[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I remember hearing that one of the influences of Eva was on the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 21

File: Eva.jpg (58KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Eva.jpg
58KB, 640x480px
I remember hearing that one of the influences of Eva was on the mecha designs of the late 90s and maybe early 2000s. Basically instead of more mechanic, bulky designs creators aimed for more sleak and organic looking designs. Which weren't necessarily as easy to adapt into toys.

Is this true and if so what would be some examples of shows like that?
>>
>>14122661
You're going to get maybe five at most, though more than likely only two. Eva did not leave a strong impact on mecha.
>>
>>14122661
>>14122671
Yeah most of the impact were popularizing certain story concepts and such
>>
>>14122671
>>14122679
Yeah, that statement is somewhat confusing to me. I've seen some of the mecha that were supposedly influenced by it like Gasaraki, Betterman, Raxhephon or Eureka Seven and while I can see the narrative, setting and thematic influnces it seems it didn't follow with the mecha designs.

So if those series didn't then what series did?
>>
>>14122718
None, really. Also, I'd like to point out that of the four series you mentioned, only maybe one or two have actual influence from Eva. So Eva not having an impact on mecha is not only from the mechanical design perspective, but as a whole.
>>
>>14122743
Too bad, since the designs were god-tier.
>>
>>14122661
No. That design trend was already going on since the early 90s.
>>
>>14122762
Don't know if I'd go that far, though they are fairly enjoyable.
>>
>>14122661
That's a load of shit. It was already a thing before Eva. Eva just made it more popular.
>>
>>14122771
>>14123011
Ok then, could I get some examples? I just really like those types of designs. The mix of mechanical and organic elements, all made to look disturbing. I just really dig the look of the EVAs. So if there were designs like that before or after, I'd love to see a work like that.
>>
>>14123556

The Five Star Stories will be a great read for you then. Debuted in 1986, and is rife with bio-mechanical robots. Fantasy knightly robots!
>>
File: 45785489.png (560KB, 473x750px) Image search: [Google]
45785489.png
560KB, 473x750px
>>14123556
the Iczer mechs
Dangaioh
Le Deus
Hagane and Haruka's mech in Daimajuu Gekitou Hagane no Oni
Jushin Liger
Dragon's Heaven's mechs
Skullkiller Jaki-Oh
manga Zeorymer to some extend
>>
File: Not Eva.jpg (160KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Not Eva.jpg
160KB, 1024x768px
There was this weird Tenchi spinoff with redesigned Eva units.

It was not the worst show I've seen.
>>
>>14123563
Seen the movie, I'm a bit cautious to read the manga since I know it might never be finished. Plus in general I prefer animation to comic books.
>>14123588
Thanks for those
>Dragon's Heaven's mechs
Damn, this looks like it was really inspired by Moebius.
>>
>>14123588
>Skullkiller Jaki-Oh
I've seen this one before. I know Eva was already in plans back then, but the designs looked different. Is it possible this manga may have influenced their look?
>>
File: FSS Volume 19 -032.jpg (444KB, 1093x1499px) Image search: [Google]
FSS Volume 19 -032.jpg
444KB, 1093x1499px
>>14122661
Skinny mecha have been a staple of FSS back in the 80's, and organic mecha go back even further with Dunbine. Eva didn't do anything new with its design, all it did was take Ultraman and combine him with Jagd Mirage's proportions (including the 40m size of both) and keep all the meat. And it most certainly did not inspire future mecha designs to be thinner, that's just a design trend that shifted from the 2000's onward much like how character designs got more rounded and less pointy-chinned. Even then, Eva did not have a heroic silhouette, so it's no surprise that similar designs to it don't show up as often as your standard Gundam.
>>
File: Evangelion - vs - Rahxephon.jpg (213KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion - vs - Rahxephon.jpg
213KB, 1200x900px
Badmouthing Evangelion's influence is a sport nowadays, but it have been incredibly influent.
It's just that beyond the first generation of series inspired by Eva, all it brought became mainstream (like how it codified the emotionless girl archetype).

Yet we've seen anime made only to cash on what it invented (Rahxephon wouldn't exist if it wasn't to copy it), or to reuse entire scene (Gundam 00 have so many look-alike it stopped being funny)

Then we had the parody, the reference,the homage (even today : that one beast from One Punch Man), as said the influence in the mech design (anorexic mecha, for the best and the worst)

Beyond all the above, you had an invisible influence. Serious show that were made thanks to Evangelion(and Gundam) proving there was a market.

Nowadays we can stop being amazed because all of this became mainstream and we've yet to see the next incredible experience that deconstruct or reconstruct /m/'s tropes in a novel way. (abandoning the Harem-cast and having female protagonist would be a good start)
>>
>>14123715
We wouldn't have such an inflow of tv anime in general if not for Evangelion.

