[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /m/ I really want to get into gundam so I jumped in at unicorn.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: pleasehelp.jpg (231KB, 1214x680px) Image search: [Google]
pleasehelp.jpg
231KB, 1214x680px
hey /m/ I really want to get into gundam so I jumped in at unicorn. I soon realized that's a dumb mistake. so what order do I watch which shit in. everyone seems to have a different answer to the question. do I do realese or chronological. also what are the best subs and Torrents around right now.
>>
https://imgur.com/7OFCWHd
>>
>>14129396
thank you anon.
>>
Given that you jumped in with Unicorn, you might want to go production order with the original series then Zeta/ZZ and CCA. The rest of the UC are side stories you can get to later or take place after unicorn.
>>
>>14129392
If you want to be needlessly thorough then just watch everything in production order.

If you want a concise viewing order then watch:
MSG movie trilogy
Char's Counterattack
Unicorn
Turn A

That's the best the Gundam franchise has to offer. The best torrents are EG, where available.
>>
>>14129396
>imgur link on an imageboard
fucking leave
>>
>>14129411
File size was too big ya cunt.
>>
>>14129406
how viable is it to skip a series? are they all pretty self contained? I know about the time lines. but I'm talking about skipping within a timeline.
>>
File: 7OFCWHd.jpg (846KB, 1960x2100px) Image search: [Google]
7OFCWHd.jpg
846KB, 1960x2100px
>>14129416
Well congratulations, you managed to resize it for ants
>>
File: how_to_watch_unicorn.jpg (1MB, 3600x800px) Image search: [Google]
how_to_watch_unicorn.jpg
1MB, 3600x800px
>>14129392
>>
>>14129432
Zeta and ZZ are definitely NOT self-contained. They are direct sequels to MSG and rely heavily on your pre-existing investment in the characters and knowledge of the setting. They are also pretty bad and have a very confused story direction.

Char's Counterattack is set after Zeta and ZZ, but in my opinion it actually makes less sense if you've seen those shows.

Generally, all UC Gundam material assumes you have at least seen the original Mobile Suit Gundam. It all builds on that and references it heavily.
>>
>>14129440
I can still read it.
>>
>>14129406
>concise
>skipping over MSG (series)
>skipping over Zeta completely
>skipping over ZZ completely
What the blueberry fuckmuffins are you trying to do to him, anon? You just skipped over the very core of the franchise.

OP, most of Gundam can actually be watched in any order because half the franchise is self-contained stories that are separated from each other by centuries. The part that *is* important to watch in order is what we call "Early UC" which goes from 0079 to 0096 on the Universal Century calendar. 0079 is the original Mobile Suit Gundam. You can watch the movies if you like, there's nothing wrong with them, but the series is just more of a good thing. Then comes Zeta Gundam, which is set 8 years later and features a lot of the characters from MSG. Then ZZ Gundam comes right at the end of Zeta and continues the stories of those characters that survived but adds in a whole new crew. Char's Counter Attack is next, at 0093, and is the end of the running story about the hero and villain of the original series. Very few other characters show up, most of CCA's cast is new. Then Unicorn is kind of a book-end story that sets up how the world got to the state it's in for the original 0079 series and why nothing about the conflicts in early UC is relevant anymore in "Late UC" (stories set after UC100). It features a couple of characters from the original series and ZZ but is mostly a self-contained story set three years after the end of the Amuro/Char thing.

There are also several side-stories in early UC, mostly set during the original series. These are 0080, 08th MS Team, MS Igloo, and 0083: Stardust Memory which is set just before Zeta and explains how the bad guys in Zeta came into power (but it's a self-contained story that features no characters from MSG and only a cameo by two baddies from Zeta. If you watch it after Zeta, you'll know who those two are, but as long as you watch it after 0079 you won't really miss anything.
>>
>>14129491
so does everyone focus on uc. how much do people care about the other stuff.
I've only seen g gundam as a kid, I fucking loved it
>>
>>14129491
>What the blueberry fuckmuffins are you trying to do to him, anon?
Give him a good impression of the Gundam franchise. Slogging through a hundred episodes of Zeta + ZZ is not a good way to get into Gundam. You don't need to see Zeta or ZZ to understand CCA or Unicorn.
>>
>>14129520
This is far too stupid to not be trolling.
>>
>>14129516
the thread is about what order to watch stuff in, since UC is the only one that really matters for watch order there wont be much talk about the others.
>>
>>14129491
*continued*
Aside from that, there are only a few shows that got sequels.
Wing goes before Endless Waltz.
SEED goes before Destiny
00 goes before Awakening Of The Trailblazer
AGE got a movie that kind of replaces the middle arc of the show. Better to watch the series first.
These shows can be watched in any order, they're centuries apart and the events of each story (as well as Early UC and Late UC) are completely forgotten.
Oh, right...Late UC:
There's one show and two movies that take place after UC100. Victory Gundam is an awesome but severely depressing series. F91 is the middle part of a series squished into a movie with unannounced timeskips but great animation. G-Saviour is a canadian live-action movie set in UC0223. Nothing that happened in early UC is mentioned in any of these, nor are they mentioned in each other. They're completely stand-alone stories.

