[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Five Star Stories the closest mecha has to offer as an art?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: 1243210253719.jpg (196KB, 1474x950px) Image search: [Google]
1243210253719.jpg
196KB, 1474x950px
Is Five Star Stories the closest mecha has to offer as an art? The avant garde styling of both the characters and the Mortar Headds seems to be something that the mechanical designers and character designers of today seem to avoid entirely.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a case of FSS being something of a pinnacle in both Japanese art and Japanese story telling. The themes of post-humanism as well as strength through vanity seem so common and reoccurrent that I can't help but see it as a, not only a classic piece of mecha history, but as a piece of art to the world.

Why is it that NOTHING has come close to matching the quality of FSS's art and story telling? Is the mediocrity of today's Japanese artist because of their blatant lack of skill, or is Nagano just among the greatest storytellers of the world?
>>
Saved.

Gonna post this in Bones threads.
>>
>>14163453
What's this pasta from/based on?
>>
>>14163478
>>14163460

I don't understand what the problem is.
At the end of the day, anime and manga are an art, so what is ultimately wrong with considering one of those to be of a higher-quality than the norm?
>>
>>14163497
FSS isn't better than the norm. In fact it's worse.

LMDAO here
>>
>>14163531
Burden of proof is on you, troll
>>
>>14163497
Wait, this seriously isn't a pasta based off of something else?
>>
>>14163453
Getter Robo Armageddon is the closest mecha has come to art, because they cut a bunch of planets in half with a huge glowing tomahawk at the end, and that's cool.
>>
>>14163537
>Burden of proof is on you, troll
Are we in a court of law?

https://www.4chan.org/rules
Tell me where there's a rule saying burden of proof is on the accuser here?

I'll wait.
>>
>>14163558
Basic rule of arguing, otherwise your post has no weight. Although it doesn't count when the information is easily accessible, in which case just fucking google it.
>>
>>14163570
You're the troll here, troll. Only trolls make threads saying
>WHY IS [MEDIOCRE THING] THIS BEST THING EVER AND EVERYTHING ELSE SHIT? I'M TOTALLY NOT FISHING FOR REPLIES!
>>
>>14163570
Considering that the OP has no weight since it's comprised almost entirely out of buzzwords that a /lit/cuck would use, I'm certain he doesn't need to put much of any effort into a response.
>>
>>14163558

Not him, but the burden of proof isn't simply a legal term. It's used in philosophical debates and scientific circles too. It's a rather universal idea and pretty central to argument of any kind since it gives a common ground that can be used to "win" said argument. You don't need to prove an opinion if that's all you're stating, but saying something is worse than the norm like that doesn't really come off as an opinion.
>>
>>14163570
Well, I'm not in PHIL 1001 right now, I'm on a Chinese webcomic exaltation forum and I'm calling you out on your shit in an off-handed and lazy manner. I don't care to determine first principles on what determines "normalcy" nor did I ever agree to it when I started using this site.

Also, this assumes that I subscribe to your philosophical world-view that burden of proof is inherent to making a claim.

Still waiting for you to prove that I have to provide BOP as prescribed by the site rules.
>>
>>14163570
>Basic rule of arguing, otherwise your post has no weight.
This is 4chan. Nothing here has weight.
>>
>>14163453
Five Star Stories is a terrible manga from basically every perspective: paneling, story, characterization, world building, pacing, clarity, backgrounds, character art, screentoning, lettering... the whole shebang. Literally the only thing going for it is the mecha designs. I mean hell, it even has a mary sue self-insert MC. It's fucking terrible.
>>
>>14163625
Not even that guy, but burden of proof isn't about some kind of intellectual dueling. It's cold, hard logic. If you can't see why burden of proof is a universal indicator for an argument, then you need to think harder.
>>
>>14163591
>You don't need to prove an opinion if that's all you're stating
I know.
>aying something is worse than the norm like that doesn't really come off as an opinion
I don't really care, I'm on 4chan.

