[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't people talk about how cool dancouga is, outside

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13

File: 169123_p0.jpg (212KB, 1550x1000px) Image search: [Google]
169123_p0.jpg
212KB, 1550x1000px
Why don't people talk about how cool dancouga is, outside of Super robot wars? It's basically the Gaogaigar of the 80s
>>
File: Captain Geral Dancouga.jpg (92KB, 640x961px) Image search: [Google]
Captain Geral Dancouga.jpg
92KB, 640x961px
cause its largely forgettable besides a few parts, pic related

I doubt many people have even watched it
>>
cause people thought they knew the story cause of SRW
>>
>>14079646

Yea, very few people, even people who like it, seem to rate it that highly or think it's more than decent all told. I've not seen it to comment, but that's my impression from threads over the years.
>>
File: swiss.jpg (883KB, 640x4800px) Image search: [Google]
swiss.jpg
883KB, 640x4800px
>>14079633

Maybe because it took like 16 episodes for the titular mecha to even show up and even when it did all it did was kind of stand still because the animation was awful.

also forced attempt at making an idol.

it's certainly not without its moments but as a whole it's kind of meh.
>>
>>14079697
That's the awesome part though, it shows that the components aren't completely useless outside of combining
>>
>>14079730
It makes sense story wise, It's cool to see what the mechs and the other pilots can do before the big one shows up.
>>
>>14079697
Swiss do keep their military equipment at home.
>>
File: beasts.jpg (697KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
beasts.jpg
697KB, 1200x900px
>>14079730
>>14079773

I don't disagree on paper but it shouldn't take that long. There's a lot of episodes where not a whole lot of anything happens and it's all just really poorly paced and once they combined they just stopped being useful on their own anyways.

Honestly I think if Dancouga classic was a good bit shorter it would have been a lot better. Less filler and they wouldn't have the spread their non existent budget as far
>>
>>14079633

That is a massive insult to GGG, which is saying something.

>>14079697

It most certainly is without its moments.
>>
File: BURN looks at you oddly.jpg (234KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
BURN looks at you oddly.jpg
234KB, 600x500px
>>14080085
Which is weird, because the show was actually cancelled and lost a bit off the end. That's where some of the concepts went, and apparently helped cause the death of Alan Igor as it was shown in the show?

Requiem being its own thing probably helped a lot though, it looks better than the show did by quite a bit.
>>
>>14079646
So what you're saying is that it is the GGG of the 80s.
>>
>>14080154
>Sell toy of Final Dancouga
>Alan dies and the stupid fucking thing never gets in the show.

Well at least we got Max God.
>>
>>14080251
Final Dancouga wasn't a thing till one of the SRWs.
>>
>>14079633
Cause they were animated like shit for the most part and the OVAs were underwhelming
>>
>>14080283
>A fight mech in a series about little mechs that combine

Yeah, okay. I totally believe they didn't intend to gattai with this shit. NOT.
>>
>>14080283
it was planned to be in the show tho
>>
>>14079646
It's memorable for trying to jam a lot of things into the show.
>"real robot" elements (military setting)
>"super robot" elements (alien invasion, transforming and gattai)
>ensemble cast
>shoujo romance plots
>stunt casting (Laura) riding on Macross' wave of fame (trying to inject pop music as story element)

On the meta side, they had
>TV special ending
>Movie
>OVA
>Character song albums
>Robot toy that has 2~3 transformations and a gattai mode.
>Live Concert with VAs struggling to sing
https://youtu.be/Rf4nA14ayLY?list=PL6X-AybWmk0wIJgcC3q_IlESRVkeTU5Z0

All these things may seem standard for anime now but Dancouga was one of the first that tried to stuff all of it into a package back then.
>>
>>14080314
>>stunt casting (Laura) riding on Macross' wave of fame (trying to inject pop music as story element)

That one didn't work so good and the idol they got for the part retired in shame
>>
Can't believe they managed to turn OP2 into a decent combat track
https://youtu.be/Kcne92sJd1w
>>
>>14080384

that shit was so incredibly gay
>>
>>14080384
I still think that the battle theme for dancouga should ethier be burning rage or I JUST KEEP BURNING LOVE
>>
>>14080150
>That is a massive insult to GGG, which is saying something.
nah, GGG is shit.
>>
>>14080395
>that shit was so incredibly gay
>/out/
>>
>>14080293
They actually do bring up in the show that it wouldn't work, Black Wing runs on totally different systems to Dancouga and lacks all the vital elements that would allow the combination to go through. That's probably a matter of compression forcing them to make that cut early though.

That said, there were plenty of times in old series with combining mechs that support robots which didn't combine with the main characters were things. The obvious case of Jeeg (And Barattack I think?) aside, you get things like the little joke support bots from Combattler and Daltanius (I'd say the Gulver/Gulva/whatever from Daimos too, but Daimos isn't a combiner so I guess it doesn't count).