We also definitely wouldn't get producers even considering more supporting more experimental projects like Lain, Bebop or Utena in the years after its release.
>>
File: Evangelion & Orgun.jpg (270KB, 1500x1197px) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion & Orgun.jpg
270KB, 1500x1197px
>>14123588
Don't forget Detonator Orgun.
>>
>>14123715
>raxephon
>Eva copy
Why do people keep getting this wrong?
>>
>>14123715

> to reuse entire scene (Gundam 00 have so many look-alike it stopped being funny)

Huh?
>>
>>14124233
The RahXephon's design is basically Proto Eva-01 (the white one) + Raideen. It uses similar lines to the Eva's body (especially obvious with the lower chest and crotch), even though RahXephon isn't supposed to be organic.
>>
>>14124233
In b4 someone posts the Evaxephon site again.
>>
File: You 'avin a Gigil m8.png (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
You 'avin a Gigil m8.png
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>14124233
>It's impossible to have more than 1 source of inspiration

Why are RahXefags so stupid?
>>
>>14124993
Says the M7fag.
>>
>>14124233
I don't see why it's bad to have been inspired by it. Eva was inspired by Ideon and Tomino was inspired by Starship Troopers by Heinlein. We can go on and on like this.
>>
>>14123739
>We wouldn't have such an inflow of tv anime in general if not for Evangelion.

What.

>We also definitely wouldn't get producers even considering more supporting more experimental projects like Lain, Bebop or Utena in the years after its release.

So we're ignoring that by far the most experimental period in anime was the 80s and early 90s when you could get a big-budget OVA for any concept you could assemble a script for, no matter how bad an idea it was? Tons of those were naval-gazing bullshit.
>>
>>14122661
Skinny mecha are a product of improvements in plastic and joint technology. G1 Transformers and the like were bricks because the technology didn't yet exist to make things like articulated legs that wouldn't snap off when kids pulled on their toys too hard and create broken shards of plastic you can get sued over, so you made the legs a really thick chunk of solid plastic that wasn't going to break no matter how roughly it was treated. It wasn't until around 1995 that the use of ball joints became widespread, which allowed for pieces that popped off when pulled too hard instead of breaking. Polycaps started seeing heavier use around roughly the same time, which similarly improved the articulation of model kits. Articulation is a huge selling point for toys because of how dramatically they improve play value, but hip articulation in particular can make heavier designs have issues with standing up on their own. This encouraged the shift to more slender designs that can stand under their own weight at the scales usually found on toys.
>>
File: inspiration.jpg (757KB, 1750x2750px) Image search: [Google]
inspiration.jpg
757KB, 1750x2750px
>>14125041
Because it makes it unimaginative, derivative, and boring. Also, you're missing a lot of inspirations.
>>
>>14125091
All that text for literally nothing.
>>
>>14125116
I just provided one example. Rahxephon also takes inspiration from mayan mythology for example.

Plus I don't see how Evangelion is unimaginative, derivative or boring. All those influences created a really unique compination.
>>
>>14125165
No, they did not.
>>
>>14125169
Sure, give me one single work that will deliever everything Evangelion had but better.
>>
>>14123601
Yes, Eva takes a lot from Skull Killer Jaki-Oh and Ken Ishikawa in general. Anno has said that he loves the manga of Ishikawa and that Getter Robo was his bible.

>>14123611
>>14123715
>>14125116
Oh gosh. It's this guy again.
https://desustorage.org/m/search/image/0ewgPFEMEHEJCYn4cR_UlQ/
>>
>>14125185
Here's to hoping that Happy Scans will do more Ishikawa titles. Most of his library is so unknown to many English-speakers.
>>
File: Swing and a Miss.png (9KB, 954x197px) Image search: [Google]
Swing and a Miss.png
9KB, 954x197px
>>14125185
You're one for three, I'll give you that much. Also, aside from the robot having the soul of a loved one in it, Jaki-Oh and Eva have nothing that must have come from Jaki-Oh in common. You Ishikawafags need to stop being so delusional with his supposed influence.
>>
File: Evangelion & Devilman.jpg (430KB, 870x1038px) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion & Devilman.jpg
430KB, 870x1038px
>>14124233
As the guy who first said that, I'll explain.
Rahxephon, despite its authors insistence to say it come from Megazone 23, Reideen and pretty much anything they can find before Evangelion, you can see recreation of NGE iconic ideas everywhere.

>>14124245
It shouldn't surprise anybody that Gundam 00 reused ideas when its well known they took a whole subplot out of Full Metal Panic.

Remember that scene where the new-mech is in a large white room, with everybody in a control-room staring at a rising synchro number in the hope it start up ? Or that scene were the wussy character lose control of the system he controlled and end up frenetically pulling the control levers in the hope it work ?
There's also that scene were a man in a suit talk to an secret assembly represented by inanimate objects with speaker while reviewing and commenting mech fights, displayed without the music.
(et cetera)

We can argue that Evangelion also reused a lot of ideas, scene, music & tropes from early show. The point stand that it was incredibly influential.

btw, I'm open to discuss the meaning of originality, it could be more constructive than talking of NGE.

>>14125185
I'm the guy from >>14123715, don't know the other two, and that link don't work
>>
>>14125185
Eva has more to do with Ultraman than anything from Ishikawa you fucking Getterfag.
>>
>>14123011
>It was already a thing before Eva.

