[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have never watched Gundam before. Is there a recommended watch/read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 13

File: something something gravity.jpg (13KB, 242x242px) Image search: [Google]
something something gravity.jpg
13KB, 242x242px
I have never watched Gundam before. Is there a recommended watch/read list? Is it worth watching compilation movies or should I stick with the shows? Should I watch all of UC before moving on to different universes? Are there any that should be skipped at all costs?

Dub or sub?
>>
dub or sub of the original is pretty good.

i'd say watch what you want, but i wouldn't try to start off with any of the 2000 and further era shows.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>14162603

Unless you insist on being a weeb, just watch the dubs if you can. There's very few instances when the voice talent is show-stoppingly bad.
>>
Watch 0079 before all else, then you can decide for yourself if you want to do AU or continue in UC. UC is really interesting and most Gundam staples are actually from Zeta, so I'd go that route.

Movies are not a good choice for the first watch, but they can be a decent refresher as well as an interesting little bonus of new animation at some parts.

Don't skip 0079, Zeta, ZZ or CCA if you plan on watching any of their sequels in early UC. Otherwise you can skip SEED+Destiny if you want but then you won't be able to meme with the cool kids. It's one hell of an experience, to put it nicely.

There's a watch chart but there's no real point to it. Just watch what you want, as long as you watch early UC in production order.
>>
File: Gundam flow chart - 2.png (2MB, 1800x2853px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam flow chart - 2.png
2MB, 1800x2853px
someone made this a while back and it serves pretty well
>>
Just watch whatever in any order. None of it actually matters.

I say watch 08th MS Team and 0083 Stardust Memories. Those are some great shows.

Zeta is okay but "A New Translation" movies are better and is the new canon. ZZ is shit, skip it. Char's Counterattack is great though, don't skip that.
>>
File: 1436655314457.jpg (2MB, 2800x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1436655314457.jpg
2MB, 2800x3000px
>>14162618
>>14162638
kys

>>14162620
this
>>
>>14162618
You watch The Godfather in English, don't you?
>>
I am convinced people do this on purpose for replies at this point
>>
>>14162669
it seems like every gundam thread these days is just to cause more trouble on this board. I think I see a zeta thread pop up like once a day now
>>
>>14162659
Fuck off with that, you know I am right.

0083 is the best thing Gundam related ever.
>>
>>14162603

I recommend watching the compilation movies when you can 9keeping in mind the Zeta compilations are not canon).

If you want to watch all of UC first, go ahead. There's nothing problematic with that approach. If you want to skip anything it'll probably ZZ which all you really need to know is that there was yet another Zeon remnant uprising that got stamped out by the Feds. 0083, 0080, and 08th MST are skippable, too, but I'd still recommend watching them even though they have no direct impact to anything later in UC. MS IGLOO was just bad and pretty skippable.

Every other Gundam series have their own tone and look to them. Some might cater to your personal tastes while others may offend them so it's really up to you whether you want to watch them or not. The only reason not drop a series is that it will legitmize your shitposting of it later.
>>
>>14162637
>no branch for After war
>not even including it in late UC for laughs
Sad
Not even gonna touch the IBO rec, there was no way they could've known.
>>
File: 1459817808127.jpg (286KB, 632x483px) Image search: [Google]
1459817808127.jpg
286KB, 632x483px
>>14162684
How retarded must you be to think that. 0083 had some of the most boring writing.
>>
>>14162668
i watch it in italiano!!

G A B A G O O L
A
B
A
G
O
O
L
>>
File: 1412523498461.jpg (187KB, 693x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1412523498461.jpg
187KB, 693x1000px
>>14162603
Watch Seed first. better version of first gundam.
>>
>>14162637

Why the fuck is Turn-A and RG in late UC? And why does it include a manga for a recommendation?
>>
>>14162724
No its great, same with 08th MS Team.

>Watching anything past the late 80s
Fucking nasty.
>>
Production order.
>>
>>14162731
You could watch the shows and find out yourself.
>>
>>14162732
>No its great, same with 08th MS Team.
>>Watching anything past the late 80s
I see a contradiction.

