and ethnic boundaries to begin dissolving completely. By the 27th Century though, through the peeks we see in Enterprise, the Federation is much more integrated.
Thread posts: 194
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.