>>14080409
Burning Rage should never be used as anything other than a combination theme, as a battle theme it wears really thin really quickly because most of the song is the same bits over and over again but as a combination theme it doesn't have that issue.

(see also: EVOLT)

And you forgot the Dankuukougaken Theme, which is amazing and should always go on the Dankuukougaken but I can never remember the actual name of for some reason, and Love Is Miracle. Zankoku Na Fairy Tale is pretty good too.
>>
Oh, but since we're talking Final, I suppose it's a good time to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8OF6VsEZd8
>>
>>14080494

it'd be pretty easy to get around that shit.

Instead of dying the Blackwing gets rebuilt with spare parts of Dancouga and then KEYWORDO

F

I

N

A

L

ROCK OFF!
>>
>>14080411

I know, that's why it's impressive.
>>
>>14080494
is this the track? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2rPKdj7Tf0
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (27KB, 400x328px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
27KB, 400x328px
I actually really like Dancouga

I know it's not the best, but it seemed like quite the ambitious project and it's pretty unique in its setting and execution. It's got its share of pretty cool moments too. I remember cheering when I first saw the Gundor space dragon base.

>>14080085
>once they combined they just stopped being useful on their own anyways
That would be true of any other show, but after Dancouga's first combination, there were still several episodes where the cast didn't combine at all. And although I really like that kind of tacticool approach to combining super robot mecha, it's kind of strange as a narrative element because Dancouga's cast is really underdeveloped. You'd think they'd have them act on their own as much as they do to emphasize their strong personalities and character depth, but then all three of the boys lack any sort of depth and Ryo and Masato barely have any personality whatsoever. I'll give points for Shinobu, though. Kazuki Yao pulls off hot blooded mecha pilot better than any other voice actor I've heard, and I really like the kind of angry, no-nonsense approach they take to his personality.

Anyway, Final Dancouga has the best design of any combining mecha. I paid ~$500 for the Sentinel toys and I have no regrets.
>>
I thought it was solid, but yeah not many people have even bothered watching it.
>>
>>14081744

Solid garbage, yes. Not solid anything beyond that.
>>
>>14080494
>Dankuukougaken Theme
Choujin Tenshou
>>
>>14081751
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot I wasn't allowed to enjoy things, I promise it won't happen again
>>
>>14079633
>Why don't people talk about how cool dancouga is, outside of Super robot wars?

Because it's one of those shows that SRW makes look alot cooler than it actually is. The cool attacks in SRW are only used like once in the OVAs, and SRW usually cuts all the plot where they don't do anything of note.

Kind of like Gunbuster, which has one admittedly kickass battle ep and a bunch of non action ones, but if you only knew it from SRW you'd think it's nothing but Inazuma kicking stuff all day.
>>
>>14082021
I actually get disappointed by its inclusion because they never cover the early parts of the show where they can't combine and just give you the whole thing as it is in God Bless right from the start
>>
File: Dancouga and Gandor.jpg (209KB, 550x827px) Image search: [Google]
Dancouga and Gandor.jpg
209KB, 550x827px
>>14081604
>>14081755
That one, yes.
>>
>>14082038
Old SRWs used to do that - I know Alpha 1 and F did (probably basic 4 too), and 64 gave you the combination early but not the flight pack - but as time went on, they cut all that out.
>>
>>14082045
It's disappointing
I just want to see them grow as a team again under a different context
>>
>>14082062
It's the same thing as the fact that they never do the original Mazinger and Getter plots. Banpresto has some issues with series that have been in SRW for a while that aren't Gundam related.
>>
>>14084099

Honestly I sort of wish they'd give a lot of these CLASSIC series a rest already.
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 157x216px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 157x216px
What few lines did Kaneto record for Ryo Shiba in SRW's sound library? I vaguely remember
>Shinobu, wtf you doing
>I see it!
>>
>>14084859
>Ok, Shinobu!
>>
>>14079646

I looked this up, a Congressional Medal of Honor costs $30 for the US government to produce.

He's just being cheap.
>>
>>14080409

I don't know why Burning Love hasn't been used since...I think AG.
>>
File: RULE BRITANNIA DESS!.jpg (425KB, 661x536px) Image search: [Google]
RULE BRITANNIA DESS!.jpg
425KB, 661x536px
>>14084966
A few years ago I'd say because they just a slightly slower rhythm.

Now, they're probably thinking the new kids will just remember pic related.
>>
>>14084549

It's tradition.

>>14084099

I thought the reason they never do the original Mazinger plot is because...there's not much there. Like with Getter at least there's the fights the manga did
>>
>>14084976
>It's tradition.