STOP! THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT! IRREGARDLESS OF IT'S EXISTENCE BEFORE EVA EVA STILL INFLUENCED EVERYTHING AFTERWARDS CAUSE IT WAS SO GOOD!
>>
>>14125229
>Devilman invented Seraphim wings
>>
>>14123715
>deconstruct
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>14125059
Since you're two responses are connected I'll respond to both of them but in reverse order:
>So we're ignoring that by far the most experimental period in anime was the 80s and early 90s
We're not, basically 84-88 were the years when a bunch of experimental films and OVAs (not series which is important came out). People say this was triggered by the success of Nausicaa, though Urusei Yatsura 2 by Oshii aired a year earlier. To us it might seem like Nausicaa is just another Ghibli film, but this was before Ghibli and in fact the people who created it formed the studio. So in the next years we got a bunch of works like Train X, Honneamise, Robot Carnival, Neo Tokyo, Angel's Egg, Night on the Galactic Railroad, Tale of Genji and finally in 88 - Akira. The thing is most of those were finansial flops and the japanese economy collapsed at the end of the 80s. We almost didn't get any films after that, though the OVAs aimed at a young adult demographic did manage to survive to some degree, albeit they would often be unfinished. Plus they would still follow popular trends (mecha, cyberpunk) and you couldn't really call most of them experimental. So basically unless you were Ghibli you practically couldn't make a film. Oshii managed to do that with the success of the Patlabor OVAs but it took a while for him to come back to the industry after Angel's Egg.

Eva was a pretty risky project but like we had the boom of experimental ovas and movies, Eva did the same with TV. It's success gave a major kick to the industry which was in a slope and you can just look at the amount of tv anime before Evangelion and in the few years after it. Plus we got a lot more original tv anime, which was rather uncommon before. Even if there was it would mainly rely on toy sales, and the Eva, Lain, Utena, Bebop etc. were independent from that type of financing. Plus we got a lot more tv anime for adults which was even more rare before.
>>
>>14125287
It did now shut the fuck up you spic.
>>
>>14125300
This was thanks to the fact that Eva only became a financial success when it was moved to the late night time slot after controversies regarding it's content. It turns out the ratings boomed and producers realized young adults want their tv anime.

On top of that as with some of the series I mentioned in my last post and ones mentioned above in the chart it had an impact on establishing the genre of surreal, psychological anime. Not just mecha.
>>
>>14125300
>Eva was a pretty risky project but like we had the boom of experimental ovas and movies, Eva did the same with TV. It's success gave a major kick to the industry which was in a slope and you can just look at the amount of tv anime before Evangelion and in the few years after it. Plus we got a lot more original tv anime, which was rather uncommon before. Even if there was it would mainly rely on toy sales, and the Eva, Lain, Utena, Bebop etc. were independent from that type of financing. Plus we got a lot more tv anime for adults which was even more rare before.

Yes, this was the true influence of Eva. It basically put the nail in the coffin for OVA's and created the "late night anime" trend that soon became the staple of modern anime. Eva isn't influential because of the show itself, it was influential in how it was broadcasted.
>>
>>14125300
>tv anime
>for adults
Oh boy

>finansial
>blatant disregard for punctuation
You are a retard.
>>
>>14125308
>it had an impact on establishing the genre of surreal, psychological anime. Not just mecha.

Wrong, Oshii did that from as early as the 80's.
>>
>>14125211
Well us Ishikawafags must be deluded in every part of the world because the Japanese draw comparisons between Eva and Jaki-Oh commonly. I didn't even know what Jaki-Oh was until I read a Japanese review of Evangelion that mentioned it.

http://changi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/eva/1218804180/
http://sakuhindb.com/jmanga/7_Skullkiller_20Jyakioh/
http://blog.livedoor.jp/robosoku/lite/archives/46906126/comments/9564013/?p=7
http://wikiwiki.jp/gettercross/?%C1%B4%C0%D0%C0%EE%B8%AD%BA%EE%C9%CA%C6%FE%BE%EC%A1%AA%A1%AA%A1%CA%A5%D0%A5%AD%A1%CB
http://sakuhindb.com/jmanga/7_Skullkiller_20Jyakioh/
>>
>>14125342
Wow, so your "proof" is just from a handful of fan discussions speculating about the origins of Eva, which you appropriate as "evidence" to supoort your dumb headcanon of Anno sucking Ishikawa cock nostop? Way to fucking go, Anno never mentioned Jaki-Oh anywhere, it's all your own and a couple other Nip's delusions.
>>
>>14125365
No, it's not proof. I'm saying it's not an isolated assertion. I don't really care to debate one way or another. I like Evangelion and Anno, but you seem rather heated about deflecting notions of influence.
>>
>>14125313
Ok
>>14125315
He did it, but it didn't influence tv anime plus it didn't really inspire other works. Oshii didn't do it first either, it's been done in literature before. But thanks to Eva it became pretty much a staple trend of 90s and early 00s anime.
>>14125342
Wasn't Nagai a bigger inspiration? Sadamoto even said something among the lines of Eva being a combination of Gundam's characters, Ideon's plot and Devilan's setting. Plus he thought Evangelion was a combination of the words Ideon and Devilman.
>>
>>14125424
>but it didn't influence tv anime

Because late-night TV anime wasn't a thing at the time, but plenty of OVA's had it.
>>
>>14123599
The manga finished last year, the last volume just hasn't been scanned yet.

Also, the movie is just an intro and one that the creator did not approve of or have any involvement in
>>
>>14125504
>finished
Didn't the publishers say that because even they have given up on Nagano finishing?
>>
>>14125504
>The manga finished last year

It didn't, it's still ongoing. Probably as long as Nagano is still alive.

