[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

easily the worst Star Trek film worse than Final Frontier, Nemesis,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 12

File: rwm4o7gbavm125slaiynfrnlols.jpg (232KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
rwm4o7gbavm125slaiynfrnlols.jpg
232KB, 1000x1500px
easily the worst Star Trek film

worse than Final Frontier, Nemesis, and In To Darkness
>>
>>14231140
its better than the one about the whales
>>
>>14231140
>Worse than Nemesis and In To Darkness
Whoa there, don't say things you can't take back.
>>
>>14232301
>says a double dumbass
>>
>>14232310
I'd easily put it above Nemesis.
Random Guy Claiming To Be A Clone was better than the Enterprise growing a joystick and a hot tub.

Comparing it to Into Darkness is a tough call. Into Darkness is pretty goddamn bad, but it has Robocop being an evil Trek guy again, and it _didn't_ end up called "In 2 Darkness" so it could have theoretically been worse.
>>
>>14232301

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcC1f1jqCPI
>>
Anything by Abrams is inherently bad and should be ranked at the very bottom.

That said, it's easy to rank Insurrection higher than those, as well as the shave the whales movie. So you're not setting the bar very high.

1. The Wrath of Khan
2. The Search for Spock
3. Undiscovered Country
4. the Motion Picture
5. Final Frontier
6. Nemesis
7. Insurrection
8. First Contact
9. Generations
10. Voyage Home
11. root canal
12. then you can add the shit that Abrams made.
>>
>>14232301
No. You didn't fucking go there.

You will respect the whales and the nuclear wessels.
>>
>>14232379

This.

Also, what happens to those who don't respect STOPPING THAT DAMN NOISE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr82dZpCr48
>>
>>14232379
And transparent aluminium.

The only passable TNG movies are First Contact and Generations. But never as good as most two-parters.
>>
>>14232355
BS. First contact should be atleast 2-3. One of the best movies and just awesome.
>>
>>14231140
This is the one with space amish, isn't it?
>>
>>14232483

Yep.
>>
>>14232483
And the bad humour. And every name having 'iso' in it.
>>
>>14232463
Some people hate FC because they think Picard shouldn't still be triggered by his Borg experiences.

Personally I prefer the angle of him being a rape victim waging a personal war of revenge.
>>
>>14232483
Space Californian Commune. The Amish have shame and guilt, they don't sniff their own farts and live in the Nappa Valley.
>>
>>14232501
I think after seven seasons of him being the very model of a responsible Starfleet officer he's entitled to one full on Captain Ahab murder boner rampage. Kirk had like, what, three? Five?
>>
>>14232501
Of course he should be triggered. They made him fucking annihilate a fleet at the battle of wolf and took away the things he loved most, freedom, etc. Now they come back and try and take away his new ship.
>>
>>14232355
>Voyage Home that low
>>
File: I dunno lol.png (13KB, 460x367px) Image search: [Google]
I dunno lol.png
13KB, 460x367px
Unless it's a movie from the original series, it sucks. That's the rule of Star Trek and this is coming from a TNG fanboy.
>>
>>14232739
>First Contact
>>
>>14232753
Was about to say this. First contact was fine.
>>
>>14232501
>>14232514
It's not triggered What a trite term that's gotten popular for whatever reasons, he never got over the experience even if people try to claim he resolved his inner demons after the fight he had with his brother in 'Family'. I mean look at 'I Borg', he was the last person to accept Hugh because of how he was influenced by his personal experience with the Borg. I don't believe in shit like the rape analogy either because Picard personally knows what the Borg are capable of so he's going to do everything possible, even sacrificing his ship and crew to stop them. It's why he gave the shoot to kill order to all his crew if they ran into anyone who was infected and why he shot the infected crewman who was begging him for help since he didn't want to have anyone go through the same experience he did.

Regardless the big problem with First Contact was that is was just a retread of The Wrath of Khan since the main story was one of revenge. But unlike Khan who was fully consumed and killed because of it, Picard was pulled back from the brink by Lilly.

>>14232331
Nemsis is clearly much worse because they got a director who had no knoweldge of the series, and unlike Nicholas Meyer who did his homework and was able to work with the crew to an extent, Stuart Baird didn't do anything and actually clashed with people like Johnathan Frakes. The end result was just Baird injecting his own ideas into Star Trek (Like a car chase scene in the desert) and creating a spectacle with no substance.