They're both boring in writing but nice in concept and animation, particularly 0083. But you'd never start someone on it.
>>
>>14162745
>Watching things
Where the fuck do you think we are?
>>
>>14162659
>kys

It's a felony in every US state to advise or encourage people to commit suicide. This in turn is a violation of 4chan Global Rules.
>>
>>14162745

Turn-A and G-Reco are not late UC. They're not even UC at all.
>>
>>14162778
They both take place after UC.
>>
Thanks for the advice.

>>14162669
Do these threads happen often? I just wanted opinions.
>>
I am about to finish watching first Gundam series. In case I'll ever want to re-watch it or just look up on differences between show and movies, should I choose theatrical sound mix or remixed version of movies? I've checked a bit of remixed sounds and it sounds cinematic as shit, but not like, well, Gundam, I guess.

Also, if it doesn't have Gallant Char it can go to hell.
>>
>>14162788

G, Wing, X, etc. all take place after UC, too, but that doesn't make them "late-UC."
>>
>>14163015
G-Reco is explicitly after Universal Century and it proceeds Turn-A. Everything else safely falls into "Alternate Unicerse" territory.
>>
>>14163047
>explicitly

wut.

The only thing that addresses the order of timelines are in interviews. The Dark History libraries in Turn-A show scenes from UC, X, G, and Wing implying that they all take place before the events of Turn-A.
>>
>>14162603
just watch 0079 before anything, if you don't like it mecha isn't for you
>>
>>14162975
not often, but alot more then it would then you'd think
>>
File: charlaughing.gif (317KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
charlaughing.gif
317KB, 500x375px
>>14162776
>>
>>14163103
Looks like someone didn't pay attention. G-Reco not only has a MS Museum for UC suits but also specifically states that humanity almost died out during the Universal Century. We also know it is 500 years after Turn A, according to Tomino. If I remember correctly, there are 7000 years between UC and Turn A. The rest can safely be filed into Black History because we have no idea where it happens, why it happens, or if it's anything more than a running set of cameos (or OOHH DEEP LORE, GUYS). Just like Destiny shoehorned the moon city in, IBO has Sydney completely fucked. But realistically it's hard to believe that, say, Trailblazers can happen in the same couple millenia as dude space whales lmao. So we call them alternate because they totally could have happened in Black History but that's the extent of our knowledge.
>>
>>14163137

Turn-A solidifies that UC, AW, AC, and FC all take place in the same continuity.
>>
>>14163180
Stop this ad nauseam bullshit. Referential use of old footage doesn't solidify anything any more than any other silly arbitrary reference.
>>
>>14163189
>this coming from the same person that made a chart saying ANT isn't canon while leaving ZZ canon.

Off yourself, cunt.
>>
File: jewdough.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
jewdough.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>14163198
Actually, I'm a different poster, and although that chart is garbage
>Implying ANT is canon
>Implying that ANT wouldn't make ZZ non-canon
>Implying Unicorn
Also, that's effectively an ad hominem and fails to address the argument remotely.
>>
>>14163198
I was going to respond to your other post but now I'm not going to bother. This is getting weaker by the minute.
>>
>>14163213
>that's effectively an ad hominem
Like I give a shit. I'm just here for the canon v. non-canon memes.

>>14163214
That was my first post in the thread, as this was yours.
>>
>>14163213
>Unicorn
If its worth anything, RE:0096 solidifies Unicorn as part of the non-canon TV timeline since it's now the definitive version unless something is said otherwise.
>>
>>14163189
>Referential use of old footage doesn't solidify anything

How does it not?

By definition referential footage is admissible evidence, dummy.
>>
>>14163218
Sorry fag but I've been in the conversation. Other anon just jumped in with the "ad nauseam" post.

ANT is not canon, ZZ is.
>>
>>14163227
Sorry BK your posts are not worth anything so we'll continue to disregard your opinion.

>he still believes that firumu means movie
>>
Might as well ask it here:

How was Stargazer for you? I might watch it.
>>
>>14163237
>we
Yes, it's only natural for those who don't want to seek the truth to fear investigation.