>Also, the movie is just an intro and one that the creator did not approve of or have any involvement in

He said he liked it back when he was in Baycon '91 or so, but claimed that he had no involvement in it, and was rather disappointed that no one working on it asked him for advice.
>>
File: 555 come on now.png (387KB, 598x369px) Image search: [Google]
555 come on now.png
387KB, 598x369px
>>14124993
>Grain removal 5000
Pleb.
>>
>>14125431
>Because late-night TV anime
Yeah, it became a thing thanks to Eva.
>>
>>14125178
rahxephon
>>
>>14128360
You really thank it had better visual direction? The coloring was bland and ugly. The designs were nowhere as creative. The shot composition is masterful and Anno is pretty much the best there is in anime, maybe together with Ikuhara (who hasn't done /m/ stuff) and the none of the animation surpasses the best in Eva.

I won't even discuss the narrative and characters, since people have strikingly contrasting opinion on this but I don't think I've met anyone who wouldn't admit the visuals weren't handled better in Eva.
>>
>>14128392
>The designs were nowhere as creative.
>Evangelion designs
>stealing from old shows
>creative
>>
>>14128392
Anno? The best? Better than Kon, Oshii, or Yuasa at shot composition? You sound like a raging fanboy.
>>
>>14128546
Yes, definitely better than Yuasa. Though all of excel at other things.
>>
>>14128546
>>14128633
Ladies please, all the people you mentioned including Anno are mediocre at best.
>>
>>14128644
They only know directors from the late 90s. Give them a break.
>>
>>14125310
Fuck /m/ and this retarded "Evangelion is shit" poseur's meme. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The show didn't start in a late night slot, and it had amassed a huge following before it was moved to a primetime slot. Unlike you, I distinctly remember being surprised that normalfag coworkers were already talking about it, by episode 11. By the end of the show the majority of my office was watching it.
>>
>>14128769
>Herro! Eye am Japanesu desu
>>
>>14128644
>Satoshi Kon, Mamoru Oshii
>mediocre at shot composition

You're an idiot. Please kill yourself.
>>
>>14125342
gettercross is so weird
I remember reading a Gainax Senki Confucian Era timeline there which lacked any actual Kyomu Senki characters apart from La' Gous
>>
>>14128769
They moved it to a late night slot because it was too grim and mature as each episode went by (like Misato's sex scene), not because it was "so good it gathered an adult following" for dumb delusional shits like you who wank on Evageeks.
>>
>>14128923
>They moved it to a late night slot

Literally never happened.
Eva's original timeslot was 5:30 pm. From episode 14 on, it was moved to an 8:30 am timeslot on the same day.
>>
>>14128923
Yeah, that's what I heard as well, it's after they moved it to that timeslot it got popular. That's also why a boom for late night tv anime spawned after its success.
>>
>>14128968
>Yeah, that's what I heard as well, it's after they moved it to that timeslot it got popular

See >>14128964
And Evangelion's ratings actually dropped when the timeslot was moved. Though the final episodes eventually did reach the same viewership as the first ones.
>>
>>14128653
Besides Kon, none of those debuted with their directorial work in the late 90s. So please fuck off, pleb.
>>
>>14122718
Dual parallel trouble adventure has mecha that look like they are from eva.
>>
>>14128979
>he can't read
They were big name directors in the 90s, which is what plebs know them from. Who the fuck was talking about their debuts? R E T A R D
>>
>>14128964
>anime that literally invented the late-night anime TV slot
>never moved to a late-night slot

Stop pulling shit out of your ass you dumb faggot.
>>
>>14125116
I really wish people would stop posting this garbage image.
>Eureka 7
>EXAXXION
>Bokurano
>Lain

Like really niggah?
>>
>>14122743
>>14122762
Ohranger did have a one-shot monster that looked like an Eva (incidentally, both Ohranger and Evangelion's staffs had to hastily modify some plans due to the Sarin gas attacks).
>>
>>14128999
>your bullshit
>compared to documented fact
Kill yourself.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/新世紀エヴァンゲリオン#TV.E3.82.B7.E3.83.AA.E3.83.BC.E3.82.BA
>>
>>14128989
You're still not right then. Yuasa and Kon became big name in the 2000s.
>>
>>14129019
It said it was moved to a later time slot during the rebroadcast there.
>>
>>14129029
Oshii was a big name in the 80s and Anno was known during the late 80s and early 90s as well.
>>
>>14129029
>Kon
>Paprika
>Perfect Blue
>not a big name until the 00s

Yuasa is the only one who didn't get big until the very early 00s which still fits into the late 90s anime pleb category anyway. Kill yourself.
>>
>>14129037
>第拾参話は30分繰り上げで午後5:30からの放送
>同日午前8時30分からの放映
Stop posting.
>>
>>14129046
Perfect Blue was released in 98 and Paprika in 2006 so I don't know what you're getting at. Especially since Perfect Blue was his first directorial work.