Man fuck tradition. They're played out and nothing new is able to catch on because all the old fan wank refuses to die
>>
>>14079696
For me, the good parts were really good, but too many episodes were a bore. Having Kouji as the professor was a good choice, and the villains were great.
>>
>>14084984

It's not because of fan wank, it's because of how important Mazinger/Getter/Gundam were to mecha history.

>fuck tradition

You realize these are the Japanese we're talking about, right?
>>
>>14084966
I find it kinda slow and boring.
>>
>>14084996

I don't know, I liked the AG rendition of it
>>
>>14084986
>It's not because of fan wank, it's because of how important Mazinger/Getter/Gundam were to mecha history.

Nerd history isn't real history. The fans of these shows are well into their 50s by this point. They're not the anime video game buying audience.

Let the new generation have their moment in the sun. Let them build up their own nostalgia and fondness. A whole generation of fans is being robbed the feelings of love of mecha the older one got because the old guard refuses to let go and that's sad.

You're not special because you're old.

>You realize these are the Japanese we're talking about, right?

Just because it's not surprising doesn't mean I have to like it.
>>
>>14079633
>Why don't people talk about how cool dancouga is, outside of Super robot wars? It's basically the Gaogaigar of the 80s

The show is bad. Really bad. It's like a Dragon Ball gone serious. It doesn't surprise me than /m/ doesn't give a fuck about it. Don't even try to compare it to Gao Gai Gar. GGG has better music, better animation, better characters and an overall better story than Dancouga.

Forget about Dancouga and watch Metal Armor Dragonar or SPT Layzner. That should fix your 80s serious mecha craving.
>>
>>14080314
>It's memorable for trying to jam a lot of things into the show.
>"real robot" elements (military setting)
>"super robot" elements (alien invasion, transforming and gattai)
>ensemble cast
>shoujo romance plots
>stunt casting (Laura) riding on Macross' wave of fame (trying to inject pop music as story element)

Except for the last entry everything else was already done by Baldios. Dancouga didn't bring anything new to the table, but then the historical ignorance of mecha shows by most people on /m/ is depressing. We seriously need a refresher course on the story of mecha anime from the sixties up to the 90s.
>>
>>14085042
>Dancouga didn't bring anything new to the table
No one was arguing this point in the thread but thanks for informing us with your superior /m/ knowledge. Good job!
>>
>>14085042
You can hardly blame us for that when Baldios has no subs except for bizarrely its epilogue movie
>>
>>14085039
>Metal Armor Dragonar
Subs when?
>>
>>14085495
>You can hardly blame us for that when Baldios has no subs except for bizarrely its epilogue movie

You're correct. Yey I think it's a crime Baldios hasn't been fansubbed in English. It's one of the better mecha shows from the very early eighties yet languishes in absolute obscurity just because it wasn't written by Tomino. Go figure.

Metal Armor Dragonar is cool, it was Sunrise's hopeful reboot of the Gundam franchise when Gundam proper was going down the drain. Yeah people in the mid to late eighties didn't give a damn about Gundam. It's a pity MAG never went anywhere beyond the first and only tv series.

If translating from Japanese is too difficult, isn't there someone who can translate from Italian ? Damn these 2 series have Italian subs, how fucking difficult can it be to translate them into English ?
>>
Years ago I began watching the show. I got around halfway through, got sidetracked by something else and just never got back to it.
As far as I watched, it honestly wasn't very good. I wouldn't even say it was better than Nova, which people like to shit on.
>>
>>14085698

> Yeah people in the mid to late eighties didn't give a damn about Gundam.

Uh...bullshit. That's the Zeta to Char's Counterattack era and has some of the most popular stuff in the franchise, some of the highest viewership in the franchise and has lots of gunpla.
>>
>>14085039
> It's like a Dragon Ball gone serious
If you seriously believe this, you've not watched either one, the other, or both. Fuck off.

>GGG has better music,
Debatable

>better animation
Dancouga is a low budget show from the 80s and GGG is a high budget show from the late 90s. No shit GGG has better animation.

>better characters
Dancouga has three characters (Sara, Ross and Alan) that have at least a little depth. GGG has zero except for maaayyybe J and Kaidou.

>overall better story than Dancouga
>GGG: The Gutsy Geoid Guard must destroy the non-sentient Zonders attempting to destroy Earth
>Dancouga: The Cyber Beast Force must defend Earth against the Muge Zorbados Empire who are attempting to conquer Earth
They're about on the same level, really.

I've not seen Dragonar, but I didn't enjoy Layzner near as much as Dancouga specifically because the entire first two thirds felt like a huge waste of time. I should have just watched the recap OVA instead.
>>
>>14085757
>Uh...bullshit. That's the Zeta to Char's Counterattack era and has some of the most popular stuff in the franchise, some of the highest viewership in the franchise and has lots of gunpla.

