[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, whoa whoa hold up, /m/. I recently got into Gundam, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: NONSTOP COLONY DROP.jpg (334KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NONSTOP COLONY DROP.jpg
334KB, 1920x1080px
Okay, whoa whoa hold up, /m/.
I recently got into Gundam, and a thought just occurred to me: If a colony is about 36 km long, how does a colony drop not fuck the Earth to high hell? In comparison, the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs was only about 6 km long.
I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on the giant robots and newtype fuckery, but an object as large as a colony hitting the earth and not causing a total gaian collapse? That's bullshit.
>>
>>14189483
>36 km long, how does a colony drop not fuck the Earth to high hell? In comparison, the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs was only about 6 km long.
It probably weighs less than the asteroid
>>
>>14189483
Colonies are mostly hollow and generally a lot less dense than a shitton of solid rock
Also likely traveling slower too
>>
>>14189485
>>14189488
This
length=/=mass
>>
>>14189488
Came here to say this.
>>
A colony drop wouldn't fuck up the earth, but I still don't really understand how they planned to aim it at a specific place, and if they could, how they fucked up.

Also I'm not sure how Operation British left a hole in the earth but the Dublin drop just left a colony sitting there for a while, and I'm also unsure how Kamille could stand somewhere and watch it happen from the ground.

But I guess that can be answered with
>double zeta
>>
>>14189483

Also colonies were deorbited from Earth's orbit, not an asteriod speeding around the sun and slammed into earth.
>>
>>14189483
>asteroid that killed the dinosaurs was only about 6 km long
What.

The only thing that matters is mass, not volume.
>>
>>14189483
Also, what fell on Sydney was just the front part of the colony. Everything else burnt on reentry or fell somewhere else.
>>
>>14189599
And speed. Like already mentioned that asteroid was basically a bullet coming straight on and was only slowed down in the end by the Earth's atmosphere.
>>
>>14189530
In Operation British the Colony was damaged from the Feddies trying to stop the drop. They managed to divert it from hitting Jaburo, but when it hit Sydney the reactors that were powering the Colony exploded, and the explosion created the creator.

The Dublin Colony drop was less destructive because the Colony wasn't as damaged when it impacted and so didn't explode.

I always wondered how much of the city got rekt, and what happened to it afterwards, because I live in Dublin and it's really rare for the Japs to even acknowledge Ireland exists, never mind Gundam doing it multiple times..
>>
>>14189621
>I live in Dublin
Hello neighbor
>>
>>14189483
Look at the speed it moves at when they animate it.
It's a long hollow tube moving quite slowly, it's not dense and it didn't have a ton of velocity. Don't get me wrong, it'd still probably cause a bit mlre damage than what we see onscreen, but the Australian drop DID manage to carve out a sizeable chunk of Australia and turn it into ocean.
>>
>>14189744
>but the Australian drop DID manage to carve out a sizeable chunk of Australia and turn it into ocean.
For real, everything surrounding Sydney that wasn't an underwater crater was nuked into desolate wasteland for miles.
>>
>>14189824
And thus we had Mad Max.
>>
>>14189824
That's because of the minovsky fusion reactor exploding for some reason. A good deal of Australia is covered in heavy minovsky pollution according to side material
>>
>>14189824
Lmao get fucked Melbourne.
>>
>>14189599
Getting there; let's bring it all together. The issue at stake is energy transfer, not mass. If an object is big but has no kinetic or potential energy to impart to its target, it's actually pretty safe. So we're kind of all dancing around the idea that it's a combination of larger but hollow + very low relative velocity deorbiting earth vs. gravity slingshotting around the sun into earth.
>>
>>14189959
True, I forgot to mention it. A colony would fell part at a certain velocity by the way. Even solid space bodies do.
>>
>>14189824
Are there any sources of how big the sydney crater was?
>>
>>14189483
If bullets can kill people, why don't balloons? They're way bigger.
>>
File: 1455122846489.jpg (53KB, 480x480px)
1455122846489.jpg
53KB, 480x480px
>>14190195
>>
>>14190195
I wonder how much damage a balloon would do if you got it to bullet speeds at a person
>>
>>14190160
According to 0083, its about 500 km wide. I also looked up the size of the crater caused by the asteroid that's thought to have wiped out the dinosaurs, and it's less than half the size at 180km in diameter.
>>
>>14189857
Wait, does Minovsky pollute? Isn't it supposed to be clean?
>>
>>14190380
At high enough densities it can even obstruct light and reduce visibility. And it's said to apply a constant electrical charge which can destroy electronics, so electronics in UC are all suitably shielded. Sounds pretty bad to me.
>>
>>14190380
Minovski particles have been shown to remain in the battlefield for over fifty years and we don't even know how long until it gets out of the water and air systems of colonies!
So buy these filters I'm selling.
>>
>>14190457

Ok.
>>
>>14189483
Holy shit stop being such a nerd before I give you a swirly.
>>
>>14190308
Probably wouldn't break the skin, but would cause a nasty bruise at the least. That's due to the increased surface area of the impact, the lower mass (?), and the fact that the balloon will itself absorb some of the impact. Flying bits of the balloon might pose a danger to your eyes when it ruptures and exploded on impact.

I should have paid more attention in physics.
>>
>>14190431
I can consider that as pollution. Although the effects aren't as bad and dramatic as Kojima Particles in AC4/FA.
Now that's Minovsky Particles: Grimdark Edition.
>>
>>14191184
Kojima particles are literally lethal doses of radiation and they never stopped to think "hey let's stop using these and look for an alternative". No, they probably thought of it and disregarded it. The genocide path is the only right path.
>>
>>14189483
>If a colony is about 36 km long, how does a colony drop not fuck the Earth to high hell?

Lower velocity, lower mass, and land impact.

A sea impact would have ruined fucking everything on a much larger scale than the land impacts did.
>>
>>14189483
It is also worth mentioning that a full colony did not strike Sydney. The colony was broken up as it entered Earth's atmosphere by being attack/nuked by the EFF and it knocked it off it's trajectory, causing it to break up as it circled the earth as it descended, dumping debris all over (Which fucked up a lot of areas around the world) and it's the largest remaining section that hit Sydney (Which IIRC was like 1/3 of the colony).
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.