[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i come here wondering whats the difference between the gundams

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 1439173207185.jpg (657KB, 1250x750px) Image search: [Google]
1439173207185.jpg
657KB, 1250x750px
i come here wondering whats the difference between the gundams and the vf-25 or just the macross units (besides the transformation part). and do both mechas practical use for them in combat? and there somebody who wrote why gundams would not work but i cant find it and if you know where i can find it that would be great
>>
>>14175116
Alright, translate it weebs
>>
shit can no one explain it
>>
Maybe you should explain what you actually wrote first.
>>
>>14175162
We can't fucking read what you wrote
>>
File: 1456971346869.jpg (37KB, 266x289px) Image search: [Google]
1456971346869.jpg
37KB, 266x289px
>>14175116
>>
>>14175171
From what I could understand it look like op is wondering what the difference between gundam and macross units are and what's the probability of them being used in combat with all the machinery that could go wrong and about some paper saying that gundam would never work
>>
>>14175179
funny as i thought about or funny as in there the same
>>
>>14175116
>I came here wondering what is the difference between gundams and vf-25 or just the macross units (besides the transformation feature).

>Do both of these mechs i.e. gundam and macross have any practical application in real life combat?

>Someone had detailed why Gundams would not work in real life(most probably some post on /m/ or blog) which I cannot find at this moment.I would express my gratitude if you tell me where I can find it or link it to me/ It would be great if someone tells me where to find it or directly link it to me.

FTFY
>>
>>14175298
thank you kind sir
>>
Mobile Suits only exist in the setting because of a bullshit particle that conveniently makes everything else useless, and even then half of them feature shit that's completely pointless beyond looking cool.

Macross units literally only work due to alien overtechnology. I guess they would be practical, but only in the sense of "these things are so beyond anything we have in the present that we may as well use them instead".

Which, you know, is exactly what happened in Macross.
>>
>>14175298
Then why the Scopedog picture?
>>
>>14175335
I don't know. Ask OP.
>>
File: 1461404794968.jpg (258KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1461404794968.jpg
258KB, 1440x1080px
>>14175116
>besides the transformation part
OP do you think this is a gundam or a VF?
>>
>>14175116
Mecha would never work in real life. Bipeds are heavy, slow, fragile, and provide no real advantage over a treaded or wheeled combat vehicle.

Mobile suits only "work" because the Universal Century setting was built around having an excuse for "realistic" mecha. This was done by introducing a the fictional Minovsky Particle, which not only simplifies fusion (allowing for fusion-powered mobile suits), but also jams electromagnetic signals and damages electronics. These particles could then be dispersed in a battlefield to make long-range combat between ships impossible--missiles and their guidance systems would be rendered useless by the dispersed particles.
The solution to this was to rely on minovsky-hardened, close-range fighters--mobile suits. That still doesn't explain why mobile suits have legs--kicking attacks are hardly effective unless you're Char. In universe, they're just passed off as part of a balancing system for shifting the MS's mass around to make turns, even though a gyroscope would be better.
>>
>>14176411
Macross has a practical explanation too: Humanity comes into contact with an abandoned alien warship designed to be operated by 40-foot-tall humanoids. So they build 40-foot-tall robots. That also happen to transform into airplanes because why the fuck not.
>>
>>14176448
Anon,I don't think coming into contact with alien warship from outer space sounds practical.
>>
>>14177109
If you came to believe that you might end up having to fight 40-foot-tall beings, wouldn't YOU build 40-foot-tall robots?
>>
File: 1300674327962[1].gif (87KB, 729x800px) Image search: [Google]
1300674327962[1].gif
87KB, 729x800px
>>14177120
The VF-1 designers had incredible foresight.
>>
File: dapper zentra.jpg (47KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
dapper zentra.jpg
47KB, 640x427px
>>14177130
No one could have foreseen Max Jenius.
>>
>>14175116
Gundams are robots first and foremost. They sometime possess ability to fly unassisted and some are capable of transformation. Vety few, namely Zeta and Delta family actually embrace this enough for wave rider mode to be called a plane.
Valks are planes and robots t the same time. They were designed to be capable of fighting in any enviroment, eighter human forces or predicted giant humanoids.
Valks are, when compared with UC mecha, vastly superior - more thrust, stronger reactors, energy shields as standards and aftrt Supernova, shinning finger punches. But their design cheats by using alien overtechnology.
Now, if we compare rx-78 with vf-0, things aren't as unbalanced as above. Comparable firepower, Gundam can tank more hits while Phoenix can maneuver in 3d space freely.

Now, if we compare, say, 00 verse with Delta..
>>
>>14177324
The average VF is more powerful than the average Gundam, but the top end of the scale skews sharply towards Gundam because of supermachines like Quan[t], Unicorn, and especially Devil.
>>
>>14177399

I'm not really sure that's true in at least the case of the Qan[t] given that by Frontier the VF-25, VF-27 or YF-29 can equip MDE's capable of destroying planets as standard equipment, and the VF-27 and and YF-29 can equip guns capable of rending space itself.
>>
>>14177423
I thought the MDE ammo just works on the same principle as the one that destroyed Gallia 4, not that it worked on the same scale.

And didn't they say that even the vajra would be immune to the VF-27's quantum weapons sooner or later?
>>
>>14177463

It might not work on the same scale as standard (it'd make sense now that you mention it), but if it works via the same principle (black hole weaponry) then the Qan[t] is fucked regardless. And yea, the Vajra were going to be immune eventually, but that's because the Vajra are just weird/tough like that, not because the weapon itself becomes less effective eventually or anything.

Keep in mind by Frontier you're looking at VFs that can leave atmosphere by default, fold with a small attachment, shunt gravity to alternate dimensions to pull off extreme maneuvering, equip nukes if wanted and have pin point barriers all over. The only thing the Qan[t] has that it can't really replicate in some fashion is quantum burst. Even quatum teleportation, it's most widely discussed ability is analogous to fold technology.
>>
>>14176411
>That still doesn't explain why mobile suits have legs
Ground operations yo, fly around in space and walk around on land.

It's also handy for rough terrain, ever see how shitty the guntank was in every situation? Regular tanks were deadly as they should be, but having legs and powerful jumpjets/thrusters allow for ridiculous mobility.
>>
>>14177120
But that's what the entire genre is about,hardly anything unique or practical .
>>
I never watched any Gundam - are the Gundams actually relatively tame in power-level like the posts in this thread suggest? For some reason I had the impression that Gundams were all incredibly overpowered mechs like what I saw in all the other Sunrise shows.
>>
>>14176411
>That still doesn't explain why mobile suits have legs--kicking attacks are hardly effective unless you're Char

Nigga have you seen V Gundam? They go around kicking the shit out of each other

every other episde someone gets their head kicked off
>>
>>14177130
>>14177130

the notion that a battroid has enough fine motor control to put on that uniform is what's really amazing
>>
>>14179766
Depends on the series. Watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam. People like it for a reason.
>>
>>14176411
For land use on colonies, asteroids, earth, and the moon.
>>
>>14179766
depends on the show

>>14179792
also legs tend to mount maneuvering thrusters
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.