[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm curious what the Tokusatsu fans on this board thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

I'm curious what the Tokusatsu fans on this board thought of Turbo Kid.

Since it is, in essence an incredibly gory, American Toku movie.
>>
It's probably one the funnest movies I've seen in awhile. And surprisingly cozy.
>>
>>14222075
>American Toku
Dumbass fucking weeaboo
>>
>>14222075
the girl doesn't look like an 80s character at all
>>
>>14222075
Mediocre
>>
File: jem_apple.jpg (145KB, 1403x530px) Image search: [Google]
jem_apple.jpg
145KB, 1403x530px
>>14224066
>Robot girl's appearance is clearly modeled after Jem from Jem and the Holograms
>doesn't look like an 80s character at all

LOLWUT
>>
>>14222075
>American Toku

Top kek.

Do you even know what Tokusatsu means? It's not a genre, little embryo, and it's certainly not a complimentary term.
>>
>>14224469
>it's certainly not a complimentary term
Why's that?
>>
I liked it. Fun, fast-paced, and it feels like a reboot of an actual 80's property where a bunch of 14 year olds tried to make it more "mature". It's a celebration of excess, and it is good.
>>
>>14224518
Edgy for no point sums up 80s pretty succinctly desu
>>
>>14222075
Is it just me, or did this show strike anyone else as a pseudo-sequel to Captain Power?
>>
>>14224522
It started in the late 80's, but I associate it more with the early 90's personally.
>>
>>14224479
Feel free to ignore any post with "top kek" in it, I always do.

Never heard of this movie, will check it out.
>>
>>14224712
You should, but make sure you have a high tolerance for gore. The movie is pretty bloody, but the filmmakers exaggerate the bloodshed to the point that it's absurd, though some more squeamish viewers might find it upsetting.
>>
>>14222075

I liked it. I'm a sucker for '80s shit, though. There weren't any real pop-culture references outside common the common themes which is a nice change of pace when people make these kinds of works.
>>
>>14222075
I loved it, but I wouldn't call it American toku. It's a love letter to those direct to VHS movies from the 70s-90s that take place post apocalypse. The all synth soundtrack was great and the amount of gore is very reminiscent of early Peter Jackson. You can tell it was a passion project with a lot of love put into it.
>>
>>14222075
The grill was very, very, very qt. I did not like the gore at all though.
>>
>>14226032
>I loved it, but I wouldn't call it American toku.

I would say that it is. One of the influences for this show was definitely Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future which is very toku-esque.
>>
>>14222075
This movie was great, the cast was likable and the soundtrack was fantastic. I can sorta see where op is coming from.
>>
>>14222075
Really enjoyed it going in thinking it was going to be pretty meh. Loved the music, the exaggerated and tacky gore effects, the sounds effects and Michael Ironsides. Super comfy movie.
>>
I just watched the trailer I liked the gore but everything else looks like awful indie shit from a few years ago
>>
Wait, this is a gory movie? I thought it's just another kid movie from the title.
>>
File: Turbokid that was MY idea.webm (2MB, 1024x426px) Image search: [Google]
Turbokid that was MY idea.webm
2MB, 1024x426px
>>14226953

Oh it's very gory..
>>
>>14226998
Okay, that was pretty funny
>>
>Tokusatsu

In the western hemisphere, "Tokusatsu" is used to describe a specific genre (with all its tropes and design-elements). So if its not clearly a homage to Sentai, Rider, Ultraman or Godzilla... dont call it Tokusatsu.

But if you're in Japan, you are free to call everything special-effects heavy "Tokusatsu".
>>
>>14227237

'no'
>>
>>14227251
Did you read the new Metal Men manga? Much better than I thought it'd be desu
>>
File: hahaidiot.jpg (101KB, 954x652px) Image search: [Google]
hahaidiot.jpg
101KB, 954x652px
>>14227631
>>
>>14227631
Manga is a pretty dumb term (in English) desu. It doesn't even mean comics in Japanese.
>>
File: 1450766008462.png (647KB, 618x618px) Image search: [Google]
1450766008462.png
647KB, 618x618px
>all that gore

I got a good laugh. We need more movies that play up excess violence and blood for comedic effect.
>>
>>14222075
I liked it a lot, but couldn't get any of my toku pals to watch it. Shame.
>>
>>14222075
Not to be pedantic, but its actually a Canadian/New Zealand movie
>>
>>14222075
>non Japanese
>/m/
>non Japanese
>good
>>
>>14222075
I enjoyed the shit out of it, honestly. It knew exactly what it was and didn't try to be anything more. I've been enjoying this recent influx of neo-80's shit that started popping up out of nowhere.
>>
>>14227649
>Manga is a pretty dumb term (in English) desu. It doesn't even mean comics in Japanese.
What does it mean, then? Because Joseph Joestar did call his Superman comic a manga.
>>
>>14228732
>>
>>14228753
I see nothing there that contradict my post.