Just fuckin shut up already if you can't form any kind of consistent thought.
>>
File: 7596a1f3.png (2MB, 1250x880px) Image search: [Google]
7596a1f3.png
2MB, 1250x880px
Organic Mecha almost found it's way into Monster Hunter back in 2004.
Hell, one could say that 4U's Gomazios is a rework of the concept.
>>
Eva's flawed but pretty good. People namedropping 20 Japanese guys to defend it or tear it down are so deep in their hobby they forgot how to enjoy something.
>>
>>14129137
Or maybe they're just sick of brain dead casuals constantly claiming it's the greatest thing ever that revolutionized everything and feel the need to retaliate.
>>
>>14129153
It is pretty fuckin good though. Especially among mech anime.
>>
>>14129166
>Especially among mech anime.
That's right. Bait it, brother.
>>
>>14129177
Yeah, because among people that criticize Eva there aren't any contrarians who just aim to instigate the fans knowing it's popular. Please anon.
>>
>>14129186
That's right. Bait it, brother.
>>
>>14129192
Here's your reply.
>>
To me EVA is mostly Nausicaa manga+Devil Man with an Ultraman skin.
I don't really see the Getter inspiration despite Anno saying it.
>>
>>14129250
But I already gave you yours.
>>
>>14129280
>Nausicaa
Delusion is strong
>>
>>14129281
Here's your second reply. Boy, you're on a roll today!
>>
>>14129280
Eva has literally nothing to do with Nausicaa other than the 7 days of fire and the God Warriors, and even that's a stretch because the "giant beings destroying everything in a flashback" is a cliche.
>>
>>14129286
Asuka's backstory is Kushana's backstory.
>>
>>14129286
Asuka is basically a weak Kushana for otaku.
>>14129293
Read the manga, don't watch the movie.
Ending of Nausicaa manga with the crypt and the choice Nausicaa makes is very reminiscent of NGE.
Not even talking about the God Warrior stuff because both take it from Ultraman.
>>
>>14129303
>Ending of Nausicaa manga with the crypt and the choice Nausicaa makes is very reminiscent of NGE.

"Someone chooses to keep the status quo as-is instead of resetting the universe" is not at all original, and the reasons Nausicaa and Shinji had for doing it, and how the event actually occurred, are vastly different. Nausicaa is manga Dune; the only other work I can think of that is remotely similar conceptually is FSS.
>>
>>14129280

You're really sure you don't see it?
>>
>>14125116
>no Getter Robo as influence

really nigger
>>
>>14129310
>"Someone chooses to keep the status quo as-is instead of resetting the universe" is not at all original

Considering Anno worked on both, always said he liked Nausicaa and wanted to animate a sequel to it in the early 90's I'm gonna think he choose to copy that, not Dune which we can't even know if he read or not.
>>
>>14129319
3 pilots?
I mean, I can see the mecha genre inspiration as a whole, but since by the time of NGE Getter Arc still wasn't a thing I don't really see stuff from Go in NGE.
>>
>>14124233
Evangelion invented anime, you silly git.
>>
>>14129321
I only have that version of the image. If you have the one with a couple extra added, I'd be very appreciative if you posted it.
>>
>>14129340
What relation does Arc have with NGE?
>>
>>14129280
>I don't really see the Getter inspiration despite Anno saying it.

>3 units
>Rei sacrifices herself like Musashi
>Gendo is literally Saotome + Go era Hayato
>everything melds together when the pilot and his robot become God
>Shinji becomes unable to pilot the robot due to mental trauma, results in the death of a pilot at the hands of a mob of enemies

Anyway it was Jaki-Oh that he took his inspiration from, not Getter.
>>
>>14129324
He copied Kushana and pasted her into Asuka, with the same backstory. Makes sense because the "sequel" he wanted to do in the early 90's was a Kushana spinoff. And we all know how Anno is with his waifuism. He also said that Ideon's ending was what inspired EoE's, and there are a lot more similarities to that than with Nausicaa's ending.
>>
>>14122718
Didn't Kawamori specifically say that the Nirvash having such a pronounced horn was a nod to Eva-01 in his design works book? Also the mechs in E7 were sleek and organic, which seems to be something that they followed from Eva to me.
>>
>>14123588
>Dragon's Heaven's mechs
Is the manga even possible to find?
>>
I wish the Ishikawafags would wake up of their daydreams of how influential that guy was. No one remembers that guy, he did one fairly popular title and that's it. And by the time he made it it was already a bunch of old ideas and concepts. Ishikawa is not the hidden gem you took him for, he was just another guy doing manga in the 70s. Most of people would not even be able to take him apart from Go Nagai.
>>
File: unknown in blue recctangles.jpg (1MB, 1750x2750px) Image search: [Google]
unknown in blue recctangles.jpg
1MB, 1750x2750px
>>14125116
Any kind anon can pleas tell me the name of those works which I have highlighted in blue rectangles ?
>>
In one of the Big O extras they mentioned that the abdomen part was inspired by EVA. Its a subtle influence.
>>
>>14131303
Nice shitpost bro
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mgloaoNU0q1qd8hs9.jpg (53KB, 293x420px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mgloaoNU0q1qd8hs9.jpg
53KB, 293x420px
>>14131303

You are right, if we don't honor his holy work who will?
>>
>>14131702
>holy

Don't be so delusional Ishicuckwafag.
>>
>>14129373
Gendo isn't nearly as cool as Hayato.

Anyway, it's difficult to say just how much Jakioh actually did influence Eva - some of the more iconic things like Unit 01 eating Zeruel or maybe even Yui's soul probably, but there's no real similarity in story structure beyond the vaguest possible "boy pilots biomachine housing loved one's soul against aliens awakening to reclaim the Earth" description. Shun's basically the opposite of Shinji in almost all respects, his dad and Gendo are also such, instead of rejecting tang he starts donning a Buddhist power armor fleshsuit and merges with Jakioh and just general Buddhist overtones in general, a religion not exactly known for praising individualism.