And yet Sunrise were trying to distance themselves from Gundam. If it was such a success why would they do something so seemingly foolish ?

The failure of MAG is what lead to the thousands of Zeon revivals in the UC and Zeon wankfest for the next 30 years. The UC was creatively bankrupt not with Unicorn, it started in the mid eighties. A pity the Japanese Gundam fans never realised it. Sunrise understood it tried to fix it but it capitulated to the idiocy of the Gundam fans.
>>
>>14084976
They haven't done the manga plot for either really though, outside of making Alpha 2's Getter finale have a few manga overtones.

Mazinger has ninety two fucking episodes and some of those had pretty important shit in them, but the only game to actually cover even a small fraction of that was Alpha fucking 1. None of the others did the death of Baron Ashura, the actual circumstances behind the Jet Scrander upgrade (or the underwater upgrade, but then Alpha 1 didn't give that to Mazinger after the buildup so w/e), or any of the other really important events. Hell, they give Mazinger the ability to Mazinpower at the start amongst a bunch of other things. Getter also has a bunch of stuff they haven't covered, although between Alpha Gaiden and Alpha 2 they managed to get through most of the arcs in that show and a few of the episode plots so it's a bit better at least. They still never did Getter's upgrade, the show version of the final bit (which was an entire 5+ or so episode arc), and a bunch of the more interesting weapons.

>>14084984
>They're played out

They've barely been played in the first place in SRW. At BEST you get the villains from the original Getter and Mazinger, but most of the time they don't even fucking give you that.

>>14085004
>Let the new generation have their moment in the sun.

They have, it's why SEED Destiny has been in so many modern games since SC2 and Macross Frontier has been in every game except X-O since L's release. And why Toei Getter hasn't been in since Z, actual original Toei Getter hasn't been in since like Alpha 3 (since Z was just G), and Mazinger hasn't been in since Neo, while UC Gundam aside from Unicorn has only been in main series games, OE, and X-O since fucking GC.

But if you're saying you want more SEED Destiny and Macross F, I'm sure they'll oblige.

>>14085698
If it's so easy, you fucking do it.
>>
>>14085698
I'm pretty sure Luurah will pick up Baldios eventually, so have faith in him. Besides, BlueFixer Subs basically quit fansubbing in general, so Luurah is the most likely person with enough helpers to sub the show.

As for Dragonar, there's already someone translating the Italian dub at /m/ Subs. The main problem with the Japanese translation is Starseeker can only barely give a damn about the show, so Gunlord needs to motivate her (plus the latter has to deal with a dissertation in real life).
>>
>>14086156
>And why Toei Getter hasn't been in since Z, actual original Toei Getter hasn't been in since like Alpha 3 (since Z was just G), and Mazinger hasn't been in since Neo

Personally I think that's just because their actors are getting really old (and in Kamiya's case smoking has kinda destroyed his voice). Furuya is the only one that can still sound like a kid.
>>
>>14085004
>Let the new generation have their moment in the sun

That's what all the new shows are for. That's why they reboot things for the modern audience. These games for the most part aren't for the people who are new, they're for the ones who grew up watching old stuff.
>>
>>14086238
Getter in general gets the shaft. It's absent in almost every portable game nowadays. It's not like the OVAs have been used much either. Hasn't New Getter only been in SRW once?

And with Mazinger it makes sense what with there being two relatively recent adaptations in Mazinkaiser and Shin Mazinger, the former of which is entirely Banpresto's fault anyway.

At any rate, I'd rather have the new stuff over the old stuff because I prefer the newer voices and character designs, and I think it'll have more appeal to newer audiences as well, which ultimately means more sales for DP. And that's not to mention that the old Toei stuff looks extremely anachronistic when placed in the same game as something like Gundam SEED. Granted, something like Shin Mazinger still does, but to a lesser extent
>>
>>14086301
>It's not like the OVAs have been used much either

Of which there are plenty to use, plus the manga if they really felt like it (I mean why not, they used Linebarels' manga).

>Hasn't New Getter only been in SRW once?

Yeah, on the Wii. And it stops at the fight with Seimei, it doesn't have the fight with the 4 gods
>>
>>14085042

Like as if though you know anything.
>>
>>14086326
They did use the manga once, technically, in Shin. It was... kind of bad, but it was Shin SRW so that's to be expected.
>>
>>14088600

And it was the manga, so that makes it doubly expected.
>>
File: Final Dancouga Ver Nova.png (2MB, 1188x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Final Dancouga Ver Nova.png
2MB, 1188x1252px
>>
File: dancougas.png (1MB, 1056x660px) Image search: [Google]
dancougas.png
1MB, 1056x660px
>>14093982

God Bless Nova when
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.