Furthermore, I do think burden of proof is important, but I'm also on 4chan, and again there's no prescribed decorum.
>>
>>14163583
I didn't call anything shit. I called it mediocre. At worst, I questioned the level of skill of the average artist and/or writer in Japan, but I'm also not going to forgo reason and decline that corporate meddling or busy work schedules might be a large attribution to this.

If I offended you in some way with that, I can do nothing more than apologize. I just want a legitimate conversation about this, so, again, if I came off as abrasive or offensive, I am wholeheartedly sorry.

>>14163590
What buzzwords did I use? Transhumanism or "art"? I mean, it is absolutely absurd to deny the transhumanistic themes of FSS. The end result of the series is the advent of a higher existence.
>>
>>14163648
>I just want a legitimate conversation about this
Either you didn't, or you're incredibly new.
Also, anime and manga are all art, even the worst. They by definition, have artwork. Your opening query is low hanging bait and you should be truly ashamed.

I didn't see your post as buzzwordy really, but you do come off as a smug asshole who probably hasn't consumed that much anime (whether or not this is true I can't say, nor care). Also, /lit/ is prone to absolutism and hyperbole, just like the variety you employed.

Also, Japanese art contains a lot more than anime and manga, and you should really educate yourself before making such infantile claims.
>>
>>14163648
As an art, avant garde, pinnacle, why is there NOTHING, among the greatest storytellers of the world. There are probably many others I'm forgetting, but those are words very commonly used by shitposters such as yourself to try and rile people up.
>>
>>14163453
>Is Five Star Stories the closest mecha has to offer as an art?
The closest to what?

>>14163497
>At the end of the day, anime and manga are an art
Well, yeah, but my attempt to translate the OP into english makes me think the OP is wrong on that part.
>>
>>14163708
I think by "an art", he means, "something of legitimate value", like a novel or something. Him trying to be prissy about giant robot comics, more or less.
>>
>>14163727
Well, if he doesnt even know the words he's using I doubt he can judge the merit of a work of art.
>>
>>14163583
>>14163590
>>14163625
>>14163628
lol I'm not even OP, I just think it's the best way to avoid shit-flinging "discussions" as we often get here. In this case, >>14163537 is in the wrong for asking a burden of proof when there is no reason for one. It's an opinion and we can all assume we've seen the work. There is no proof to the opinion. Sorry for not reading the reply chain before commenting on your post.
>>
File: nagano-four.jpg (46KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
nagano-four.jpg
46KB, 600x800px
>>14163453
>“That thing that looks like a Gundam in your hand, along with that strange articulated double-knee joint is by no means attractive to me, nor am I at all impressed by it. I feel a sense of revulsion for it, in fact.

>I’m sure in short time there will be an increase in people in Akihabara making these strange yoga-posing snapfit kits. It was the same when everyone started building those piss-easy Master Grades, and when it became Real Grades – I’m fed up with it.”

>“It may seem like I am ignoring your human rights to say this, but you can’t research any of that. Why? Because you have no way of knowing what it’s like to be gluing together a pose, sculpting with Pla-plate and putty, or having empathy with the men who now have lung cancer due to lacquer fumes and toxic adhesives, covered in nubs and resin dust as they labour with their sandpaper.

>You go out into the plastic model shop without enriching your imagination. You are merely grasping the Whatever-Grade as a snapfit toy you use to stroke yourself.

>You jump at the newest Gundam kits, and all you do is relish the pride in owning one as some consumer without putting in any effort. You must not become a consumer. You must become someone that creates.”

-Mamoru Nagano, "Ode to Bandai", ISBN 9784048123456
>>
>>14163883
>tips fedora
>>
>>14163883
Why does this always get posted? It's not funny and it's not believable. If it's not good bait and it's not a discussion topic, why post it?
>>
File: Not-This-Shit-Again.jpg (65KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
Not-This-Shit-Again.jpg
65KB, 604x340px
>>14163453
>its a "shitposter makes FSS/Nagano bait thread for the 7777th time" episode

https://desustorage.org/m/thread/13279514/#13303900
>>
>>14163908
>It's not funny and it's not believable.