>>14232713
People don't like Voyage Home because of the overbearing environmental message and no space battles. I'll be honest, as kid the latter really impacted my judgement on it, but in the later years, I came to appreciate the fish out of water moments all the crew had. Was the taxi driver Bill Paxton? He looked and sounded like him
>>
>>14232331
The problem with In 2 Darkness is that it's basically fanboy fanfiction. If it weren't for that, it would be an alright action movie.
>>
>>14232355
Switch Final Frontier and Voyage Home and this list is accurate.
I don't know how anyone can watch Final Frontier and not say it was absolute shit.
>>
>>14232801
Because Final Frontier has as much comedy as Voyage Home, is more in line with "modern" post-Roddenberry Trek, and gives us some really good friendship moments.
>>
>>14232789
Not only that, the biggest problem is that when Abrams just pitched the idea, it was obvious it just boiled down to 'I'm going to redo the Wraith of Khan' and Paramount for what ever reason gave him the green light. Abrams has managed to kill the spirit of star trek and star wars, what's the next big franchise he's going to kill?
>>
>>14232789
Honestly if they didn't turn Khan evil it would have been good.

>>14232817
But VH didn't shit on the characters.
>>
>>14232827
>kill the spirit of star trek and star wars
What are you even talking about.
>>
>>14232355
>the Motion Picture that high
>Search for Spock that high (I like it, but it's not THAT amazing)
>Final Frontier anywhere near that high
>First Contact that low
>Voyage Home that low

Holy shit, I'm impressed. You made me legit mad.
>>
>>14232817
>Because Final Frontier has as much comedy as Voyage Home
FF's comedy of cringeworthy from the very first scene with the rocket boots. VH was campy, but it knew it was campy, so the comedy came across a lot better than "What does god need with a starship?".
There were already so many episodes dealing with the enterprise finding some sort of omnipotent being, the plot had been done to death at that point and didn't have the spectacle that TMP had to prop it up.
VH went for something different, and while some consider it preachy, it's really no more preachy than Star Trek's whole idea of a utopian society. It's a nice shake up to the formula while still being a familiar throwback to earlier time travel episodes. Plus we just had a film where Kirk loses his lover, Spock, and then the very next film he loses his son. A lighter tone more than a welcome change of pace.
>>
>>14232509
>Kirk had like, what, three? Five?

Enough to try and restart war with the Klingons
>>
Wait, so all of the TNG films take place concurrent with the DS9 series?
>>
>>14232827
>what's the next big franchise he's going to kill?
Wasn't he in talks with valve a few years back to work on a movie based on their games?
>>
>>14232948

Yep, and late TNG is set during early DS9. Nemesis is set right after the Dominion War, so it's post-DS9 era.
>>
>>14232948
Even the series was at the same time as DS9, also Nemesis is post Voyager.
>>
>>14232783
The dune buggies was funny because they triggered Takei with it.

I liked how 5 included important rock climbing and shit taking gods, two parts of TOS that got left out of the movies until then.

4 is lucky that the TOS gang are better liked than The Fat Boys or it would be on the 80s Fish Out Of Water shelf next to The Disorderlies
>>
>>14232827
Bullshit, he made star trek into star wars and he did a safe but entertaining star wars movie.
>>
>>14232957
At least the rockclimbing makes some sense since they're on shore leave. The fact they used a dune buggy in Nemesis was just embarrassing. 4 was good exactly for the reason you said, if they used any of the other casts, it would fail. With the exception perhaps being DS9.

>>14232949
Valve's already done a good job killing those themselves.

>>14232957
>>14232844
He outright tried to murder Star Trek (His movies are on par with the garbage that was Voyager.) and did a horrible rehash of episode 4. Even Episode 1 was better than that dreck.
>>
>>14233113
>Even Episode 1 was better than that dreck.

You're entitled to an opinion... just know that you are wrong.
>>
File: RIKER LEAN.gif (2MB, 792x621px) Image search: [Google]
RIKER LEAN.gif
2MB, 792x621px
So how badly do you think the new Star Trek series is going to flop? I bet the uniforms are going to be more drab black and grey stylings and everything is going to be grimdark with SJW plots.
>>
File: 1463194711537.jpg (384KB, 1605x1347px) Image search: [Google]
1463194711537.jpg
384KB, 1605x1347px
>>14232860
>his lover, Spock
>>
My favorite Star Trek movie is Galaxy Quest
>>
>>14233246
I predict the opposite extreme, way too bubbly and tongue in cheek.
>>
File: tacticalvest.jpg (130KB, 1920x818px) Image search: [Google]
tacticalvest.jpg
130KB, 1920x818px
>>14233246
Prospector's space-undies + tactical vest is clearly the next uniform.
>>
>>14233283
I'm a big fan of vests but honestly the Starfleet Grey uniform does not really do well cut down to a vest.

