[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since that recent mecha designer thread died... I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: aqua-gm.jpg (154KB, 354x600px) Image search: [Google]
aqua-gm.jpg
154KB, 354x600px
Since that recent mecha designer thread died...

I don't get why people get all mad over Katoki's redesigns. These same people don't understand why he's so popular in Japan. You really LIKE the age of Okawara's fucking retarded proportions / lack of perspective drawings vs someone who can actually draw, and whom takes note of what military machines tend to look like? A lot of his shit's not bad, plus his redesigns of suits far surpass the originals (Refined Barzam, Gebera Tetra Kai etc). They're modern-looking suits for a modern age. I'm guessing the same kind of people who hate Katoki love the funky old shit 80s no grades, don't put on decals and such just because they want to be 100% anime accurate etc. Which is an intolerant faggot mentality. You'll never like anything new in Gundam, ever, if you can't mentally open yourself up to anything new.
>>
>>14316324
The problem with Katoki is threefold.

He makes everything look like it's a military machine. All the art and creativity is sucked out of the mecha.

Katoki's mobile suits all have the same basic proportions.

Katoki poses them all the same way, which is ridiculous when you actually try to stand like that.
>>
>>14316382
The point is the make it look like a military machine.

The have the same proportions because that's his style.

You don't draw dynamic poses when doing line-art to use as a reference when animating.
>>
>>14316382
>Katoki poses them all the same way, which is ridiculous when you actually try to stand like that.

It's reference lineart. The majority of mechanical designers use the same or a similar pose. Even Okawara.

And of course he makes them look like military machines. that's what they are supposed to be and a part of why a lot of his redesigns are popular.
>>
The Katoki pose is actually a good one. Lord knows I wish more people would pose their models like that instead of just doofily having them stand there.
>>
File: 80s-figures.jpg (40KB, 436x540px) Image search: [Google]
80s-figures.jpg
40KB, 436x540px
>>14316445
It's not even a "Katoki pose", it's just called an A-stance. Pretty much any static figure is usually in that pose, it's the staple for heroic display for as long as statues and figures and toys have existed.

The retards who scrunch their figures up with arms and legs perfectly perpendicular to the ground tend to be people who lack common sense.
>>
Okawara is fine. You're all just looking at this wrong. Let me explain it to you all. The main reason there are such dramatic differences between the proportions of various designers is that its all about isometric perspective.

Katoki is an engineer, and does his designs with their primary venue in mind; scale model kits. As a human viewer you are usually looking down at the model kit, and this the head and chest are more prominently displayed, while the legs become smaller the farther away they are. He compensates for this by making the upper body smaller and legs larger, theoretically making the design equal. If you look at the RG line, this is the opposite. the 1/1 gundam was design as a 1/1 structure, and thus had a larger head and chest with slimmer legs to compensate for the isometric perspective of a viewer standing below it.

Okawara does take this same perspective into account, but does not compensate for scale, that's why his designs and lineart appear to have large feet compared to the rest of the body.
>>
>>14316324
>These same people don't understand why he's so popular in Japan.

Because he has like 5 model kit and toylines named after him?
>>
He's good at reworking and modernising oler designs, but all his designs, original or remade look very samey.

>don't put on decals and such just because they want to be 100% anime accurate

His decals are way too much. They ruin the look of the suit.
>>
>>14316324
>You really LIKE the age of Okawara's fucking retarded proportions
This is subjective as fuck and Okawara, s proportions have changed a ton over the decades anyway.
>/ lack of perspective drawings
lol wut
Okawara's lineart has always emphasized perspective.

The only real problem he has an an artist is stiff as fuck poses, but that's why he's known more as a designer than an illustrator.
>>
I'm not a big fan of SRW, but didn't he do the Wild Falken and Würger?
Cause those are some great (Gendoom ripoff) designs.
>>
I like Okawara's non-Gundam designs.
>>
>>14316324
>Aqua GM
Such a dumb idea shouldn't look so cool.

And I like Katoki's military aesthetic. I don't watch gendum for super robot antics, as often as they tend to show up. I could not control my dick whenever a mobile suit of any stripe showed up in Unicorn.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.