But 'Film' means 'TV shows'!
I came here to laugh at you.jpeg
>>
>>14163242
Mediocre, but it's very short so you might as well watch it. It is nice in that it expands upon a non-UC universe though.
>>
>>14163230
>ANT is not canon, ZZ is.
Source?
>>
>>14163228
It's about as solid as any other joke that breaks the fourth wall. Just because a comedy series constantly does so doesn't explicitly mean they live in a universe where the fabric of reality is blending into our own. Assuming anything and we're just dealing with vagueries that can't really be confirmed nor denied.
>>
>>14163248
But TV Shows are starting to not use Film anymore... Most things have been using other methods that aren't Celluloid.
>>
>>14163228
Black History, I don't have to explain shit. All we know is that UC is the start of the timeline and Turn-A/G-Reco are the latest entries. Therefore they are an extension of UC. However we don't know where AUs fall so there's no reason to classify them as UC. For all we know the timelines converge. The fact remains that there is little point in calling them UC when nothing within THOSE shows tie them in (besides little references like Sydney crater cameo). Turn A is confirmed to be a certain number of years after UC, and it also states that others are in the time line. But it would be foolish to put them in the UC category.
>>
>>14163254
>Source?
Zeta, CCA, and Unicorn/0096.

And the fact that Tomino said that ANT is just a different interpretation of the Zeta story.
>>
>>14163258
>It's about as solid as any other joke that breaks the fourth wall

How many times that happen in Turn-A? Or any other Gundam series for that matter?
>>
>>14162603
As for OP, there's a few different ways to you can tackle things.

If you just want the bare bones of UC.
The canon version are the movies, which tells the story of Char and Amuro.

MSG > Z: ANT > CCA

If you want to get some more meat, you can watch the TV versions of the shows followed by Char's Counter Attack.

MGS > Z > ZZ> CCA

There's also two late UC series that focus on things found in early UC called F91 and Victory. And a lot of side stories focusing around MGS (MS IGLOO, 0080, 0083, 08th MS Team) And while the side stories can fit into both the Movie and TV timeline, they just came out with Unicorn Gundam with is part of the TV timeline.

>>14163254
Their ass.

ANT actually fits extremely well if you go from it into CCA (Otherwise they'd be trotting it out in every thread that's about this.) and they actually tried to put forward an interview on what is canon and Sunrise themselves saying anything that was animated is canon (Which is extremely idiotic since it's impossible to fit shows like Origin and Thunderbolt into MSG without major inconsistencies.) But they specific word that was used was 'film'. Which to any rational person is a movie. So the movie versions are canon.
It's kinda silly they get so butt befuddled over what is and isn't canon since they always go on about how the Japanese don't care about canon. And ignore the fact that just because it's not canon, doesn't mean it ceases to exist and you're banned from watching it

>>14163280
>And the fact that Tomino said that ANT is just a different interpretation of the Zeta story.
Which he never said.
>>
>>14163248
Who said it meant TV shows? Stop arguing dishonestly and moving goalposts like that.

We had half a thread about your poor understanding of Japanese and someone who knows the language actually debunked you. Despite this you claim your machine translation is perfect (with no way to confirm it, because you don't know the language) and disregard actual proof.

Here's your (You).

>>14163259
The comment was from 2002 iirc and was irrelevant to official nature of any Gundam series. But he warps the facts to fit his own agenda with mistranslations and half-truths so there's no need to pay attention to him.
>>
>>14163296
The quantity is totally irrelevant. There's no rational reason to assume it is. All asserting that means is, "I like my nutball theories more, so you should agree with them."
>>
>>14163299
>Who said it meant TV shows?
Everyone who is trying to say the word 'film' doesn't mean movies maybe? And then blaming it on some phantom error in translation when you don't get their way?

>The comment was from 2002 iirc and was irrelevant to official nature of any Gundam series.
So now it just doesn't matter? That's a rather childish way to approach something that doesn't go your way.
>>
>>14163297
>their ass
Figured.

