[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they have to make such a terrible series with Macross

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: shit girls trio.jpg (180KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shit girls trio.jpg
180KB, 1920x1080px
Why did they have to make such a terrible series with Macross Frontier, I mean, the last series aired ~10ish years before it so why couldn't they take the time to make something better instead of relying on brand recognition?

I've been rewatching the whole saga and finished frontier yesterday and holy shit, I know the older series were not perfect but Frontier is just so bad:

-Bland and terrible characters (dense fujobait, boring genkiblob, bitchy ojou...) with little to no development
-Retarded keikaku doori plot with tons of sub-intrigues that get ditched or forgotten by the scenarists and that's saying a lot by Macross standards
-Bad 3DCG action scenes that mix awfully with the rest of the drawn animation
-Terrible choreographies for the fights
-Worst love triangle in the series
-Terrible fanservice and lack of originality, the "listen to my song" made me chuckle and the new versions of old songs were nice but they made a ton of asspulls, especially in the last episode, to bring fanservice that deteriorated the pacing and the story
-That one is subjective : bad Jpop songs for most of the OST (I'll give them the Seikan Hikou scene was great)

From what I understand they made the movie versions to correct a lot of these critics.
I watched the first one and it looks better on a lot of these points but it feels like it wouldn't be able to hold itself regarding the story.

Frontier definitive edition when?
>>
>>14283143
brand recognition? Macross was pretty much dead before Frontier
>>
>>14283164
Thus, even making a shitty series would make fan happy.

I fail to see what your argument is, it's not because a saga hasn't been updated in a long while that fans forgot about it, see all the recent follow ups from Hollywood's biggest hits.
>>
The movies were way better than the series. Like to a ridiculous amount
>>
>>14283143
Macross was complete shit after the original run. If you want more Macross-level work, watch Orguss and maybe Southern Cross. The rest is shit and it also shits on the established world setting and series theme.

Just because some non-aliens were freaked out by the very existence of culture, it doesn't mean everyone in space should be at all costs affected by it as well, or that it's what Macross became popular for. Macross is space opera with cool battles and a relatable, manly protagonist porking the girl. For the intellectual types you can add inter-species communication, but the show was never very good at it. It was a nice backdrop, i guess.

Sidonia no Kishi has more Macross than any other Macross show since SDFM, for instance. Idols, de-culture nonsense, school settings, random main male characters deaths are not what people want to see in Macross. Fucking japanese, if you want to make formulaic shows, at least use the right formulas.
>>
>>14283286
>REEEEEEEEEE Muhcrossu is MANLY SPACE OPERA and ROBOT FIGHTS MUSICFAGS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEE

You can leave at any time.
>>
>>14283286
>and a relatable, manly protagonist porking the girl.
There is nobody who actually watched SDF and would call Hikaru any of these things
>>
File: 1403481929394.png (2MB, 1920x1088px) Image search: [Google]
1403481929394.png
2MB, 1920x1088px
>>14283315
I'll turn your offer back at you.
>>
>>14283320
Minmay is spreading his legs for him, and he's like "bitch's not steady enough for this guy!".

Fuck off, fat hyper-estrogenated cunt. What the fuck happened to this board.
>>
>>14283286

Instead they want to see indiscriminate character death, alien clones and people getting splattered against the walls of colony ships.

You were the one who compared Macross to Sidonia, not me,
>>
>>14283332
Yeah you definitely don't know what you're talking about

More like Hikaru trying to get in her pants more then anything
>>
OP you're a moron. Frontier is not perfect but to say it has awful space battles is pure ignorance, and Sheryl is one of the best characters in the franchise.
>>
>>14283335
Yes, absolutely. Welcome to sci-fi, it's a niche genre because cunts are not around to ruin it.

>>14283341
You only watched the movie and you're still so wrong the only explanation is you're shitposting.
>>
>>14283143
>Retarded keikaku doori plot with tons of sub-intrigues that get ditched or forgotten by the scenarists
Like what?

I mean Frontier has its issues but I am pretty sure they covered their plot bases. Except for Michael's but he's not relevant to the larger plot
>>
>>14283350
>You only watched the movie
Oh please, Minmay was way more into Hikaru in DYRL than the series. In the series it's painfully clear she doesn't see him that easy for a long period of the show

DYRL didn't have the subplot with Kaifun stealing Minmay away at every turn and making Misa go full retard. You know what did though? The series.
>>
>>14283346
>t. Sheryl

She's a cliche whiny ojou with a weak side. I'll give you she's better than the green moeblob.