It does say the board is not for discussing these rules though, which is what you're starting.
>>
>>14227237
That's like saying something's not anime if it doesn't have ki blasts and improbable hair colors.
>>
>>14228787
No, that's like saying a cartoon is not anime if it's not from Japan. Which is correct.
>>
>>14228715
>Not to be pedantic, but its actually a Canadian/New Zealand movie
>Canada
>not part of America

I hate to break this to you, but Canada was, is and always will be located in North America.
>>
>>14228753
>thread no longer exists.

Is that even a thread from 4chan?
>>
>>14228847
No, saying special effects are not tokusatsu if they're not from Japan is correct. Saying it's not tokusatsu if it's not kaiju or henshin heroes is fucking retarded.
>>
>>14229989

In the east: tokusatsu is a terminology to describe special effects.
In the west: tokusatsu is a terminology to describe a specific genre originated in Japan.

Just because the japanese Wiki-article of The Flash describes the show as tokusatsu, you vanilla gaijin apes are not entitled to call it tokusatsu... its a superhero show (a DC comics show specifically).
>>
>>14224447
compare and contrast.
left is ugly and looks like a crazy Ukrainian whore who's going to shiv you and take your money, also her hair is flat

right is beautiful glamorous, kind-looking and has maximum floof.

They don't look like each other; one may be a parody of the other but it doesn't go further than the color scheme.
>>
>>14231002
>entitled
You should check your privileges m8
>>
I loved Turbo Kid and it made Kung-Fury, which I already didn't like, look even shitter by comparrison.

Made me think that somewhere out there in all the multiverses there is one where Michael Ironside was cast as Kingpin instead of Vincent D'Onofrio in a much more derpy version of Daredevil than we got. And you know what? it's OK.
>>
>>14228739
>Well, nothing really. Using the word “manga” to describe Japanese comics is entirely an American invention. The term isn’t used in Japan, not with such a limited definition. In Japanese, the word literally means “frivolous pictures” and can be applied to pretty much anything. My wife is Japanese, and she refers equally to all my comic bookery as “manga.” Spider-Man? Manga. Walking Dead? Manga. When I pop in the latest DC Universe animated DVD, I am “watching manga.” My awesome collection of 1940’s Captain Marvel memorabilia? That’s right. Manga.
>>
>>14231386
I already knew that, and it's not what they guy I replied to was saying. He claimed that manga "doesn't even mean comics in Japanese".
>>
>>14231462
>manga "doesn't even mean comics in Japanese".
>In Japanese, the word literally means “frivolous pictures” and can be applied to pretty much anything.
He might've meant it's not a term that's exclusively used to refer a specific thing like comics is in English.
>>
>>14231002
Nor should anyone in the west claim that The Flash is tokusatsu, since it's not Japanese.

However, tokusatsu is still not a genre, it's a medium. War movies, disaster films, ninja movies, space operas, etc will generally still be tokusatsu if they're Japanese, even if they're not about Ultra Sentai Godzillaider. Sure, some people say differently in the west, but those people are stupid and wrong.
>>
>>14232665
>tokusatsu is still not a genre, it's a medium
But that's wrong you fucking idiot.

Television is the medium in which toku is presented. Toku itself, by following a specific set of "rules" and "must-haves" creates sort of a contract between the audience and the network. The content is created, according to what the audience (children ~6-11) wants, and at the same time the network shapes what the audience wants. That's what a genre entails.
>>
>>14232665
>tokusatsu is still not a genre, it's a medium.
When using it in an english speaking context it is.
Genres are broad subjects share similar key elements. The toku genre as the west would describe it is anything with a focus on special effects originating from the east. Think of this like a foreign film category, which encompasses a wide variety of movies with the defining similarity that they are 'foreign'.
Toku would be considered a genre of Japanese TV and movies, even within Japan for these very same reasons. As >>14232770 points out the medium is TV. A loose equivalent for the west would be a something like a summer blockbuster, expensive flicks that often rely heavily on special effects.
>>
>>14232770

Television is a venue, and so are movie theaters. They tell stories, and those stories can be told through multiple media, e.g. tokusatsu, anime, stage production, rakugo routine, whatever.

Tokusatsu is no more a genre than anime or manga are; there is no one audience for toku. The constant insistence that the only Kamen Rider and the ilk qualify as tokusatsu is myopic and ill-informed; special effects get used for lots of different genres.

Your description of "content is created according to what the audience wants" applies to literally every form of commercial artistic expression, so I don't know what you're on about there.
>>
I liked it a lot, way better than that Kung Fury piece of shit.
>>
>>14231073
Watch the australian series Danger 5. It's fantastic and it will make Kung-Fury look even worse, especially because Kung-Fury stole jokes from Danger 5, but poorly.
>>
>>14231008
>left is ugly and looks like a crazy Ukrainian whore who's going to shiv you and take your money, also her hair is flat
well the movie is set in gritty and grim world but i can understand your point
>>
>>14226998
that's some cool special effects
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.