Then there's Turn A Gundam, set 10,000 years after the original series and intended to be the ultimate end of the story. Really, though, almost nothing of what happened in all those shows affects Turn A's story. There are just a bunch of old machines they dig up, and some historical records they find later on. If you've seen all the shows you'll recognize all that stuff, but being 10,000 years later means that Turn A's story is completely self-contained.

UNTIL...
G-Reco, originally stated to be right at the end of the UC calendar, is now apparently 500 years after Turn A. Like Turn A, there are some cameos of old machines and mention of the mistakes of the past but the story is self-contained.

And finally Iron Blooded Orphans, the most recent show. Again, completely self-contained with no connection to any other story.

Everything in this post could be watched in any order (but Turnfags will still yell at me for saying it's not important to save it for last).
>>
>>14129544
Thanks for that great contribution. You're really adding a lot of credibility to your opinion with posts like that.
>>
>>14129392
Well, what I did was watch all the Tomino ones in order (MSG, Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91, then Victory) then watched the ovas. To fully get Unicorn, I'd say watch MSG, Z, ZZ, and Char's Counterattack, then Unicorn. All other OVAs are purely side-stories besides Stardust Memories, which I think is better viewed after Zeta rather than before.
>>
>>14129520
>logging through a hundred episodes of Zeta + ZZ is not a good way to get into Gundam.
Anyone who actually watches the MSG series will already be "into Gundam" by the end of those 43 episodes, anon. Again, you're skipping the core of the only part of the franchise that is a long-running continuous story. If you want to start him with something short, recommend 0080 (what I started with), 00, X, or whatever else is self-contained.

>>14129516
Some people dismiss everything that isn't UC. Some people even dismiss parts of UC they don't like and will try to convince you they're not canon.
Me? I only ever dropped one Gundam show. I love almost the entire franchise. You should know, though, that G Gundam is the only one that's like that. The closest you'll find is Gundam Build Fighters, a show about kids playing a game where plastic model Gundams fly around and fight like a video game. Everything else is a war story.
>>
>>14129520
>You don't need to see Zeta or ZZ to understand CCA or Unicorn.

This is one of the falsest statements I've ever seen on /m/. Do people really believe this shit?
>>
>>14129588
I've actually seen a lot of people on here agree that CCA would have made more sense if Zeta didn't exist. CCA is the logical continuation of Char and Amuro's relationship in 0079. When you add the events of Zeta in, it starts to seem very nonsensical and dumb.
>>
>>14129603
Replacing an established chronological order of events with headcanon isn't exactly the best way to watch a show. Guess what, no matter how much people want to pretend otherwise, Gundam isn't exactly a good franchise, it has a shitload of flaws but we watch it anyways.
>>
>>14129603
why would char fighting the federation in zeta make it nonsensical for him to be fighting the federation in CCA?
>>
>>14129618
I think you are vastly overestimating how much someone like Tomino cares about "canon". He makes whatever he feels like, and acknowledges whatever prior works he feels like. Factor into this his own vocal disdain for many of his Gundam works, including Zeta, and any argument about how important the "established chronological order of events" is falls apart.
>>
>>14129476
>that is the joke
>>
>>14129603
That's dumb.
Without Zeta and ZZ you have no idea who Mineva is, what the MP Qubeley means, who Marida really is, how corrupt the post-OYW Federation actually is, who Beltorchika is, what Luo & Company is, etc, etc.
Also CCA references Zeta pretty heavily. The Axis asteroid, Char flashing back to that conversation with Amuro from Zeta, the shit that Amuro says to him in the big showdown, etc.
>>14129637
>Unicorn
>Tomino
Okay, now I KNOW you're trolling.
>>
>>14129697
Wasn't even talking specifically about Unicorn.
>>
File: 1448720720132.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
1448720720132.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>14129440
Latest.
>>
>>14129777
>ZZ is canon
What butthurt ZZ fag put this one in?
>>
>>14130082
>ZZ is not canon
Comp movie fags please leave.
>>
>>14130095
>ZZ is not canon
>Unicorn is canon
>Unicorn is built of ZZ references
Until there's an alternate Zeta or ZZ that has a Nahel Argama, deals with Haman, and has Purus, it's just not an argument.
>>
>>14130101
No shut the fuck up, ZZ is not canon because I say so.