And I didn't say it had awful space battles, only bad choreographies, it feels wonky and they always fight the same monsters throughout the series bar the last episode so it lacks variation

>>14283355
The vice-president's, also the retarded motivations of Grace
>Hey I'll unite the whole galaxy
>But i'll make myself the ruler because im so so bad *diabolic laughter*

Also, too many asspulls.
>>
>>14283377

You are full of shit. The choreography was fine and saying they only fight 1 type of enemy so it's bad is a ridiculous complaint. Especially since there is an episode where Alto has a battle with Klan.

Also while you may not have liked it, Grace and Leon's arcs were not dropped. There is a difference between unfinished and "I didn't like it."

You are retarded.
>>
>>14283377
>and they always fight the same monsters throughout the series bar the last episode so it lacks variation
But that's normal? How often does the enemy in a Macross series have variation? They fly the same enemy robots all the tim,. I'd say the Vajra had most variation considering there were like six or seven different types, even more so in the movies and they kept evolving. You want no variation, just look at M7.

>The vice-president's
He wanted to be president
>also the retarded motivations of Grace
Well I'll admit it was shallow "Mwahahaa, we want to control the galaxy" but that doesn't mean anything was forgotten
>>
>>14283350
>Yes, absolutely. Welcome to sci-fi, it's a niche genre because cunts are not around to ruin it.

I didn't know things you could find in a slasher film, that is, blood and guts, were cornerstones of science fiction.

Thanks a bunch, you dingbat.
>>
>>14283393
Even in SDF the enemy progresses as they introduce the spies, the ace pilots, the meltran,...
In frontier :
>olol the mindless monsters developed anti reactive weapons shells we're fucked now

And no, 7 had variation, they introduce loads of Protodeviln, who themselves try new strategies and the Humans realize they are fighting other humans and some try to surpass themselves to not kill them but only incapacitate them.

Anyway, I may have been rash about Frontier on purpose to start the thread, but it certainly felt repetitive to me even with the few episodes where they fight other stuff.

>>14283392
>Ad hominem
(you)
>>
>>14283286
>If you want more Macross-level work, watch Orguss and maybe Southern Cross.
AND WE AT
>>
haha you're all mad about Macross on a Taiwanese shadow puppetry board
>>
>>14283424

>wrong about everything
>huhuhuh (You)

Fuck off, retard. Your complaints are asinine.
>>
>>14283178
you obviously have no idea how huge Frontier was in anime not only with "hardcore" fans

and most of it's success was because of the songs
>>
>>14283286
>I know Macross better than Kawamori muh grit

go back to roboshit.com
>>
>>14283640
But they didn't aim the show to that broad audience, see all the references and the blatant fanservice
>>
>>14283896
Oh but they did

I like Frontier more than SEED, so I don't like making this comparison, but it was pretty much the same as SEED. Easily accessible while being referential. I mean, there's a hell of a lot of people that have Frontier as their first Macross and it was a big thing in 2008.
>>
>>14283910
Oh actually you may be right. Did they try to win their fan backs with the movies? I don't recall much from the time the series was airing and I completely ignored the movies.
>>
>>14283896
They did, you think the newer fans got the references?just like in Delta that's only a small thing for the old fans the anime itself it's for everyone
>>
File: Do the Hoi Na~.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Do the Hoi Na~.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Y'all niggas need to chill and eat some Windermerean Apples.
Sieg Spess Belka
>>
>>14283972
The movie thing is funny the first one was pretty much the anime

The second one was an idea Kawamori had since 92 and it was pitched for a live action version in usa

But both where done because Frontier was a huge success even 5 year's later you could hear Sheryl's songs in akibahara
>>
>>14283910
Frontier is still huge in Japan, even with normal people.
>>
>>14284380
Sheryl? You mean May'n's songs.
>>
>>14283377
Vajra. Zentradi. SMS. Galaxy forces and combined enemies in finale.
Same monster? Anon please.
Grace was just crazy by that point. And it was that cyber Zentradi something that was spewing nonsense about unification. Only asspull was Alto surviving when his Nightmare got shot down.
>>14284367
And those mostly reference 7 for nineties kids or Frontier for new fans.
>>
>>14283143
You're clearly going overboard here. I'll give you that half the criticisms you have do have merit to them, like the bad characters. Frontier's job was to bring back on the map, and it did so splendidly, but not without cost. That we have so many pander bait characters is one of these costs. The plot is also really weak at best.

You're just wrong about the action and choreography though.
>>
>>14283286
>Idols, de-culture nonsense, school settings, random main male characters deaths are not what I want to see in Macross

Fix'd that for you.
>>
>>14284929
I love May'n but Frontier was her with Yoko Kanno
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.