Material is a bit too thick and sweatery.
>>
There's some decent names on board so far for the new series, I'm willing to give it a shot.
>>
File: alex kurtzman.jpg (99KB, 594x396px) Image search: [Google]
alex kurtzman.jpg
99KB, 594x396px
>>14233301
>matt leblanc on hormone therapy is the executive producer
How many of the horrendously cheesy Hawaii 5-0 episodes was this guy responsible for?
>>
>>14233012
>Implying that making Star Trek like Star Wars isn't killing its spirit.
Star Trek isn't Star Wars. It should never be forced to be like Star Wars.

>>14233246
>So how badly do you think the new Star Trek series is going to flop? I bet the uniforms are going to be more drab black and grey stylings and everything is going to be grimdark with SJW plots.
Its going to flop but not because of SJW plots. Anyone who complains about any SJW plots ruining the new series will be talking out their ass . Star Trek has always had episodes with SJW plots.

The reason its going to flop is the release method. Its going to be exclusive to CBS's shit streaming service which nobody uses.
>>
>>14233335
>people will claim TNG was so great because it never crammed SJW shit down your throat
>while conveniently forgetting that time Riker was in love with a hermaphroditic third-gendered baby carriage and nearly started an intergalactic incident over it
>>
>>14233335
>Anyone who complains about any SJW plots ruining the new series will be talking out their ass . Star Trek has always had episodes with SJW plots.

No, you don't even understand what SJW. SJW isn't legitimate social issues. It's 1st world problem non-issues like words "triggering" people to the point where they want to outlaw terms or the inability to see different points of views.
>>
>>14233360
There's some disturbing parallels to the Borg that can be made.
>>
No...Nemesis was garbage.

Insurrection WHILE bad was the most TNG film of them all.
>>
>>14232438
I like First Contact a great deal.
>>
>>14233374
to me the biggest problem with insurrection was it didn't feel like a movie and more like an extended TNG epsiode
>>
>>14233382
Well technically all TNG movies were extended episodes. Not one of them really added anything new to Star Trek.

Picard was still a little preachie.
Riker still wanted to lay anything that was willing.
And Worf still gets stomped by the bad guy to prove how bad they were.

Although First Contact gave Worf a saving grave when they allowed him to chop up a Borg some how with a Batleth, which you think the Borg would have adapted to one of those by now.
>>
>>14233432
The Borg always seemed a bit slow when it came to kinetic damage.
>>
>>14233370
The Borg seek perfection, SJWer seek to push their flaws onto everyone else.
>>
>>14233360
Some people have different definitions of legitimate social issues. I've seen people cry SJW on issues that had (some) merit to them just as often as I see it applied to people who are "triggered" by anything that doesn't fit nicely into their hug boxes.
>>
>>14232783
I do not see how FC and WoK were a retread. I see revenge, but that is as far as it goes. FC was a bold new film with a great story. A retread would be Into Darkness and that is just fucking garbage.
>>
Nemesis was good.
Not because it was actually good but because it was so horrible that they stopped making more movies set after it, opening up the universe for authors and giving them greater opportunity to shake up the status quo.
>>
>>14231140
Nothing is worse than the mess that was Into Derpness
>>
>>14233374
I hate Insurrection because I hate "we are holier than thou" races that are never reprimanded by their actions

and I especially hate "muh nature" shit
>>
>>14231140
No, if we're including Abrams Trek then none of the movies featuring a TV cast qualify as being close to the worst.

>>14232301
Yeah, well a double dumbarse on you.
>>
>>14231140
It's the only Star Trek film that really fails to be endearing in any sense. Star Trek V was a steaming pile of shit but at least William Shatner understood the character relationships, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, for being a bad 2001: A Space Oddysey ripoff, at least never even tried to be hokey. Star Trek insurrection just has the absolute worst Trek synergy. It's almost astounding. All the actors have been working together for so long, and even bad TNG scripts have jokes that work (the scene in Sub Rosa where Crusher talks to Troi about how hot her grandma's diary is is somehow better), so how is this thing so fucking awkward?