>it's impossible to fit shows like...and Thunderbolt

What's animated (so far) of Thunderbolt isn't incongruous with anything, maybe a bit fringe.

Also, are you Armond White?
>>
File: ms-06.jpg (48KB, 298x400px) Image search: [Google]
ms-06.jpg
48KB, 298x400px
>>14163321
For thunderbolt, the manga greatly deviates from what is accepted history in UC Half of Zeon's military refuses to stand down after the armistice is signed and the fact you see the specific type of Zaku used Thunderbolt used in Operation British and by Char.

For the anime, while there isn't a timeline deviation, the mobile suit designs that are in the major contradiction. If they were specific to Side 4, there would make a note in their designation. Instead they are still refereed to as MS-06 Zaku II, RGM-79 GM, and so forth. Also the models have the same names, but are given the title (Thunderbolt version) on their boxes.

Also, just because Thunderbolt does its own thing, doesn't make it any less of a series and means people should avoid it.

No
>>
>>14163267
1. UC is a calendar era, like "Edo Period", "Han Dynasty", or "BC". FC is not UC just like the Information Age is not the Paleolithic Era.
2. It takes a much larger slice of bullshit, by several orders of magnitude, to explain universes merging. Forgotten eras of history is a far more reasonable explanation. Also there has never, in any official material, been any mention of merging timelines. The closest you'll ever find is that chart from a magazine strategy guide for an SD Gundam G-Generation video game, and that's about as official a source as uncyclopedia.
The MG Turn X manual used the singular word for "timeline", not a plural, and listed every calendar era that existed at the time of its publication (only Gunpla Builders, Build Fighters, and SD weren't listed). Tomino mentioned wanting Gundam fans to make "a timeline of all Gundam, and put G-Reco where I said". Not "a chart of Gundam timelines" but "a timeline".
>nothing within THOSE shows
>besides things in those shows that I disqualify by calling them "references" because otherwise I'd have to admit that there are things linking those shows to each other
>>
>>14163309
>The quantity is totally irrelevant.

Then why are you even bringing it up?

The bottomline is that the Dark History of Turn-A includes UC, FC, AC, AW and that is referenced several times throughout the show itself in archival footage, character flashbacks, and the mecha.
>>
File: Anno Domini.jpg (177KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Anno Domini.jpg
177KB, 960x540px
>>14163352
Animated-wise
Regarding the Zeek side, they do specify that they are part of "The Living Dead" unit, so I guess having their own thing isn't too implausible. Only the Psycho-Zaku deviates much.
As for the Moore GMs and Gundam, I can't say much other than hey maybe it's just saying it's tailor fit for the Thunderbolt sector, thus being a "version."

Is 0080 canon?

>>14163368
Reminder that UC takes place after 00.
pic rel
>>
>>14163387
I didn't. I more or less said it doesn't matter when I brought up the comedy analogy. Again, there's nothing solid in that whatsoever. That retarded Ideon one-shot is more likely to be canon.
>>
>>14163388
>UC takes place after 00.
FALSE.
The original japanese dialogue says "西暦" (pronounced "seireiki"), not Anno Domini.
Now if you go to translate.google.com and paste those two symbols (together) in, google translate does say "Anno Domini".
BUT
if you past them one at a time and translate them, you'll see that it's actually
WESTERN 西
CALENDAR 暦

In real life, and in the *current era*, "西暦" is used to refer to the Anno Domini calendar, which is why the subtitles translate it that way. But 西暦 does *not* mean "Anno Domini" ("In the year of our lord"), it just means "Western Calendar" so, basically, you're stupid for asserting that 00 goes before UC.
>>
>>14163428
The narrator in 00 literally enunciates "A.D."

lmao
>>
>>14163428
>Implying Western Calendar isn't A.D.
It's what we currently use as Western Calendar is it not?
>>
>>14163442
>watching the dub
>>
>>14163456
Disregard I'm an idiot who's posting late in the early morning and can't read
>>
>>14163456
stubborn atheists call the current era "CE"
We SEED now?
>>
>>14163388
Now, there was some plausibility to saying that the Zakus and Rick Doms were specifically made for the Living Dead Division. However you see units outside of the Thunderbolt sector like the Siren Fleet who used Zaku I's of the Thunderbolt design rather than those seen in other series along with the Thunderbolt version of the Gelgoog. (The propellant backpack that also acts as a generator for the Gelgoog's Beam Rifle) Also the Thunderbolt Zaku I's made an appearance during a flashback to the One Week Battle at Side 4. This would have been well before the Living Dead Division was formed or Side 4 became a shoal zone.

