[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I liked SAC, is Arise worth watching too or will I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

I liked SAC, is Arise worth watching too or will I just be disappointed?
>>
File: Just fuck my franchise up fam.jpg (225KB, 464x386px) Image search: [Google]
Just fuck my franchise up fam.jpg
225KB, 464x386px
>>14219811
If you don't see anything wrong with the picture you just posted, you probably won't be disappointed.
Be aware though that the Major, on top of looking creepy, has an unsettling backstory (I mean more than in SAC) and tends to fuck things up.
>>
File: Arise.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Arise.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>14219811
Yes!

Watch in this order.
OVA 4
OVA 1
OVA 2
OVA 3
AAA (the tv series) Eps. 9 & 10
The New Movie

This is the order of the television rebroadcast, and it's very, very good.

Character design sucks eggs.

It also shows a whole lot more than it tells. The major issue with the show is the Major's major not-cuteness.
However she is the best, in my view, animated version of her character.

One of the overall themes is memeory manipulation and that viewing order viewing order, which is essentially official, is great at accenting that mood. There's good techno-jargon, but it doesn't get bogged down by it.

You could also just watch the Alt. Architecture airing if the other seems too involved. There's just a few non-critical animation/scenes cut out.

Actually watch it, and I'm certain you'll like it.

It's not a sequel/prequel etc. either, but it does ape a few scenes for muh nostalgic references.
>>
>>14219843
Yes, the series is clearly meant to be a prequel to the Oshii movies, but it does manange to humanize the Mokoto-character of those.
>>
File: Incredible math.webm (3MB, 720x390px) Image search: [Google]
Incredible math.webm
3MB, 720x390px
>>14219870
No, the skyscraper assassination sequence is distinctly different.

The victim of Arise Motoko's summary execution is distinctly different from the one in GitS '95.

Furthermore, Arise also rips off the scene from SSS with the cherry orchard, so it must be a prequel to S.A.C. as well. Which it, of course, isn't
>>
File: Is she really human.webm (3MB, 722x406px) Image search: [Google]
Is she really human.webm
3MB, 722x406px
>>14219870
>>14219884
And from Arise.

Note the eyes.
>>
>>14219811
Arise is different, but well worth watching.
This guy >>14219867 has the measure of it, although I find that Arise tells more than shows, personally.
>>
You should also read the Arise- Sleepless Eye manga.
>>
>>14219811
Arise starts poorly but does improve. Episodes 9 & 10 and the movie are pretty good.
>>
it's all babble and no aesthetics
much like SAC.
>>
>>14219870
>the series is clearly meant to be a prequel to the Oshii movies
This is not something that is even worth thinking about.
>>
>>14219918
I thought the information superhighway episode was moderately a e s t h e t i c
>>
I enjoyed it a great deal. The new movie was a lot of fun
>>
File: 17336530_p0[1].jpg (347KB, 1024x689px) Image search: [Google]
17336530_p0[1].jpg
347KB, 1024x689px
>>14219811

As another SAC/2ndGIG fan, I'd say give it a try.

Given that it got a reissue OVA, at least some disappointment is probably to be expected. It does feel like it has more in common with the Oshii film than either the manga or the TV series, and the Major's pre-Section 9 career might interest you (you'll pretty much know in the first episode whether you like it or not).

And if not, hey, at least you gave it a chance. The character designs, particularly for the Major, Saito, and Aramaki are pretty big misses in my mind.
>>
>>14220352
>Given that it got a reissue OVA
Wait what?
>>
>>14220379

Sorry, I meant Alternative Architecture--which was a TV series, not an OVA, despite the weird ten-episode length, with the addition of the 'Pyrophoric Cult' arc.
>>
>>14220400
Oh, yeah.

Personally, I think the Alternative Architecture thing made the series much better.
>>
File: Major FRANK copy.png (1MB, 577x2246px) Image search: [Google]
Major FRANK copy.png
1MB, 577x2246px
>>14219811
Arise swings back and forth between average and shit.
As someone who's liked almost every incarnation of GitS up to ARISE, I can say that it's probably the blandest one. And because of that it might actually be the worst.

Any time that GitS tries to focus on the Major's backstory, the franchise takes a nosedive in quality. This is why 2nd gig, while still overall a good series, is weaker in comparison to it's predecessors. There's not suppose to be any 'big reveals' in the Major's backstory, and unfortunately this is what ARISE devotes most of its time to with lazy characterisation.
The Major starts out incompetent, this is fine with the backstory angle they're going for. But she stays like that until The New Movie where's she's suddenly great (but still gets her ass kicked in the end). There's no gradual character development, and revelations about the character are brought up and then dropped at a moment's notice.