For all the places the other TNG movies faltered, they could at least manage having a, if not good, interesting character situation. First Contact had the scene where he gets mad about the Borg (character assassination though it is), Data had the part where he said "Oh shit."

Insurrection was basically Jonathan Frakes almost doing a decent movie with First Contact and taking that as an excuse to write fanfiction with his character. The entire Troi romance stuff popping up again was weird, as was that whole thing with the beard.

Also fuck the space amish.
>>
>>14233499
Neither group sees their own flaws and is pushing 'perfection' on others.
>>
>>14232783
>. I mean look at 'I Borg', he was the last person to accept Hugh because of how he was influenced by his personal experience with the Borg.

This is the absolute dumbest way to state what happened in that episode to prove your point. You're saying "the last to accept", like you're ignoring what accepting actually meant.

First of all, even if he didn't have standing orders regarding opportunities to kill the Borg at that time, it's made very clear (especially when he is later given those exact same standing orders) that sending of the virus would absolutely be an act the Federation would approve of. So, when he decided to let Hugh go, he did so even despite knowing that the Federation would disagree with his decision.

Secondly, another factor, even separate from his professional duties, was just how fucking awful the Borg are. The Borg are indescribably grotesque in the way they view life and extinguish it without a second thought. They are nearly indisputably some of the absolute worst, irredeemable group of creatures the galaxy has to offer. Despite this Picard managed to see that, even as fucked up killing machines, their life had as much value as ours.

This is without even getting into the fact that they mind-raped Picard, forced him to murder coworkers, friends, civilians (rip Siskos wife), and nearly put the crime of the destruction of Humanity's home world on his shoulders. What they did to him is beyond unforgivable.

But Picard forgave them anyway. He gave them a chance to gain free will. He stuck to the principles of the Federation even more-so than the Federation would. He fought past the hell they had put him through to make a decision that wouldn't have been easy even without that specific experience. That's the type of man Picard is.

Then in First Contact he screams "WE'VE LET THEM GET FAR ENOUGH, WE END THIS NOW" and nearly kills the rest of his crew because of muh trauma.
>>
>>14232860
>so the comedy came across a lot better than "What does god need with a starship?".

Maybe because that wasn't a joke, you retard.
>>
>>14232951
>Nemesis is set right after the Dominion War, so it's post-DS9 era.
This is what disappoints me the most. We never saw what the Enterprise-D crew were up to during that massive conflict which involved the Feds, Klingson, AND Romulans to take on the Gamma Quadrant power.

Unlike a lot of people, I actually enjoyed Nemesis and wished we had seen the Remans get back at their Romulan overlords instead of Insurrection and the Shinzon plot.

I've even heard plausible theories that suggest the Remans caused the Hobus supernova to happen or at least downplay its significance until it was too late as a final act of vengeance.
>>
>>14233880
I'm well aware that it wasn't intentionally funny.
But it's hilariously bad.
>>
>>14233601
>I've seen people cry SJW on issues that had (some) merit to them
Like what?
>>
>>14233958
Something can't be HILARIOUSLY bad and also bad comedy.
>>
>>14233961
A recent case where people were calling out George Zimmerman for being a real American and selling his gun. I think it's distasteful and there are grounds for criticism, but I also think it's very SJW to bitch about it on the Internet and threaten him.
>>
>>14233979
This is a pretty stupid assumption.
>>
>>14233982
That has nothing to do with SJW. You're dumb.
>>
>>14233982
Get back in your cage Trayboon.
>>
So, am I the only guy who thinks that Search For Spock has some really great bits to it?

I mean, don't me wrong, it has fairly sizable flaws, but that scene where Kirk activates the self destruct on the Enterprize with that shrill scream of a soundtrack in the background and the momentary looks that Scotty and Chekhov give him as he starts it up is easily one of my favourite moments in the franchise.
>>
>>14234474

Then there's bits like at the end with the exchange between Surek and Kirk about what saving Spock has cost him.
Or Christopher Lloyd reminding us that he makes a good Mad Scientist, but a far better villain again.
Or a more in depth look at how the federation isn't all sweetness and light for a change.

God that film is decent and fuck that ancient "Even numbers trek films are good, odd numbered ones are trash" meme.
>>
>>14234474
Pretty sure SFS is a good movie, that its flaws are neglible when you come down right to it (barring the catharsis of Kirk's losses) and its only flaw was it's sandwiched by two better films.