Plus the Myu Empire and the Angels have nothing in common, the former are basically Saturday morning cartoon villains who are just stupidly evil. They even try making Shun eat roasted long pork at a feast after capturing him and make fun of him after he freaks out.

All in all it's just a minor font of influence, I don't get why people parade it around so much. Eva doesn't even really look like Jakioh, it pulls on the Psyco Gundam side way more.
>>
>>14125660
I thought he hated the movie.
>>
>>14131738
>don't get why people parade it around so much

Just Ishicuckwafags being Ishicuckwafags like with everything else.
>>
>>14131741
Then you need to do your research instead of parroting whatever /m/ says.
>>
>>14131747
I'm guessing you didn't read much of my post, I think I made it fairly clear I like Ishikawa's work. I'm not sure why you feel the need to show off your dislike of the man constantly (and in a fairly stupid way too, honestly) but in any case the original post mentioning it only listed it as one among many influences and as >>14123601 said it couldn't have been terribly influential because Eva didn't spring from the drawing board to the screen overnight, so nobody's really overemphasized it in this thread in particular. And I've never seen evidence of people posting about Jakioh being pronounced "Ishicuckwafags".
>>
>>14129153
Brain dead casuals don't care about Eva in the first place. They're all about whatever entry anime was on TV when they were kids, or whatever is hot right now.

The hate is far more vocal. On /m/ as soon as someone says they like Eva or Anno, or hell, any connection to those two they start namedropping and start an absolute shitstorm.

Get the fuck off the internet if you're really that bothered about people enjoying a 21 year-old, low budget anime. I don't know why you're drowning yourself in brain dead casuals, as you've deemed them, and their opinions.
>>
>>14131780
>Brain dead casuals don't care about Eva in the first place.

No, they are the ones who care about it the most you brain dead casual.
>>
>>14131795
I'm tired of fucking faggots like you on /m/ trying to constantly shit up discussion about anything remotely popular.

Here's your reply, now go eat a dick.
>>
>>14131824
How can he do that when you've very obviously eaten all of them already?
>>
>>14131824
Brain dead casual is mad!
>>
File: 1460244246313.png (237KB, 322x479px) Image search: [Google]
1460244246313.png
237KB, 322x479px
Gundam was deconstructing 70s mecha tropes like Char being an antagonist prince like Heinel in Voltes who was loyal to his people.
>>
>>14131866
Sure it was
>>
>>14131488
Anyone?
>>
>>14131866
Gundam was a deconstruction because it desconstructed a lot of Zakus with its beam saber.
>>
>>14131871
I deconstructed ur mum's butthole with my 12" mecha trope and 9 months later she gave buttbirth to a new genre.
>>
>>14129000
Influence != ripped off from

Though I will say I fail to see any parallel whatsoever with Lain, though it has been a really long time since I watched it
>>
>>14134475
The construction of the narrative, atmosphere and psychological elements.
>>
>>14131488
Things Eva was influenced by

Manga:
Hajime-chan ga ichiban by Taeko Watanabe (shojo manga)

Several manga by Daijiro Morohoshi: Kage no Machi (the giant), Seibutsu Toshi, Yokai Hunter, Shitsurakuen (between Godzilla and Nausicaa). (Not in the image but should be: Ankoku Shinwa because of the ending.. )

Maju Sensen by Ken Ishikawa

Novel:
Ai to gensou no fascism by Ryu Murakami (blue cover next to Ultraman)

Things Eva influenced:

The bottom thing is this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayside_Shakedown

No idea how it was influenced by Eva. Maybe it's just a joke.
>>
>>14136107
That chart is full of shit, with a couple of correct points. It's a troll chart.
>>
>>14136107
>No idea how it was influenced by Eva. Maybe it's just a joke.
No, I remember it had something to do with the music of all things.

Weird that Xenogears isn't on that chart.
>>
>>14136149

No, it's not.
>>
>>14139442
Making your shitposting rounds again, Mario?
>>
>>14139453

I'm Sonic, actually. Don't confuse me with that fat tub of lard ever again.
>>
>>14136653
>Weird that Xenogears isn't on that chart.
It's actually not since Xenogears was in no way influenced by Eva.

Xenogears was in development prior to Evangelion's release and the game was too far into development to be changed after it had aired. All the anime cut scene in the game were finished before the very first episode of Eva aired.
>>
>>14139597
Don't you know? EVERYTHING is influenced by Eva. It's the original mature robot anime.
>>
>>14139599
Yes I am well aware. In fact I remember a kid in my middle school days trying to convince me that Evangelion influenced not only Gundam Wing, but also the Original Gundam and Dragon Ball Z and that Evangelion came out in the 70s before Gundam. His source of course was "some website that was in Japanese that I translated so you can't read it".
>>
File: 29723.png (60KB, 400x370px) Image search: [Google]
29723.png
60KB, 400x370px
>>14122661
Evangelion is a complicated subject.

No, I don't mean the story itself. I mean as an anime. I personally think it's a good anime, with outstanding visual direction, cool designs and an interesting narrative.

But Evangelion was far from my first sci-fi and giant robot anime, so it never seemed to be the end all of mecha as it is to some other people.
I admit, that as a younger mecha fan in my teens, I was a little pissed off by the series. It was only because every person I met was a Toonami kid and Evangelion was their number one. Some even thought that giant robots and anime were stupid, but Evangelion was the best. I grew up in the 90s and it was everywhere. For decades, I've been hearing ignorant opinions about how different, original, influential and groundbreaking Evangelion was.