Humor is subjective, but do you honestly think this isn't something Nagano would say?
>>
>>14163925
Not when it's posted nonstop with the Ode to Bandai signature. I agree that Nagano might say something like that though.
>>
>>14163921
It really is amazing how a franchise whose accessibility level is literally zero unless you're Japanese has been the subject of so much shitposting these past couple of years.
>>
>>14163960
It's the designs. They look like bad 2bqh, so I can see why the shitposting angle is so attractive.
>>
>>14163960
All it takes is a single or couple butthurt faggots to fling some shit like making this thread. See: Valvrager and Snapshit.
>>
>>14163547
I think I saw it on /tv/ a couple days ago for that new Captain America movie. Of course, it had to be fucking /tv/.
>>
>>14163964
Dedicated and butthurt, you mean. Emphasis on the former.

If some miracle happens and Gothicmade ever does come out, I fear the shitposting will reach G-Reco levels the moment the BD is announced.
>>
File: nagano-tomino.jpg (274KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
nagano-tomino.jpg
274KB, 600x480px
>>14163996
>I fear the shitposting will reach G-Reco levels the moment the BD is announced.

Nagano really is Tomino's protege, isn't he.
>>
>>14163978
>I think I saw it on /tv/ a couple days ago
I searched for the non-mecha/FSS flavortext strings and got nothing in the 4plebs archive.

I wish it was /tv/
It's about to be. WITNESS ME
>>
>>14163635
>lettering

OP may be a faggot, but so are you.
>>
>>14164035
Did text rape you and kill your family? Or were you just born a faggot?
>>
>>14164035
>OP may be a faggot, but so are you.
Lettering is actually a big deal.
>>
>>14164064
Only if you're an autist.

Oh wait, I forgot, I'm on /m/.
>>
>>14164083
That's like saying only autists care about spelling in a novel or the formatting of a poem. You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>14163453
>FSS
FYI your pic is of Nagano's version of Gundam ZZ.
>>
>>14164093
Yeah, because you can read Nippon ching-chong ring-rong, dumb gaijin.
>>
>>14164127
>FYI your bait pic
ftfy

>>14164144
Well, lettering isn't exclusive to manga, my friend. It's in superhero comics and bad lettering really stands out.

>>14164083
If autism bothers you, why don't you try another board? Perhaps another website entirely?
>>
>>14164093
>or the formatting of a poem
Yeah, fuck off.
>>
>>14164155
>If autism bothers you

Nah, just yours.

>superhero comics

Explains a lot about your faggotry.
>>
>>14164144
I can. Also, lettering is mostly about the placement and stylization of text so you don't really need to read it to judge it in most cases.

>>14164156
Get an education, imbecile.
>>
File: teh-kek.jpg (175KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
teh-kek.jpg
175KB, 500x382px
>>14164187
>I can.
>>
>>14164187
>I can
Prove it.
>>
>>14163883
>You must not become a consumer. You must become someone that creates.”

Wow, fuck him, not everyone gets to make toys for a living. Bet he's a consumer himself. Bet he doesn't milk his own fucking cows everyday.

That's right, how does this jap get his milk? Probably buys it in bright orange no-effort easy cartons from the supermarket. What a hypocrite. He should go buy cows and a pasteurization facility and WORK for that milk. Be a milk CREATOR not CONSUMER.

But no, he takes the easy way out, doesn't have to deal with feeding and cleaning up literal shit. Doesn't have to work around meatpacking regulations to cram 365 cows into a 10' x 10' pen.

He jumps at the newest shitty Nestle choco milks, all he does is relish the taste as some consumer without putting in any effort.

t. Dairy Farmer
>>
>>14164298
Don't you have a Trump rally to attend?
>>
>>14164298
*upvote*
>>
>>14163453
>>14163635
Why are you replying to yourself, OP?
>>
>>14164287
私はできません
>>
>>14164187
Oh shit, I thought you said that the formatting was unimportant, I was skimming really fast. My bad.
>>
>>14164330
What?
>>
File: MSN-010_P.E.G.[NewType].jpg (730KB, 2584x1820px) Image search: [Google]
MSN-010_P.E.G.[NewType].jpg
730KB, 2584x1820px
>>
>>14168253
Neat
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.