[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between exosuits and mechas? Is there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: sgett.jpg (10KB, 245x229px) Image search: [Google]
sgett.jpg
10KB, 245x229px
What's the difference between exosuits and mechas? Is there a definitive line, a threshold between the two? Is one a subset of the other? I'm stupid and don't understand.
>>
Mecha, in the most liberal sense, constitutes anything mechanical.

Mecha generally refers to piloted large sized robots, though what constitutes "large" can vary wildly.

An exosuit can certainly be considered mecha, but it does have a more specific term.
I guess the difference between a "traditional" mecha and an exosuit is that one is piloted while the other is worn.

It's kinda one of those squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares are square.

Lastly, a general rule, Toku is not /m/.
>>
>>14182758
Anything that you would rather use the term wear instead of pilot leans more towards an exosuit.
>>
>>14182758

Here is generally where the threshold is:

If I cut off the leg or arm of the machine, did I severe your limb too in the process? If so, its an exosuit because its really just powered armor that you are wearing.

If not, chances are good that its a mecha because you are piloting it come a dedicated control area that is somewhere in the mech, usually the chest or head.
>>
>>14185451
Ayy
>>
>>14182758
Why do doggos get so nervous when you put shit on their heads?
>>
>>14182758

I'm a fan of the power armor/exo-suit. They just make more sense than a giant bipedal robot.
>>
>>14185575
Nobody asked, but good for you, realisticuck.
>>
all exosuits are mecha but not all mecha are exosuits
>>
>>14185575
>he says while posting on the giant robot board
>he says whilst writing about something that is-still- 99% fiction

Why are you even here?
>>
File: what.png (72KB, 495x398px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
72KB, 495x398px
>>14185594
>giant robot board

You have a very narrow view was constitutes as mecha.
>>
>>14185598
True, but giant robots are usually the first thing to come to mind when one mentions mecha.
>>
File: Fries.png (52KB, 198x227px) Image search: [Google]
Fries.png
52KB, 198x227px
>>14185598
Oh, I don't know, I just think that usually, giant robots are what's talked about quite often.
It also doesn't change that "realistic" is the absolute silliest thing that you can think of when it comes to this sort of thing.

You can put emphasis on it if you want but it's all entertainment, and that's well and good.
>>
>>14182869
>Toku is not /m/
Irrelevant to the question, but thanks for your opinion, anon.
>>
>>14185614
>a general rule
It's not an opinion.
>>
File: DSCF1409.jpg (4MB, 3296x2472px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1409.jpg
4MB, 3296x2472px
>>14182758

"Mecha" is a mass noun; it has no singular form. Same deal as "machinery" or "equipment."

The singular is "mech." The plural of "mech" is "mechs."
>>
>>@14185633
This is bait, children. Do not devalue your (You)s by replying.
>>
>>14185633
Pok

>>14185652
Ayy
>>
>>14185652
Yeah I figured. It's too bad, now I'll have to add more (you)s on my 4chan Gold account.

Easy enough to find the pasta too.

- - - - -
>mech
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as a Mech, is in fact, メカニカル, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Mecha. Mecha is not a genre unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning concept made manifest by the existence of vehicles, military equipment and of course, robots, comprising a full concept as defined by MAHQ.

Many posters use a modified definition of the メカニカル term every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of メカニカル which is widely used today is often called Mech, and many of its posters are not aware that it is basically the Robotech term, developed by Harmony Gold.
So unless discussing Robotech or Battletech, please refer to giant robots as "Mecha" and remember to lurk before posting to get used to board culture and knowledge on the subject that is unknown to you.
>>
>>14185666
Nice Satan
>>
>>14185666
I'm very proud of that, Satan. I'm still a little surprised none of the Robotech fags have sperged out about the fact that, at least to the best of my knowledge, Robotech doesn't even use the term "mech"

Have a courtesy (You)
>>
>>14185623
I don't see that on the rules page. :^)
>>
File: MechWarrior_3_Coverart.png (163KB, 252x305px) Image search: [Google]
MechWarrior_3_Coverart.png
163KB, 252x305px
>>14185666
>Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of メカニカル which is widely used today is often called Mech, and many of its posters are not aware that it is basically the Robotech term, developed by Harmony Gold.

Wrong. Comes from Battletech, who giant robots are called Battlemechs, or just Mechs. (Nowadays its Mechwarrior games are better known.) So we have FASA to blame, not Harmony Gold.
>>
>>14185818
It's pasta yo. Copypasta!
Don't worry about it.
>>
>>14185818
See >>14185677
I put that line in there specifically to troll Robotechfags, and am well aware of Battletech.

It's an extra layer of irony
>>
>>14182869
>squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares are square
>>
>>14182758
Exosuits and power armor are worn, Mechs are driven.

That's really the only distinction.
>>
Saints Row IV had a conversation about this exact subject. Kinzie believed it couldn't be called a robot if somebody is inside of it, controlling its actions.
>>
>>14186678
Best slut.
She's wrong though. Robots aren't exclusively autonomous.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.