Frankly, it had become overrated.

But I'm at peace. I like Evangelion and think it's pretty cool. Asuka is mai waifu, Misato is mai mazaa. I fap to Mogu-Rei. I can enjoy and have watched parts of the series/movies multiple times.

However, I will correct someone when they say something fictitious about it. I will illustrate its flaws and break down its narrative along with its actual sphere of influence. I am going to tell you what Anno "borrowed" and will tell you about better anime/directors/designers/animation. Please don't get offended, it's not about malice. As an oldfag, I have to preserve these great works and people need to know about them. If they only stick in people's mind because of their association of being Anti-Eva fodder, then so be it.
>>
>>14140136

Learn to speak actual English before you post next time.
>>
>>14139747
>Frankly, it had become overrated.
Rather underrated.
>>
>>14140156
Learn to read faggot
>>
>>14140136
>a layered, puzz-like narrative, stunning visual direction (especially in terms of shot composition)
Evangelion's budget was pretty shitty and they handled it extremely poorly, though. Anno is a competent director and did say it had outstanding visual direction but really I think you're going overboard.
>the psychological elements especially the way it visualizes the the characters thoughts in a stream of consciousness-like manner and it's overall thematic presentation
I disagree with this entirely. I do not think Evangelion's characters were multi-layed. In fact, I strongly believe they were one dimensional and did not give a meaningful look into character psychology or even psychology in general. The thematic component of Eva basically consisted of obvious visual cue or meaningless religious symbolism. Or the insert song of EoE. So deep. Ultimately, the series ended up being borderline random in its thematic composition, just throwing in whatever Anno thought at the moment. I believe all truly great works contain strong thematic content and Eva didn't really make the cut in my opinion.
>But the more "pop culture" elements it also has lots too offer: intense action scenes, a striking and colorful cast of characters based on very specific traits, a bit of humor
This is what Evangelion had. I agree with it 100%. I believe that this is what ultimately made Evagenlion popular. The narrative introspection naturally comes with popular works. Just look at how people pick apart ultimately inane things like Bakemonogatari (the Eva of harem) or Kill la Kill.
>a fantastical sc-fi setting
Eva had great sci-fi designs, but the setting was as barebones as it gets and not really that fantastical (which might be a good thing depending on how you like your sci-fi).
>>
>>14140170
>>14140173
Shitpost elsewhere.
>>
File: mogudan-example.jpg (239KB, 1127x1600px) Image search: [Google]
mogudan-example.jpg
239KB, 1127x1600px
>>14139747
>I fap to Mogu-Rei
Disgusting
>>
>>14140175
>the Eva of harem
What?
>>
>>14140188

There is nothing wrong with more recent Mogudan.
>>
>>14140214
You can't fap to MoguRei and say you're an Asukafag waifufag. Unless you use waifu in the memetic sense in which case fuck off failed normalfag.
>>
>>14140240
>implying lust = love
Not how it works
>>
>>14140240
I'm not anon, I was just saying.
>>
>>14140175
>Evangelion's budget was pretty shitty and they handled it extremely poorly, though. Anno is a competent director and did say it had outstanding visual direction but really I think you're going overboard.
Shot composition doesn't have much to do with budget.
>>14140175
>I disagree with this entirely. I do not think Evangelion's characters were multi-layed. In fact, I strongly believe they were one dimensional and did not give a meaningful look into character psychology or even psychology in general. The thematic component of Eva basically consisted of obvious visual cue or meaningless religious symbolism. Or the insert song of EoE. So deep. Ultimately, the series ended up being borderline random in its thematic composition, just throwing in whatever Anno thought at the moment. I believe all truly great works contain strong thematic content and Eva didn't really make the cut in my opinion
Watch it again
>>14140175
>This is what Evangelion had. I agree with it 100%. I believe that this is what ultimately made Evagenlion popular. The narrative introspection naturally comes with popular works. Just look at how people pick apart ultimately inane things like Bakemonogatari (the Eva of harem) or Kill la Kill.
Now I think you're just an entry-level contrarian.
>>14140175
>Eva had great sci-fi designs, but the setting was as barebones as it gets and not really that fantastical (which might be a good thing depending on how you like your sci-fi).
Doesn't really get much better when it comes to japanese sci-fi.
>>
>>14140309
>Doesn't really get much better when it comes to japanese sci-fi

Yes, it does. By a whole hell of a lot. And to think you're calling someone else an entry-level contrarian.
>>
>>14140274
>trying to rationalize something on the border of polygamy
Ah, you're one of those "harem" jokers I see.
>>
>>14139597
That actually is only half true. While Xenogear's plot proposal existed in 1994, it was more like the plot of Final Fantasy VII than the product that actually became known as Xenogears and in fact several concepts were reused for FFVII. Basically it went like this, a soldier has multiple personalities meets up with a girl to fight an oppressive regime while larger, world changing events go on in the background. The outline took inspiration from diverse sources such as: 2001, Nietzsche, Jung, Freud, and most importantly Childhood's End.