Really, the "odd number film = bad" is more of a casual/non-Trek viewpoint.
>>
>>14233895
Berman and Braga wanted to keep the E exclusively for the movies.

>>14234474
That's because the Enterprise was by then another character, and the actors and writers knew how important destroying it was and treated that scene with respect and seriousness. By comparison, every other time an Enterprise is destroyed it doesn't matter too much because "there's many letters in the alphabet".
>>
>>14231140
But is it worse than Generations?
>>
>>14233275
Great taste, anon.
>>
>>14233246
>So how badly do you think the new Star Trek series is going to flop?

Shot in Toronto. Bad sign.

It's gonna take after the new movies. Bad sign x2.
>>
>>14233360

While I agree with you, if Gene was alive today he would be the biggest SJW in existence.
>>
>>14233824
>and Star Trek: The Motion Picture, for being a bad 2001: A Space Oddysey ripoff,

Plus you know. The movie is like the definition of NOTHING HAPPENS
>>
>>14235176
Star Trek literally started off as SJW: The show.
It went well out of it's way to get a cast listing that wouldn't fly on other shows in that era, the Earth depreciated in it, is above racism, sexism and other shit like that and they're constantly fighting enemies and not killing them
>>
>>14235193

I always loved how they deliberately made it so that Uhura was positioned directly behind Kirk so broadcasters in the south couldn't edit her out of shot.

There were also a hell of a lot of jewish actors in that show, during a period where that really wasn't done: Shatner, Nimoy and I think Konig (I think? I'm pretty sure his parents had to flee Russia because they were Othodox Jews) were all jewish.

Hell, casting a Japanese man less than 20 years after Pearl Harbour in a fronting role was hella ballsy as well.
>>
>>14235207
>I always loved how they deliberately made it so that Uhura was positioned directly behind Kirk so broadcasters in the south couldn't edit her out of shot.
I know it's the year 2016, but here I am surprised that they would actually pull off that sort of shit.
>>
>>14235207
>Hell, casting a Japanese man less than 20 years after Pearl Harbour in a fronting role was hella ballsy as well.

And more importantly like Takei said in his biopic, he wasn't a stereotype (instead he created his own). There was work for Asian actors in the 60s, but you had better be prepared to go full Breakfast at Tiffany's (yes I know that was Mickey Rooney, that's not the point).
>>
>>14235239
That's because it didn't. There's no evidence of any of the racism that came out of Roddenberry's hype machine, just stories.
Like today's versions of his kind he was a liar and a scan artist who used social issues for his own advancement.
Here's that fan who just decided to organise Save Star Trek just happening to work for Gene in one of his front companies http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Lincoln_Enterprises
>>
File: feminists.png (1MB, 628x896px) Image search: [Google]
feminists.png
1MB, 628x896px
>>14235193
>Star Trek literally started off as SJW: The show.
No it didn't. SJW refers to a specific form of whining 1st worlders who complain about muh oppression related to non-issues and end up usually being more oppressive than what they claim to be fighting against.

Star Trek always dealt with real social issues. No made up hug box non-issues.
>>
>>14233246
>>14233246
I hear we're getting The Red Uniform, so maybe excited?
>>
>>14235207
that's not SJW anon

seems like the word has been bended in 4chan that SJW = any form of decency
>>
>>14233875
He's the MASSIVE flaw in your argument, Picard never forgave the Borg. He only let Hugh go because he showed individualism, and because of that, Picard considered Hugh to be a sentient being and Star Fleet no longer had the moral right to use Hugh as a weapon against the Borg Collective. If Hugh regressed or agreed with Picard while he was pretending to be Locutus, he would have ordered the virus to be uploaded in a heartbeat. Rewatch the scene between Picard and Hugh for a refresher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRc8EyPoxOU