Unicorn is canon though.
>>
>>14130101
Both ZZ and Unicorn aren't canon. Which makes sense because the ending was all peace and UNDERSTANDING. And then nothing changed.

Problem solved.
>>
>>14130123
Yep everything after Zeta is non canon.
>>
>>14129392
Retards are shitposting so here's the bare minimum required

-Mobile Suit Gundam (preferably full TV series but movie trilogy is okay too)
-Z gundam (TV series ONLY, movies literally not canon with alt ending)
-Gundam ZZ
-Char's Counterattack (movie)

This is all you need to get to Unicorn.
>>
>>14130131
No fuck off everything after Zeta is non-canon. Hell you should not watch anything after Zeta.
>>
>>14130082
>>14130123
>retards still refusing to accept that an officially made anime isn't canon
>retards still being so narrow minded and can't accept that ficitonal stories aren't 100% consistent
>retards still thinking canon is about quality or things you like
>>
not this shit again

can't we just get a sticky

a.) stating the order of the gandum series
and
b.) stating you dumb fucks can watch whatever the christ you want you don't need to goddamn make threads asking permission
>>
If the end goal is to watch Unicorn then go: Mobile Suit Gundam -> Zeta -> Char's Counterattack -> Unicorn

The OVAs and ZZ are ultimately inonsequential to Unicorn's story, save for some mech cameos and can be watched at your leisure.

The OVAs can be watched after MSG, although Stardust Memory may be best watched after Zeta, and you can watch ZZ after Zeta.
>>
>>14129406
>skipping zeta
>skipping 0083
also
>Unicorn
>That's the best the Gundam franchise has to offer.

kill yourself my man
>>
>>14130194
>a. ) if you want to start a series watch everything following the production order

FTFY
>>
>>14131490
You don't need to do that with Gundam, for the most part
Beyond watching the original MSG (be it the full TV series or the trilogy movies if you can't be bothered) + it's closely related material you can pretty much watch and skip whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>14129520
I dunno that I'd agree regarding CCA, but Unicorn gives you all the exposition you need. It just doesn't dump it on your head all at once.
>>
>>14129392
Here's the best way. It's very simple. Go on a wiki and look at the timeline of the Gundam show/movie/OVA you wanna watch. Then, there are two cases and a few exceptions:

1)It's a UC show. Watch in this order to get every reference:
Mobile Suit Gundam>Zeta>ZZ>Char's Counterattack>0080 War In The Pocket>0083 Stardust Memory>Mobile Suit Gundam F91>Mobile Suit Victory Gundam>Gundam Unicorn>Gundam Thunderbolt

2.It's an alternate universe. You can watch alternate universe Gundams in any order except for the exceptions listed below.

Exceptions:
-Watch Gundam Wing before watching Endless Waltz
-Watch Gundam Seed before watching Gundam Seed Destiny
-Watch Seed and Seed Destiny before watching Stargazer
-Watch 00 before watching Awakening of the Trailblazer.
>>
>>14129432
Don't skip or rush through a series just to watch the next one. Watch them for their own sake. Especially since CCA is not some ultimate masterpiece that you have to watch as soon as you can.
>>
>>14129697
>Char flashing back to that conversation with Amuro from Zeta
But that's just a /m/eme.
>>
>>14138631

There are a lot of people here who take is as incontrivertible proof of planning or character and ignore that that scene is about Lalah and not Amuro.
>>
>>14138584
>Watch Seed and Seed Destiny before watching Stargazer
Why would you punish yourself?
>>
>>14138739
I give no opinions on series I didn't watch, and I didn't see SEED nor SEED Destiny.
>>
>>14138778
*didn't watch SEED nor SEED Destiny.
>>
>>14138739
Because some people apparently like them for some reason.

That said even if you dislike Seed or Destiny still watch Stargazer because it's incredible.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.