But here is where things get fuzzy. Square put the project on the back burner for two years and development began in mid 1996. The plot underwent heavy rewrites and Mecha were added as well as more overt psychological themes. The developers have gone on record as having been influenced by Evangelion in terms of the way they explored the themes that were present in the proposal. This extends to the visual direction as well, especially the iconic anime cutscenes. Production IG produced the cutscenes in mid-to-late 1997, shortly after finishing their work on the End of Evangelion movie. Many of the staff who had previously worked on EoE were moved to Xenogears. The visual and directorial influence is undeniable.

So you are only half right. Many of the similarities between the two works come from common influences i.e. German philosophy, Ideon, Biblical analysis, and Arthur C. Clarke, but Xenogears was indeed influenced directly by Evangelion during development and even shared some animation staff.
>>
>>14124115
Reminds me of Tekkaman Blade.
>>
>>14129293
>7 days of fire
but that's a patlabor thing
>>
>>14140777
>The developers have gone on record as having been influenced by Evangelion
Never happened.

> Xenogears was indeed influenced directly by Evangelion
Again, you're wrong.

Go read.
http://betweenlifeandgames.com/analyses/history-xenogears-xenosaga-part-1-xenogears/
>>
>>14141850
One key staff member denies it being influenced by Eva, but the production of the cutscenes takes influence, and while EoE came out in while the game was 75% done, few of the cutscenes would have been completely finished and EoE's primary animation would have been finished almost a half a year before with storyboards having come out a year and a half earlier. The game shared key animation staff with EoE. This isn't to say that Xenogears ripped off Evangelion, it didn't. Most of the similarities can be attributed to them being influenced by the same things, but to deny any degree of influence with only a statement by a single staff member in a group of over a hundred is naive. Soraya was specifically speaking for herself as far as her statement went.

As far as the link you provided, it is working primarily of tertiary sources, that being translations of things singular people said years after development. To be fair, I am too. Most of my conclusions were reached by comparing staff lists and development times for both. And there are actually staff members who have gone on record saying they were watching Eva at the time, which while it doesn't mean they were directly influenced, it does mean they were keenly aware of it.

This doesn't make Xenogears bad, or a rip-off, or anything else. Xenogears is fucking brilliant, I probably like it more than Eva because it has a hell of a lot less wank from the fans. All I'm saying is that there are similarities in the style of the cutscenes and some of the visual direction that come from staff who were directly involved in the Evangelion project at the same time or just before the animation for Xenogears started. That said, I may be wrong about the writing. But the influence on the visual direction given the close proximity of the projects and the reuse of staff is far to coincidental to be deny any influence whatsoever.
>>
>>14142581
>it is working primarily of tertiary sources
Far better than the baseless conjecture you've provided.

Xenogears was in no way influenced by Evangelion this is a fact and supported by the people who worked on the game and the timelines involved.

If you continue to dispute this without evidence, you are wrong by default.
>>
>>14142581
>that brick-like post of pure delusion
>>
>>14142675
Okay, you're probably right.
>>
>>14142581
Does the writing improve in Xenogears? I got to the point where I joined the pirate guy who would fight against his father. The dialogue was just too cringe-worthy for me to bear.
>>
File: psycoVSeva.jpg (425KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
psycoVSeva.jpg
425KB, 1200x1500px
Here's an "influence" for Eva
>>
>>14143635

I'm just surprised they remembered its Psyco not Psycho
>>
>>14143635
Isn't Eva like 100m tall?
>>
>>14143646

It's height changes shot for shot for the sake of dramatic license if I recall. Which is fine by me. I'm not sure they have an official height.
>>
>>14143635

But muh Jaki-Oh
>>
File: Yk8J8RLKmh7tt5hs8xfal1gzo1_500.jpg (31KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
Yk8J8RLKmh7tt5hs8xfal1gzo1_500.jpg
31KB, 500x338px
Does anyone have a gif of the scene where Rei's entry plug flies out of Unit 00 and hits the test room's wall?
>>
>>14143646
I always thought it was supposed to be 40m because Ultraman.
>>
>>14143780
It's height is whatever they felt like it should be at the moment because fuck bothering with that much realism in a giant robot cartoon
>>
>>14143798
I don't even know why it's mentionned this much when every mecha show do this.
>>
>>14143805
I don't either. I hope you're not mentioning that because of the way I phrased it by the way, since I didn't intend for it to read like I have an issue with it.
>>
File: 1318861505676.jpg (190KB, 666x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1318861505676.jpg
190KB, 666x1000px
>>14143760
Yes?
>>
>>14143798
Their height did fluctuate in the show, but 80 meters seems to make the most sense, proportionally (smaller than that and the entry plugs would have to be bigger on the inside than the outside to make any sense). The Rebuild films officially stick with 80 meters, too, so there's that.
>>
>>14143310
No
>>
>>14139747
>I will illustrate its flaws and break down its narrative along with its actual sphere of influence.

I'd like to hear this, Anon, you seem pretty level headed and unbiased.

I'm serious, I know I seem facetious, but I'm being genuine anon.
>>
>>14122661

I wonder where they got bandages that big, who put them on and how long it took? Do you think Unit 01 winced? Did she sit still and just let them put the wrapping on? Or did she grumble? Was it a mechanic? Did they complain that they weren't medically trained and didn't get paid enough for this shit as they did it?
>>
>>14139747
>Asuka is mai waifu, Misato is mai mazaa. I fap to Mogu-Rei. I can enjoy and have watched parts of the series/movies multiple times.

How does a post start off so well and nose-dive so fast?
>>
>>14156567
Who knows
>>
>>14155610
Come on bro
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.