ARISE is not the worst thing in the world, and it's stupidly easy to fall into the trap of thinking that it's good if you just look at the surface elements. If you see GiTS as a checklist of cyberpunk cliches then you won't understand why ARISE is terrible. But once you dig deeper, and start to think about the story structure and character arcs, then ARISE reveals itself for what it really is.

Absolute shit.
>>
>>14220430
>The Major starts out incompetent
But she doesn't.

And you won't back up your claim.
>>
>>14220436
>Easily hacked into for most of the first OVA
>completely unaware that she's manipulated until the end
>ass pounded by purple dreadlocks
It's fine if they actually built on this, because this is a different angle on the Major then we've seen before. But they don't, she just stays that way getting led astray by pretty men, or gynoids until the movie happens.

Also
>you won't back up your claim
fuck off if you don't actually want a discussion.
>>
>>14220452

they did build on it. the whole plot about the first OVA was about it.
>>
>>14220452
>>Easily hacked into for most of the first OVA
>>completely unaware that she's manipulated until the end
She's literally infected with a bug that fucks her shit up specifically so she won't notice.
>>ass pounded by purple dreadlocks
He's got shinier parts than her. What? Would it have been better if she beat him up immediately?

>fuck off if you don't actually want a discussion.
I'd like a discussion, but only with people that actually know what they're talking about.
>>
>>14220466
Again, all that would be fine if they actually had her advance over the course of the OVA.
I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have happened, I'm sayin she's was intentionally incompetent from the start, which apparently one anon doesn't think so.

SAC major would have noticed that shit, but that's because SAC major is literally flawless. It's not a bad thing to do something different, but when the character just stays the same until magically she's much better by the end of the series, then that's just sloppy.

>but only with people that actually know what they're talking about.
Then you're going to need a different thread, because people that like ARISE are brain dead idiots that are just wowed by pretty colors and a terribly cliched cyberpunk aesthetic even for GitS.
>>
>>14219886
>same scene but animated 10 years later
>somehow manages to look worse
How?
>>
>>14220483
She builds a team and gits gud with them.

>until magically she's much better
Or rather when she's finally purged the virus.

>It's not a bad thing to do something different, but when the character just stays the same
Right, S.A.C. Major is certainly not an example of stagnation.
>>
>>14220500
>She builds a team and gits gud with them.
This was one of my major problems. Her team is mostly window dressing. They're there because it's on the show's checklist of GitS things. I never felt like the Major had any strong connection to any of them in ARISE, unlike in SAC where some got their own dedicated episodes. Section 9 feels like it's just there to be there, because the OVA is more concerned with the Major instead. My favorite moments in ARISE were scenes showing the down time that Section 9 got, but those were few and far between. There was never any 'gitin gud' with them. No early squabbles of teammates getting used to each other, or learning to work with each other. Once they join up the the major they just become NPC in a shooter.
>Or rather when she's finally purged the virus.
No, I'm not just talking about the first OVA. I'm talking about her progression across the whole series. Which really just involves her getting saved by Batou most of the time, or letting the enemy get away.
>Right, S.A.C. Major is certainly not an example of stagnation.
But see SAC isn't about the Major, so the lack of a character arc isn't that big a problem when the focus is on Section 9 in general.
>>
File: man_of_destiny.gif (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
man_of_destiny.gif
2MB, 1280x960px
>>14220497
>muh shading
Also hand painted cells tend to look better, imo
>>
>>14220529
The animation in that movie was really weird.
It didn't feel like movie animation, it TV show quality.
>>
File: pancakes.jpg (18KB, 598x400px) Image search: [Google]
pancakes.jpg
18KB, 598x400px
>>14219884
But why did she need to be nude? Why does a cyborg body need nipples? Why did the guy exploded? Why does Batou always look like Steven Seagal? Why do elderly pancakes crystallize?
>>
>>14220518
>SAC isn't about the Major,
I cannot greentext hard enough.
>>
>>14220549
The optic camo suit is just a nude colored suit, not actually nude. You can see this during the brain tank battle.
>>
>>14220549
I've been seeing this screenshot for years but I still wonder how could someone think that dialogue was perfectly fine.
>>
>>14220551
First season really isn't. She isn't the center of most of the Stand Alone episodes, and the Complexe episodes are centered on the Laughing Man.

2nd Gig, for better or for worse, goes for the backstory thing, which was kinda weak.

But by all means, continue to meme arrow instead of actually thinking.
>>
>>14220549
>I'm gonna snatch every motherfucker pancake.

Also, you're a tard, she's wearing a skintight layer. As for nipples, I dunno, titillation?
>>14220518
>But see SAC isn't about the Major
What the fuck?
>>
File: Motoko wanna ss.gif (2MB, 586x320px) Image search: [Google]
Motoko wanna ss.gif
2MB, 586x320px
>>14220560
>As for nipples, I dunno, titillation?
Is that a pun?
>>
>>14220567
>Is that a pun?
Yeee
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.