If the series gets green lit to continue, it will more than likely follow the events of the manga as well. Where the deviations to what is accepted UC history will become much more prevalent.

>Is 0080 canon?
The better way to phrase that would be 'Is 0080 it's own separate timeline?' But in regards to both that and if it's canon. No. The deviation in mobile suit designs in 0080 was explained under the United Maintenance Plan, and every mobile suit used in War in the Pocket are given specific designations. (I.E. MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai, MS-09RII Rick Dom II, etc.) Also 0083 even included the Rick Dom II as part of the Delaz Fleet.
>>
>>14163465
Did I hear CURRENT [TIMEFRAME]?
>>
>>14163457
>Shits on dubs
>Posts the best dub ever for a gundam
You fucked up.
>>
>>14163476
Are you talking about the manga or the anime for the flashback? And the Siren Fleet could have changed mecha to head into the shoal zone.
>>
>>14163457
>>watching the dub
Nope!
>>
>>14163521
Anime for the flashback. You can see how the Zaku Is have a Leo-ish (Gundam Wing) space backpack and covering over its joints.

>Switching out suits
That would be a logistical nightmare, even for Zeon standards, also the Siren Fleet was just either on patrol or another mission when they came across Fisher's Rick Dom and immediately scrambled to aid the Living Dead Division, so they wouldn't have had time to switch mobile suits for something specific to the Thunderbolt region.
>>
>>14163606
You also have the scene at A Baoa Qu where the 3 Zaku II's in the background are clearly of the Thunderbolt design (but no backpack) when it's a general assembly of troops.
>>
>>14162684
If Lt. Burning didn't die then you'd be right.
But he did and thus 0083 kinda sucks plot wise at least.
>>
>>14162603
I'm not OP, but is there a read list for UC? I've watched most Gundam media, but I've never heard of anyone even talk about the manga side of things.
>>
>>14164267
Nozaku has some good releases, check him out.
>>
>>14162726
fuck off mario
>>
>>14162659
>>14162637
>Zeta movies are not canon
I want this meme to end.
>>
>>14163465
>CE
Disgusting. If they want to mark the transition, change the calendar system.

OH WAIT THEY TRIED THAT BEFORE IN FRANCE AND THAT FUCKED UP.

Same with the metric system, although that got pushed heavily because revolutionaries and reformers love fucking over people's perceptions of reality.
>>
>>14162603
As you can probably see, you're going to get a lot of autistic nerds arguing about canon and not about quality.

My advice? Watch everything, stick the production order for the most part aside from watching the UC OVAs in timeline order.
>>
>>14166095
>Believing the Zeta movies are canon.
You know everything after Zeta is non canon fanfic garbage.
>>
>>14167394
this. just try out any of the series I started with Zeta then went all over the place. Zeta is pretty good dubbed as well.
>>
>>14167391
>If they want to mark the transition
It's not that, they just want to remove the reference to Yeshua.
Instead of Before Christ and Annno Domini it's Before Common Era and Common Era.

Then there's the Holoscene Epoch which basically just starts counting from 10,000 BC(E) which was the end of the last ice age.
>the metric system
I remember when I was a kid in the 80's they put up speed limit signs in KPH all over the place, right under the MPH signs. The rednecks shot the KPH signs full of holes until they more or less disintegrated.
>>
>>14167391
>dissing on metric
USA anon and although I love traditional, metric is ten trillion times easier to use and it would have been great if it were the standard. There's no reason not to.
>>
>>14162603
Both 0079 and Zeta have good dubs. Watch them both, TV series, no movies, dubbed.

AFAIS 00 is also good, but not as much as UC
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.