>>14235193
>>14235207
But this is wrong, because Roddenberry depicted real social problems through his show to create a subtle social commentary Or as >>14235370 alleges, just using it for money making schemes. SJWers only care about trivial issues that benefit only themselves (Either directly or through proxy since they claim to speak for the 'oppressed' group/individual.) Calling Star Trek a SJW show is like calling a third wave feminist, a first or second wave one. It's just illogical. A more apt example of SJW storyline would be students at Star Fleet Academy protesting against the class of Interspecies Ethics because they believe it gives humans privilege over other races, or students filing complaints against the instructor of Flight Control, because by being forced to sit in the cockpit of a shuttlecraft, they get 'triggered' by a bad experience when their parent yelled at them in the car when they were younger.
The other big thing is that each person was their own character and not a stereotype or token actor. They were just there as the crew. They weren't for the most part, trying to shove it down our throats that women or a minority are just as capable as men or whites. It's that non addressing of what people consider an issue that really makes Star Trek effective.
>>
>>14231140
Which is the one that shows off how dumb the Borg are you can literally bap them from behind without them realizing a fucking thing is going on?
>>
Another example being Extreme Ghostbusters, clear 90's diversity influenced cast, but since it was about the characters and their personality traits (very much in line with the original cast in the movies and how they were all flawed.) and not who they are as A gender/ethnic/social identity, the show worked out extremely well.

>>14235176
Based on his works, Roddenberry would probably attack SJWers because they inherently seek to be selfish and act divisively as opposed to work for the betterment of humanity. Which would run afoul with his Utopia.

>>14234645
>That's because the Enterprise was by then another character
This, it being destroyed lost some impact because Spock was killed in the previous Film (And that shot shockwaves through the fandom to say the least.) But it was still a major moment since even though it was the refit version, it was still THE Enterprise people grew up with.

>>14233636
First Contact and Wrath of Khan were influenced by Moby Dick and by extension, revenge played a major theme in both movies. While each movie had various sub themes as well, revenge was the encompassing theme for both. Both Khan and Picard were Ahab, wounded and slighted by a White Whale (Kirk and the Borg respectively) And they would never stop hunting it even if it cost them their lives. Khan in the end, killed himself in an effort to kill Kirk, while Lily managed to talk Picard down before he went over the brink by ordering a last stand on the Enterprise when more logical options were apparent. A good example of Picard being irrational is when Worf, the Klingon who's race is all about combat and honor goes 'we aren't going to win this battle, let's cut our losses so we don't lose anyone else on our side' And Picard calls him a coward who wants to run away. in just about any other context, that would be absurd.

>>14236034
When they were introduced them because they will ignore you until you have something they want or consider you a threat.
>>
>>14236034
I think that was First Contact

also has the pointless Borg Queen
>>
>>14236040
>Roddenberry would probably attack SJWers because they inherently seek to be selfish and act divisively as opposed to work for the betterment of humanity. Which would run afoul with his Utopia.
and they wouldn't put out for him
>>
>>14236040
Now to be fair, the 90's was a time rife with tokenism.

Progressive as it was, it was a goddamn cliche and you know it.

The 90's has ruined my ability to take a character in a wheelchair seriously.
>>
>>14236167
I'm still standing by what I said because the characters were written well and didn't let their identity dictate who they were. Okay, it's a hell of a lot harder to do that with Wheelchairs because of how invasive it is to the plot, but they still managed to handle it well since Garrent didn't define himself by the chair he was confined to. Being an adrenaline junkie though, I'll give you that.

Also a fun fact, the original version of Garret was a women who's main thing was to show women are just as capable as men, but the producers scrapped that and switched the genders.

>>14236163
And spread rumors that they want to make the next trek film be like police academy.
>>
SJWs are against everything Star Trek stands for. No one in the Federation thinks being fat is okay.
>>
>>14236239
I'm just saying it was tokenism at its finest.

I always thought the diversity was artificial, a product of people behind the scenes needing to hit a certain arbitrary mark on their checklist.

It's still better than it is nowadays, since at least those differences tended to integrate into some aspect of the narrative, yielding characters who happen to be X/Y/Z/etc rather than being defined entirely by that trait. Y'know, giving the character merit and treating them as -who- they are as opposed to treating them as -what- they are.

It's not like today where you get these limp-dicked implications that a character is some sort of, I dunno, genderfluid neuro-atypical individual that fails to play into the narrative in a convincing way but when people prod about it on the Twitter feeds the writer suddenly 100% comes out acting like they intentionally wrote the character that way and getting all self-congratulatory about how progressive their writing is when the reality is that they halfassed their story and let the audience's headcanon fill in the blanks.
>>
>>14236001
Man, that was a good episode.

Even if you don't agree that Picard forgave the Borg, that's not the main point of the argument. I'm saying that Picard has shown to be the type of person who, in every situation, will put his emotional side away to make the best choice possible. It's not necessarily even about the choice he ended up making, it's the fact that he managed to find a clear head and actually think about the morality about the situation despite every fiber in his body saying otherwise.

In First Contact he is absolutely ready to sacrifice every person on the ship just because of his vengeance-lust. TV show Picard wouldn't have made the same choice, especially considering he's kept his head under far worse circumstances.
>>
>>14234474
This is somewhat irrelevant, but did anyone else think the shot where Kirk's son died didn't look like a very good take? It just seemed pretty awkward.
>>
>>14236271
And as I was saying, they didn't bring attention to it being tokenism and focused on the characters themselves as opposed to just having them be the Mexican slacker, the nerdy black guy, the moody goth girl and the the crippled thrill seeker.

A better way to look at it is they were given a situation and managed to make it work instead of having the project be killed. I think we can all agree unless there is an act of God, the new Ghosterbusters movie is going to tank or barely break even because they're taking the exact opposite route the writers and producers of Extreme Ghostbusters took.

>>14236286
Picard was consistent in his character since again, the only reason he choose to spare Hugh was because he became an individual. If Hugh were regressed, Picard would have ordered the virus to be uploaded and dump off Hugh to be picked up by the Borg and go back to practicing his flute in the evening. You can't take any of Picards interactions with the Borg post assimilation in the TV series as a comparison with First contact since in both occasions, they were with anomalies with the Borg were cut off from the collective and acted as individuals. The moment the actual Borg showed up, all bets were off.

>especially considering he's kept his head under far worse circumstances.
I'd disagree with you there, outside of the Universe imploding on itself, this was one of the greatest threats he faced since not only did he have the Borg overrunning his ship, he was in the 21st century on the eve of the first warp speed flight test. So not only is his ship, life and crew at stake, but the past, present and future of the Federation and humanity. It's those circumstances and knowing how relentless the Borg are that drives his revenge and his actions to stop them to save the Federation and Humanity. It was only when he was made to realize it that he stepped back to take the better option.

He's only human after all
>>
it's like you people forgot about the episode where Picard had to make amends to a Native American planet because one of his ancestors took part in killing/driving away native americans
>>
>>14236347
White guilt is a stronger force than any in the universe.
>>
>>14236347
which is why Insurrection is crappy again
>>
File: 1334396623346.jpg (86KB, 684x684px) Image search: [Google]
1334396623346.jpg
86KB, 684x684px
The first movie was the worst because it had that transporter malfunction scene. As if wondering whether or not teleporting kills you and creates a copy of you wasn't bad enough. Fuck that shit, I'm never going to teleport even once in my life.
>>
File: 1416457108089.jpg (7KB, 251x171px) Image search: [Google]
1416457108089.jpg
7KB, 251x171px
>JJ trek is coming to Star Trek Online
>>
File: NOPE!.png (307KB, 648x450px) Image search: [Google]
NOPE!.png
307KB, 648x450px
>>14240507
forgot this
https://imgur.com/a/g1CSU
>>
>>14240518
>https://imgur.com/a/g1CSU
>>14240507
https://youtu.be/Xn-cYhGFidM?t=6s
>>
File: transporter-accident.png (164KB, 545x232px) Image search: [Google]
transporter-accident.png
164KB, 545x232px
>>14238078
To be fair, it killed the original and because the 10 billion safety measures failed and human error in allowing them to transport in the first place, it ended up killing the copies as well.
>>
File: 1383535430537.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1383535430537.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>>14240507
>>14240518
I don't whether to laugh or cry
>>
>>14240518
Is that seriously what the JJ Enterprise bridge looked like? Jesus Christ.
>>
>>14240844
Shiny ipod future would have been a thing back then if people had conceived of it back then.
>>
>>14236347
>say some platitudes
>everyone is happy
>the space-ghosts of vengeful Indians stop haunting your warp core
Seems like a win-win to me.
>>
>>14236040
>while Lily managed to talk Picard down before he went over the brink by ordering a last stand on the Enterprise when more logical options were apparent.

I JUST watched the movie 10 minutes ago, that's not what happens.

What saved Picard wasn't deciding to blow the ship to hell instead of fighting, it was deciding to risk his life not for revenge, but to save Data.
>>
>>14236241
Before Scotty proved everyone wrong I don't think people believed it was possible to even get fat in the Federation.
>>
>>14231140
You know the real travesty?

This shit got nominated for both a Hugo and a Saturn despite EVERYONE knowing it was crap, basically purely because it was a ST film.
>>
>>14242232
I thought it was because in the 90's everyone was into "connecting with nature" crap
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.